Young people and old cars

john2dameron

I've been enjoying reading the thread about the popularity of newer antique cars and got to thinking about all the people lamenting the lack of interest in old cars by the younger generation. I wonder what percentage of the over 40 crowd actually have a strong interest in some aspect of the old car hobby. I would guess it is less than 1%. If that is so, or close to being so, why do we expect all young people to like old cars.

I have many young friends that enjoy old cars and most of them itch to own one. Of course, what they call old cars varies greatly. One 17 year old friend has a yearning for a Ford AA truck which is 60 some years older than he is. Another friend nearing 30 just restored the 1970 Mustang Mach 1 that his dad bought new. A neighbor graduated from high school in June and has three '48 Chevrolets plus two '62 Chevrolet wagons. The wagons are rough but he enjoys showing one of them and he commuted to high school in the other one. The '48's are awaiting restoration. Another young friend, 17 I think, likes rods but he would love to have a '49-50 fastback Buick or Oldsmobile. Koby, the young man that wants a Ford AA is an AACA member, collects license plates, and will graduate from high school this coming June. He asked me to meet him at Hershey last year to tour the show field but I was recovering from knee surgery and could not do it. However, we did connect at Hershey this year and spent about 3 hours together viewing the cars. He was thrilled to learn that I also like old trucks very much. Another 17 year old came looking for me at the truck show at Colfax, NC November 2nd and we had a nice visit there. I also have young friends who like the imports. I don't care a lot for them but I am happy that they like some kind of car. I have gained many teenage friends who have discovered my photos from car shows that I show on Facebook.

My point is, I bet that many of you also know kids who have an interest in old cars; now it is up to you to nurture that interest. There's strength in numbers.

• Like 1

Young and early middle age adults do not seem to have the interest in old cars that many of us grew up with. I think they see cars as disposable transportation items. My son likes old cars and takes many photos of them but his interest is in foreign makes, a category that has not been very strong in US the old car hobby. The foreign car resto and show may be the fast growth area of the AACA in the future.

I am seeing a lot more VWs at car shows than ever before. Maybe they are today's version of the Model A?

Terry

I can't comment on whether kids are turned on to newer antique cars. But I have brass era cars, and I guarantee kids are turned on to them.

A couple of weeks ago our town put on a bluegrass party in a beautiful field. The occasion was the retirement of the loan the town had taken, several years before, to buy the field as permanent open land. There was a huge turnout, short speeches, good music, pony rides for kids. I drove over in my 1912 Buick, and was invited to park in the VIP area - because of the car, not because I have any clout in town. When I saw the pony rides, I drove over to where kids were waiting, and asked if anyone wanted a ride. There was initial reluctance - kids have, with good reason, been taught not to ride with strangers - but I talked to a couple of the waiting parents, and they let their kids ride. For the next two hours there was a serious line of kids, and a few parents, getting rides in my Buick. I drove in a big loop over the slightly bumpy grass field, doing a couple of S-turns so the kids got a thrill. They thought we were flying, although I doubt I ever got over 15 miles an hour. The pony rides were almost forgotten.

On Fathers Day, the town of Summit set aside three parking lots for a car show put on by Cars and Croissants, a group of mostly high-end modern cars, heavy emphasis on Italian, but anything interesting is welcome. I chugged over in a single-cylinder Cadillac. It drew some attention, especially whenever I cranked it up. One man asked if I'd mind if he took a picture of his little boy standing in front of the car. I said: "I absolutely would mind! I insist that you take his picture sitting behind the wheel!" The guy's jaw dropped. I helped the kid get up to the seat, let him blow the bulb horn and get his picture taken. When he got down, another child was looking longingly at the car, so I helped him get up into it, too. Pretty soon there was a line. Everyone was polite and appreciative. I didn't see any kids invited to sit in the matching Turbo-Bentley convertibles parked side by side, or the Ferrari Enzo, or - - - . I wonder which cars those kids remembered the next day, and told their mothers and teachers and friends about.

These kids are our future. Nurture them!

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

Gil, you are doing a great service for the old car hobby. Heck, I would be in line for a ride or picture too! My thinking is that when kids get old enough to make their own money and choose how to spend it, they might be looking to invest it in a non US car brand for fix-up and driving. Most of them ride in non-US branded cars as their family car and there is a good chance that exposure will carry over to what they might want in an old car to fix up and enjoy.

I would be happy to see the car hobby grow with young blood no matter what age or brand of car they like.

Terry

All you guys have wonderfull comments and the correct attitudes but I'm afraid you will lose your battle. The younger generation

has absolutely no interest in old cars (and new cars for that matter). All they car about is to get from Pt.A to Pt.B. You can put

baseball cards, roller skateing, and electric trains all in the same category. These are things we grew up with. I just came back

from a electric train convention and I was one of the youngest there (64). If you see a young person there they where "forced"

to go. This is just my opinion. Larry

Edited by llskis (see edit history)

The younger generation

has absolutely no interest in old cars (and new cars for that matter). You can put

baseball cards, roller skateing, and electric trains all in the same category. These are things we grew up with. his is just my opinion. Larry

Larry,

I can't see how you justify such a negative outlook.

My 25 year old son currently drives a 2005 Chevrolet Impala but is already talking about buying his first antique car after he finishes graduate school this year and starts his work career. He already has a job lined up and is already planning how to get more involved with the hobby as his career allows him more disposable income than his life as a college student does. He is already an AACA Judge and enjoys it.

My 15 year old daughter will be getting her license soon. I bought her a 2004 Impala similar to her brother's car. She got the youngest driver award at our last AACA local chapter show driving my HPOF 1984 Buick Riviera just a few weeks after she got her learner's permit. She too is planning on becoming an AACA Judge soon and really wants a 1967 Chevrolet Impala. I am sure we will eventually find her dream car and buy it.

I am not quite 53 years old. As far as baseball cards, roller skating and electric trains, I have little interest in those... maybe a little in electric trains. People have been complaining about the younger generation for over 2000 years and will continue to do so. Our local AACA Chapter has found a lot of younger people who are interested in old cars in our area. Not everybody in the younger generation is interested in our hobby, but not everybody in the older generation is either.

Edited by MCHinson
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

............My 25 year old son currently drives a 2005 Chevrolet Impala but is already talking about buying his first antique car after he finishes graduate school this year and starts his work career. He already has a job lined up and is already planning how to get more involved with the hobby as his career allows him more disposable income than his life as a college student does. He is already an AACA Judge and enjoys it.

My 15 year old daughter will be getting her license soon. I bought her a 2004 Impala similar to her brother's car. She got the youngest driver award at our last AACA local chapter show driving my HPOF 1984 Buick Riviera just a few weeks after she got her learner's permit. She too is planning on becoming an AACA Judge soon and really wants a 1969 Chevrolet Impala. I am sure we will eventually find her dream car and buy it.........

I think all of us can see that Matt is a steward of our hobby, one that promotes the hobby by sharing the love with his family and every other young person that he comes in contact with. We should all follow his example.;)

Larry,

I can't see how you justify such a negative outlook.

My 25 year old son currently drives a 2005 Chevrolet Impala but is already talking about buying his first antique car after he finishes graduate school this year and starts his work career. He already has a job lined up and is already planning how to get more involved with the hobby as his career allows him more disposable income than his life as a college student does. He is already an AACA Judge and enjoys it.

My 15 year old daughter will be getting her license soon. I bought her a 2004 Impala similar to her brother's car. She got the youngest driver award at our last AACA local chapter show driving my HPOF 1984 Buick Riviera just a few weeks after she got her learner's permit. She too is planning on becoming an AACA Judge soon and really wants a 1969 Chevrolet Impala. I am sure we will eventually find her dream car and buy it.

I am not quite 53 years old. As far as baseball cards, roller skating and electric trains, I have little interest in those... maybe a little in electric trains. People have been complaining about the younger generation for over 2000 years and will continue to do so. Our local AACA Chapter has found a lot of younger people who are interested in old cars in our area. Not everybody in the younger generation is interested in our hobby, but not everybody in the older generation is either.

Matt and R W: Always so glad to hear from you guys. You guys are a great plus++ for AACA. I hope I'm wrong but from what I see there is simply different

interest for the younger generation. For every one young person that likes old cars there is many many more that are not. All we can do is hope--Larry

A lot of this is about your frame of reference. You tend to see what you expect to see. Look for the positive and you will probably find it. If you look for the negative, you will probably find that too.

I will defer to someone who has a lot of great quotes, some that he actually said, and some that he probably never actually uttered...

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Don't find fault, find a remedy. Henry Ford

Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young. Henry Ford

If everyone is moving forward together, then success takes care of itself. Henry Ford

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)
  • Like 1

A lot of this is about your frame of reference. You tend to see what you expect to see. Look for the positive and you will probably find it. If you look for the negative, you will probably find that too.

Point well taken. As long as we are giving quotes he is one from someone who perhaps is a little smarter then H.Ford.

post-94010-143142277122_thumb.png

Tidewater Region elected one of our youngest members to our board of directors this past Thursday evening, Tyler Gimbert. Tyler received one of the AACA Scholarship awards at Philadelphia last Feb and enjoys his 1924 Model T Ford.

Guest Classic50s

McPherson is a great college for auto restoration. I attended there in 08, but didn't want it to be a career only a hobby. I am 25 and locally I am by far the youngest person in my local car club. I think a big reason many older folks don't think young guys are that much into classics is because of several misconceptions. First most people who have vintage cars aren't in a club of any kind (young guys in particular). Second is cost (most young guys are trying to pay for a house, family, etc and owning a vintage car is considered a luxury and therefore expensive and not necessary. Those in my opinion are the 2 main reasons for that. I am a fanatic about classics (bought my first car at 16 a 57 Chevy Bel Air), went through Packards, Pontiacs, Chevys, and Buicks. My 59 Buick project is a desire to finally restore a car. Its something to be proud of and to invest so much time, money, and patience the reward is not just to learn and improve skills but to see the product your hard work. Alot of young guys don't like commitment and to restore or buy a classic/antique car requires a great deal of it. lol

Cheers from the Heatland

This thread is interesting and very much in line with what I did this weekend to promote our hobby to the younger generation. We have a friend who just turned 30 with three small daughters, has been very sick for the past three years and been through a lot since their marriage four years ago, most recently the death of his mother in law two weeks ago. He loves the old cars, is a crack professional mechanic with his own licensed shop as a side business he is just starting. His day job since age 24 is manager of the fleet repair shop where he works.

We have talked off and on about my cars, he as helped me with the Avanti and I love his lift and shop! Saturday he came over and we loaded the '38 Roadmaster and took it to his house. It has not been run since 1998 so it needs a little work to run and some TLC. He loves the car best of all of ours so we made a deal. He will keep the car at his house, return it to running condition and use it with his family as his own. I will own it, insure it, pay for all parts and have use of it when I want.

I am excited about this idea from a few perspectives. A big one is my hope that I am promoting a young person's long term interest in the hobby. By letting him use the car with his family I also hope his girls get excited. This is also a way for a young person to enter the hobby in an affordable manner at a time in life he could not do it otherwise and maybe get two generations hooked. For me it gets a car I have neglected for way too long back on the road, I get to use it again, the value goes up with it running and I may have created a buyer for it down the road. (He has already asked if that was in the cards in the far future). We will probably invite them along on some local club events furthering his and his families' interest.

We will have to see how this works out but he is a good friend, trustworthy person and I am comfortable in this adventure with him. It is a car I was not using since our interests have turned more to brass cars in recent years and he will love it like it deserves. I will probably fall in love with it again when I drive it next year too! Just getting it out in the daylight made me realize I still like the looks of it and I am not ready to get rid of it. It is still an impressive, rarely seen car with the dual sidemounts and is now even a CCCA recognized car.

All in all I see it as a win-win for both of us!

post-31066-143142277596_thumb.jpg

post-31066-143142277531_thumb.jpg

post-31066-143142277566_thumb.jpg

I have to side with Larry on this issue. I'm 64 and remember when I was near to getting my license and a car. We had to be 17 in NJ. I would spend every extra minute under a hood trying to get a car ready for the magic time. Go to junkyards, try to make two cars into one, not worrying how much tread was left on the tires but what cord it was down to, how to fix a flat, change oil, spark plugs, set points,and so on. I never see young people doing any of that. I rarely see youth engaging in neighborhood sports,little leagues and girls' softball are closing down. I joined the Garden State Region in 1977 at age 28. I was the youngest member and there were about 150 in the club. Now I'm still practically the youngest member and there are only 20 others. A lot of the older guys' fathers were in the club but their sons aren't. They insist that they're interested but they're too busy with their families, like we weren't busy with ours.

Hi Been a member for 40 years . I keep hearing the same thing the young aren't interest in cars .You have to remember that the membership In the AACA to the pop . in this country . There are a lot of young one in the hobby . They are active . My daughter has been with it 35 years even a judge at the age of 17 , was pushed out by older members in the judging . Many years later she is back ,seats on the board in our region. Her daughter , has been a member since jr. membership started. She drove my car at Huntsville Founders tour this year. Has now got her own old car. She spents her Sat. at the library with Chris helping . As someone said go with the% Kings32

Just a few more thoughts/comments on the subject. When I was in High School (Long time ago) you could ask all the boys in the

class a simple question. "Who makes the "327" C/I engine"" I would say 70-75% would know it was made by Chevy. Even the guys

who where not interested in cars still would know the answer. If you ask any modern day High School class (Boys) this: Who makes

the LS V8 engine. I doubt if you could get 5% to answer correctly. THE CURRENT YOUNGER GENERATION SIMPLY GOT DIFFERENT

INTEREST; THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT CURRENT CARS; LET ALONE OLD CARS. If you don't believe this you are in denial. As far as

all your nice example of younger people taking interest in cars it such a so small sample of the total younger people it not worth

reporting it.(In so far as the subject we are on) I don't believe I got a negative attitude; it is a realistic attitude. Sorry; JMHO Larry

P.S. Of course there are always exception to the rule; but in general I believe I am correct until proven that I am not.

I still don't understand why some people want to just complain that young people are not interested in old cars. That is certainly not what I see in my area of the country. Maybe there are regional differences, but I suspect that it just depends on your point of view. I would suggest that you should all do something about it instead of just complaining about the younger generation. I was not able to participate due to a scheduling conflict but here is an example of the type of activity that our local chapter has done for a few years. Since I had recently decided to stop saving bookshelves full of car magazines, I donated a bunch of magazines towards this year's event. Each young person left with a copy or two of Antique Automobile.

This appeared in our chapter newsletter in October:

post-47089-143142277912_thumb.jpg

Wilmington Christian Academy Car Display by Jim McKernan

Fifteen members of the AACA Cape Fear Chapter traveled to Wilmington Christian Academy on Friday, September 20th to display 13 cars for about 60 5th grade students, teachers, administrators, and on-lookers. We arranged our cars in chronological order to show the transition and design changes from 100 years of automotive engineering. Total year span in our display was 57 years, 1912 to 1969. Here’s the list of autos on display:

1912 Rambler – Bob Lancaster

1922 Model T Ford – Bob Lancaster

1929 Model A Ford – Bob Godsey

1937 Buick coupe – Jack Price with David Ashley

1939 Chevy Master 85 – Jim McKernan

1946 Ford Super Deluxe coupe – Bob Plassman

1957 Ford Fairlane 2-dr. hardtop – Charlie Buis

1957 MGA coupe – Jennifer Lancaster

1961 Corvette roadster – John Allred

1963 Chrysler Imperial Le Baron – Bubba & Ruth Ann Grothe

1963 Ford Falcon convertible – John Raia

1966 Mustang convertible – Dick Steinkof

1969 Chrysler 300 convertible – Don Sorenson

At precisely 10:00 a.m., the three 5th grade classes, led by teacher Benjamin Neal, converged on the first car in line, the 1912 Rambler. Each car owner was introduced by Bob Lancaster and subsequently described some of the history and/or features on their particular automobile. That process repeated 13 times in approximately 1 hour total. After the completion of the 13th vehicle, all the owners raised their hoods and trunks for visual inspection by the crowd with more specific questions and requests such as ‘can I sit in the back seat?’ or ‘can I blow the horn?’ or ‘what’s that car worth?’ The most popular item on each car was the horn. The window crank was an unfamiliar handle on the inside door panel not seen on any newer cars. I did demonstrate rolling up and down the windows several times.

This display of automotive evolution from 100 years ago to present day is a most impressive way for these students to appreciate our love of antique and classic cars and to see how different their lives would be if they were living in 1912 or 1950 in terms of transportation in general.

After much appreciative comments from the staff and students, we closed up and loaded everything back in the cars and proceeded back to the garage waiting for another opportunity to bring out the ‘old iron’ again.

post-47089-143142277902_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I still don't understand why some people want to just complain that young people are not interested in old cars.

Matt: With all due respect you are missing the whole point on this subject. 1st we are not "COMPLAINING"; we are just stating the

facts. Nothing more; nothing less. I just can not see where you see the interest from the young people as a whole. Larry

P.S. I want to perserve the "old car thinking" probably more then you; but it is simply not there.

Edited by llskis (see edit history)

Your "facts" are not necessarily correct. In our local chapter and region we are adding new young members. I know quite a few people in their 20's and 30's who are participating in AACA events. I got into the hobby in my 30's and am now in my 50's. We are still adding members in their 20's and 30's. If you don't see this sort of activity, in your chapters or regions, maybe you should ask what the difference is in your area and mine.

The hobby is not exactly what it used to be. Many years ago, you could not discuss old cars on an internet based forum. You used to have to travel to swap meets to buy parts. Now the internet allows many people to participate in the hobby in ways that previously did not exist. Change happens but the hobby survives.

A bunch of people constantly complaining about how the younger generation is not interested in what they are interested in is unlikely to attract a lot of new members, young or old. Create a positive environment and an opportunity for young people to get involved and they will. Not every young person is interested in old cars, just like not every old person is interested in old cars. People have been lamenting problems with the younger generation for a long time. A lot of the generation that is now lamenting those problems used to be the younger generation that the older generation was complaining about.

A quick look at the numeical vesion of this conversation is interesting. At 65000 members AACA has grabbed a grand total of .018% of the U.S. population of 350 million. We are a very small, niche segment of today's society and to keep a similar percentage of young people coming in to the hobby should be achievable so we can keep the status quo. If you want growth of the young people participating that is another story with many variables/obstacles. I have seen many recent stories how young people are more urban, do not plan on having a car, only see them as utilities, etc. but for the small number we need to recruit I feel continuing the hobby is very doable as long as we accept some changes. There is always competition for which hobby interests, priorities in time and other factors but when I see every young person I give a ride to light right up I know I am on the right track! Also interests change as we go through life so keep smilin' at 'em and open that passenger door- best sales tool we ever have!!

AACA membership has grown this past year, but has not got back to what was lost in the year before(2012). I think a big help in the on going discussion would be if everyone knew the median age of the new members. Can anyone in the club submit this info that possibly could put an end to this " discussion"? I know many don't care as long as their personal "needs" are served, and this goes on in all clubs. There are a few "doers" but by far, there are more floating members and the convenience of the internet (and the AACA forums) brings these "discussions" to our attention! Like all predictions, hopes, and playing with figures for the future, time will show the ultimate results. --Bob

This thread is interesting and very much in line with what I did this weekend to promote our hobby to the younger generation. We have a friend who just turned 30 with three small daughters, has been very sick for the past three years and been through a lot since their marriage four years ago, most recently the death of his mother in law two weeks ago. He loves the old cars, is a crack professional mechanic with his own licensed shop as a side business he is just starting. His day job since age 24 is manager of the fleet repair shop where he works.We have talked off and on about my cars, he as helped me with the Avanti and I love his lift and shop! Saturday he came over and we loaded the '38 Roadmaster and took it to his house. It has not been run since 1998 so it needs a little work to run and some TLC. He loves the car best of all of ours so we made a deal. He will keep the car at his house, return it to running condition and use it with his family as his own. I will own it, insure it, pay for all parts and have use of it when I want.I am excited about this idea from a few perspectives. A big one is my hope that I am promoting a young person's long term interest in the hobby. By letting him use the car with his family I also hope his girls get excited. This is also a way for a young person to enter the hobby in an affordable manner at a time in life he could not do it otherwise and maybe get two generations hooked. For me it gets a car I have neglected for way too long back on the road, I get to use it again, the value goes up with it running and I may have created a buyer for it down the road. (He has already asked if that was in the cards in the far future). We will probably invite them along on some local club events furthering his and his families' interest.We will have to see how this works out but he is a good friend, trustworthy person and I am comfortable in this adventure with him. It is a car I was not using since our interests have turned more to brass cars in recent years and he will love it like it deserves. I will probably fall in love with it again when I drive it next year too! Just getting it out in the daylight made me realize I still like the looks of it and I am not ready to get rid of it. It is still an impressive, rarely seen car with the dual sidemounts and is now even a CCCA recognized car. All in all I see it as a win-win for both of us! [ATTACH=CONFIG]223021[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]223022[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]223023[/ATTACH]
Avantey, that is great. I hope it works out well for both of you. Encourage him all you can.

I still don't understand why some people want to just complain that young people are not interested in old cars.

Matt: With all due respect you are missing the whole point on this subject. 1st we are not "COMPLAINING"; we are just stating the

facts. Nothing more; nothing less. I just can not see where you see the interest from the young people as a whole. Larry

P.S. I want to perserve the "old car thinking" probably more then you; but it is simply not there.

Ilskis, with all due respect to you, I think you are missing the point of the thread. As Avantey pointed out, only a very small percentage of adults are interested in old cars so why do we expect the majority of young people to be interested in old cars. I attend two churches, the pastor at one church is interested in trucks because he is a retired trucker but no one at either church shows any interest in old cars. When I was at Westvaco I knew hundreds of people and few of them were interested in old cars. The ones that were interested were in the 20 to 40 age category and not 50 and 60. I used to do a car show at a local school and the kids loved it. The teens begged to help with the show and the younger ones brought their model cars and waited their turn to help.

Avantey pointed out that less than one percent of the adults of this nation belong to the AACA that number could be lower because some of our members do not live in America. We are not likely to bring people into the AACA who are 70 years old because if they wanted to join they would have done so years ago. It just might be that a larger percentage of the young people have an interest in antique cars than of the adults. Let's think positively as Matt Hinson and Avantey are doing and reach out to the younger people and nurture their interest instead of denying it. (If my language seems harsh, forgive me.)

I can only think of three people in my 1970 HS class (of about 150) who had any interest in old cars... and all three of us are still friends today. With the exception of one cousin, no one in my family, or that I came into contact with through my family, shared that interest to even the smallest degree. If they had any opinion at all it was more likely to be my father's, that old cars were a stupid waste of time... and this was more than 40 years ago. The number of people that share an interest in this subject is and always has been quite small although, looking at it from the inside, it may not seem that way. In my real life I deal with the authors of collecting related books every day and many of them are dismayed that "everyone" doesn't share their interests. In fact, almost everyone they know does share their interests and this badly distorts their notion of just how popular that interest is.

We have no way of anticipating where the next generation of collectors will come from or what they will value. Personally, I suspect that a car simply being 25 years won't cut the mustard. It doesn't for me now... As I've said before, I very much doubt that many 20s Packard phaetons will be heading for the scrap yard because no one wants them... though if I still had my '71 Ford Pinto I'd be sending to the scrap yard myself without a shred of regret. No one can say that brass cars only appeal to people that remember them, because virtually no one is alive who does remember them – but that doesn't seem to have hurt their value. I collect early 19th century (pre-1830) New England rifles and the last person who carried one to the local militia muster probably died 150 years ago, but they don't seem to have gotten cheaper and I've never picked one out of someone's trash.

There may be plenty of potential car collectors out there... but how many people in their 20s or 30s have the disposable cash to buy them? I bought a '27 Cadillac in quite remarkable unrestored condition (it would be considered a fantastic "survivor" today) when I was 19 and drove it as my everyday car. Believe me, that was considered as strange then as it would be today. When I sold it, I bought a '29 PI Rolls Royce (for $3500). I doubt any of my nephews could afford to do something like that today even if they did have the interest. But, one of them is restoring a '46, 500cc BSA. I gave him the bike simply because he's bright and showing an interest... I feel as if there is a great deal of pointless hand-wringing going on here and in my more cynical moments I've thought the real question is "who'll pay a lot of money for the car I like when I want to sell it?"

Matt: keep pushing "OUR" point of view - It is great how your family is dedicated to our hobby -both of our kids grew up in the hobby, and attend when their jobs allow - my son and daughter both appreciate the cars as well as those who preserve them (that is how they were brought up), and had many sets of surrogate grandparents whenever we were on tour. Our grandson had his permit for about 10 days and drove the Sentimental Tour in 2012 at age 15-1/5 and judged the next month in Shelbyville -- we need to make, and keep it a family thing, and then expand it to our neighborhood family.

Larry: regional differences aside, I know that some younger families seem to have other priorities, but you would be amazed at how, by being invited to a few local activities, they start to feel like part of the group, and eventually DO become a part of the hobby. I know you mean it in a positive way - help us to put our cars, and especially the Brass Buicks, where young folks can see and touch, and go for a ride with us. Excitement is contagious.

Bill: FANTASTIC - you remember how I bugged you last summer, that I would drag out the '38 Buick and get it running? I love that car (so much like our '37), and think that your approach is one of the best I've seen. Your whole approach is not only generous, but very smart. You get a great car running, get a young family involved in the hobby, and give them a fun and affordable way to enjoy it. I know you'll want to drive the Buick on the 2014 Glidden in Defiance, Ohio next September. Is the recipient the gentleman who brought the Avanti back to your home last June? How did he make out in Texas?

Terry Bond: I had the pleasure of meeting Tyler, and am delighted to learn of his election to your Region's Board - please give him my regards and congratulations - it seems that he has been in the hobby for more than his actual years.

Howard: I enjoyed meeting your granddaughter when she drove you and Chris all over Alabama and Tennessee in your beautiful Plymouth convertible on the Founders Tour - and you were certainly the proud grandpa - the smile never left your face the entire week!

Dave Mellor: Junkyard memories brought me back to my Linden days and all the hours spent hunting parts in the wrecking yards in Avanel - I actually built a Crosley Hotshot, maintained a '42 Chevy, and made my '49 Pontiac convertible completely street-worthy. The younger folks do not have the same access as we did in the 1950s and '60s. We need to include them - give them the chance to share our garage experiences, etc.

• Like 1

AACA does not ask for any demographic information so we cannot answer this question.

AACA's memberships have changed very little over the last few years. We had a small dip in 2012 but have more than made up for that in 2013. Our membership count is the highest it has been since 2010 (did not go back any farther to check).

"so keep smilin' at 'em and open that passenger door- best sales tool we ever have!! " AMEN!

AACA expects memberships to rise again in 2014. We have numerous new initiatives to try and make this happen. The club is aggressively seeking growth in all segments and certainly "youth" (driving age to 50) is a major target.

The way I see it is when these discussions do not take place that means no one cares. Whether I agree with some of the premises or not, it is good that people have the opportunity to talk about our hobby and our goal of preserving history.

• Like 1

Like has been said before, the club is undertaking some great initiatives in this regard, but still it so depends on what each of us do individually to help secure the future of our hobby.

The topic surfaces quite often, was wondering if having a separate forum called "youth involvement" might be a good idea. It would be a handy one-stop reference point for all the discussion, including the many great ideas that always come up when the subject is aired. Example, we had a neat activity earlier this year organized by Andy Furhman from Richmond. He's active in Boy Scout leadership and brought a troop down for a camp-out at our Virginia Beach Aviation Museum. Never missing a chance to involve old cars, Andy invited some of our members out to do a history lesson for the group. We had Al Swenson's 1967 Mustang, Susan's 1948 MGTC, Bob Stein's 1937 Pontiac, Neil Sugermeyer's 1931 Willys, and Sam Kern's 1925 Franklin. There was quite a range of auto history and significant technological innovation represented there and the kids all came away with a lot of knowledge and a lot more interest that they started with. Who know - perhaps there's a future AACA leader among them?

post-30751-143142280988_thumb.jpg

post-30751-1431422810_thumb.jpg

post-30751-14314228101_thumb.jpg

post-30751-143142281019_thumb.jpg

post-30751-143142281029_thumb.jpg

IIskis, regarding the "Who makes it?" question . . . back when we were in High School, and younger, cars were a much more important part of our lives. They were our (and our family's) "status" in the world, there were so MANY ways to get a car equipped, that that would even fit into the "status" situation, too. Knowing about cars (and possibly sports) was just what "guys" did, back then, from what I remember. Cars were more the center of our universe back then, compared to now. Cars were our "freedom" and all that that meant to us AND those we might want to impress (who usually wore skirts, back then). If we drove cars, many usually had to work on them OR find somebody that could. It was a huge network, back then!

Car maintenance, car washing and waxing, etc. It was just a bigger part of our lives and somewhat defined "Who we were", individually and as a society.

AND it is still happening, just that many of us are NOT usually around where it does. In the 1990s, one of our car club members was getting his Plymouth Superbird re-assembled. His son was deep into 5.0L Mustangs, as were many of his friends. I was over at his shop one evening when some of the son's Mustang associates came by. John was also working on his Mustang, too, changing the K&N air filter element. These guys were talking among themselves about their Mustangs and those their friends had, as to what had been done to them and whatever. What further surprised me was when one started quoting an article about which mods were worth how much extra horsepower, just like WE used to do. And it continued from there, to drag racing improvments. You could have clicked things back about 45-50 years and and it would have been some of use, or the "big boys" we wanted to emulate when WE grew up, except about '57 Chevys or Fords or Plymouth/Dodge cars.

To me, one of the "sins" many older vehicle enthusiasts can make is to overlay THEIR orientations onto what THEIR CHILDREN should be interested in, relating to cars. WE might guide and mentor them, but being the indivual human beings they are, THEY need to develop and expand their own horizons, at their pace, rather to have something shoved down their throat, it seems to me. By observation, if the father is restoring a particular "car of his youth", the offspring will be around it and can gain an appreciation of it AND might want something similar . . . provided they LIKE that particular one . . . later on. That parent/offspring "bonding" situation! Or, if the parent is doing a '57 Chevy, from research and such, the offspring might desire to get their feet wet with a '58 Ford or '62 Dodge.

I've said it before and I'll say it again . . . If you want to see parent/offspring vehicle hobby involvement at a high level, venture up to the Mopar Nationals in Ohio. Look at how many younger people you see on the grounds. Look at how many "our general age" people you see there. Look at the "Young Guns" section of the car show area, too! One of the last years I was able to go, even Mothers tending to grandkids (in their arms) under the Viper tent! Now, Carlisle might have more older Chrysler product orientation, but the Mopar Nats is "total Mopar involvement" from about the 1950s up until current models.

And, you can probably see some of the same things at similar Ford or GM-brand events, too. But if you only go to your local car club chapter meetings and such, you'll probably only see "our age" people, unless somebody might have brought their grandkids, who were visiting. And, with time, you'll probably here some laments "No younger people want to join our club, so the hobby is doomed . . . " dialogue. Be that as it may . . .

In the "greater" DFW area, the number of weekend AND week-night car cruise events has increased phenominally since the later 1970s! Populations have expanded and so has the number of car enthusiasts, it seems. Some clubs have grown as other new ones (in many cases, of national affiliations) have come into the area with the people moving here from other locales. Plus the popular "Cars and Coffee" events. Perhaps they might see some exotic, high-end car they've heard about, then walk a few rows over for the modern Detroit "iron" factory 600+ horsepower hot rod, then a restored '60s or '70s muscle car, and possibly an "estate car" '65 Olds 98 4-dr hardtop (with the HUGE back seat and trunk, typical of such cars back then), or a pristine '66 Chevy Impala 2-dr hardtop. And, some of the owners of those Olds 98s or Impalas inherited those cars from family members (which gives them an automatic connection to THAT car, or one like it).

The opportunities are THERE and GROWING to get younger people excited about older cars and trucks . . . just that not every younger person might have those inclinations. Certainly, I suspect the percentages will be less than in the times when WE grew up, but the fact the percentages are still there is what matters! To some of these younger people, an "older car" would be a '90s Mustang LX hardtop 5.0L car, or possibly a '66 Mustang GT 2+2 289 4bbl car, for example. But the KEY THING is that they get involved in the hobby AND like it. Even if they might have to take some time out to establish a family and homestead, they'll probably get back into it when things get more stabilized for them. By observation, once you get "the bug" and "the passion", it seldom leaves.

Key thing is to get them to "smell the gasoline" (or "smell of burning rubber in the morning", to co-opt a famous movie dialogue). Then take it from there in a mutually-beneficial manner, hopefully. "Take a kid to a car show" is a great place to start (SEMA/ARMO tag line).

WE can do this!

NTX5467

I don’t think kids are any different now than they were when I was in high school in the seventies. I was in a class of 800 students with about 10 of us total that had an interest in old cars. A larger number of kids liked period cars but had no idea how to work on them. Others liked motorcycles or comic books. I know there was a period in the fifties when there was a boom in numbers of young car enthusiast but cars were cheep then. Today’s young people have huge cell phone bills<st1:PersonName w:st="on">, </st1:PersonName>computers<st1:PersonName w:st="on">, </st1:PersonName>game systems ect ect that delete their wallets. They feel they need these things to fit in with other kids and that’s ok. I have quite a few young neighbors that are in their early 20s married with kids and house payments. They LOVE my old cars and talk about the day when they can have a garage and work on their own projects. We need jobs in this country badly for this hobby to continue. Just my two cents worth.

Guest Classic50s

I wish to chime in again from a 25 year old perspective if i may.

I attended a high school of about 350 students. Many of the boys were into cars mostly 60s-70s era. I was the only one who drove a car of any vintage (57 Chevy daily in high school). I got alot of criticism for keeping the 235 and 3 on the tree in the car. Most boys would have dropped in a 350 set up and slammed it to the ground. Most guys my age think old cars are unreliable and expensive to maintain, so if they have a old car many would opt for a modern drivetrain. I haven't had any of my classics (daily drivers to show cars driven daily) that haven't been reliable. The issue is that most vintage cars will require work with screwdrivers and sockets and for young guys they would rather plug in a car to a computer or pay a shop to fix it. I don't have a problem tuning a carburetor or adjusting points because I have done it and familiar with it. Most guys my age never have and won't do it to avoid looking stupid because they can't. On the hand that young people just aren't interested in classic cars I know is not true. Granted being one of the only young guys working,driving, and restoring classics in my area I also attended McPherson Auto Restoration program and 85% at least of the students are young. The thing to remember is that the AACA is more known for factory concourse enthusiasts (in my perspective). Heck I like nice drivers/local show cars more then concourse. My 59 Buick is getting a 66 TH400 and 61 3rd member to help it deliver power better (and for driving practicality) so my car can never be a concourse car, nor would I want it to be because I love driving my classics. If it was that perfect I wouldn't drive it and that defeats the purpose of owning a car (to enjoy and drive it). I also recall right after high school several older car collectors helping me out and being very friendly and very interested in my project. It was that kindness and support that got me to attend McPherson, yet that passion is such that for me its a hobby. When you guys see a young guy interested in cars. Help him out, teach him, and show him what his hard work can accomplish. It will make a lasting impression and put more guys in the hobby. :)

Guest hdchevroletusa

10 4 on making impressions on the young kids.

When I was in elementary school in the early 60's, my gym teacher Mr. Bartha had a white 60 Vette. That car was SO cool! That started it for me. I'm 57 now, and have 4 antique Vettes in my garage.

Last week I had my 61 at a cruise night, and a little boy in elementary school drove past with his dad, and they stopped to look at the cars. He was in awe, and I asked him if he'd like to sit in the Vette. He was speechless as I helped him in the car and let him honk the horn.

Hope he remembers that night, similar to me remembering Mr. Bartha.

We all liked what we liked, back then, for different reasons. Perhaps the powertrains were secondary to style and such? I can appreciate a 3-speed manual transmission in a '57 Chevy, especially if it's in front of a factory OD system, even on a 235 engine. With the OD, that would have meant a 3.70 or 4.11 rear axle ratio, which would have allowed that measly 6-holer to leave some V-8s in the dust at red lights . . . at least through 1st gear. What fun that could be! Especially since prior to the first "car" four speeds, the 3-speed OD was the hotter set-up.

One thing which is special, to me, is the sounds the "vehicles of my youth" made. The engine sounds, the exhaust sounds, the starter, the doors closing, etc. They were usually specific to particular brands of vehicles (even among the various GM brands!). The way Ford did things, how Chrysler and GM did things, which were usually unique and different, which all affected "the feel" of each of their corporate vehicles (again, even within the GM brands). Some of this was related to their styling and designs, which made them even more special as they might change a little each year, which was something that many of use HAD to keep up with IF we were as into cars as we claimed to be.

The spectacular styling which usually began with the '55 cars and continued into the earlier 1970s certainly was neat and memorable, but it was what was under that sheet metal that got many of our juices flowing . . . even today . . . back then. Everything was EXPECTED to be different, rather than the genericized vehicles we have in more modern times. There were many of those cars which definitely tripped my trigger back then . . . and some that didn't . . . and I can tell you "Why" on both counts, in a respectful manner.

In many cases, it was easier for us to find out these things back then, as it seemed we were somewhat "born with" an inclination to want to learn something about cars. In some respects, modern kids seem to be even farther back on the learning curve than we were. This is why getting them CORRECT and CREDIBLE information is of key importance!

In those earlier times, if we were going to "soup up" our cars, we had to know something about them. You had to network and learn what was best and what was worst about what to do, what could be done, and how to do it . . . IF we wanted our dreams to be fulfilled on available funds. Now, you can go online and find things to purchase that will do that, rather than scrounding salvage yards for things . . . and wave "the magic plastic" . . . to make things happen, usually in about a week. Whether it's modifications or reproduction parts . . . similar situation.

As time has proceeded as it has, some of my priorities have been altered. But that does NOT mean my prior passions for cars are anywhere near depleted. When I see an older car, of most any brand, I remember when it was newer and "just a used car" (and USED as such!). I smile when I look at those multi-colored interiors and wonder WHY we let the beancounters give us only "tan" or "black" trim codes now!

ONE thing I'm glad of is that we can now have the classic styling with modern amenities and propulsion systems. It's amazing what's out there now, that wasn't 10 years ago.

I fully understand the upgrade from the DynaFlow on the '59 Buick to the "Wildcat 401 THM400". Phoenix Trans did such a conversion for one of our BCA chapter members about 15 years ago, in a '62 LeSabre. It made a WORLD of difference in the way the car performed! So much so that the owner's teen-aged son wanted to drive it . . . imagine that, 15 years ago! I suspect an Olds or Pontiac or Cadillac rear suspension can be grafted to the existing frame for a "factory-engineered" result, too. Sound be a really nice result! Just as adding a self-learning EFI system and electronic ignition system can be further upgrades, later on.

One of our prior BCA chapter members and another BCA chapter member came to be "at odds" over the fact the latter had "repurposed" a '79 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham frame under his '49 Roadmaster Riviera. Other than the OEM Boranni wire wheels and rear sway bar hanging down, as tip-offs that something was not "as it came", it was a completely stock-appearing vehicle with a nice two-tone paint job and custom interior. AND . . . it drove like a '79 Cadillac, too, which those older Roadmasters didn't. Which brought up the "found it under a tree and didn't want it to rust away" vs "Don't do it unless you put it back stock . . ." conversation.

There are MANY sides to that subject and conversation. NOT going to get involved in that!

Hopefully, if we are good mentors of these younger enthusiasts, we can get them keyed-into what made the older vehicles unique and precious to us. Maybe even enough for them to resist the "street rod" approach AND introduce them to the wonders of AM radio programming (which includes many oldies radio stations! www.trueoldies.com ). Because . . . once that suspension is lowered (by whatever means), that engine is swapped out for something more modern, and a modern sound system in installed (other than the OEM look-alike, with modern guts, in-dash radios), much of what made each brand of vehicle unique is lost . . . . other than the visuals. The result might be a nice car, a neat car, and a well-done vehicle . . . but it's not the same. This is a variable situation (depending upon the brand of vehicle and their enthusiast base) depending upon many factors (which can include the vehicle's future worth and ready-saleability) and many "sensitivities" issues.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

• 2 years later...