DAVES89

Just got back

Well the ones I saw weren't worth anything. They both had the Teves Master Cylinders but the one I wanted the pump/motor off of was the '88 only style. It did have a replacement ball on it, but he wouldn't let it go. He had this idea that because the car was so rare that someone would call him for the whole unit. I was going to explain to him that he had a customer right in front of him and that because there are so few Reattas left [especially for the early '88 Teves unit which is what he had] that he should sell what he could. I even asked if I could buy the '88 hood ornament but he said whomever bought the hood would need the emblem, so that was it.

Regarding the drive down, I "hit the wall" so to speak and made it to a Mississippi rest area at about 7:30 where I thought I could sleep for an hour or so drive on and/or get a motel room. 2 1/2 hours later I wake up and say "what for" and made myself more comfortable and slept another 6 hours. That is not easy to do as while a vert has more headroom then a coupe it is definetly lacking in how one can position the seats to be more comfortable.

At any rate back on the road and heading to New Orleans with two accidental detours, one to Hattiesburg and the other to Kiln, Mississippi. Saw the "Broke Spoke" what a dive. I wouldn't let my dog go in there. Fortunately it hadn't opened for the day or I might have gone in to see what the inside was like.

This is now a couple of days later. I picked my wife up at the airport and we are enjoying what New Orleans has to offer. So far so good!

Too bad the junkyard guy was so inflexible. Yes these cars are rare. That is precisely why he will see so little demand for these parts, especially from an 88, and why he should've sold the stuff to you. Now he'll probably sit on that stuff forever (until the yard decides it's taking up room that would be better utilitzed by a car with some parts in actual demand) and it'll  get crushed and sent to China to make some pieces of junk to be sold at Wal-Mart.

Gotta love how they think they're sitting on a golden egg laying goose, and just turned away the best shot they will see at making some money off the car for a good while to come, in all likelihood.

Not familiar with the broke spoke. Guess I need to look that up.

Kevin I'm not surprised that you don't know of the Broke Spke. It is the local watering hole in Kiln made famous by Brett Farve [formerly of the Green Bay Packers and a couple of other teams] also of Kiln who now resides in Hattiesburg. They were accidental "finds" along the way, so were must see detours.

The guy was friendly, but the car was really beat up. he should have sold what he could, but you are right in 2-3 years it will end up getting crushed with nothing to show for it. The drivers window was open and all the "good stuff" was still there [CRT,IPC, and both pod switches]. It looked too ratty inside the car to take a chance as I had no way of testing anything as I had the 'vert.

Tuesday I leave for home on a return 16 hour drive. My wife doesn't get back until 10:00 PM the same day. It is possible if I leave early enough I can pick her up at the airport. 

That would be something... 

1 hour ago, DAVES89 said:

I picked my wife up at the airport and we are enjoying what New Orleans has to offer. So far so good!

1 hour ago, DAVES89 said:

At any rate back on the road and heading to New Orleans with two accidental detours, one to Hattiesburg

Happy to hear the trip is going well and you are enjoying New Orleans. With that thick northern accent you might not want to hang out in Hattiesburg too much. :lol:

Just got home. Left New Orleans at 4:00am and got home at 9:40 pm. 1140 miles in 17.5 hours. Drove back by way of St Louis so I could have lunch with kdirk and swap parts and stories.

Never will try that many miles in one day non stop again. [3 gas fills and 1/2 hour with Kevin].

I drove the 'vert 1100 miles in one day and over 2500 miles in 4. Not bad for a 28 year old car. Took along a number of repair parts but never needed a one. These are great cars and glad I drive them. However a coupe has much more room then the 'vert when trying to take a nap in a rest area.

That's quite a trip Dave. Makes my little day trips that I post about seem like a trip to the grocery store. :lol:   Did you take any photos of your Reatta on that trip for us?

My wife took one at the New Orleans Central Park. There are "Live Oaks" as a background. We were told that the Live Oaks were called that because they grew so fast. Anyone know diferent?

• Like 1