Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

Hi all

I have just returned from a weekend away in the country 80 miles west of Sydney where we held our the Buick Club of New South Wales President's run. Weather on the run up was humid with a few showers. we stopped in at a now closed cement works in a place called Portland, the storage silos having been painted with some of the people that worked in the plant. We had a display of the 23 Buicks that attended and were joined by a local car group with a range of different cars including Australian designed Fords and Holden built 1930's Chevrolets. Whilst touring the site we came across a kangaroo that had found its way in but had a little problem escaping

20210313_093147.jpg

20210313_093152.jpg

20210313_093225.jpg

20210313_093712.jpg

20210313_093838.jpg

20210313_093902.jpg

20210313_094047.jpg

20210313_102855.jpg

• Like 10

Hi all

The next day was a 50 mile run through undulating farm land and small country towns in 80 degree sunny weather stopping at an old pub in a town called Tarana. The next stop was for a drink at a pub in an even smaller town called Rydal where I took a photo of my wife in front of a friend's '28 Buick. Later on we displayed the cars on the lawns of the Black Gold motel (named after the regions coal mines). After a fun-filled dinner on Saturday night, the skies opened up with a 63 degree rainy day and a long drive back home in fog through the Blue Mountains on Sunday which was a little wet for the '20s cars. I hope you enjoy the photos. Cheers Paul

20210313_143749.jpg

20210313_093216.jpg

20210313_093940.jpg

20210313_160002.jpg

20210313_160101.jpg

20210314_100812.jpg

Edited by Paul White (see edit history)
  • Like 11

9 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Thank you, Paul.    I always enjoy your posts of your tours.  Maybe even envy?

Ben

Thanks Ben, hope you and yours are well. This run had been planned for last year but Covid saw it cancelled along with a bunch of other events.  We haven't had a Covid case in our state for almost 2 months and things are slowly coming back to normal so I hope to be able to post photos of new runs here over the next few months. I can't believe it has been almost 3 years since we met at the Denver Nationals! Cheers Paul   

• Thanks 1

No pictures they are stuck on my phone because of our bad internet here, but I had the Reatta out for about a 25 mile drive today. One of the nicest days yet, sunny and about 55F.

The day before I had the '41 Roadmaster out for a shorter drive. So it's being a great Buick weekend so far!

• Like 4

Not a very nice day around here, drizzly and cold, but we are clearing out my father in laws place and I needed to haul a lot of stuff to the recycling center.  Perfect job for the Estate Wagon as it doesn’t mind getting wet and definitely has the space.  No trailer? No problem!

A5CEE773-99FF-4199-848B-BEB278CBBFF0.jpeg

Edited by dmfconsult (see edit history)
  • Like 8

Beautiful day here in the island. First day out for the 41 Special this year. The snow has finally left. We went out for a picnic and a ride around the reservoir with the boys. This was 6 month old Teddy's first ride in an antique. I think he had a great time.

I cannot believe we did not see another antique on the road. 

IMG_4073.jpg

IMG_4075.jpg

• Like 8

A beautiful 58 and sunny day on Long Island and perfect for our first in person chapter meeting of the year in the park. I took the Reatta top down of course. We even had a visit from some Lower Hudson Valley members. Great day with Great people.

Marty

IMG_20210321_141124537.jpg

IMG_20210321_141202523.jpg

• Like 5

Newest member of the BCA and Mason-Dixon chapter drove her 1973 Centurion to our meeting on Sunday.DSCF8602.thumb.JPG.d66ed26ee3990d45c53828d4c3a472c7.JPG

Below     Her car and another member's Skylark GS.

DSCF8600.thumb.JPG.1821819407368a3f9f4e9785b37c5dc3.JPG

Rear view of the cars with our meeting pace in the back-round. C&D Bar and Grill On route 30 near New Oxford PA. (Cross Keys).

DSCF8601.thumb.JPG.66fa4008ff1cfc532f25ead571292736.JPG

• Like 6

On 3/20/2021 at 10:22 PM, Mark Shaw said:

Led the Mackinaw Tour today in the 1931 Model 67 (the latest addition to my stable). 

This was it's first day tour, and it ran quite nicely around Lacamas Lake WA.

We had a picnic lunch at Camp Currie with SMORES for dessert!

Mackinaw Tour 31 Buick at Lacamas Lake.jpg

Mackinaw Tour Lunch.jpg

IMG_20210320_121852299.jpg

Had not seen the '31 Mark. Nice long roof. 😉Seriously, very Impressive!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I finally got the Skylark out of the garage and on the road over the weekend. First a trip to the car wash, and then a two hour round trip to visit my son and his  fiancé in Ulster County. No pics, sorry. There's nothing terribly exciting about photos at a car wash or in my son's driveway. You'll just have to take my word for it that I took the car out.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I imagine its worse by your area Ted. It has been very dry and it looks like most of the salt has been pummeled and ground into dust in this area. Should I have waited?  Perhaps so. But the older I get the more I am willing to risk it. Who knows when the day will be that one cannot drive anymore? I want to get all my alotted miles in and wash the car off later. 

• Like 3

It is much the same around here John. Our paved concession roads are always very lightly salted due the nearby summer crops, but other roads have a lot of salt dust still on them. It has been calling for rain the last couple of days, but so far nothing. A decent amount of rain will clear them off.

I also agree with you about driving our cars. There will come a day when we will no longer be able to, so though I care for all of my Buick Babies, I do like to drive them and I don't want to be sitting unable to do much but wishing I done more when I could of.

Bit a downer, I know, but at this point we have seen it happen to so many others before us.

Keith

• Like 1

Another great day for a ride. This was ride #2 for Teddy. He relaxed the whole ride with Bubba in the backseat. They also enjoyed the lunch we had on the common in Woodstock, CT.  We were disappointed that the ice cream shoppe was not open yet! Today we saw one antique car and three hot rods. 

image0.jpeg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Took the '91 Reatta out of storage for the Spring/Summer/Fall seasons.  Ran it on the highway for 25 miles...didn't want to stop driving because it ran so well.  Next week its in for its annual MA state safety inspection with oil change/lube and biennial radiator flush:

Reatta 2021.jpg

Reatta 2021-1.jpg

• Like 6

Did a nice breakfast mid week with a few car guys at Inman Valley General Store which is about 18-20km from home on a winding undulating goat track they call the Inman Valley Road. Good roll up with a Mustang, Porsche, Mazda MX5, hot rod and the Skylark with some daily drivers too!

Great morning with lots of BS and banter as well as great drive out and back!

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

EFF0EDAA-A4BB-4F9D-9997-E71820003736.jpeg

04727E77-8243-45C2-80FA-478AEA8E7029.jpeg

BD3A573E-121D-4CEF-8C59-8497AC664955.jpeg

• Like 7

took the 73 Regal today and drove down in Ohio Amish country beautiful weather 80 degrees stopped at some antique malls found some Buick ads to add to my collection and a 1972 Buick brochure getting car show withdraws, looking forward to Auburn spring show  

• Like 2

On 4/7/2021 at 7:57 PM, rodneybeauchamp said:

Did a nice breakfast mid week with a few car guys at Inman Valley General Store which is about 18-20km from home on a winding undulating goat track they call the Inman Valley Road. Good roll up with a Mustang, Porsche, Mazda MX5, hot rod and the Skylark with some daily drivers too!

Great morning with lots of BS and banter as well as great drive out and back!

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

EFF0EDAA-A4BB-4F9D-9997-E71820003736.jpeg

04727E77-8243-45C2-80FA-478AEA8E7029.jpeg

BD3A573E-121D-4CEF-8C59-8497AC664955.jpeg

Hi Rodney, great article in the New South Wales Buick Club magazine. I love it when people delve into one specific issue in great detail. Cheers Paul 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The other day I had the Electra out for a drive and then a trip to the reservation for cheaper gas. Premium is less costly than regular is in town, and it gives the car a good run. Between one thing and another about 70 miles on it. It was running a bit rough at the start, but much nicer after it got some fresh gas in it. I always put stabilizer in everything, but the gas still goes a bit stale.

Then the next day a few errands in the Reatta, no pics, sorry folks! Not as much driving on that, about 20 miles or so.

ElectraApr1.jpg

ElectraAprStrtMile.jpg

ElectraAprEndMile.jpg

• Like 7

I took two of my son's kids for a ride in the 31 Buick yesterday...  We just went around the block and across the neighborhood to see my son-in-law and one of his daughters too.  Unfortunately, they are not allowed to go far without seat belts, so I guess I will have to install some. 

31 Buick, Ben & Esme.jpg

• Like 9

Went for a ride in the 56 this afternoon and saw the local fire company was having a Chicken BBQ dinner sale. So pulled in line and crept through the half hour wait to get the dinners. This is the same place where I had the wagon in the fall and they had their restored 37 Chevy fire truck on display.  Anyway, it was a similar set up. Snake through the driveway, enter the truck bay from the back, get your purchase, and exit the front doors to the road. As I got into the building the ladies at the table actually started a round of applause for the Buick.  Not knowing better I tooted the horn and startled the Prius driver ahead of me. Lol...thanks @NC-car-guy for that high note horn. Its freaking great...lol. after we ate I went back out for my ride but went on the same ole roads so I didn't get any pictures.  But the Buick is running fabulous. 

• Like 11