Pontiac Grand Am (El Camino)

D Yaros

Recently, at the CEMA (Chrysler Employees Motorsports Association) show in Auburn Hills, MI there was a guy displaying what he claimed to be a 1-of-1 197? Pontiac Gran Am (El Camino). Here is a pic of the vehicle -

post-49449-143142020542_thumb.jpg

I asked what documentation he had to support this claim. His response was, "PHS was aware of the car," whatever that means?

Has anyone heard of this vehicle? Is it in fact a Pontiac creation? Is it 1-of-1?

Any info is appreciated.

pontiac made their first el camino prototype in 1959, the one pictured above was built by pontiac in 1979, and later a 1980 front clip was installed. and yes, pontiac historical services can verify that this was built by pontiac. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

Would not PHS provide some written documentation of the authenticity and rarity? I presume such must be requested, and purchased? What would such documentation cost?

If I had a 1-of-1 I sure would want documentation of that fact, which I would proudly display. The diversity of cars, owners and priorities is what make this hobby so interesting!

Be forewarned . . . "rarity" does NOT necessarily equate to "more valuable" . . . unless you're that 1-in-a-jillion person who just has to have it. THEN the price can get higher, kind of like the bidding war for the Gold Oldsmobile "Corvette" concept car a few years at B-J.

The vehicle would NOT have been assembly line produced, but was probably done in an off-site custom shop. Grafting a Pontiac LeMans header panel onto an ElCamino/GMC vehicle front clip, then making a hood to fit the header panel contours, provided they couldn't modify the LeMans hood to fit (which it might well have done anyway).

I don't guess anybody checked to see what the last 8 digits of the VIN might have been? Or the full VIN, which should be quite informative for a 1-of-1 vehicle!

A friend found and purchased a '79 GMC Diablo (El Camino sibling) on a used car lot in the earlier 1980s. It was black with "Trans-Am" style stripes and hood scoop. It looked pretty neat, but it was just a normal vehicle other than that. A nice one, but a "normal one". Seems there was a group in OKC that did those pickups and did a limited run of them. Possibly a Pontiac dealer "local market group" had them done . . . we never could find out.

A nice looking car-truck, but don't expect it to be worth its weight in gold on "rarity" alone. Might make a good museum vehicle!

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

As for the 1959 "prototype", I've seen one in person. Red in color. Belonged to one of the Pate Museum heirs that lives close to us. I'd never heard of it, but I looked at it in person, even touching it to ensure it was real. Kind of cobbled-up in a few places . . . which assemblly line production would have smooothed out, I suspect. Looked kind of neat, BUT a little out-of-character for Pontiacs of that era. Full Pontiac drive train, too.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

now bleach, that was alittle harsh of you, dare I mention fix or repair daily, f-o-r-d. ?

Perhaps but that was only meant for this particular vehicle. Pontiac did build some very impressive cars in the past.

BTW, F O R D can also mean "F***ed On a Real Deal". I know, I've had some that really fit that but not anymore.

Pontiac did build some very impressive cars in the past.

That statement could be applied to almost any automobile manufacturer, could it not?

I suspect we might all also agree that the late 70's and the 80's were not auto manufacturers finest hours?

That statement could be applied to almost any automobile manufacturer, could it not?

I suspect we might all also agree that the late 70's and the 80's were not auto manufacturers finest hours?

I would agree to expand that from about the early 70's to the present.

• 4 years later...
Guest Monte bob

The chevelle elcamino and pontiac grand am had the same basic body lines, so all needed to be done, mount front end, possibly doors and use elcamino  door windows, wouldn't be that big a deal