Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

@Matt Harwood  That '58 is a Super, Matt, not a Special.  And it is indeed SUPER!  Thanks for posting

To the '58 Guys,  What is that plastic tube  running from the radiator support towards the firewall, and next to the generator?  Is that a factory piece?  Can't say I've ever seen that before.  Also, would the ac lines run over the top of the radiator support?  Or should they go through it?  

10 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

@Matt Harwood  That '58 is a Super, Matt, not a Special.  And it is indeed SUPER!  Thanks for posting

To the '58 Guys,  What is that plastic tube  running from the radiator support towards the firewall, and next to the generator?  Is that a factory piece?  Can't say I've ever seen that before.  Also, would the ac lines run over the top of the radiator support?  Or should they go through it?  

The fellow that owns the Super has had the car at the Flint National and indeed is one beautiful Super! 

(Now, if I could just remember his name...)

Not having had any 58's with air I can't say what that tube is for or remember seeing it before (that mind thing again??) but as to the ac lines, Tony (TP32) owns this Limited and shows his system with the lines in the same place not through the support.  

IMG_3099.thumb.JPG.41e7ca2b99b76c63784c6e3a78b7c2f3.JPG

His car is stock with the original air system in good working order.

IMG_3098_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.28579e659d0fa15151c79fd94c61b5d3.jpg

Any one else on the tube question?

The tube looks like on later A/C cars there was a duct on the back of the generator and the tube ducted outside air from the rad support to it for cooling

you can just make out the bracket on the rad support 

i am not a 58 guy but i know i have seen it on 61 buicks

might be a retrofit

i don't think the tube material might be the original material though

maybe the owner did it himself because it is not on the pic of the other 58

Thanks for the responses.  Tony's car as posted by Dei indicates there isn't even a hole in the radiator support, while the one from Matt looks like there is a plate there for a hose hook up.  Sure does add to the crowded conditions under the hood! I assume it is not a factory piece for the '58. 

Meanwhile,  met some BCA friends for breakfast this am.  About a 78 mile round trip.  Kinda wish the '56 had AC...but maybe someday...  It was still a great ride and except for the loud truck tires on the highway,  very enjoyable.  

385611538_DSC00366(2).thumb.JPG.5b985876bb0b7abfd20f1b158e180a5e.JPG

• Like 3

We did some driving in the Reatta, were hoping to take in a cruise night in another town, but there was some rain, but near our home, on the way back, I saw this faint rainbow, and got this shot of the Reatta and the rainbow.

About 50 miles, or so in it.

Keith

IMG_20190806_2021412.jpg

• Like 6

On 8/5/2019 at 4:49 PM, JohnD1956 said:

What did your friend think? Would have been equally impressive if you picked em up in the '59 wagon.

😎

It would have been impressive, although more awkward...people going to the airport have enough grief dropping people off or picking people up without thinking about old cars showing up...there’s a bunch of stuff hanging out in the back as well and the front seat is marginally attached as we need to deal with carpet after floor repairs.

I don’t recall his specific comments, but it did stand out, making it easier for us to connect (not a huge airport).  He agreed the car is very 70s.  Our later drive required seating for five, so we took the Envision.

• Like 2

Well for Thursday it only rained for part of the day so we drove over 1/2 of the day and only put on 44 miles for the day.  We went on a cruise on the St. Lawrence seaway and had lunch on the boat.  Another great day.

IMG_20190808_091548791.jpg

That is Marty Roth's Packard to the right of the picture.  The white colored car.

IMG_20190808_135712592_HDR.jpg

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Friday was the shortest day with a visit to Fort Henry in Kingston.  With a heavy storm coming in, we went back to the hotel after the tour & lunch at the fort which went to almost 2:00. We literally got the car in the trailer 30 seconds before the heavens opened up with heavy rain. Great time, but only 12 miles for the day.

Now heading back home to get ready for the BACK to the Bricks event in Flint this coming Saturday.  If you are near, bring your Buick to join in the fun.  At the Durant/Dort carriage building and Factory One on Water Street in Flint.  The fun starts at 6:00AM.

IMG_20190809_100058432.jpg

IMG_20190809_135556106.jpg

IMG_20190809_094605034_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190809_094628785_HDR.jpg

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the photos from the Vintage Tour.  Glad the Buick performed well, see you in Flint.  Today, Saturday, we are off to Bothwell, On for a huge car show with a swap meet.  Gary

22 minutes ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

You folks are lucky up north this time of the year with shows and swaps. Down here we have to wait until it cools down some and your tires don't catch fire sitting on the parking lots 250 degree asphalt !

Yeah, but you do not have 4-6 months of snow.

• Like 2

Just now, Larry Schramm said:

Yeah, but you do not have 4-6 months of snow.

Yes, I think that is more then a fair trade off !  Labor Day here is a crap shoot on if it will be 105 or 85.  Nobody wants to go to a show and be standing on a parking lots asphalt when it will blister your feet

10 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

Well for Thursday it only rained for part of the day so we drove over 1/2 of the day and only put on 44 miles for the day.  We went on a cruise on the St. Lawrence seaway and had lunch on the boat.  Another great day.

IMG_20190808_091548791.jpg

IMG_20190808_135712592_HDR.jpg

Our 1937 Roadmaster is too new for this pre-1932 tour,

but

THANK YOU LARRY for including our 1930 Packard touring in the above shot.

I'll add some of my pics of all of the Buicks on the AACA VINTAGE TOUR when I can get them organized

• Like 2

We had hoped to be at the MD show but family obligations keep us close to home. Instead we drove the 1925 Standard about 50 miles this week. "Beulah" seems to be very happy now. On the other day my friend Peter needed me to re-machine sleeves to fit new rear axle bearings for his 1927 model 54 sport roadster. (He is changing it over to Buffalo wire wheels.) He always teases me on what a poor performing car the Standard 6 Buicks are. He does like his Masters! I did a 5 mile drive with him and he was impressed on how peppy and responsive my 1925 is. I do credit Reeve Enterprises for the great rebuild they did on the engine. It better run well and be peppy!

Today we did another 20 miles with a full load of passengers. Life is good.

• Like 2

Today I was not alone at the Holley Falls.

004.thumb.JPG.1b7be8849fad0a400bfceb33b26412a0.JPG

First lunch on that village square with the clock.

Raise your hand if you know Wray (Riviera conv) and Ron (Reatta) from the Buick tent at Hershey.

003.thumb.JPG.765c33bc7333e5feeac2974406ac6016.JPG

007.thumb.JPG.f4430a10c7b00bc8fbdf9552c462dbf7.JPG

small group from the Fingerlakes Chapter had a nice outing.

Bernie

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Our 1937 Roadmaster is too new for this pre-1932 tour,

but

THANK YOU LARRY for including our 1930 Packard touring in the above shot.

I'll add some of my pics of all of the Buicks on the AACA VINTAGE TOUR when I can get them organized

Some pre-1932 Buicks in Kingston, Ontario last week on the AACA VINTAGE TOUR:

More to be added:

1928 Buick - Michael Witt - Winchester, VA

1918 Buick E-44- Arnold & Gail Kerry - Ontario 

More to come when the FORUM allows me to add pics

4CA50AC6-8402-4346-AE91-75992DAD0515.jpeg

60DDBDC9-B949-4F62-A7AF-D0CA4F92FAF8.jpeg

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Loaded the 1939 Century for a day at the Bothwell, On car show.  Arrived early, paid $10.00 entry fee, parked and unfolded lawn chairs, we we're set for the activities.

A middle aged man approached my wife and I and declared his love for a '39 Imperial sedan.  I gave him the whole tour of our car and he said he especially liked our side mounted spare tires and wished he had that option on his Chrysler.  He also thought our dynaflash engine looked more interesting than his spitfire straight 8.  I then went over and viewed his Imperial, I coveted his beautiful, crack free, ivory steering wheel.  Why should Buick wheels be so poor?  His car had a standard overdrive transmission and he explained the operation to me.   I didn't ask but I think most overdrive cars have very slow rear axle ratios and my faster ratio likely gave me similar engine speed as his car while cruising.  I noted his Chrysler was outfitted with radial tires and he told me he drove about 80 miles down the freeway to be at the show, Bev and I came about 35 miles on old bias ply tires.

The first two pictures are my car at the show and then his, followed by as many general photos as are allowed.  BTW I informed him of a pre war car weekend later in August so we may see him again.  Hope so, good guy.

Regards, Gary

DSC_1484.JPG

DSC_1495.JPG

DSC_1515.JPG

DSC_1503.JPG

• Like 5

I was at the Bothwell Swap Meet Friday with friends but did not drive the Special.

Instead we chose to go to WAMBO in Wallaceburg 0n Saturday with the Buick.

Unfortunately the two shows fall on the same weekend but with having classic boats and firetrucks to add, plus the fact Cindy can shop a bit and get out of the heat, it means that show is the must do if she is joining me.

IMG_5648.thumb.JPG.356990d700ce370c3d46c125dd25460e.JPG

Just one of the classic boats and yes that much over used term applies to wooden boats.

IMG_5636.thumb.JPG.a5f6772682344cc1fffac8eeef10800a.JPG

Of course a good steak and lobster tail dinner for 20 bucks doesn't hurt either! 😁

IMG_5655.thumb.JPG.da214c381ad56cab88223b3e5cabf42f.JPG

Covered about 180 miles taking the looong way home in the mild evening air with the top down. 

Life just doesn't get too much better than this.

Except if maybe I owned one of those classic boats??

NAW. I'll just keep enjoying my three "land yachts".

703235024_58Buicks-AllthreeMarch1990.thumb.jpg.612dad7c3d121ff28b0f9afc83a2cced.jpg

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 6

27 minutes ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Hopefully it wasn't just for coors light or some other "light" stuff that is only good for washing tires off with

That's funny! 

It was an old brand here Dad used to like, OV.

• Like 1

We had a good weekend driving Buicks, and McLaughlins too. Started off with a corn roast at a car buddy's place near Niagara, so we drove the Reatta, and that was about 130 miles round trip. Drove out with the top down, as it was a lovely summer day, however my lady insisted of top up on the way, after dark, as the air was much cooler!

Also on Friday afternoon, I got all of the paperwork necessary to transfer the registration, and get plates for my new (old) one, a 1916 McLaughlin, so I stopped enroute Fri afternoon and got my plates. So of course Sat morning we just had to go for a drive in it! Around 10 miles, then another 5 or 6 later on. Today, my son and I took it out for a 26 mile drive around our county roads. Ran perfect, temp held steady, and no issues were apparent. Fastest I went was not quite 40 mph, kept it to 30-35 most of the time. It feels like it will go much faster, but don't want to over do the old machine, besides, it only has 2 wheel mechanical brakes!

We are hosting the pre war tour that was mentioned in a recent post, and if all seems well with it, I might drive it on part of the weekend.

We also did about 30 miles in the '41 Roadmaster, which is also officially a McLaughlin Buick, so I have a picture of the two McLaughlins on the front part of our place. No pictures of the Reatta this time though.

Keith

TwoMcl1_Sml.jpg

McLForest1_Sml.jpg

TwoMcLDash_Sm.jpg

McLEng.jpg

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 12