1952 Buick Super Straight 8 - Know nothing and just getting started!

Dale's Buick

Dale,

I'm using the the theory of short trips, starting, driving and checking fluids (after being off the road for sooo long for mine) will determine if I'm crazy enough to attempt a 10 hour trip to the Nationals this year....

In the meantime, having a ball capturing the experience again! 

Go For IT! :)

Every time I ask a question lately, I think "this one is the dumbest one....."   However, I don't know how I could top today's mystery...lol.   Beulah is ready to take her first drive about, but I've been running the engine with the air cleaner off and the carburetor exposed.   When I reassemble the wire filter inside the housing, it won't fit flush when I put the pieces together.  It's been 2 years since I took it apart to paint it, and I literally can't remember if this is normal, or I'm just dumber than a bag of hammers?  (not exclusive on that one).  There's only two ways to put it together, and neither fits.....so that's how it's supposed to be?   If anybody can quit laughing long enough....help!   Thanks friends!

Dale in Kentucky

• Like 1

OK it's confirmed....the "dumber than a bag of hammers" won out.  I had taken before pictures, and sure enough, it doesn't sit flush....and I can't keep blaming my dumbness on the chemo after a year and a half...lol.   Thanks for the patience friends....pictures to come soon!

Dale

• Like 1

On 2017-6-13 at 1:43 PM, Dale's Buick said:

Taking my honey out for a ride in Beulah! 

IMG_1922.MOV

I recognise that smile on your face! :D

Now, wasn't getting here half the fun and worth this moment?B)

(And shared with your wife no less)

Enjoy the rides.

• 1 month later...

Other than figuring out how to get side mirrors to line up, the last step before done for awhile was getting the oil bath air filter to work.   Talked to a half dozen local folks, and none knew much about them, so figured I'd hunt for a paper filter, as that's better than driving around with an open carb!    Here is the brand that fit my 1952 Buick Super....and it fits like a glove!   Will drive her this weekend and post the results!   Purolator Classic A30057. 

Dale in Kentucky

Oil Bath Air Filter Changeover.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

The one thing I always enjoy about this forum is seeing the actual cars, and which directions the restorations went.  I've posted some of the following in the past, but now that I'm able to drive with little fear of waiting for the two truck, I thought I'd just put in some before and after pictures.  Not prideful, but crazy happy it's a lot cleaner and safer!!!! lol.   Thanks everyone for all of the huge help you guys (my mentors!) have given me over the last several years.  I'm not gone, but not sure if I have another car in me...lol. 

Here is Part I

IMG_0055.JPG.92854a0cff45e062e8adcb9cb637b70b.JPGDale in Kentucky 

IMG_0057.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0363.JPG

IMG_0369.JPG

IMG_0374.JPG

IMG_0435.JPG

IMG_0438.JPG

IMG_0439.JPG

IMG_0455.JPG

IMG_0457.JPG

Nice progress, Dale! The before pictures puts all the hard work, and money into context. Now you can continue to enjoy your car! This is one of the neatest things about the forum, you can post questions, usually get your answer, and for the rest of us it is so nice to see someone making progress on their car. It helps to give the rest of us inspiration to keep going. As you've found, old cars are frustrating, expensive, and not always a straight line from start to finish. Ultimately rewarding though.

Don't forget about us here though, post something from time to time.

Keith

• Like 2

Thank you my friend!  We hosted a block party last night, with maybe 120 people there.  We put Beulah at the top of the driveway with the hood up....never saw so many men go crazy at one time....lol.  Got half dozen car guys in that group, and they had more stories to tell than I could imagine.  I'm starting to get it why we all enjoy comparing notes, and talking over our projects!   I won't disappear, and will keep following everyone's progress!   Thank you sir!

Dale in Kentucky

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

Hello friends!  I've been MIA for almost 2 years, recovering from illness and traveling/babysitting grandbabies....lol.  I have finished (as far as I am going) on Beaulah, and will post some pictures of her as she is now.  Sadly, I have agreed with my wife to find a new home for the old gal.  I plan one more short road trip, but will be listing her in Hemingway's and Antique Auto shortly I think.   I don't care about making a profit, but any suggestions as to her value?  I've seen others from $6,000 for a rust pile to $65,000 for my same car with a shiny paint job.  (You can paint them over and over, but only have original patina one time....so there she stays!).  Any suggestions or ideas?   Also, I will probably list her in here in cars for sale-and at a bit of a discount to what I end up setting for friends here.  Also, my email if you have any interest is:    DaleAHancock7@gmail.com     I will look in here for suggestions or price help though.   Thanks all, and back soon!

Dale

• 1 month later...