Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

On 2/2/2018 at 3:45 AM, Pilgrim65 said:

Love the car Bernie , bit spooky photo though, bit like a Hitchcock movie scene , no people! ?

1800 people in that village, not like the 10,000 over on my side of the county line. If Alfred Hitchcock or his heir ever wanted to do a sequel to The Birds called The Squirrels this is the place.

We only drink water that has been boiled in a coffee pot and limit lunch choices of bird and fish.

It is a five mile walk for me along the Erie Canal towpath from my village or one to the west. I walk it and meet my Wife there for lunch and a ride back, never without my trusty shillelagh.

Bernie

• Like 1

The '41 Roadmaster ran great all weekend. I could maybe have been smoother, but it basically ran great.  I stopped on the way home and bought $20 worth of gas (ethanol gas) at $2.59 @ gallon.  I had run the car down the road for a  half hour or more at 60-65 mph like an arrow.  While stopped the temp needle went on up.  Even with a new radiator and water pump she seems to run a little over 200.  That stumps me a little.  Immediately after getting gas the car seemed to have vapor lock, but the electric fuel pump didn't seem to help.  The last 15 miles she ran rough.  I decided it was some bad gas with water in it because it was so immediate and didn't clear as the temp came down.  So yesterday I put in a bottle of HEET (yellow) and also some Startron.  She started and ran perfect.  All in all we drove about 100 miles on Black Beauty's Maiden Cruise and the other people on the CCCA Tour seemed to like the car.  All encouraged me NOT to repaint it.  A former CCCA National President said it might not be a 5-foot driver, but it was certainly an 8-10 driver.  Non-Ethanol is only available at one place where I live in Sebring, FL and it was $3.729 last week.

Black Beauty at Mountain Lake Resort.JPG

Black Beauty in Group Picture with other Full Classics.JPG

Black Beauty featured with other Full Classics.JPG

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

The '41 Roadmaster ran great all weekend. I could maybe have been smoother, but it basically ran great.  I stopped on the way home and bought $20 worth of gas (ethanol gas) at $2.59 @ gallon.  I had run the car down the road for a  half hour or more at 60-65 mph like an arrow.  While stopped the temp needle went on up.  Even with a new radiator and water pump she seems to run a little over 200.  That stumps me a little.  Immediately after getting gas the car seemed to have vapor lock, but the electric fuel pump didn't seem to help.  The last 15 miles she ran rough.  I decided it was some bad gas with water in it because it was so immediate and didn't clear as the temp came down.  So yesterday I put in a bottle of HEET (yellow) and also some Startron.  She started and ran perfect.  All in all we drove about 100 miles on Black Beauty's Maiden Cruise and the other people on the CCCA Tour seemed to like the car.  All encouraged me NOT to repaint it.  A former CCCA National President said it might not be a 5-foot driver, but it was certainly an 8-10 driver.  Non-Ethanol is only available at one place where I live in Sebring, FL and it was $3.729 last week.

Black Beauty at Mountain Lake Resort.JPG

Black Beauty in Group Picture with other Full Classics.JPG

Black Beauty featured with other Full Classics.JPG

Looks like a scene out of the great gatsby , love it!

I know the 41 to late  for era , but it’s class  fits in well

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks for the pictures, looks like a great time was had. Much better than here in Ontario!

This was my experience when I did my '41 Roadmaster. First I ran cleaner through the system quite extensively, flushed it, then knocked the frost plugs out and could not believe how much cr.p was still in the back 2 or 3 cylinder's water jackets. Must of got half a coffee can or so out. After all that, and a fresh rad, it usually runs 180-190 F in warm to hotish weather. Though it will easily top 200 if stopped in a hot traffic jam. I added a (non authentic) rad fan to help with this.

Keith

1 hour ago, Buicknutty said:

Thanks for the pictures, looks like a great time was had. Much better than here in Ontario!

This was my experience when I did my '41 Roadmaster. First I ran cleaner through the system quite extensively, flushed it, then knocked the frost plugs out and could not believe how much cr.p was still in the back 2 or 3 cylinder's water jackets. Must of got half a coffee can or so out. After all that, and a fresh rad, it usually runs 180-190 F in warm to hotish weather. Though it will easily top 200 if stopped in a hot traffic jam. I added a (non authentic) rad fan to help with this.

Keith

I just talked to Doug Seybold and he does a couple of things.  One is he removes the spring apparatus in the thermostat housing and runs a 160 thermostat.  I think mine is a 170 or 180.  I've heard of removing the spring bypass thermostat before.  My car had one with that removed and I put in an authentic one.  Doug also machines something in the thermostat housing.  So, I'm going to take him the old one out of my car to the AACA convention in Philadelphia and let him do his magic to it and send it back to me.  I'm also getting a lower thermostat from him.  I had a number of 150 degree genuine Harrison thermostats but I've used up all that I had over the years.

11 inches of snow. 3-10" is a dusting. That's about what we got Friday night.

So, Saturday I came back from having coffee with the cars guys in my Wife's Tahoe, put it in 4WD and drove in a big loop around the back yard. I made sure the front wheel passed within a couple feet of the man door to my garage.

I put an 8' LED light fixture up in the back of the garage for a test and managed to lean something against two of the LED bulbs. I put good ones in yesterday and stepped back to see the results. That's when I polished a little of the Riviera rear quarter with my rear quarter. As I left the garage I pulled my shirt sleeve over my hand and dusted off the length of the '60 Electra. That was the extent of my Buick experience yesterday.

The light is really nice. I am going to pick up 9 more.

Bernie

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 50jetback said:

What happens to Ruby over winter?

Ruby in Cyprus. parked in the car port I built specially , had a soft cover then a waterproof cover , held on with bungees . All alone but my friend checks often . Good news off there in two weeks and will take her out a few days weather permitting. Can’t wait ?

On 12/02/2018 at 6:58 PM, Pilgrim65 said:

Always read this thread ,particularly as I miss Ruby over winter , so looking through my photos here’s one taken end one the summer , reminds me of good times past and good times to come .

E2AC6C47-40A7-4054-B3C8-386503CF2745.jpeg

With Ruby's toothy grin and the grin on all the faces in the car, not hard to tell everyone is having a good time! :)

Good to hear you are getting back to have some more fun.

Following the rain this morning, I went out to the Farmers Branch Historical Park this afternoon and took a couple of photos in the sunshine.  May be a couple of days till the Buick can go out to play again, since rain is in the forecast for several days. AACA meeting tomorrow, so maybe if the weather man is wrong, the Buick can get out sooner.IMG_0551.thumb.JPG.4aa3119225257eb364ee1ba9240dc821.JPGIMG_0552.thumb.JPG.65db719ef491fa782c3e883fc64fcbcd.JPG

• Like 11

We had a local AACA Tour today. I put a little bit over 150 miles on my 1937 Buick Century.  We had a good turnout with 9 antique cars plus quite a group of folks driving modern cars. It was a good day with great food and good friends. After a great Barbecue lunch, the group stopped at the Country Barn Bakery and bought a lot of great stuff that none of use really need but always enjoy. Of the 9 antiques, 2 were Buicks, a 1935 40 Series and my 1937 Model 61. Some of our members enjoyed ice cream and Kettle Corn from their "modern" Kettle Corn setup. On the way home, I stopped at an old gas station building and took a few photos of my car. 

DSC_0221.JPG

DSC_0227.JPG

DSC_0222.JPG

DSC_0230.JPG

DSC_0232.JPG

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

On 2/17/2018 at 3:47 PM, jvelde said:

Following the rain this morning, I went out to the Farmers Branch Historical Park this afternoon and took a couple of photos in the sunshine.  May be a couple of days till the Buick can go out to play again, since rain is in the forecast for several days. AACA meeting tomorrow, so maybe if the weather man is wrong, the Buick can get out sooner.IMG_0551.thumb.JPG.4aa3119225257eb364ee1ba9240dc821.JPGIMG_0552.thumb.JPG.65db719ef491fa782c3e883fc64fcbcd.JPG

Weatherman was not wrong, has rained every day since Saturday - think we are at about 8 inches and still counting.  Supposed to be  sunny Sunday and Monday, so may get to enjoy the Buick then.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jvelde said:

Weatherman was not wrong, has rained every day since Saturday - think we are at about 8 inches and still counting.  Supposed to be  sunny Sunday and Monday, so may get to enjoy the Buick then.

It was a tepid 63* here on Tuesday, with sunny skies.  Fresh off snow on Monday the roads were coated with salt!  But I got the 56 out in the driveway for a while.  Then it was 72* here yesterday, with cloudy skies, and since I have a head cold I didn't get to take a car out. Probably just as well since the roads still appeared to be coated with salt.  Today it is 33* and it's snowing!   No wonder so many people get sick!

Been a long winter break , but uncovered Ruby today  , dirty but all Ok ,3/4 hours on trickle charge started first time 

magic !

went and filled the tank didn’t really need it half full , but I had to have an excuse to take her out ?

give her a thorough clean tomorrow, seems like the only cleaning job I enjoy ? 

be looking for good weather days now , great to be back on the road.

cheers

pilgrim

5A7B65D3-EB9D-494C-9FC1-EADCD5013E3C.jpeg

9EACD8B2-6983-4416-8E97-03441AB7AC2A.jpeg

91044288-FA9A-41BD-80CF-ED3740886CF9.jpeg

• Like 12

After a lot of rain the last few days, I finally got to a task that I've wanted to do for a while, that is, get Glenda's Wildcat out to the new place. No pictures of it on the trailer, I was too intent in getting it moved, and on and off of the trailer to get my phone out.

So, first I got to drive the Wildcat around a bit the driveway a bit, then we drove the Reatta to town for some shopping and lunch. At least we didn't buy too much stuff, so it all fit in the trunk!

Then we went back to the city place, drove Glenda's Envision out for dinner. Then I moved the 41 Roadmaster from the shelter to the main garage, but I just had to take it for a short spin!

Lastly, a short hop in the '02 Rendezvous.

So a four Buick day, including the more modern ones, of course.

Note the lack of snow, compared to pictures I posted less than a couple of weeks ago.

Keith

ReattaFeb24.jpg

ReattaGarageF24.jpg

WildcatNewHome.jpg

• Like 7