Laughing Coyote

1961 Mercury Meteor 800 restore

486 posts in this topic

Thanks Paul,

Since the engine had the fan on it and a new radiator I wasn't really worried about the temperature getting too hot.  I just wanted to add it for air movement.  My concern would be is a box fan going to produce enough air movement to cool your engine.  The engine fan throws a lot of air.  You just have to be careful around it when its running.  Yes it's scary, you just have to be aware at all times.  Make sure all your wires are secured for your timing light, meters etc. so they don't fly around and get wrapped up in anything.  You can do it.

Congratulations!!  How satisfying and fun to get running.

Thanks Frank29u.  Yes, it's great to have that part done. Today was a good day.  Had to run into town and get my exhaust system that came in yesterday.  Stopped off at the drive line shop and picked up my drive shaft.  It's like Christmas in April.  Parts coming in from everywhere.  Now I have to get time to get this car back together.  I had a customer come by and pick up a seat frame I fabricated for his 1971 Land Cruiser he's restoring.  He couldn't find anyone in town that would make one.  Now all I need is the dash pad so I can get it painted and on the dash.  Once on then I can add the cluster and mount it along with the steering column.  I'm going to see if I can get the engine and trans in the car this weekend.

IMG_3949.JPG

IMG_3950.JPG

IMG_3951.JPG

IMG_3967.JPG

IMG_3968.JPG

IMG_3969.JPG

IMG_3970.JPG

1 person likes this

Happy Easter everyone.  I had a busy day.  The Mrs. and I installed the motor and trans. Went very well.  I used my new engine sling she bought fro Amazon.  It was like $80, but it's light and the tilt works pretty nice. Pretty happy with it.  And when your done with it you can put in in your tool box and doesn't take up much room at all. A little bigger than a standard multi-meter. Now I have to get the rest of the drive line in, exhaust and all the other little assemblies.  Then the inner fender wells will get blasted so I can paint and install them after everything is all buttoned up.  I want to get it running again. Like to hear it purr.

IMG_3977.JPG

IMG_3978.JPG

IMG_3979.JPG

IMG_3980.JPG

IMG_3981.JPG

IMG_3982.JPG

IMG_3983.JPG

IMG_3984.JPG

IMG_3985.JPG

3 people like this

Looking great. I enjoy following your build.

Thanks Gary.  It's been a long road to get to this point, but well worth it. I can't wait to have it move under its own power again.

Posted (edited)

That car is looking really beautiful. The amount of detail with the markings and everything is incredible. Color me jealous.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Thanks Keiser.  Don't be jealous, you can at least drive yours. I still have to put mine back together. :D

I had some time this afternoon and decided to do a little more on the car.  I hooked up all the E brake cables and brackets, speedo cable is in and installed the H pipe.  Waldon did a great job.  Fit like a glove.  Very pleased.  Have to buy some hangers and clamps when I'm out next time.  Also I will be tacking the inner fender wells to the coaters to get sand blasted so they will be ready for paint.

IMG_4001.JPG

IMG_4002.JPG

Martin, this is going to be one beautiful Merc. I love details. Great work.

Thanks John S.  I took the inner fender wells to the coaters and she told me to come back in a few hours and they will be done.  I had to run a few other errands and when I stopped back by they were all done.  I have to straighten a few things on them and they will be ready for paint.

IMG_4009.JPG

IMG_4011.JPG

IMG_4012.JPG