JohnD1956

Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

Today we all met up in the small Northern town of Bancroft, Ont., for the start of a McLaughlin Buick Club tour. Nothing too old on tour this time though, the oldest being a '69 Skylark convert.

I drove the Reatta about 200 miles, and here's a picture of it opposite a lookout. This is a very rugged, but scenic area.

Keith

ReattaLookout.jpg

• Like 5

Took her out to top everything off and bring her home in readiness for a drive to a Car Show tomorrow with a group of friends.

IMG_3089.JPG.df78dd90de6ed7c0e10c6bf629332613.JPG

• Like 2

Took the 80C to a little show around the corner...vapor locked on the way home, again😡👿🤬..new mechanical fuel pump and one replacement fuel line didn't fix it. Electrical fuel pump wont over come it...I'm gonna get the spare carb rebuilt  and swap it on to the car and replace fuel sending unit with a repro, then I've replaced the whole fuel system except the tank...

So tired of chasing this...☹️ so tired of not being about to do a 6 mile round trip...😥

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, 38Buick 80C said:

Took the 80C to a little show around the corner...vapor locked on the way home, again😡👿🤬..new mechanical fuel pump and one replacement fuel line didn't fix it. Electrical fuel pump wont over come it...I'm gonna get the spare carb rebuilt  and swap it on to the car and replace fuel sending unit with a repro, then I've replaced the whole fuel system except the tank...

So tired of chasing this...☹️ so tired of not being about to do a 6 mile round trip...😥

Brian,

What is that saying about 90% of fuel problems are electrical??? I have never seen a vapor lock situation that was not solved by an electric fuel pump. Unless the electric fuel pump is bad, I really think I would be looking for an electrical problem, perhaps you might want to try a different coil from a good running car?  

20180526_105900.jpg.15805e6119753044bd77c702ba54e06e.jpg

I attended the "Made in the USA" car show today at Lake Wheeler Park in Raleigh, NC. I was parked next to a beautiful 1968 Electra 225 convertible. The owner is in the same Buick club as me. 

20180526_100935.jpg.680b8ff2cad12574e151b6fb38a67956.jpg20180526_101009.jpg.0207ae3e8fd3c8eb0e50164d032c27b7.jpg20180526_110534.jpg.1ccb0343e7a8557538742479a2cf8c72.jpg

20180526_102252.jpg.d8a9eae10388e83477c19b482b6570de.jpg

20180526_102305.jpg.3427a2542cc82042e2a670084d057e93.jpg

Edited by NC68Riviera (see edit history)
  • Like 7

43 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

Brian,

What is that saying about 90% of fuel problems are electrical??? I have never seen a vapor lock situation that was not solved by an electric fuel pump. Unless the electric fuel pump is bad, I really think I would be looking for an electrical problem, perhaps you might want to try a different coil from a good running car?  

I believe I have replaced the coil once already.

and had a tune up done on the points and had the dwell set, etc.

It definitely acts starved for fuel.

19 minutes ago, 38Buick 80C said:

but did you replace it with a known good one. I went through all the fuel and electrical scenarios, including new coil, on a '54 once and finally tried a coil from another of my running 54's. Problem solved.

• Like 3

Brian,

If I were you, I would swap a coil from another car that runs well and try it. If that does not solve it, I would swap the condensor from the known good car and try that. If that does not fix it, I would replace the electric fuel pump and see if that solves the problem. Those would be my first three suspects. If none of that fixes it, I would make sure that the exhaust valve body does not have the butterfly valve stuck where it is preheating the carburetor all the time. It is unlikely but possible for the internal butterfuly to be stuck in one position even if the valve appears to be working normally externally. 

i just checked the butterfly it moves freely. Coincidentally the one on the 87 is stuck... I had thought making that no a no pre-heat all the time on the 80C

Last Wednesday I parked next to an awesome 70 GS Stage 1 convertible at the cruise in.  Triple black car made mine look sick.   Didn't see the owner but must have pissed him off as he disappeared shortly thereafter.  I heard later that the car had been under restoration for 20 years.  Meanwhile I've owned mine for 15 years in September, and put 25K on it.  I wonder if he has as much fun with his as I've had with mine?

DSC09229.JPG.1c7a674a7eb2a039f1a0e8df6abfb49a.JPG

Then Thursday nite I took the 56 to a Hemmings Cruise in.  Unfortunately I left home too late and they did not let me in when I got there.  So  I parked on the hill across the street where they send the overflow.  After a short while I left and just enjoyed the drive home.  I didn't even take any pictures but I did get almost 100 miles on it. 

Today I took the Electra to the Buick Day shoot out, at the  Lebanon Valley drag strip, which is 45 miles from where I live.  The Buick shoot out was organized by the Northeast Chapter of the GSCA , whose principals are the same guys who run the BCA Performance Division.  It was a small event for the  Buicks with 18 racers and about another 10 cars for show.  It was my first time at the drag races ever, and I must admit,,it was exciting.  There were at least 90 other cars and motorcycles running today too, but I only watched the Buick powered cars, and instead manned a booth to promote the BCA, and our local Chapter.  As coincidence would have it,  my dream car ( almost) showed up for the display.

1226573953_LebanonValleyshootout20180001.JPG.9be0cb1e325655d6a63cce0bbab65390.JPG

345128067_LebanonValleyshootout20180002.JPG.9c1eda828657b30706dd20f0a666ac42.JPG1685470663_LebanonValleyshootout20180003.JPG.2e007c5c9823dd2e7003c4c01188b2c2.JPG

• Like 9

5 hours ago, 38Buick 80C said:

and had a tune up done on the points and had the dwell set, etc.

It definitely acts starved for fuel.

Brian, by chance , does the 80C have a Morain "pancake" filter just ahead of the carb.?

Ben

Managed to drive 128.6 miles round trip to a Car Show which had another '58 Special 4 door sedan AND a '58 Limited 4 door hardtop mixed in a 400 car show!

IMG_3134.JPG.c25a81873cf70017a317dcd512dfd698.JPG

Top down, 80 degrees, 65 miles per hour on the open road, full tank of high test, wife beside me in the front seat... and the other '58s...

Does life get any better???

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 8

Hi All,

We just returned from our Club President's weekend in he Hunter Valley wine region which is about 110 miles north of Sydney. My '36 is off the road for the moment for repairs so I had a chance to drive a '83 Riv and a '64 Electra....quite a deal different from my '36

Enjoy the few photos....the young lady in the last photo was quite taken with the 72 Riv and asked for a photo. The owner, one of our older members was quite excited!

2 and a 1/2 weeks until I fly to the State, Maine first stop to see an old friend and then back to Denver for the Nationals

Cheers

Paul

DSC04955.JPG

DSC04903.JPG

DSC04924.JPG

DSC04957.JPG

Edited by Paul White
problems uploading more than one photo (see edit history)
  • Like 7

Took the Roadmaster to the local C&C yesterday and parked next to a wonderful all original 51 Roadmaster.  I had seen the car at other local shows but never got a chance to talk to the owner.  It was originally an east coast car owned by a priest.

On the way home I managed to run out of gas about 10 minutes from home.  Still looks pretty good sitting on the side of the road though.  Running out of gas caused it to vapor lock in the record heat we're having, 91 degrees yesterday, 20 above normal.  Hope it cools off for the nationals in a couple of weeks.

Scott

54RoadySunrise.jpg

54-51Roadys1.jpg

54-51Roadys2.jpg

54RoadyNoGas.jpg

• Like 8

are you bringin this to the Nationals !?!?!!

53 minutes ago, raugusti said:

Took the Roadmaster to the local C&C yesterday and parked next to a wonderful all original 51 Roadmaster.  I had seen the car at other local shows but never got a chance to talk to the owner.  It was originally an east coast car owned by a priest.

On the way home I managed to run out of gas about 10 minutes from home.  Still looks pretty good sitting on the side of the road though.  Running out of gas caused it to vapor lock in the record heat we're having, 91 degrees yesterday, 20 above normal.  Hope it cools off for the nationals in a couple of weeks.

Scott

54RoadySunrise.jpg

54-51Roadys1.jpg

54-51Roadys2.jpg

54RoadyNoGas.jpg

• Like 1

Had a nice ride over to the next county in the '60 Electra.

Asked my Wife what she wanted to ride in. "Lot of old guys over there in Holley. Better not take the German car."

"Yes. Stick with a good American named car, Chevrolet or Buick will be fine."

Nice ride, all four windows down and the vents open.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Last Saturday night I drove Rosetta to a meet. She performed well and I was smiling all the way through. On the return trip it was dusk and I always love driving at dusk with an old car. Somehow it has something magical to me.

2B7F761F-6B19-4F7E-8AFC-777E29A0E9A1.jpeg.76465b8921e6408a886836ab16812105.jpeg

( at the McDonalds in between the meet and home - that sun though)

1EA41FF2-DDFE-41AE-BECA-65C54C52554E.jpeg.c5b17e660806ba73c13fc3ba95a7270d.jpeg

(my girlfriend passing me by with her Dart)

CE2A751D-6AE0-46BA-B64F-67D49B49BB8E.jpeg.d7ec5e0b966e711c2b14b22251a963b2.jpeg

(The open road)

• Like 6

Took my newer-older Buick out last Saturday.  Took it to get a new set of Michelins put on it, replacing the date code "19 08" Sears MIchelin Weatherwise radials.  10 years old!  That ONE change made it ride and drive much better!  Drove it about 75 miles to get the tires broken-in some.  No need to replace the struts/shocks now!  A great car for trips!  As I got back toward the farm, a new noise/worsened old noise got louder . . . a/c compressor.  Now parked back in the new building until I get a new one.  When I moved the car, it got quieter, though, but still there. 

Found it on our used car lot!  Started out as a rental car in Hawaii.  Sold to its first retail owner and it lived northeast of Abilene, TX pretty much the rest of its life (according to Carfax).  Something of an impulse purchase after my 2005 Impala broke it's third flywheel.  2005 LeSabre Limited.  89K miles.  Light silver/tan-gold tone leather.  Interior looks really NEW, a few minor hickeys on the outside.  I found an inch of water in the spare tire well.  Later found a lh rr sunroof drain tube that never had been connected to its outside connection!

Bought it to replace the 2005 Impala with 180k on it.  Later determined to keep the Impala (very low resale, even for the miles) as the Buick is too nice for daily/to work uses.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, NTX5467 said:

Found it on our used car lot!  Started out as a rental car in Hawaii.  Sold to its first retail owner and it lived northeast of Abilene, TX pretty much the rest of its life (according to Carfax).

Don't recall seeing your pictures of it Willis.

• Thanks 1

We got back from our weekend tour driving the Reatta last night. Somewhere around 7-800 miles. Lots amazing roads, and views, though we were hampered by some poor weather, but fortunately the rain held bay during most of the driving.

A small group of 10 cars, which included a few late models, 2010- 2016, with the oldest being a nice '69 Skylark convert, the newer were mostly Buicks, though. Actually, only one was a Non-Buick!

After all, our old Buicks started out as new ones too.

Keith

• Like 3

On 5/26/2018 at 10:12 PM, JohnD1956 said:

Last Wednesday I parked next to an awesome 70 GS Stage 1 convertible at the cruise in.  Triple black car made mine look sick.   Didn't see the owner but must have pissed him off as he disappeared shortly thereafter.  I heard later that the car had been under restoration for 20 years.  Meanwhile I've owned mine for 15 years in September, and put 25K on it.  I wonder if he has as much fun with his as I've had with mine?

DSC09229.JPG.1c7a674a7eb2a039f1a0e8df6abfb49a.JPG

Then Thursday nite I took the 56 to a Hemmings Cruise in.  Unfortunately I left home too late and they did not let me in when I got there.  So  I parked on the hill across the street where they send the overflow.  After a short while I left and just enjoyed the drive home.  I didn't even take any pictures but I did get almost 100 miles on it. 

Today I took the Electra to the Buick Day shoot out, at the  Lebanon Valley drag strip, which is 45 miles from where I live.  The Buick shoot out was organized by the Northeast Chapter of the GSCA , whose principals are the same guys who run the BCA Performance Division.  It was a small event for the  Buicks with 18 racers and about another 10 cars for show.  It was my first time at the drag races ever, and I must admit,,it was exciting.  There were at least 90 other cars and motorcycles running today too, but I only watched the Buick powered cars, and instead manned a booth to promote the BCA, and our local Chapter.  As coincidence would have it,  my dream car ( almost) showed up for the display.

1226573953_LebanonValleyshootout20180001.JPG.9be0cb1e325655d6a63cce0bbab65390.JPG

345128067_LebanonValleyshootout20180002.JPG.9c1eda828657b30706dd20f0a666ac42.JPG1685470663_LebanonValleyshootout20180003.JPG.2e007c5c9823dd2e7003c4c01188b2c2.JPG

John, It was great to see you Saturday. The wife and I drove up to give some support to the club event. I could not get my '73 FAST car out for the races because of this weekends Greenwich Concours in which I will be showing the '73 4 speed  and not enough time in between to do both. It was also very nice to see Pete Phillips there also and have him take some pictures of the Black Boat. Sorry I did not take any pictures. (Brain Freeze) It was a 203 mile roundtrip for us in the Electra and it was a pleasant ride both ways to top it all off. Look forward to seeing you again soon.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, philip roitman said:

John, It was great to see you Saturday. The wife and I drove up to give some support to the club event. I could not get my '73 FAST car out for the races because of this weekends Greenwich Concours in which I will be showing the '73 4 speed  and not enough time in between to do both. It was also very nice to see Pete Phillips there also and have him take some pictures of the Black Boat. Sorry I did not take any pictures. (Brain Freeze) It was a 203 mile roundtrip for us in the Electra and it was a pleasant ride both ways to top it all off. Look forward to seeing you again soon.

It was a pleasure talk to you and all of the guys in the Club too.  Your Electra was probably in need of a cleaning  Sunday after watching so many people stop to admire and drool on it.  Pete seemed to be mighty impressed with it as well.  I'll be looking for it in the  Bugle!

• Thanks 1