Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

On 12/19/2017 at 2:55 AM, Bill Stoneberg said:

We took a long drive amongst the ranches of this beautiful Texas Hill Country.  The car is parked at one of the low water crossing on the upper Guadalupe river. We ended up downriver a ways and had a steak for dinner. While we were sitting on the patio, the sun went down on the same river.

IMG_1276.thumb.jpg.5828092d74928a2eb148e2bd35ac2228.jpgIMG_1285.thumb.jpg.24b0ab94e931ad01e001016948009b8b.jpg

Love Texas Hill country, went to school in Kerville

Almendrón was extensively exercised this week on Thursday and Saturday when it took part in a movie shoot to be release in 2019. Thursday he ran in a country highway setting and on Saturday it participated in a street scene with various classics in Miami Beach. You can note the license plate prop depicting the period setting for the movie ? 

83C79135-88C9-4C01-BAE7-EDF62B9804F1.jpeg

0C4CD7DE-B22B-4516-80FD-114787001494.jpeg

• Like 11

6 hours ago, Machine Gun said:

The second photo brought back memories of when I stayed at the Deauville in 1965 with my parents. I'm surprised it's still there.

The Hotel was running until Summer of 2017 when they suffered some AC electrical fire and it was evacuated. Still closed until today for renovations but the curb appeal was refurbished for the movie

I always wondered why the East side still use corrosive salt. Over here we have formulated de-icer that they spray all over the place. Granted it doesn't snow as hard over here but it seems to do a pretty decent job in the worst conditions and it keeps the pass clear for the most part. 

The story I've been given is that its' cheap and effective. The gov't doesn't care about the damage that is inflicted on machinery of all kinds. Further west, they use a mixture of salt and sand as it gets too cold for sodium chloride to work well. The more modern cars certainly stand up to the poor weather much better, and I get my daily drivers oil sprayed every fall as well.

Keith

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Finally, after many weeks, I was able to drive the Reatta to the new place on Wed. I drove it about 80 miles or so, and it ran well the whole way. The car came with all of the factory owners material, which is nice to have.

Got the license registration changed over today and new plates. Of course I cannot really drive it for a couple of months, so in the meantime I'll do some basic maint on the car. The radio speakers are a bit flaky, as is the radio itself. It has a cassette player, not a CD, but I don't know if the tape deck works or not. 

The bad news happened when I went in the house to discover a water had opened up and was spurting like a fountain up into the attic area above the kitchen living room. The water supply is very good at the this place, and it was pumping away to beat the band for many hours. I quickly turned off the water pump. The water had of course gone through the floor and taken down a lot of ceiling tiles. The basement is fully finished. The only good news, is that all of our stuff had not been moved in yet, so not too much of our stuff was damaged.

I called the insurance company and they sent a crew to assist with the cleanup. Then yesterday they started ripping up the flooring. The source was also identified. It seems a previous renovator had left a live water line sticking up into an unheated part of the attic, and the extreme cold weather had eventually broke the cap off of the pipe.

Keith

ReattaGarage1.jpg

ReattaHouse2.jpg

Reatta Book2Sml.jpg

• Like 6

I am toying with the idea of driving it to the Denver meet. Its' not the best timing for us, as my son will be having exams that week for his last year of high school, and we don't want him to screw up, but it won't take the two of us to get him to class on time. Also, he usually likes to come to the BCA shows as well, but of course I'd have to take one of the bigger cars.

I am not so fussy about driving such long distances solo any more, but I've started thinking that perhaps I could drive the Reatta down for the show.

The other real issue, is that our final move to the new place is the end of the first week of July, so I don't know if I should take the week or so to go to Denver.

Keith

17 minutes ago, Paul White said:

I've notice there is another Buick event in Oklahoma City the week before the Nationals....wonder if my wife will notice me being away another week???

Start spending more and more time in the garage until you're out there 24/7.  Pretty soon she'll be so used to not seeing you, she won't notice that you've slipped away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/20/2018 at 5:49 PM, Buicknutty said:

I am toying with the idea of driving it to the Denver meet. Its' not the best timing for us, as my son will be having exams that week for his last year of high school, and we don't want him to screw up, but it won't take the two of us to get him to class on time. Also, he usually likes to come to the BCA shows as well, but of course I'd have to take one of the bigger cars.

I am not so fussy about driving such long distances solo any more, but I've started thinking that perhaps I could drive the Reatta down for the show.

The other real issue, is that our final move to the new place is the end of the first week of July, so I don't know if I should take the week or so to go to Denver.

Keith

Go for it! In the '41.

Ben

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RivNut said:

Start spending more and more time in the garage until you're out there 24/7.  Pretty soon she'll be so used to not seeing you, she won't notice that you've slipped away.

Sounds like a plan but she has more tools than I have as well as a Toyota GT86 that takes up what could be more Buick space...no man cave at my place!!!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

Ben, though it would be neat to take the '41 to a National, but I'm not so sure about driving it so far. Perhaps another year.

Keith

Chicken!:D.  Just kidding.  But really, just pretend it is just a day drive. Several days in a row.

Only 1500 miles and pretty flat. 

Ben

Edited by Ben Bruce aka First Born (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Today I was out at the house checking on the progress of the repairs from the flood, and all is going well, so I decided to take the Reatta to town to get lunch, as it has rained been a quite a bit, so all of the road salt has been washed away. It had been a gloomy though dry day, till just after I pulled it out of the garage, then it started raining. Then while lunching, it turned to snow! But then back to rain, fortunately.

Only about 10 miles, but it was nice to drive it again.

Keith

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

I started the 56 but left it in the garage for the 20 minute run. This has been the saltiest winter in the last 7 years that I can remember! Ugh!

Not to start a side discussion, but you're not doing the car any favors by just starting it. All you're doing is filling it with water, which is a by-product of combustion. Merely sitting in the garage idling, even for 20 minutes, isn't enough to get the oil, transmission fluid, and exhaust system hot enough to vaporize the moisture and every time you start it, you're just adding more. If you can't drive it for 20-30 minutes, it really is better in the long term to just let it sit until you can. I have 85 cars in my care, and that's our policy--if you're not driving it, don't start it unless you absolutely have to. Keep the battery topped up and you'll be ready to go in the spring, I promise!

• Like 6

Don't fill them with water has been my sermon for years. And a year-round policy to strive for is a minimum of 15 miles per week. I have had my cars out on dry winter days a lot of times. I won't drive them in really sloppy stuff, but I am under them enough so a little of that dreaded "salt dust" is not going to stay on the cars long.

The Buicks have been sitting quietly since around the first of December. I did get the Chevy out yesterday and drove it to lunch. I drove the long way around to be sure everything warmed up. In fact it is still out today.

It is pretty much the same as a Roadmaster. I know a lot of old geezers would say "That's not an old car, modern young whipper snapper stuff." but it does have collector car insurance on it and next year it can be on the show field at Hershey. I bet that puckers them up in their chair.

002.thumb.JPG.9c92b48c7f967baafc4fde4ff8985e4d.JPG

I will get in back inside today. Once it warms up in the garage I will walk around spritzing detailer spray on any spots.

Bernie

• Like 1

Exercised both Goldie & the GP 20+ miles each yesterday.  It wasn't as warm as today, but roads were clear and dry (albeit whiteish).  I'm trying to remember when I had them out last and all I can figure is sometime early December...?  Whenever it was, it was too long ago!  :unsure:

• Like 2

Fiorello, Our LaGuardia 1937 Model 80C drove across town to get his correct carburetor installed, and for some general maintenance. He always gets attention as he makes his dignified way through traffic.

1937 Buick on 2010 Founders tour 004.jpg

1937 Buick 2018-12-18 Rear.jpg

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Had George out a couple times last couple days.  A blast.  Really need a road trip!5a6d356d5641b_BCANationals2012023.thumb.jpg.95490254d1ee0590b9286c916d3faa66.jpg

Ben

Like the visor and the Mexican Zarape style seatcover

• Like 1

It was 71 down here today and a friend came over from Austin in my old Riviera. we both have long weekends this weekend.  After we looked at his car for a while and had lunch, we went for a long ride in my Electra.  

At one point on a back country road we stopped to measure the car.  They have these measuring sticks all over the roads around here.

IMG_1359.jpg

Edited by Bill Stoneberg (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

It was 71 down here today and a friend came over from Austin in my old Riviera. we both have long weekends this weekend.  After we looked at his car for a while and had lunch, we went for a long ride in my Electra.  

At one point on a back country road we stopped to measure the car.  They have these measuring sticks all over the roads around here.

IMG_1359.jpg

i don't think i'll ever get tired of looking at 1st gen Electras!