1938 Packard Super 8 at Hershey

Den41Buick

Did anyone see the 1938 Packard Super 8 at Hershey in the car coral? I did not see it before it sold. Does anyone recall seeing what was the asking price? Thanks

post-60701-143142235783_thumb.jpg

Don't know price, but I think I saw this same car being loaded into a van at the "overseas" area on the corner of the Chocolate field....a '39 V12 convertible sedan sold at the RM auction for around $130K, that's a fair price for a 12 if in nice condition...and in fact low if in better than nice......the 8 shown should have sold for around $90-100K fairly easily, if mechanically good....normally mechanical condition is secondary consideration on such a car, but I can tell you from both personal and anecdotal experience/evidence that the 1938 Super 8 engines have major metallurgical issues, and as a friend says, there are two types of blocks on these cars....ones that are cracked, and ones that are going to crack. Hairline cracks, usually between valve seats, but as in my case, they'll produce a steam car...

These are great driving cars, Packard went to a different front independent suspension and a different steering geometry in 1938, and the result was a car that's a delight to drive, responsive and easy to steer....