Laughing Coyote

1961 Mercury Meteor 800 restore

Broke off from work early today and decided to get the front panel painted. Did all the final sanding and priming yesterday. Now if the weather is decent tomorrow and I get the honey do list done quick enough I will start on some rocker dent repair.

IMG_4437.JPG

I did get some time in to work on the car. The rocker was caved in pretty good. it was covered in the old green/grey bondo. Once it was cleaned up I used a stud gun my friend let me borrow for the project. Works pretty cool. It spot welds a metal pin to the metal and then you put the slide hammer on it and bang it out. A lot of the damage came out. Not to much left to do. May have to use some filler on it, but not a 1/4" thick. The body guys that worked on it before just punched a hole thru the sheet metal under the door threshold and pounded out they could and covered it up. So I will have to patch that hole too.

IMG_4438.JPG

IMG_4439.JPG

IMG_4440.JPG

IMG_4441.JPG

IMG_4442.JPG

IMG_4443.JPG

IMG_4444.JPG

IMG_4445.JPG

IMG_4447.JPG

• Like 3

Haven't had a chance to do anything on the car. It's that holiday rush and I've been buried with orders. Of course there has to be "can I get it for Christmas" orders on top as well. After doing some of the repair work on the rocker panel and pulled the car in the garage I kept smelling gas. So after looking it over I found out that where the sending unit goes into the tank it has been leaking. I'm hoping it's just the seal for the sender and not a leaky new tank. Oh, and the new sender isn't working either. The fuel gauge hasn't been registering so I put in a NOS one and still nothing. I did some research and checked the voltage from the gauge voltage regulator and it's fine. Have power up to the sender too. So now I have to drain the tank, pull the sender and find out what's going on. Then reinstall all over again. Oh the joys of automobiles. I'm hoping after the rush I can have a few days to work on my car again.

Roger, the schematic shows a small ground symbol to the tank, but when I was dis assembling the car there were no signs of a ground wire nor where there any signs of a ground to the chassis. Not sure how they grounded the fuel tank. I know the tank straps had a webbing material on them as not to rub thru the tank so that would not be a good ground. I just don't want to drill a hole thru the corner flange and bolt a wire. That wouldn't look correct. I didn't see anything on the old tank either. :unsure:

1 hour ago, Laughing Coyote said:

Roger, the schematic shows a small ground symbol to the tank, but when I was dis assembling the car there were no signs of a ground wire nor where there any signs of a ground to the chassis. Not sure how they grounded the fuel tank. I know the tank straps had a webbing material on them as not to rub thru the tank so that would not be a good ground. I just don't want to drill a hole thru the corner flange and bolt a wire. That wouldn't look correct. I didn't see anything on the old tank either. :unsure:

Might have had a ground clip between the fuel outlet and fuel line bridging the rubber connection as a Chrysler product of the era had....

gas tank ground strap.JPG

fuel line ground clip1.jpg

The fuel sender is attached with screws to the tank. A wire end under one screw and the other end of the wire attached to the body or frame will be enough. The ground was maybe done between the upper half of the tank and the trunk floor; usually there is not much paint in this area from the factory. During a restoration, people (me included) are painting the floor with more paint to avoid  the rust.

The clip may be an option. There are no screws that hold the sender in the tank. It has a ring that cams it into place with pressure against the rubber gasket on the back side of the sender mounting flange. 

Gas Tank Sending Unit - Mercury Except Station Wagon

I crawled under the car today real quick with a wire that had an alligator clip at each end. I clipped it to the metal fuel line and the fuel inlet at the sender and checked the to see if the gauge worked. It Does! I'm a happy camper. To bad I changed out the gauge with out checking this first. I now have a spare. I still have to pull the sender since it's leaking around it. I may need a wider gasket material since the other one is pretty thin and don't have much surface area. Thanks for the help guys.

Edited by Laughing Coyote (see edit history)
  • Like 1

There is a guy on the SDC forum that will say "It's probably a grounding issue" just about any time someone asks about a weird electrical issue, especially lights and gauges. Good grounds are one of the first things I check for now on old cars. For example, I've been amazed at what a inconspicuous ground wire to a good tested ground will do for a horn (especially a 6 volt horn) -- sometimes the increase in volume and tone is significant.

Martin, looking forward to more pictures when you get time to get back to the Merc!

I'm just glad it wasn't anything else where I had to tear into more wiring or other electrical issues. I'm hoping to get back on the car here real quick. This month has been a killer and January is already filled up. Paul, when are we going to see that new engine you were working on run? I know you had an engine stand almost ready to go.

1 hour ago, Laughing Coyote said:

Paul, when are we going to see that new engine you were working on run? I know you had an engine stand almost ready to go.

Well Martin, I got sidetracked on another Studebaker that I'm planning to use to drive to Arizona in the Spring. Here is a link to the thread on the Studebaker Drivers Club forum:  http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?100618-1964-Daytona-Hardtop-Rescue-Effort&highlight=studebaker+rescue

Well I took sometime to work the cars gas tank issue. After getting all the gas out and dropping the tank I had a nice surprise why the tank was leaking. The sender seal was leaking. The reason why it was leaking is because the tank lock ring. When you cam the sender lock ring around into place to lock the sender it puts pressure on the tank lock ring that is spot welded to the tank and smashing the seal tighter and tighter to form a leak proof seal. Well it must of been to much pressure on the crappy spot welds that hold the ring onto the tank. They popped loose when I installed the sender originally. Of course it was the top ones so I couldn't see anything. You just can't buy anything worth a sh_t anymore. It's all junk. Now I have to purge the tank so I can put a real bead of weld on it so I doesn't leak. I also welded a wire terminal to the sender so I will have a ground when I finally get it back together AGAIN.

IMG_4464.JPG

IMG_4465.JPG

IMG_4466.JPG

IMG_4467.JPG

• Like 1

Haven't had a chance to weld up the fuel tank yet, but itching to get it fixed and back in the car. I did manage to finish up my vintage Mercury sign. I have made others for my shop too. I can make all kinds of vintage looking signs. They have a real rusted patina with a flat clear top coat. I used the same script as what's on the Mercury. I'm going to make several gas signs next.  If anyone is interested in something let me know.

IMG_E4475.JPG

IMG_3729.JPG

IMG_3730.JPG

IMG_3856.JPG

• Like 1

Yesterday I took time out from my annual shop cleaning and welded up the sender ring on the tank. I also added some B 1/2 sealant (if you worked around any modern military aircraft you know the stuff) around the ring to make sure there will be no leaks. I then added a fresh coat of paint and ready to go. I checked the sender to make sure it's all good before I put it in the tank and re hang it. We're all set now.  I just need to get some gas and hopefully be back on track. ;)

IMG_4476.JPG

IMG_4477.JPG

IMG_4478.JPG

IMG_4480.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks wldavis. Today I took some time and built my front seat. I used the method that Roger did and made a wood seat. They may not be covered in fine leather, but I think the old patio cushions go well with the tan and gold. :P The only thing there is no adjustment in the seats, but it's a lot better to sit in and not chase cushions around when trying to drive.

IMG_4494.JPG

IMG_4495.JPG

IMG_4497.JPG

• Like 3

The car looks beautiful. You do great work.  Why the wooden seat and not the original?

Gary, I have the original ones stored away until I get further along on the car. After the car is painted then I will get the seats and door panels completed so I can just put them in without having to store them. They're stored in my shed out of the elements, but not an idea place for newly upholstered seats. As I do the body work I keep the engine, dash, etc  covered as not to get it covered with dust, so the less stuff to cover the less I have to worry about keeping clean.