Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

Drove my 1970 stick shift Wildcat 240 miles round trip to the Pate Swap Meet north of Ft. Worth, Texas this weekend. Had time to wax and polish it all over--cleanest it has been in 3 or 4 years! First Pate Swap meet in many years that wasn't threatened by spring thunderstorms or hail!

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX.

IMG_6503.JPG

IMG_6504.JPG

• Like 16

Had a nice Buick day. I used the Reatta for some errands this morning, then after supper I took the 41 Roadmaster out for a 45 min drive. When I was at the gas station, it was gathering quite a bit of attention already, when a Telsa pulled in, (at a gas station?!), and the driver, a 30's to 40's guy, stared raving about the car.  Turns out, the reason he was in the gas station was to run his electric car through the car wash!

Keith

Buick41_atDuskSml.jpg

• Like 11

5 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Forgive me for not being familiar with the vernacular, but what does "torch ball shoe change" mean? I'm sorry for not understanding, but I'd be very interested to know if those wheels were a bolt-on or if he needed to do some major modifications.

Thanks for sharing!

Hi Matt,

Apologies , didn’t notice spelling mistake , should have read torque ball , rubber shoe seal change , Buick owners always complain about the notorious Torque ball on transmission and tendency to leak , well mine did , but purchased new seal kit from Bobs automobilia basically little rubber shoe and following recommendation that guys shop was the best for American cars , ended up there and very satisfied , dry as bone since.

will ask him your question next week 

cheers 

pilgrim

My wife Bonnie finally got her first ride in "Miss Vicky", our '25 Buick Standard Coupe. In fact,it was the first run for the car this year.Runs like a watch.

Jim

1925 Buick first run 2018 001.JPG

• Like 17

20 minutes ago, Buicknutty said:

Jim, very good looking car, what is the colour? On my screen it looks to be a very dark maroon.

Keith

Hi Keith

It is a maroon colour.I don't know from what exactly.I plan on getting it scanned so I can at least get some touchup for it.

12 hours ago, J.H.Boland said:

It is a maroon colour.I don't know from what exactly.I plan on getting it scanned so I can at least get some touchup for it

Ir reminds me of a '41 colour, Titan Maroon, that is so dark it looks black, especially in poor light.

Keith

Drove to the National WWII Museum Wednesday with VERY SPECIAL PASSENGER Kathryn Smith in the 1937 Roadmaster Phaeton :

Reenacting the role of FDR's Gatekeeper Marguerite (Missy) LeHand, private secretary and Right-Hand Woman for more than twenty years, serving as de facto Chief of Staff to the president, a position never held before or since by a woman, Kathryn Smith offered a presentation at the National WWII Museum.

She arrived in grand style since this Buick, in the service of NYC Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia, did transport President Franklin Delano Roosevelt as well as other dignitaries in Ticker Tape Parades. 

We aquired the Buick back in 2009, at that time showing a mere 7,xxx miles. Having driven several national tours, it exceeds 13,xxx on the odometer. Retaining the original convertible top and most of its original paint and upholstery, the Roadmaster has been awarded the AACA HPOF and HPOF ORIGINAL recognition. It is occasionally called to serve for friend /family weddings, as well as functions such as this one.

We appreciate Tom Gibson, a friend of Kathryn, suggesting the idea of "Missy LeHand" arriving at the National WWII Museum in a car which actually may have transported LeHand, along with the president. Museum staff and publicity personnel were at the entrance to greet "Missy LeHand" as she arrived. The Roadmaster Phaeton and I were honored to have been a part of it. 1009182723_1937BuickatWWIIMuseum-4.jpg.49df851a0183d9dd0dd9139b54b819c6.jpg

1937 Buick at WWII Museum-3.jpg

1937 Buick at WWII Museum-2.jpg

Edited by Marty Roth
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 10

On 4/29/2018 at 10:02 AM, Matt Harwood said:

I'd say you guys in Australia definitely know how to old car. Fantastic! Wish we could get that kind of outing going around here. I miss seeing a large group of pre-war cars on tour. 

You could always join us on the next run, there should be spare seats!  The American dollar is back with a vengeance so it would be kind of cheap for you to come across??!!

Well, we drove the 1971 Buick Riviera to church Sunday.  I drove the 1941 Buick Roadmaster out for real gas before taking it to a restoration shop in Sarasota, Florida, and we've driven the blue 1939 Buick all over town mostly test driving after rebuilding brakes, and working on a correct tune-up adjustment that revealed a bad coil and miss-set spark plug gaps.  Trying to get it ready for the upcoming AACA Sentimental Tour in Mississippi in November.

To her favorite National, Jamey Carroll, from Mrs. Judy Beauchamp of Sebring, FL a photo of her national prize winning restored 1971 Buick Riviera.JPG

Our 1941 Buick 71 B.JPG

Suzybelle at Hershey 4a.jpg

• Like 7

This wasn't the weekend but Monday, April 30, 2018 and a sad day for Buick Friends in Flint. The funeral for Robert A. Leets, past director, Buicktown Chapter, past Buick Club of America Board of Director, and DJ for the Back to the Bricks event in Flint. The Back to Bricks committee was asked to bring their cars to the funeral, well so did I. '68 GS 400 convertible 4-speed, red and several other BCA members and BTTB folks brought their cars. check the pictures out here!

20180430_135912_resized_1.jpg

20180430_140004_resized_1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We drove The Aqua Zephyr to lunch today. It was a prefect day for a Sunday drive. The wife spotted the blooming Rhodesians so we had to stop, admire them and get a few pictures of the Riviera, too! 

20180506_110154.jpg.bc27776e135188d674a4d93e4488584b.jpg

20180506_114607.jpg.d8aa21878efe66c061152b65960667ce.jpg

Edited by NC68Riviera (see edit history)
  • Like 5

We took the '75 Electra to a 2 hour show with the Lower Huson Valley BCA and a local Cadillac club to Green Chimney in Brewster NY. This is a school for the whole spectrum of developmentally challenged kids. The kids had a wonderful time touching, getting in the cars, blowing the horns occasionally. It was a wondeful feeling sharing our cars with them and it was a great group of kids. Some of us then went to a show in New Milford Ct. that started at 12 for a friend who suffers from Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. This was a well attended event with 225 cars, a mobile dyno and an eclectic gathering of cars ranging from Tuner cars, to American vintage. I left  that show with another Buick buddy about a half an hour from the end to get home early. On the ride home I recieved a phone call from another friend saying the Electra won Best of Show and he had my trophy. What a great and rewarding day in more ways then one. 

IMG_1486.JPG

IMG_1518.JPG

IMG_1490.JPG

IMG_1491.JPG

IMG_1492.JPG

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)
  • Like 11

Congratulations! I worked in Family Court the last few years of my Court system career. The court sent some kids to Green Chimneys residential treatment center. It always had a good reputation and the kids sent there seemed to do well

Edited by retirednow (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I have been a real delinquent with the Buicks this Spring. Today I stole the battery from the '38 Allis-Chalmers (it is a six volt but has no charging system, the 12 gives it a good kick) charged it and started the '64 Riviera for the first time since Fall. "Oh, crap, it would only take a couple hours to put a new plug in the manifold exhaust crossover." Forgot that.

We took the '60 Electra over to the next county for lunch on Friday. And I started the '86 Park Ave convertible early in the week, but didn't drive it on the two convertible days we had.

I bought two overhead doors for my garage last fall and parked the convert and the Riviera as if the doors were there, shut them off, and said, "I'll drive them out the new doors in the Spring, didn't happen either.

Those are excuses. The root of the delinquency is the BMW I bought in February. I figured it out a couple days ago while reading a post about venturing into the hobby in the Riviera Forum. Comments were made on the Dynaflow. I have always enjoyed them and they never seemed lacking to my driving style. I gotta tell you, that BMW 6 speed automatic feels like the Triple Turbine Dynaflow in my Electra. The shifts are imperceptible. I have felt it downshift coming into town a couple times but upshifts are like butter, The 6 liter V12 with 48 valves matches the 401 for my chauffeur style driving. My Wife and I both love it. She just unwillingly retired with osteoporosis. My truck, the '60 Buick, and the BMW are the only ones that feel good to ride in. This week we will get the '60 out a little more. AND I will park the cars 90 degrees so I can get them out of the existing doors.

Maybe it is time to write an ad; '86 Park Ave convert, '94 Impala SS, 8', and 9' garage doors.

Bernie

• Like 1

Well, maybe Spring is really here to stay this time...  Took Goldie to Cars 'n Coffee Saturday morning.

IMG_0899.JPG

I know there are some Reatta fans out there (first I've seen thisIMG_0895.JPG one locally).

OK, so this is an Olds, but I figured Doug would still appreciate it!

IMG_0898.JPG

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I was going to tow my 1937 Century to Auburn, Indiana for the 36-38 Buick Club tour. The borrowed 2014 Ford F250 Super Duty tow truck suffered a major brake system failure about 2 hours into the trip. I limped it to a Ford dealer and left the truck and trailer there. I unloaded the Century and drove it over 300 miles today. I am about half way there, so tomorrow, I will have between 300 and 350 miles more to drive.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MCHinson said:

I was going to tow my 1937 Century to Auburn, Indiana for the 36-38 Buick Club tour. The borrowed 2014 Ford F250 Super Duty tow truck suffered a major brake system failure about 2 hours into the trip. I limped it to a Ford dealer and left the truck and trailer there. I unloaded the Century and drove it over 300 miles today. I am about half way there, so tomorrow, I will have between 300 and 350 miles more to drive.  

This deserves more than just a "like".  Wish we had a WOW button!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MCHinson said:

The borrowed 2014 Ford F250 Super Duty tow truck suffered a major brake system failure about 2 hours into the trip. I limped it to a Ford dealer and left the truck and trailer there.

I bet that Ford had a dual master cylinder, front disc brakes, radial tires, 12 volt electrics. Just thinkin', you know.

Bernie

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We arrived at the host hotel just after 4 pm today. That makes it almost exactly 24 hours for the trip from Cary, North Carolina to Auburn, Indiana, with a stop overnight in Charleston, WV. The trip odometer shows 702 miles traveled when we arrived at the hotel. It was a great trip. We enjoyed some of the variety of the roadways seen in the US. We traveled on a lot of Interstates, some other large roads, small mountain country roads, a bit of the old Lincoln Highway and about everything else you can imagine.  We ate a great meal at an Ohio truck stop that has been in operation since the 1950s on the LIncoln Highway. The waitress asked if she could have a photo taken with the car, so we went outside and another of the employees took a bunch of photos of her with our car.  I took a few photos on the road to hopefully capture a small sample of the sights. These were shot with the "hold up the camera, point it through the windshield without looking through the viewfinder, and push the button technique". On Sunday, I typically drove between 65 and 75 miles per hour most of the trip. Today, since I was not trying to get anwhere before it got dark, I took my time and we cruised at 65 mph. I knew that the speedometer was off a little so when I thought to check it via gps today, I remembered that it displays 3 mph slow at those speeds, so I guess today's average cruising speed was actually 68. This Century is happiest when going down the road with the speedometer showing between 60 and 65. The Ford truck had a nice air conditioner, but to be honest, we were comfortable in the Buick going down the road with just the cowl vent open and the back wing windows open. That gives you a nice gentle breeze through the car with little wind noise. For those who think you need to modify a car to enjoy it, I will point out that this is a 6 volt car with bias ply tires, and the original unpressurized coolant system. It never needed a drop of water added to the radiator. We have already had a great trip and now we get to tour with friends old and new in the 36-38 Buick Club for a few days! 

DSC_0341.JPG

DSC_0344.JPG

DSC_0345.JPG

DSC_0346.JPG

DSC_0348.JPG

DSC_0351.JPG

DSC_0352.JPG

DSC_0353.JPG

DSC_0354.JPG

DSC_0355.JPG

DSC_0356.JPG

DSC_0365.JPG

DSC_0362.JPG

• Like 15

14 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

We arrived at the host hotel just after 4 pm today. That makes it almost exactly 24 hours for the trip from Cary, North Carolina to Auburn, Indiana, with a stop overnight in Charleston, WV. The trip odometer shows 702 miles traveled when we arrived at the hotel. It was a great trip. We enjoyed some of the variety of the roadways seen in the US. We traveled on a lot of Interstates, some other large roads, small mountain country roads, a bit of the old Lincoln Highway and about everything else you can imagine.  We ate a great meal at an Ohio truck stop that has been in operation since the 1950s on the LIncoln Highway. The waitress asked if she could have a photo taken with the car, so we went outside and another of the employees took a bunch of photos of her with our car.  I took a few photos on the road to hopefully capture a small sample of the sights. These were shot with the "hold up the camera, point it through the windshield without looking through the viewfinder, and push the button technique".

DSC_0341.JPG

DSC_0344.JPG

DSC_0345.JPG

WOW 2!  Thanks for sharing all the photos Matt!  Looks like an excellent adventure!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 50jetback said:

12 Buicks from the Western Australian Buick Club put around 500 mile on the clocks over Friday,  Saturday and Sunday on the annual Autumn Run.

http://www.westernbuicks.org/autumn-run-may-2018/

Another WOW post!  Great tour opportunity.  Thanks for sharing those pics Stuart. 

Another first for this year.

This was the Official start of the weekly Monday Night Cruise-In's at a local bar/restaurant called Brews and Cues. Had an excellent beer battered fish and chips dinner and spent the evening looking at about 50 cars. Some new ones have showed up over the winter. 

The day/evening was nice so a great start for the local car season!

IMG_2991.JPG.38da428a578f7d00310e5089063fedee.JPG

• Like 2

Today is VE Day, for Victory in Europe, the beginning of the end of WWII, so I was invited to bring the '41 down to Nathan Phillips Square, a large public space outside of Toronto City Hall, for the celebration. There were a few other cars as well, my friend with his '41 Special sedan, an ex Canadian Army Jeep, a '40 Ford, and a '51 Lincoln.

It was a good day, weather was perfect, car ran well, and I dressed up in a double breasted suit and Fedora to fit the period. The driving to and especially from, had terrible traffic. The mileage for the day wasn't too high, maybe about 30 or so round trip, but it felt longer due to the slow traffic.

Spoke to many, many people, and I let a few sit in the car, and there must of been hundreds of pictures taken of it. The young woman pictured sitting in it, wanted her picture taken with her and me standing beside the car. Wish I'd had a picture of that! I asked someone to get a shot of us, but they messed it up. Many people were tourists, and one gent from Finland spent 15 minutes of so talking to me about my car, and telling me about his love for American made cars.

I also added a couple pictures of the City Hall, a rather spacey looking building with a saucer in the middle, flanked by the curved sections at the sides. Anyone guess when it was designed? Sixties, did someone say? You're right!

Keith

CityHall1.jpg

CityHall2.jpg

CityHall4.jpg

CityHall5.jpg

CityHall6.jpg

CityHall7.jpg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Buicknutty said:

Today is VE Day, for Victory in Europe, the beginning of the end of WWII, so I was invited to bring the '41 down to Nathan Phillips Square, a large public space outside of Toronto City Hall, for the celebration. There were a few other cars as well, my friend with his '41 Special sedan, an ex Canadian Army Jeep, a '40 Ford, and a '51 Lincoln.

It was a good day, weather was perfect, car ran well, and I dressed up in a double breasted suit and Fedora to fit the period. The driving to and especially from, had terrible traffic. The mileage for the day wasn't too high, maybe about 30 or so round trip, but it felt longer due to the slow traffic.

Spoke to many, many people, and I let a few sit in the car, and there must of been hundreds of pictures taken of it. The young woman pictured sitting in it, wanted her picture taken with her and me standing beside the car. Wish I'd had a picture of that! I asked someone to get a shot of us, but they messed it up. Many people were tourists, and one gent from Finland spent 15 minutes of so talking to me about my car, and telling me about his love for American made cars.

I also added a couple pictures of the City Hall, a rather spacey looking building with a saucer in the middle, flanked by the curved sections at the sides. Anyone guess when it was designed? Sixties, did someone say? You're right!

Keith

CityHall1.jpg

CityHall2.jpg

CityHall4.jpg

CityHall5.jpg

CityHall6.jpg

CityHall7.jpg

I wish we'd been back in Canada for that, Keith. What a great opportunity to interact with the public that isn't a car show. Kudos!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I wish we'd been back in Canada for that, Keith. What a great opportunity to interact with the public that isn't a car show. Kudos!

Thank you, Matt. That was part of the reason I did it. All sorts of people cross through that "Square", as its near a main Provincial courthouse, and many businesses.

• Like 1

Today, we traveled another 60 or so miles. First we traveled to the Black Pines Animal Sanctuary. After that, we had a great lunch at the Kountry Kitchen restaurant. We then toured an amazing Shell Oil and Coca Cola themed collection. We then toured the Mid-America Windmill Museum. It was a fun day.

DSC_0391.JPG

DSC_0475.JPG

DSC_0482.JPG

DSC_0487.JPG

DSC_0493.JPG

DSC_0513.JPG

DSC_0517.JPG

DSC_0384.JPG

• Like 11

Today, we drove about 40 miles. We enjoyed an informative tour at the Sechler Pickle factory.  We drove through a covered bridge. We toured the Hoosier Air Museum and enjoyed a great lunch on the site.  We later returned to Auburn where there were several different museums to choose from. 

After I got back to the hotel, I realized that I brought the camera charger for my old camera rather than the new camera. I drove about 40 miles round trip to Fort Wayne to pick up a charger that would work from Batteries Plus. Later this evening, I determined that the new charger was defective. I called and confirmed that they had another in stock so I made the 40 mile round trip a second time before they closed this evening. With the two trips to Batteries Plus, I drove a total of 120 miles today.

DSC_0568.JPG

DSC_0592.JPG

DSC_0609.JPG

DSC_0602.JPG

DSC_0651.JPG

• Like 12