Kissel 1918 Sedanette

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

All,

As of August 15th, 2017 the assembly of the car body is proceeding well. Fitment of doors and door anchors are better in fact than I expected. Also found that smartly engineered shims under the body bolts really make the doors match perfectly. The pictures below show the left and right door uppers and lowers mounted, the trunk lid attached, the new rear seat springs fitted, and the floor boards re-attached. Now just waiting for the fenders from my bodywork expert and the Kissel 6-38 engine.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

IMG_3909.JPG

IMG_3913.JPG

IMG_3910.JPG

IMG_3912.JPG

IMG_3911.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 10:24 PM, alsancle said:

hursst - This is the only Kissel Sedanlette or Sedane' that survived. it was only made from late 1916 thru 1918 and few were ever sold to begin with. it is the immediate ancestor of the 1919-1927 Kissel Gold Bug.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

+1

9. 1918 Kissel Sedanette Brochure.JPG

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

All,

Sorry for the long silence. We built a large home in 2017 and have just moved in. Accordingly my restoration hobby had to take a backseat to my house construction project and helping my wife thru the unending selection process that's attendant to building a large house. Now we are moved in and I'm back finishing this 1918 Kissel restoration!

Below are pictures of the 1918 Kissel's front apron and rear fenders. The Kissel aprons on these "Hundred Point Six" cars were of two styles - sloped for early ones from 1916-1917, and straight for 1917 and 1918's. At least that's what I deduce from parts cars and pictures.

We made NEW rear fenders instead of repairing the old ones. Easier to do as opposed to trying to unbend a hundred years of kinks and brazing on the old ones.

Now we are working on the Front fenders and finishing the mighty Kissel 6-38 engine.

Thanks, Ron Hausmann P.E.

4-5-18 (1).JPG

4-5-18 (2).JPG

4-5-18 (3).JPG

IMG_4175.JPG

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

All,

Have fitted the rear fenders and drilled and bracketed them in place. Also have fitted the rear fender internal skirts which separate the interior of the wheel wells from the passenger compartments.

With these old mandrel English-Wheel fenders, you, create the fender itself and then hand-fit them into place from running board, wood-screw by wood-screw, towards the back and then adjust the rear fender brackets to suit. Then you "square-off" the fenders and the flush lines with the running boards using the main brackets. This stretches the metal to some degree. I'm letting them sit and stretched for awhile before I dismount them and take them to the painter. 

This is a lot of tedious work but gratifying when you get them dead even and square with the body and running boards.

Front fenders are next !

Ron Hausmann P.E.

Went to my machine shop today to drop off some parts for my 31’ Chevy engine and the owner showed me a beautiful Kissel engine they have just finished. They’re waiting on a grommet for something but I can’t remember exactly what. Not your motor,is it? 

Christchurch,

Kissel made their own L-head six cylinder engines completely, from 1916 thru 1925. Bore and stroke changed but engine was the same, or almost. Everything Kissel made. So if you need parts you either have several parts cars available, like I do, or you make old ford tractor parts fit. Usually I have found modern aluminium Pistons and titanium rods of proper dimensions to replace the internals. The engines then crank a lot better when they are not dragging around all that old cast iron.

im assuming what you saw was a 1922 six cylinder - there is a person in NH who is restoring one.

thanks, Ron 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All,

Ok. Getting close. Here are the new front fenders being checked for fitment, prior to going to the painter. I'm using a Detroit hot rod shop to do the painting of large parts and they are doing a wonderful job.

After I Get all the fenders and trim back from the painters, I ,merely have to mount the engine which is being overhauled by st. Claire Engine, and do upholstery in leather.

close!

Ron Hausmann P.E.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

All,

Working with Hot-Rod painting shop, Detroit Deluxe, getting fenders and skirts finally painted. And hood. Should be done September 2018.

While awaiting fender painting, have acquired an essentially brand new 1918 Kissel Model 6-38 engine in Montana. Having driven there and back and inspected it, This orphan-engine is far, far better than the cobbeling together of parts from three other, less quality Kissel 6-38 engines which we were doing. My engine mechanic, St. Claire engine, has disassembled it without the need for any break-free !!! Even the head botls came free. tThe paint is still on the inside covers (see pictures) and the engine exhibits no wear. We can't figure out how this engine, sitting in Montana, in a rusty chassis, with rotten wood, is near-pristine. But while we will never know, we will use it in this 100-point restoration!

IMG_4854[26652].JPG

IMG_4853[26650].JPG

IMG_4848[26648].JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

West - the Kissel emblem shows that this case is from 1915-1918, before they went to just "Kissel". In the teens, spare parts could be ordered directly from the factory., so we think this is a shipping container from the Kissel plant in Hartford Wisconsin . It has been for sale on eBay but there are so few of us Kissel guys that it has not sold. 

Thanks for the interesting post. Ron 

• 2 weeks later...

All -

These pictures are as of September 6, 2018 and week before.

Fenders, front apron, radiator shell, interior fender mudguards, and front frame covers have been finish painted and polished and picked up from painter, Detroit Deluxe!

Front and Rear fenders have been final-fit and mounted permanently on the body. Fenders and running boards have been aligned and leveled - with Kissel Kars, when you look from the edge of the front or rear fenders along the edge of the car, the rear fender, running board edge, and front fender edges should form a perfect straight line. Sounds easy, but with mandrel formed fenders and dozens of slotted holes, this took almost a day. Everything was pre-fit, warped, and drilled over the summer before painting, so it all fit very well.

Monday we start final assembly of the powerful Kissel 6-38 engine. This engine will be complete and painted and ready to mount this month. All finally coming together! 

IMG_4922[31726].JPG

IMG_4919[31728].JPG

IMG_4920[31730].JPG

IMG_4912[30474].JPG

• Like 5

All - 

Engine is together. Now the trimmings! All original pistons, pins, springs fit great and this whole monstrosity can be turned by hand (very tight) even after we torqued all the bolts on the rods and the mains. Found a leak in the oiling system after assembly and balancing, but was able to replace the original copper main oil line with modern hose material. crushed a couple fingertips while doing (OUCH!).

Also getting glass rear window sealed in and readying glass slides in wood hardtop which is temporarily mounted, for actual glass windows.

Soon! Ron Hausmann P.E. 

IMG_4932[31786].JPG

IMG_0002[31814].jpg

IMG_0003[31808].jpg

IMG_0004[31810].jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

All -

As of October 1, 2018, all of the body panels and hood are painted and test mounted. Everything seems to be fine! Painting by Detroit Deluxe of body panels was very high quality.

Now finishing engine and mounting stuff like brass trim, windows, windshield, and hood jewelry.

Next step and pictures will be engine mounting.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

594C49A2-8A8A-4F9B-987D-1135CE8ED033.jpeg

82D931BE-EEED-4392-B41E-76ADCE6F621F.jpeg

8A5F5E0D-EAAC-4E35-A8BD-5A2267D764C4.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

All - applying “jewelry” to car.

After three years searching, I found a Kissel right side door latching cam mechanism in the wreck that I bought in Montana. These latches operate both the door and a push rod  to latch the upper halves. Works very smoothly now. Part was impossible to find.

Put on the headlight brackets and mounted the original tail light.

Mounted front bumper brackets and trimmed front apron to fit.

Picked up hood but will not mount it until last. In Kissel 6-38 models, the radiator is braced off of the top of the engine, not by a rod over the engine bay as in other cars.

engine should be in this month.

Thanks, 

Ron Hausmann P.E.

11B64BD0-A40D-4FAE-8775-6374D330EE06.jpeg

21593E8D-304C-4ACD-96CC-AB2AEC7FF582.jpeg

08402814-58A3-46E8-9B69-3F19278DDB3C.jpeg

BE9BBB91-FB7A-4A16-91E4-BDA7BD4A9F65.jpeg

EEF9D1FD-686C-4FDD-8339-BDC600BE9D87.jpeg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Mike Macartney said:

I have being following your restoration on this Kissel with interest. The work you are doing is fantastic. I have one question. The tires I see are the same tread pattern as on my 1903 Crestmobile. Where are they available from? Mike 

Mike - the tires are Firestone “non skid” tires. They are available in many sizes thru Coker, Universal, and others. They come in black and white. Don’t get white as I did - the whites pores suck up microscopic debris when you inflate them and you are stuck with the rusty air color you see it n the pictures. The spares are the same exact set but were never fully inflated and you can see the difference. I bought blackwalls (not pictured) and have a set of tan wire wheels shown in earlier posts in this thread which I will mount soon. Wire wheels were an up-option on this model Kissel anyway.

thanks, Ron 

All -

As of October 18, 2018, the Kissel engine is assembled and will be painted. After that, we will put on the carb and trimmings and test run it.

We also have completed the chassis, tail light, and headlight wiring and that's ready to be connected once the engine is in. 

Spent the last week tediously "upholstering" the interiors of the window channels and tops and sides with 1/4" rubber and felt strips. These Kissels didn't have regular window channels but were trimmed by hand with cut materials then glued on. 

Also have created interior window garnish trim mouldings. These carved-in-oak strips mount around the interiors of the window frames to hold the windows in their openings, as part of the Kissel "All Year Top" mechanisms. A lot of carving work. These Kissel windows are removeable and slide up and down in the doors with belts.

Also picked up and assembled the three-piece articulated windshield that Kissel used on this model, and put into the hard top. Happily, it fit perfectly in the oak frames.

IMG_0101[32142].jpg

IMG_0027[31884].jpg

IMG_0029[31897].jpg

IMG_0095[32120].jpg

IMG_0024[31871].jpg

Amazing restoration !  That cam gear is massive. Looks like something I would expect to see in a decent sized Diesel engine. Kissel certainly did not skimp, I assume the generator drives from the forward section of the cam gear which would be un-effected by any wear in the mesh of the crank gear. 

Greg in Canada