Use a Chassis Paint or just use regular black paint??

I am in the process of cleaning up the underside of my 72 convertible I have been looking into different paints and finishes and when it comes to spraying my floors and rails I am not sure if I should go with a "chassis paint" like from eastwood or POR15 or should I go with a regular satin/ semi gloss black spray paint? The car is one we drive and show I want the bottom side to be clean and have the correct colors. Is it worth buying a $15-$20 can of chassis paint or should I just buy a $7-$9 can of regular metal spray paint?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Going around the block on this. Chassis that I have sandblasted and painted in the past I have use a Naptha based primer and paint from Tractor Supply. The stuff is tough and durable and stands up well on farm machinery. However, in the sunlight it will fade as the years go by. Underneath a car this will not be a problem. POR 15 from what I understand is a very good product. However, you need to have a water hose handy while doing the prepping steps. For most of us this means doing it outside in good weather. I'll have more experience with this in a month or two as we are getting ready to do the bottom of a 1980 Fiat Spider with it. As far as keeping it clean. Don't drive it, and be sure all the oil leaks are fixed.

POR-15 chips like any other paint unless it is applied directly to the base metal. The factory rep for Rustoleum told me that acetone is the preferred reducer for spraying and cleaning the gun. I am with you Denny.

I also use the rustoleum satin black (7777) in a spray can over their red oxide primer. The black is in a can with a brown park bench on the label.

Took around two cans to do the frame of my Triumph TR4.

From the past, I know you can do invisible touch-ups by spraying a bit in the plastic lid and use a very small brush to apply it.

Visit my new and improved personal website at: www.jakegingervila.wix.com/bobs-vintage-cars-

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi