Toronado Convertible ?

Guest BJM

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/4172865761.html

01616_5LFHjjEhSss_600x450.jpg1983 Oldsmobile Toronado Convertible. Very few of these made, a real collector that will only increase in value. Black, New top, good tires, real wire wheels (not covers), RR grille, runs and drives, but needs work. Has small crack in windshield and needs bumper fillers. Top powers down, but not up. $2,500 firm, Call 515-two 3 eight - seven 0 eight nine

They made a lot more of the Eldorado but I'll bet the share a lot of components. We had a couple and they were ok build quality.

"They", of course, would be American Sunroof Company. GM never made a Toro convertible. These were all aftermarket. The same convertible top hardware was used on the ASC Rivieras and Eldos of the mid-1980s. The Riv convertibles were made from 1982-85. Toros were only 84-85, I believe.

Something is wrong with that grille too. This seller is unrealistic (i.e. $2500 firm) in my opinion. There are a glut of used convertibles, all makes, on craigs list. Anyway, I knew about the Buick Rivieras and the Eldorados. I believe the Buicks were considered "factory" - not sure on the Eldorados. I think some Eldorados were and some were not.

Something is wrong with that grille too. This seller is unrealistic (i.e. $2500 firm) in my opinion. There are a glut of used convertibles, all makes, on craigs list. Anyway, I knew about the Buick Rivieras and the Eldorados. I believe the Buicks were considered "factory" - not sure on the Eldorados. I think some Eldorados were and some were not.

The grille is one of the aftermarket "Rolls Royce" grilles common in the 1980s, more commonly seen in understated gold plating. :rolleyes:

None of the cars were "factory", though some carried a factory or dealer warranty.

I wonder what the Oldsmobile thinking was at the time. In other words, were they laying back and seeing if the Riviera was a success? It wasn't. Riviera convertible sales peaked the 1st year 1982 but that was also the worst year for quality and by the time 1985 rolled around, they were very expensive and production was low.

I seem to recall that my convertibles came from Hess & Eisenhardt and not ASC! They also did the Ciera convertibles we sold at my dealership.
Interesting. Makes me want to go look at this car just to see who and how it was built.

I seem to recall that my convertibles came from Hess & Eisenhardt and not ASC! They also did the Ciera convertibles we sold at my dealership.

Hess & Eisenhardt did make the Ciera convertibles. ASC made the E-body convertibles.

Joe, I have to respectfully disagree with you on this! At least as far as Classic Oldsmobile in Merrillville, Indiana is concerned. I was pretty sure I even remembered the flyer we had when I ordered a few of these. I called one of my friends who purchased a convertible from me to see if he recalled and he mentioned H & E before I said anything. I did do a very, very brief look at Google and found many references to the H & E Toronados.

Maybe ASC also made them as well? What I cannot remember is whether these cars were drop shipped to them or not. I sold several of them back in the day.

In any event, we had very few problems with the cars except for the price!

Edited by Steve Moskowitz
grammar..ashamed! (see edit history)

• 2 years later...

It used the XS wrap around back window design  It was a t-top design where the roof panels retracted on top of one another to form something like the C-3 Corvette t-top. I understand production was being considered  (they printed some brochures featuring it). A couple were produced and one is in private hands (a guy in New Jersey I think restored it a few years back). Problems with the subcontractor producing the units or maybe quality control lead to it's cancelation. They did make a similar designed Eldorado in 77 or 78. Low production and without the XS window of course. I think the XS Toronado are really beautiful cars. Under appreciated in my opinion.

• Like 1