65 Rive Wood Grain Trim Patterns

Crazy4cruz

I am looking for a set of patterns for the interior wood trim for my 65 Riviera. The interior is basic, no frills. The wood grain has been removed from mine and I am going to replace with a different material. I figured if there was/is a set of patterns out there somewhere, it would make my fabrication/install go much smoother. I can certainly create a pattern for each piece but figured I couldn't be the only person to want to do this, so why not ask instead of starting from scratch, right? ;)

Thanks for any help you can offer.

The only templates that probably exist belong to the vendors who make the kits. I'm guessing that you're going to wind up making your own templates or just cutting your material to fit. Not many folks put materials, unless someone's doing a custom, other than the stock wood veneer or the black pebble grained vinyl (all 63's and 64's with std. interior.) Making templates or just cutting the material shouldn't be difficult, the 65 has all straight edges to each piece. The bigger problem will be getting the holes correct for the screws that hold the shifter section to the console.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Guest atomickneedrop

I am installing a wood trim kit from Cars. I could trace the inserts for you if you like. I am still waiting for the door material but it will be here by the end of next week. PMail me your address and I will send you a traced pattern when it is all here.

Kraig

The person I purchased my 65 from was making it into a mild custom but had to let it go. They had removed the wood grain and replaced with a black/kelly green metal flake marble pattern plastic. Not quite my cup of tea. I've removed the glittery marble plastic and actually prefer the look of the black pebble grained vinyl, which is what I will be installing. The car is black exterior with black/dark green interior so I think the black vinyl will look much better than the wood veneer. Since the 63/64 used the vinyl could I purchase a 63/64 kit and use that or are there significant differences?

The shifter console and diddy box covers are totally different. The only piece that requires any thing other than straight edge cuts is the shifter piece. Get some fairly heavy (not cardboard, more like construction paper) hold it over the pieces you want to cover, and use your finger to press the paper against the ridges in the console parts. Wah-lah! Instant template. Restoration basics 101. Cut them out, test fit, and trim as necessary. You mainly just want to identify the corners then use a straight edge to draw the line / make the cut.

Ed

RivNut, thanks for the tips. In hindsight had I held onto the green shiny plastic that I took off I would have pre-cut hard plastic templates all ready. But in my haste to rid myself of black and green metal flake marbled plastic trim pieces I chucked them suckers in the trash.

Hey Steve, thanks for offering to throw yourself on that sword for me, but I think the grille is good right where it's at. There were two things I was looking for when I went hunting for my 65. It had to be black and it had to be lowered. The good lord must have been looking out for me because I found a black 65 that was lowered less than 2 hours from my home. The billet grille, custom interior, and 400 watt pioneer sound were all icing on the cake. While we're talking though, I'd be happy to take that C10 off your hands. ;)

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I got my patterns ... a BIG thanks to Kraig for tracing his and sending them my way. Now my next question is ... Does anyone know of a source for the pebble grain black vinyl? I checked with Clark's Corvair and they say they haven't been able to find a source for it. Probably not a good sign. Since I'm installing it in a 65 it obviously doesn't have to be a factory match since 65's didn't have the vinyl on the console, but a close match would be nice.

I checked with Clark's Corvair and they say they haven't been able to find a source for it.

Bad information here. I just talked to Sharon at Clark's and they do have the black pebble grain vinyl console kits for the '63. I went as far as advising her that the '64 standard interior also had pebble grain vinyl on the console.

The situation is probably this. They do not make the kits. They purchase them from a sub-contractor. They don't have information on suppliers of raw materials for things they don't make themselves. The sub-contractor has not advised them that there is no material available. So, you guys wanting to put new black pebble grain vinyl on your '63's still have a source! Clarks.

When reporting your findings please make sure that you're 100% accurate in what you're reporting. Misleading information, even though it's meant in good faith, can hinder the restoration of someone's car and could cause the supplier to have to give up production if no one orders anything thinking it's no longer available. Thanks,

Ed

My apologies ... What I was referring to is the following ... Clark's does make the vinyl kits for the 63's .. I had asked Clark's if they were able to make a 65 kit in the black vinyl, they said no ... I asked if they sold the vinyl itself or knew where i might be able to purchase it and their response was as I posted originally.

Richard,

You might be able to get Clarks to reveal their supplier and contact them to see if they could make you the vinyl pieces for your '65 but I doubt if they'd reveal their source (can you blame them?)

Try making your own from the camera vinyl link that I posted earlier.

Ed

Send me a PM with what you think a kit would be worth, I've got some pebble grained vinyl that is 11 7/8" wide and some '65 console parts. Make it worth my while. :)

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

OK, so I was able to locate some black vinyl that I think will look very nice in my 65. Amazing what you can find in a flat fold bin at your local fabric store. Anyway, now my question turns to adhesives and what best ones to use. I'm reading online that spray can adhesives wont hold up to the heat inside a car but 3M, DAP, and SprayWay to name a few all make high heat spray adhesives. I don't necessarily want to run out and buy an air gun just to redo some interior trim pieces but I don't want my vinyl peeling off in the heat either. Thoughts? Experiences?

• 7 months later...
Looks really good. I like it. It seems to stand out better than the wood veneers.

I love the look. With the outside of the car being black it adds just the right amount of black inside to offset the green. I will definitely have to take another shot at it though. I'm way too much of a perfectionist and there are several minor issues where my cutting skills were less than optimal. That's what I get for trying to cut all of these pieces with a box cutter. :P

• 3 years later...

In reply to the old post above, it's kinda funny because I found a picture of that green interior with pearloid inserts a while back on a google image search. It's exactly what I'm wanting to do. I want to go with an imitation black or purple pearloid, much like what's used on accordions and guitar scratch plates.

black pearl insert.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guest decotriumph

I'm in the process of building a custom '64 Riviera and I was thinking about using pearl drum wrap in place of the leatherette/wood. I'm not sure what adhesive to use, though. Drums aren't usually exposed to the temperature extremes that a car's interior would be. I'm considering buying one of Scanlan's leatherette kits and using it as the pattern to cut the custom material.

Edited by decotriumph (see edit history)

6 hours ago, decotriumph said:

I'm in the process of building a custom '64 Riviera and I was thinking about using pearl drum wrap in place of the leatherette/wood. I'm not sure what adhesive to use, though. Drums aren't usually exposed to the temperature extremes that a car's interior would be. I'm considering buying one of Scanlan's leatherette kits and using it as the pattern to cut the custom material.

A lot of wraps come with adhesive on them, and it appears to be really strong. I've read that some "home" use adhesives can hold extremely well, stuff like DAP "weldwood" and Barge "All Purpose" cement. DAP "Landau top and trim" glue is used by professionals to glue vinyl roofs on and is supposed to be the best, although it seems to be only available in gallon buckets. Interior guys use it to hold headliners in place too.

My 64 had tin plates glued under the vinyl inserts that I'm going to use as templates. Yours didn't have anything like that? I guessed all of them did, not sure where mine came from.

I'm back to wanting to go to wood inserts again. I really like the look of figured "Sunburst" veneers, like what's popular on high end guitars. From what I've read veneers are difficult to work with, so it's going to be a long term project.

purplesunburst.jpg