JohnD1956

Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

1,513 posts in this topic

Derek, I'm sure you know about cold out there in the West!

Keith

1 person likes this

I did spend a winter in Toronto.  I never needed to don what I (prairie boy) considered a winter jacket.  Then again, I've got more built in insulation now....

Not the weekend yet but I got the Buick out for a thaw. 

20170208_160118.jpg

6 people like this

Works pretty good for not getting it recored or flushed. Sometimes I have to roll down the window while it's on full blast just to survive the commute from the college in 36 degrees lol. 

2 people like this

The '56 heater is pretty efficient. 

2 people like this

Ok, for all of you tough guys.  Let's go for a ride.  It is 15deg F outside and snowing.  And the truck started and ran after sitting outside overnight.

20170209_080125.jpg

14 people like this

Just wait while I get an old Racoon skin coat and fur hat too!

Keith

1 person likes this

I wanted to emulate my friend Larry (he is our hero) but we went from snow and 20 degrees on Wednesday to 63 and sunny on Thursday. So I took both cars out and gave them some exercise. Today, 45 and raining.

DSCF5844.thumb.JPG.f252906e56334a8092422252290344de.JPGDSCF5846.thumb.JPG.7f881cbede5a8066d35836971814a857.JPG

DSCF5847.thumb.JPG.deef8a6fde1005847e20f8199c4acf7c.JPG

6 people like this

Larry,

Good for you.  No chance in CT, we have about 18" on the ground and still coming down.

John

BCA meeting on Saturday at a Mexican food restaurant - temperature was in mid 80's.  Had a new prospect member there in the '54 Skylark that his father restored 30 odd years ago.  Meeting was about 25 miles away, so the Buick got some exercise as did the A/C on the way home. 

2 people like this

Seventy degree day Friday, Feb. 17, 2017 in Northern Colorado.  Warmed up the old Roadmaster with the top down and had lunch at A & W.  We just might survive until Spring.

Dan

4 people like this

I put 130 miles on my 1937 Century on our local AACA Chapter "BBQ Tour". Enjoyed a great BBQ lunch and stopped at a Mennonite store and bought some really good baked goods that I really did not need. 

DSC_0586.JPG

DSC_0589.JPG

2 people like this

You weren't really shopping if you only got baked goods and no sausage ;)

1 person likes this

On February 13, 2017 at 5:52 PM, jvelde said:

BCA meeting on Saturday at a Mexican food restaurant - temperature was in mid 80's.  Had a new prospect member there in the '54 Skylark that his father restored 30 odd years ago.  Meeting was about 25 miles away, so the Buick got some exercise as did the A/C on the way home. 

1 hour ago, Caballero2 said:

Seventy degree day Friday, Feb. 17, 2017 in Northern Colorado.  Warmed up the old Roadmaster with the top down and had lunch at A & W.  We just might survive until Spring.

Dan

Pictures or it dint happen......

1 hour ago, MCHinson said:

I put 130 miles on my 1937 Century on our local AACA Chapter "BBQ Tour". Enjoyed a great BBQ lunch and stopped at a Mennonite store and bought some really good baked goods that I really did not need. 

DSC_0586.JPG

DSC_0589.JPG

I don see no Buick...

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

I don see no Buick...

I really did not take many photos of the car. It was more about fun with local car club friends. I did take the Interstate for part of the trip home. I could not resist taking a quick photo of the speedometer on the interstate. (And my smart phone app tells me that the speedometer is about 4 mph slow at 80 mph... actual speed 84. I was tempted to see if the Century will actually do the advertised 100 mph, but I did not want to have to explain it to a Trooper if I happened to find one.)

Here is one photo that shows the Century parked at Sid's BBQ. Can you find the three Buicks in this photo?

DSC_0581.JPG

IMG_20170218_133959100.jpg

5 people like this

It was 50 here today in the Motor City.  Joyce and I took the truck out for a ride with the new U-joint.  Worked well.  Looking forward to touring season.  :)

Feb_19-2017__'15_truck.jpg

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

I just got back from a ride down Main St. and a loop around a country block with my '60. It was 63 degrees yesterday and mid 50's today. No way I was missing this. And I had two cars blocking the doorway of the garage not running. It took about 20 minutes to pop a new condenser in the '60 and get it going. That old one had been in there since a tune up in 2003 when I bought the car. I had made an attempt at due diligence by putting points and condenser in after the first 9 years. One week later it came home on a flatbed to find the new condenser had its lead wire fall out. I put the known good one back in.

Late this fall I started having idle problems. And then crapped out completely. After checking all the "usual suspects" (I like that movie, lots) I picked up an Echlin condenser a little before Christmas. Echlin is all I buy for over the counter ignition parts anymore, unless I see some old stock NOS Delco online.

Anyway that did it and the ride was good.

How long does it take to change a condenser? About 60 days and 20 minutes around here.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Had an AACA Meeting today in Euless - about 22 miles from home.  There are storms in the area so not many drove their old cars today.  We got sprinkled on driving home, but nothing heavy has arrived yet.  I took photos of some of the cars that were there.

Trying to keep MrEarl happy!  Mine was the only Buick. 

Hate it when the photos won't load the way you want....Sorry!IMG_0041.JPG.506aadfd1675d6ae7e232abb6298b508.JPGIMG_0042.thumb.JPG.aa26a71c53d27f7385b8ed251389818f.JPGIMG_0044.thumb.JPG.34db30b6556215a8bd5a8e5120529db3.JPGIMG_0045.thumb.JPG.413153d7556c5be7f98568e5342a627b.JPGIMG_0048.thumb.JPG.7ef5052b07d00a9cef51ad0d1ea77529.JPGIMG_0049.thumb.JPG.9b9f99e733a971f6237cc849d6c4a1e3.JPG

Edited by jvelde (see edit history)
3 people like this

No driving but I ran the Queen and the 56 for a half hour or so today.   Way too much salt here for a joy ride.  But maybe later this week.  I am so envious of you guys who can get the Buicks out for a ride this time of the year!  

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Baby got new tires today:) Made the switch, went from bias ply to radials. What a difference! The new CPP box, the new tires and a string alignment made it like a new car... 

Coker 225/75R/15 $209 a piece form Jeggs. Manufacture date 49week16. 

20170221_122744_resized.jpg

20170221_122739_resized.jpg

Edited by VickyBlue (see edit history)
8 people like this

All my earlier bragging about the year round driving season we enjoy in Australia has come back to bite me on the arse. Tore my Achilles Tendon pushing my son's flat battery '89 Toyota out of the way when I was planning to get my '36 out of the garage for a weekend away, now I cannot drive for at least 8 weeks,......damn!