Kissel 1918 Sedanette

• 1 month later...

All - Here's my monthly update on this restoration. Since last time - - -

Built rear seat deck and created oak compartments under the seat, a common Kissel trait.

Rewired and completely rebuilt the dashboard and ignition parts. Kissel used a unique square CLUM switch.

Carved, set, and trimmed out the door latches, door bumpers, and suicide door dead bolts. very intricate carving.

Readied all engine parts for shipment to my engine rebuilder.

Introduced some of my grandchildren to the car. they loved playing in it!

Thanks, RON HAUSMANN P.E.

post-101322-0-77719100-1453776405_thumb.

post-101322-0-38019600-1453776433_thumb.

post-101322-0-15780900-1453776494_thumb.

post-101322-0-28346100-1453776531_thumb.

post-101322-0-00214100-1453776645_thumb.

• 1 month later...

All - Here's my monthly update on this restoration. Since last time - - -

Built rear seat deck and created oak compartments under the seat, a common Kissel trait.

Rewired and completely rebuilt the dashboard and ignition parts. Kissel used a unique square CLUM switch.

Carved, set, and trimmed out the door latches, door bumpers, and suicide door dead bolts. very intricate carving.

Readied all engine parts for shipment to my engine rebuilder.

Introduced some of my grandchildren to the car. they loved playing in it!

Thanks, RON HAUSMANN P.E.

I just want you to know you inspired me to tackle a 1917 Lexington, you truly have done some wonderful restorations with Kissels

• 5 weeks later...

All,

Been Awhile since I posted updates on the restoration of this wonderful 1918 Kissel Model 6-38 Sedanlet. These were variously advertised as "Sedane' ", "Sedanlet", or "Sedanlette" models, which is kind of funny because there is only ONE left - this car !

Since last update, we have restored the dash instruments, wired the dash, created and rubberized the floor boards, and fine-tuned the door latches and hinges. Also decided to mount custom - optional Buffalo wire wheels to the car, in lieu of the wood ones now on it. Next week it goes to the sheet metal artist who will help me finish all the metal body panels.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

IMG_2007 [160282].JPG

IMG_2009 [160283].JPG

IMG_2008 [153970].JPG

IMG_1500.JPG

IMG_1698 [267932].JPG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

All,

Here is an update on restoration as of June, 2016;

Buffalo wheels are being added in lieu of previously shown wood - these were a Kissel option and the sportized versions of Kissels seemed to always have these mounted. I have a full six-wheel set that I am almost finished restoring (pictured in almond color). Am also having new Buffalo wire wheel hubs and axles made. That's expensive but necessary and these are portable to my other Kissels. Also have meticulously restored six wonderful nickel Buffalo wire wheel hub caps (pictured) Lastly, the body panel restoration by Mike Kleeves continues. Much is being made new, by using old panels as patterns.

It will be nailed together this Thursday!

Ron Hausmann P.E.

IMG_2232 [186344].JPG

IMG_2238 [229732].JPG

IMG_2239 [229733].JPG

IMG_1845 [345198].JPG

DSC_0314 [221203].JPG

DSC_0316 [221205].JPG

• 1 month later...

All,

A few more pictures of status of restoration as of July 2016.

Body panel work restoration was more necessary than initially thought and new door panels being made.

Instrument, Wire wheel, and new hubs being manufactured.

Progress slow but authentic and precise.

Also talked with a guy who has original 1918 Kissel Sedanette lights (pictured) vbut he hasn't called back or communicated. These light are unique to this Kissel and hope to get back in touch with him somehowe.

Thanks, RON

DSC_0330 [209555].JPG

DSC_0331 [209556].JPG

DSC_0329 [209554].JPG

1918 Kissel Sedane' Factory 5 DoubleSixSedanlet.jpg

Great project, and remarkable progress.  I want to note that the wire wheels with the "1/2 ping-pong ball" domes over each drive pin were made by Hayes Wheel Company of Jackson, Michigan. They are very similar to Houk, but the Houk have "open holes" on each drive pin.  Houk was absorbed and then manufactured by Wire Wheel Corporation of America in Buffalo, NY, which also manufactured wheels commonly referred to as "Buffalo" wheels.  The Hayes are fine, correct era wheels, and would have been available to add to the car as accessory additions or through many car dealers.

• 2 weeks later...

All,

Received the body, cowl, and hood back from Metal working shop and mounted the hard top today. It fit wonderfully!!! see the picture.

Also received call back from person with the unique Kissel double headlights, correct for only this car and two years, and got the headlights in trade. Also am clopse to finishing the fabrication of Houck/Buffalo No. 5 wire wheel hubs and axles to "sportize" this car, as shown in the second picture.

Life is good. RON

IMG_2436 [592322].JPG

1918 Kissel Sedane' factory 1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

All,

Here is how she looks as of August 12, 2016.

All the body metal is glued and nailed on, including undernails which was particularly hard. They must have done it from a pit when Kissels were originally manufactured.

All fenders, etc and top have been reassembled and adjusted for final fitting, again.

This month the fenders will be finished and then we are ready to paint.

The engine, a correct Kissel Hundred Point Six cast in Wisconsin, now in pieces, will go to my trusty engine rebuilder.

Getting close - - - -

Thanks, Ron Hausmann PE

IMG_2499 [834140].JPG

IMG_2503 [834154].JPG

IMG_2500 [834146].JPG

IMG_2496 [834129].JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks great. Another "easy" restoration almost finished! I watch your progress and remind myself I need to get back to my final two stars that are in process. Ed

• 2 months later...

All,

Sorry for not updating more this summer. Have gotten tied up building a new home as well as a new car shop, and doing numerous car shows, so my Sedanette has been left alone for awhile. I did get to do the following over the last few months;

a. Finished instrument panel

b. Procured and refinished 6 buffalo no. 5 wire wheels and hub mounting apparatus. the hubs are brand new machined.

c. Assembled Kissel Model 6-38 correct engine parts to be overhauled and assembled. 

The attached picture actually shows several unique Kissel engines, some extra and some still to be mounted into my cars as follows left to right;

1. Kissel Model 6-38 engine block - for my 1918 Kissel Sedanlette

2. Kissel Model 6-45 engine block - for my unrestored 1923 Gold Bug kissel

3. Kissel Model 6-55 engine complete - extra

4. Kissel Model 8-65 Lycoming Engine with factory Kissel Modifications - for my 1927 Kissel

5. Kissel Model 8-126 Lycoming Engine with factory Kissel Modifications - extra

With winter coming, it's back to work on the Sedanlette

RON    

IMG_2764[1789].JPG

Kissel News Article June 25, 2016.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

All,

As of December 5, 2016, I'm getting back onto this Kissel project. Pictured below is car as of that date. Carved oak wood to

(black) has been completed and oak grain filled. Door tops and bottoms have been fine tuned and hinges all made correct. That was very hard considering how these are jointed. Body is ready to paint. Fenders are fitted but these still need bodywork. Also finished putting new springs into the buffalo Houk n 5 wire well caps. These are things of real beauty. I may trade these for ones which have "Kissel Kar" medallions instead of "Kissel" which would be period correct.

also am restoring the rare Kissel double- lens lights that were on some of these models. Weird but cute things that I'll picture next time.

Ron Hausmann P. E.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

As of 12-6-16, have dismounted the carved oak wood top and done some oak grain filling and sanding. See picture.

Have also mounted the "trunk" hinges and adjusted everything to function smoothly. Like everything else on this beast, the trunk hinges are real monstrous cantraptions, over-engineered, and the trunk itself is, well, tiny. But it looks good.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

IMG_2828[2731].JPG

IMG_2829[2732].JPG

IMG_2832[2706].JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

All - Status as of December 16, 2016:

a. Body and chassis, carved wood remove able top are all done. Fitting fenders prior to paint.

b. Trunk fine adjusting and lock-caps being fitted.

c. Restoring unique Kissel double- bulb headlights as shown. Almost impossible but located a pair. Some early pictures show these lights or singles - not really sure if we'll ever know what is correct., but doubles are sexy.

d. Finishing buffalo sport wheels to replace wood. Why not?. The car was a sport model. Thanks to Bruce for joining in machining brand new Buffalo no. 5 hubs which are actually even rarer than the wheels, shown.

metalwork on fenders, engine assembly, paint and upholstery, are all that's left. Maybe done in a year for its 100 the anniversary. The end is in sight!

thanks, Ron Hausmann P. E.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

All,

Have slowed down my Kissel restoration very much as we are in the end stages of building a large new home. But am getting an occasional day in and the end is in sight!. As of May, 2017,

a. Carved wood top and upper doors have been professionally, and beautifully painted and polished (pictured)

b. Body and Apron gear is being painted now and will be done June 2017.

c. Fenders are being bodyworked and should be painted June/ July.

d. Wire wheel running gear, hubs, drums and new axles are ready to be installed.

I expect that painted body will be assembled on to the completed Chassis this summer. that leaves only the engine and upholstery.

Thanks. Ron Hausmann P.E.

IMG_3701[11601].JPG

IMG_3702[11602].JPG

IMG_3703[11603].JPG

IMG_3227[6834].JPG

• Like 1

All - Here's another picture of the finished, painted, and machined wire wheel hubs, drums, and brand new axles. Now I can easily switch from wood wheels to wire wheels without disassembly of the rear stuff. Thanks to fellow Kissel owner Bruce who had sets made.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

IMG_3462[11636].JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

All,

Making progress again. Here are some pictures of unit as of July 10, 2017. Right now, we are in the assembly phase;

1) Engine and engine accessories have been delivered to St. Claire Engine, who has rebuilt many Kissel Six engines successfully for me. ETA on completed engine is November, 2017.

2) Hard top from prior postings has has a complete new top mounted and its now trimmed and complete.

3) Body aprons, Doors, and Complete Body Tub have been painted professionally by Detroit Deluxe.

4) Assembly of Body on to rolling chassis has started. Illl post pictures in a month when done.

Kissels were factory ordered, either using their stock black or navy colors, or "optional" colors - whatever you wanted - according to period advertisements. So i chose this blue grey color so that it would work if the car is configured either as a four-passenger Sedanlette Roadster with a tan convertible top, or as a Sedanlette Sedan with its pictured black removeable hard top. 

Now the fun stuff begins!

IMG_3800[14728].JPG

IMG_3803[14730].JPG

IMG_3798[14736].JPG

IMG_3796[14734].JPG

IMG_3793[14742].JPG

IMG_3729[11777].JPG

IMG_3795[14743].JPG