Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

An interesting Buick day we had today. First we took the '16 McLaughlin for a nice after dinner drive, about a 15 mile loop. Then we took the '41 Roadmaster out for a similar drive, only this time with my son in law driving. I had wanted someone else to get used to driving the '41, my wife is slowly learning, but the manual steering in corners is hard for her, so my son in law had said a few weeks ago that he would give it a try. He drives a stick shift late model Ford, so is used to a clutch, and shifting at least. So his drive was a success, didn't stall it, didn't clash gears. He had a bit of trouble getting used to the slow, lock to lock steering, and swung wide on the first few corners, plus the sheer size of it, compared to his little Ford, but then got the hang of it!

No pictures, you folks will have to believe me!

Keith

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, mike_chapman said:

I moved a 248 ci Buick from one end of the garage to the other while making engine type noises.  Hope that counts? 

I prepared to move my roadmaster from the down the hill garage to the new upper garage. Here is the floor for the old girl after acid staining and before sealing.  Pic 2 is after washing down and neutralizing the acid and is a truer color. Should hide every drip me thinks. The colors will become much more brighter after 2 coats of sealer.

IMG_20190921_115549.jpg

20190921_190204.jpg

• Like 2

September has been pretty much a wash out around here with rare glimpses of clear weather (usually while I’m at work!). Got some decent weather between storms off the Pacific on Saturday so got the Electra out for an afternoon cruise. These pics are at the extreme west end of the airport, which gives views of the ocean and Vancouver Island on the horizon.

I am am not ready for the autumn Buick’s thread yet John!

06CED66D-0D11-40B3-9D34-D892865B8061.jpeg

C7684978-3769-449A-9848-5AD6FF1111B1.jpeg

287D6398-4431-49FF-BD4E-94A008598156.jpeg

• Like 6

With the trees already turning here in the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, ran the Roadmaster to the Columbia Valley Show and Shine this weekend. 380 miles round trip, with no issues and no complaints (apart from cleaning the bugs from the windshield and grille). 

The show takes place on the golf course in town, and somewhere north of 800 cars filled up the town. Great weather and a great event. 

Along the main road into town is the “motel village,” and people were lined up in lawn chairs along the roadway, watching the cars motor through. On Friday night there is a *ahem* informal drag race for those who feel so inclined. As I cruised past one group of chairs, a woman smiled and held up a sign at me that said “RUBBER!” in large black letters. 

I laughed and called out “Sorry, doll - not in a full-figured Buick!” 

Great weekend and a great event. 

6EC4F5F3-A79B-441A-A5DA-A078A3E6D229.jpeg

60A13C93-4588-4E57-BBAD-F4EA67D0C7C8.jpeg

Edited by JBP (see edit history)
  • Like 8

outstanding !  and to think that some of the dems running for president want everyone of these cars off the road and scrapped by 2040.  I didn't go anywhere in the Buick this weekend. Spent both days working out the bugs in the 46 Dodge after a new clutch, throw out bearing and sleeve, new (French lake)  trans, front wheel cylinders, lines and shoes.  My 93 year old Uncle is due in town this week and he owned one.  Am sure he will do plenty of driving in the 49 Buick as well to make up for the weekend off.

• Like 3

Attended the Custom and Classic Educational Foundation Car Show held at the Harford Vineyard and Winery.

My 54 is in the back left.  Must have just arrived.  The hood was still closed. 

69354666_2280885625555844_84734841988107

My wife attended with me. We sampled some wines.  Went home with 5 bottles.   It was a great time and wonderful drive in the countryside.  

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, dmfconsult said:

September has been pretty much a wash out around here with rare glimpses of clear weather (usually while I’m at work!). Got some decent weather between storms off the Pacific on Saturday so got the Electra out for an afternoon cruise. These pics are at the extreme west end of the airport, which gives views of the ocean and Vancouver Island on the horizon.

I am am not ready for the autumn Buick’s thread yet John!

06CED66D-0D11-40B3-9D34-D892865B8061.jpeg

The pictures of this car bring back some memories of a similar one I saw about 40 years ago.

. For many years I worked in the East end of downtown Toronto, and one summer I often saw an Electra, this colour, and a similar year parked on the street near where I worked, on nice days with the top down, and a couple sitting in it eating their lunch. The driver was always the woman, quite pretty, and seemed much younger than her 50ish companion. Whose car it was, and what their relationship was, I never found out. I could of gone over and talked to them, but was too shy, Though now I wish I had! The car at that point in time would of been something like 12-15 years old, and still looked good, paint was faded a bit, but no rust noticeable, which was remarkable itself here in Ontario, Canada. I just loved those long sweeping lines of that big Electra.

Often what happened to that car, and the people in it.

Thanks for posting!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Missed the weekend but went out tonight at the next to last Cruise-In for the year @ Brews & Cues.

Got there early and picked a nice spot affording a view of the cars coming in.

IMG_5944.thumb.JPG.3a14c99d17988ca7eb911b795b4b7694.JPG

Biggest showing of the year so far and lot's to see.

IMG_5945.thumb.JPG.c2e03fc8aaf33d0cdfff7d4184df7468.JPG

IMG_5948.thumb.JPG.0f7bbfcb9286a03d3736000c36611d1e.JPG

IMG_5954.thumb.JPG.158122b0bdc5cecc5d6da7b3c1515f70.JPG

And of course what car event would not be complete without not only one 1958 Buick but TWO!!

IMG_5950.thumb.JPG.f20e77e49f402965cb31fe7581286bb5.JPG

Just had to stay until it came by for a picture of them together.

IMG_5962.thumb.JPG.29e121b28e8027dc7c086e8cdef58502.JPG

IMG_5963.thumb.JPG.7d214ec494acb03135b54e7aa2976b51.JPG

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Drove the '92 Wagon 212 miles round trip to the Central New England Chapter Show.  The wagon turned over 184,000 miles on the way home.  Traveled with some others and maintained a steady 65 MPH on the mostly highway drive.  The little car got 29 MPG on this trip, but that is without A/C as it is still broken, and with the winter tires since I never got any others for it this summer.  While I took a lot of pictures of the other cars, I forgot to get a picture of the Wagon at the show?  but no matter, I really enjoyed driving that car! 

I also had the pleasure of meeting Bill and William, Grandfather and grandson, who bought this Buick last year! 

951667603_DSC01097(1).thumb.JPG.2446d508056026e0249d155f8096904e.JPG

Young William was very interesting to talk to.  I first met him when he came to check out the Wagon.  And later when I spoke to them about their car.  I did not get Williams age but he is obviously not driving age yet.  And he was so excited about the car show and showing "his" Buick.  He is a budding gear head and handy with a wrench too.  He wanted to put in a radio that uses Blue-tooth technology and Gramd pa let him do it.  William bought the radio he wanted ,  removed the old unit,  installed the new unit, and Grand pa couldn't have been prouder!  It was nice to see this.

• Like 4

Ohio Region CCCA had an outing today to the Liberty Aircraft Museum in Sandusky, Ohio. We met at a local garden spot then drove to the museum about 40 miles away (more on that in a moment). We took the '41 Limited and had a nice 1-hour drive to the meet up and at this point, I've decided that running the Limited down the highway is as easy as it gets. I try to keep it around 58 MPH but it consistently creeps up and I find myself frequently backing down from 65-70 MPH. I also noticed that it seemed happier there, so I let it run where it wanted rather than constantly staring at the speedometer and lifting off the throttle to drop it back down to where I think it should be. It smooths out and hunkers down at about 67 MPH, so that's about where we ran. Doing the math, it's really only another 300 RPM or so beyond the 58-60 MPH where I liked to keep it, so what's the harm? The big guy wants to run.

We've been to the museum before, but since I don't want to be a hypocrite complaining about non-attendance at our event last week and not showing up for someone else's event this week, we went and had a nice time. A handful of other cars showed up, not a great turnout but not the expected zero, either. I was disappointed that our tour leader and organizer didn't drive his 1931 Pierce-Arrow that he never stops talking about but never drives--he drove his PT Cruiser instead. Meh. 

Nice lunch while we were there, then a heavy rain storm, then we loaded up for the two-hour drive home. All-in-all we put about 230 miles on the car today completely without incident. Have I mentioned how much I enjoy this car?

Liberty1.thumb.jpg.65896a71c4acb72f7edc5ad95ba8e7da.jpg
Riley was my navigator on the drive up to the meeting place.
Melanie and Cody in back (Cody was a little under the weather
and slept most of the day but was 100% good sport about it).

Liberty2.thumb.jpg.f41f41c07f6e234e1dfd79aae9e514fc.jpg Liberty3.thumb.jpg.45acee4f8b58a35019e51f262bd74c64.jpg
Morning meet-up. Two Packards, one Cadillac, one Pierce-Arrow, and two Buicks,

including Margus Sweigard's 1932 Model 96.

Liberty5.thumb.jpg.7074aa850f32c5852800275e7cd7c01a.jpg  Liberty6.thumb.jpg.383622ed205e06229201f9f7834c686c.jpg

Drive to the museum with threatening weather over on the other side of Sandusky Bay.

Liberty7.thumb.jpg.b7412c608a27256e145299b67e4afd26.jpg

Liberty8.thumb.jpg.e1e2462352a3d6067c9ce8a4521d5218.jpg

Liberty10.thumb.jpg.9e57debf8d63cc10ede7b3b7a38d87ee.jpg  Liberty9.thumb.jpg.dfb5b60515b16881ed5b8345f5225f56.jpg
Full Classics lined up at the Liberty Aircraft Museum.

Liberty11.thumb.jpg.b8095b389d4aa7763a5360340603c009.jpg

Fully operational Sherman tank with a PT boat under restoration
in the background. 

Liberty13.thumb.jpg.5bef55eef101296ccec5b3ae986ccf23.jpg

Fully restored B-35 bomber was spectacular!

Now about the drive to the museum. It was... problematic. I've been thinking a lot recently about how we as hobbyists interact with the public and how we're ambassadors for the hobby. At worst, we're simply a curiosity and at best, we're attracting new people to the hobby. I love touring with a group of cars--the convoy of vintage iron going down the road is one of my favorite sites and it can really be a big deal for "civilians" along the way. 

So here's my problem. Our leader, driving a modern car, set the pace at about 22 MPH. On a 55 MPH road. At 11:00 on a Saturday morning. I am not kidding. Eventually, traffic behind us looked like this:

Liberty4.thumb.jpg.f7c0a6da2303fa1f0a84f550755f7c72.jpg

As the owner of a fairly slow old car (the 1929 Cadillac), I completely understand trying to let the older cars keep up. However, there were no cars at this event that could not go 50+ MPH. And all we were doing was getting in the way of about 50 people who had places to go, and the net result was that they were angry at the old cars, not excited to see them. Instead of showing people who don't know about old cars that they are usable and fun, we merely reinforced the stereotype that old cars are slow and fussy and delicate and the people who own them are selfish jerks. I get it, there's no race to get there, the journey is the reason we're doing this, but 25 MPH in a 55 MPH zone is completely unacceptable. And worse, the tour leader--in a modern car--rode his brakes down every hill, causing all the old cars to ride their brakes to avoid hitting him. He's an experienced old car guy, and I was really frustrated that he was so completely out of touch with how to manage it properly. Set a reasonable pace that's comfortable for the slowest cars, and put them at the head of the line, then get out of the way.

Ultimately, after about 20 minutes at 22 MPH alternating between 2nd and 3rd gears, we peeled off from the group and found our own way to the museum. Again, I know it's not a race, but I didn't want to be a part of pissing off all those people and running along in 2nd gear for two hours wasn't my idea of fun. According to the directions, the drive was supposed to be 41.2 miles and about an hour and 15 minutes. Our alternative route was almost 60 miles and we were in a faster car, but we were still at the museum almost an HOUR before the rest of the group. They just limped along at 20 MPH ALL THE WAY.

Anyway, I had a talk with the gentleman who didn't agree with my thoughts (and maybe you won't, either, and that's OK). However, if we're going to keep using our cars on public streets, we can't demand that everyone else get out of the way and treat us like a parade. You can't go slow to guarantee that nobody gets lost or separated. That's what directions are for. If we're going to be ambassadors for the hobby, we can't let civilians think that old cars are a problem or become a hassle for them.

Sorry for the long gripe session. Please continue to organize events, but also be mindful of others who share the road and may not understand anything about old cars other than what's right in front of them. Keep that in mind and work to make everyone's experience with old cars great, not just the guys who own and drive them.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Buick admiration.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Hello Matt;  In Simcoe last summer the club there used the nose to tail style of touring and when I said it was a silly practice, for the reasons you laid out, I was chastised.  We are all given printed turn by turn instructions so I why follow in a herd?  Like you, I think, when I travel I want to look at the farm yards, stores, lakes and rivers, not to participate in a traffic jam.

When I go out in my 1913 Buick with cars going 25 to 35 MPH the general public loves to see our cars, parked and in action.  If traffic is piling up we pull over onto paved shoulders or even stop in a parking lot to let them pass safely.  When the tour begins at 9:00 some will leave at 8:45 others at 10:15 and lunch is between 11:30 and 2:00.  During the Lansing to Dearborn Endurance Run about 50 cars leave Detroit early in the morning and for the last 35 years, no complaints or police involvement.

BTW, I am going to today with my local car club to a Museum and it will be parade style, however, Sunday afternoon back roads should be light traffic.  Try to leave space for modern cars to pass.

Regards, Gary

DSC_1899.JPG

Edited by cxgvd
more story (see edit history)

Matt, 

I also totally agree on touring style.  As those of us that drive our old cars, we all know that each car has it's own "sweet spot" and limping around at someone else's ideal speed can be frustrating.  I know that my '15 Buick truck likes 30 mph +- 2 or 3 mph.  The '13 Buick likes about 37 +- 2 or 3 also.

All of the tours that I have been on use turn by turn directions which everyone to drive to the destinations at the happy sweet  spot for their vehicle.

Not exactly driving but I have to share. Yesterday, I accompanied a friend to Winston Salem, NC  where we extricated a 1966 Skylark from the basement garage where it was parked 40 years ago in 1979. The extrication was complicated by the garage being perpendicular to the driveway and the disabled Jaguar parked on the far side of the driveway in front of the garage. My friend will have his work cut out on bringing this car back. The moisture in the garage caused the worst mold/mildew in a car interior that I have ever seen. It is an interesting car, equipped with power steering, power windows, and electric windows. The wasps did not appreciate when we got near their nest on top of the left front tire of the Jaguar. It required some creative winching, some hand rolling on wheel dollys, but we got it out and onto the trailer for the four hour ride home. 

DSC_0050.JPG

DSC_0057.JPG

DSC_0060.JPG

DSC_0065.JPG

DSC_0069.JPG

DSC_0072.JPG

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Looks like you did all the hard work, Matt!

We actually split most of the hard work, but it was easier taking photos when I was operating the winch. I really like my friend's winch. For the last few decades I have typically used a manual come-a-long to load cars on trailers. The electric winch is a LOT more fun to use. 

• Like 1

Was able to get the wagon out today for a 100 mile or so drive.  I really enjoy driving this car, it just seems to run better every time I drive it!  Just getting over 12 weeks with a broken foot so trying to make up for lost seat time before the rains of Fall kick in.  (Photos taken by back seat passenger over my shoulder)

BA55804E-41B0-4E18-80DC-3186DC3C9697.jpeg

30466519-D7B7-4BE5-A43A-4316B2BCD72D.jpeg

• Like 10

I have been busy and haven't posted in a while. Two weeks ago was the NE Buick races and show at Cecil County Dragway. Drove the '75 Electra to Atlantic City to hang with Buick friends and then to the show. Over 450 miles all together. Had a great time, toured to the Herr's potato chip factory and won a trophy in the show. The ride back was a blast. Was in a bit of a rush Saturday afternoon on the way home due to another car engagement. The car drove like a top, 75-80 MPH the whole way. 🙂  Mileage is now 24,772. Started at 18,500 two years ago.

71498977_2624309120966295_1652518899410796544_n.jpg

IMG_0649.JPG

IMG_0717.JPG

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I also took the '73 GS stage1 4 speed to the Radnor Hunt Concours. The featured class was Buick, The designs of Bill Mitchell. I have and probably will never again see so many Buicks at a Concours. It was an honor to be invited, had a great time with lots of friends from the BCA and local clubs. Marty Schorr wrote a nice article on the Buicks at Radnor Hunt. He used my car as the feature photo! 🙂 Here is the piece written about my car. and a photo with Alan Oldfields '75 all original Pace car next to it. His car only has a little more than 3000 miles on it.

fullsizeoutput_60bf.jpeg

IMG_0340.JPG

fullsizeoutput_60bc.jpeg

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)
  • Like 6

I always like seeing pictures of your car. My last memory of a real Buick on a showroom floor was a 1976 Park Avenue four door in triple black. Shortly after that car left the dealership the 1977's came in. I remember my father and I stopping in one Sunday and laughing at the blank little replacement. There was a pale green one sitting there. We looked at the rear and I asked "Is this some kind of Plymouth?"

image.png.fa843370657ef4a9e76dcc0efb93703b.png

• Thanks 1

Monday,October 14 was Canadian Thanksgiving Day and the last day for advanced polls for the soon-coming federal election. We drove the '29 McLaughlin-Buick to vote. We obviously voted for the only political party that is campaigning to push through more pipelines and keep Canada's economy steady. That old Buick needs an assured supply of fuel !

IMG_1463.JPG

• Like 4

Took advantage of a beautiful fall day to take my father and Goldie to the Northeast Classic Car Museum in Norwich, NY.

https://www.classiccarmuseum.org/

A relaxing ride from my house along scenic two-lane roads through Hamilton, Sherburne, and other quaint small towns.  A little over 100 miles round-trip and Goldie had fun meandering up the hills and through the valleys.  Leaves just approaching their peak and bright blue sky made for an enjoyable ride each way.

image.thumb.png.8433c233a4ab2d82181ff00bd26fca06.png

Some of the Buicks...

image.thumb.png.3420cac4be228446f517c7f5ebb66717.png

image.thumb.png.3ef8f31181cd22a22a376beca94fe403.png

image.thumb.png.1741fafc04fe69353cccd8145bc2bb48.png

image.thumb.png.02e9000816f7d45d85f60879834eee98.png

image.thumb.png.6b7c3171adc024106eca1a8e959447e9.png

...and did I mention they have the largest collection of Franklins?  The ol' man looks right at home in this one!

image.thumb.png.19a5a71ed4c4d82e5cefb8b965897c8b.png

image.thumb.png.ec1462ce8f952296384e24c45c4eaba7.png

image.thumb.png.8907f56e2aa76d79de0c7a84762f3036.png

A good time was had by all!  ;)

• Like 7

Went to an orchestra concert at Marywood University tonight. Was High School kids from all of the area and clear down by Philadelphia.  My son played in one of the groups and my daughter is the President of the National Association for Music Educators in our region and was organizing the event.

Drove the Buick. Had the top up and quarter windows. Wasn’t too awfully cold.

Snapped this when got back in the garage.

E212B045-7F70-478E-B09E-36AFA1D67523.jpeg

316AAC9B-1BE5-4853-B084-037593DD1311.jpeg

• Like 4

Put about 160 on the '56 today, going to Staatsburg, NY for the annual gathering of old cars. The ride down was great!  But it started raining around 1pm which caused a massive run for the exit gate. Since this site is South of the Dutchess County fair grounds in  Rhinebeck, NY we had to drive past the Sheep and Wool Festival being held there.  Before you laugh at the thought, I was told that the number of attendees yesterday was 45,000 people, which was bigger than the annual car show held on this site in May each year.  Anyway, I guess the people there didn't care for the rain either and so,  suddenly,  it took almost one hour to travel about 11 miles.

After a bite to eat I headed home and when I was about 10 miles away from home I heard what I can only describe as a groaning/ grinding from the car.  A few sharp turns showed persistent noise while traveling straight, Increased noise when turning to the right, and significant reduction, almost elimination of the noise when turning to the left.  I did not have time for any diagnostics tonight though. But it was very disappointing to think I have another issue with a front wheel bearing.  

Otherwise the car ran fantastic and it was a very nice event till the skies opened up. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Didnt really drive the car tonight.  But, our Scranton AACA Region had our annual Installation banquet tonight.  The Buick and I received the Roy Clark Memorial trophy.  This award is for a club member who has restored a car and had it present on the show field at our yearly AACA event.

Was a great time and had a great turnout for the event.

Matt

0FC102DD-5372-459E-8452-E3EC762C3DFF.jpeg

873AC40C-B495-4E90-8E02-9121C3552C88.jpeg

2A67B64C-F6A9-4A4D-8C2F-D537EB07C128.jpeg

Edited by jackofalltrades70 (see edit history)
  • Like 10