Any info on Dodge Brothers screen side appreciated new owner

Guest Binky

Guest Binky

I recently purchased a..I was told 1922 DB Screen Side Commercial Car. Engine block is stamped 7-14-1920 engine number is 561190. Where is the body or frame number located? Can someone explain best way to adjust the spark..? Thank you so much if you can help me understand what I have here

post-94887-143141976558_thumb.jpg

post-94887-143141976571_thumb.jpg

Edited by Binky
more photos added (see edit history)

Guest 1930

Hello Binky, your serial number will be located on crossmember located under seat right side. It was done this way until D.B dropped the 3/4 elliptic spring or so in which case it was moved to the R side of frame under R front fender near the rear shackle of front spring.

Great looking truck

Guest Binky

Thanks ! Can you tell by the pics what year you think it is? I was told 1922..they are still looking for the title. I didn't think an engine cast in 1920 would be in a 1922... any thoughts

Nice looking truck. You really need to find the serial number to be sure, the title should have it. The radiator/hood looks too tall in relationship to headlights to be either '20-'22, looks more like '23 or '24. But the rest of the features look right for pre '23. Is there wires to the top of the driver's door where the horn button should be?

the engine is earlier than the body of the truck. The fan mount should be on the head rather than the block. The front fenders appear to be earlier than 1922. The builder of the truck may have taken the best parts of two or more vehicles to build it.

A very nice truck Binky! Looks like someone spent a lot of time and work fitting all new wood, and a good job at that. The serial # has to be found to be sure of what year the truck is. It does look very correct to me, as far as an older restoration goes. Most of these old trucks were worked to death and I'm surprised any of them are left today. You're lucky you have a spare vacuum tank laying in the back. It is period correct Stewart tank. The coil has been by-passed with a newer one on firewall, not uncommon to see this. I would replace that coil-to dist. wire SOON. Hopefully you have the crank hole cover. I see it is off in your picture, probably using the crank at the time. Don't leave the cover off, as the whole interior of the crankcase is open to mouse-houses and who knows what, to get into your engine's lower end. What are your plans on "fixin' her up"? Windex and a rag is all I would do for "cosmetics"!!! Very cool truck.

Guest 1930
Thanks ! Can you tell by the pics what year you think it is? I was told 1922..they are still looking for the title. I didn't think an engine cast in 1920 would be in a 1922... any thoughts

Lie was said you really need that number and remember that is only the chassis number, it does not mean everything else will correspond with that number, either way great find

The screen side is a neat truck, and I like the early DB vehicles, having owned 4 of them (pre 1925) during my early old car years...

A general comment, be careful when the sellers are " looking for title"... It can mean the vehicle is in an " estate debate" or other ownership issues...

Good luck with your new car!

Guest Binky

Thanks everyone. I have the starting crank and was using it to slowly turn it over and make sure everything turned. I don't think there is a cover. I did get it running and the exhaust manifold is broke near the threaded down turn so I called Myers and should be getting the new manifold, gaskets, 4' pipe. rope gasket and nut to get that correct. The owner died at 91 and I bought there Model A pickup a couple weeks ago. That did have a title. The son is in hid 70's..I may nit get one for this so I wanted the SN for a bill of sale so WI can get me a title. I did look all over that cross member. To me the front of the seat box sits on top of that cross member and has a small angle iron that attaches it to the cross member. I removed the seat cushion and looked down inside..crawled under and can see any sign of anything. The old fella also has a touring car that he thinks is the same year. I would like to buy it as well. But I am flat broke from these 2.

the engine is earlier than the body of the truck. The fan mount should be on the head rather than the block. The front fenders appear to be earlier than 1922. The builder of the truck may have taken the best parts of two or more vehicles to build it.

Beautiful recognition to say the least Bob very good eye. Still,,,, an incredible find Binky CONGRATS !

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Nice looking truck. You really need to find the serial number to be sure, the title should have it.

While the title may have the engine/serial number don't bet the farm the year is correct.

I recently purchased a '25 DB Model B Sedan but the title says it's a 1927 model........so the state of Wisconsin says it's a 1927.......who am I to argue with a good title?....... :D

Guest Binky

I guess I am going to be titleless ,they found the one for the touring car but not this one. I will try with a bill of sale ..I cant find the frame number anywhere on that cross member

Guest 1930
I guess I am going to be titleless ,they found the one for the touring car but not this one. I will try with a bill of sale ..I cant find the frame number anywhere on that cross member

Post a picture of where you are looking exactly on the crossmember, maybe the frame is a bit later in which case as I mentioned it will be just above the front spring rear shackle, its there, just might be faint.

• 6 months later...
Guest Power Wagon Guy

"Fellow Screen Side Owner"

I found all of the discussion on the AACA Forum about your Screen Side, I have a 1923 and yours

(curved cowl above dash board looks real similar). The restoration was finished in 2002 - I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

If you are interested - I have a 'spare' 1922 / 23 California "Pink Slip" (Title) that I would be interested in Selling.

If you still looking for a clear "Title" maybe this would help?

Keep-on-Dodgin'

Donn Marinovich

Columbia, California

(209) 533-3663 (Wk)

dcmmld@wildblue.net

Titles in WI for these early vehicles (pre mid 1960's) were issued showing the vehicle's "year" as the year the vehicle was first sold. So if a vehicle was built in say mid 1922 but was not first sold until like March of 1923, the WI title will show the vehicle to be a 1923.

WI also used "Engine Numbers" for titling purposes until the mid 1960's. That is just the way statute law is in WI.

The Bill of Sale, with all descriptive numbers that you can find on the vehicle (one of which MUST be the current engine block number) should get you a Title in WI. The State's "Special Plates Section" will be the place with the most info on how to do all this. (They are much more qualified to handle these early vehicle registrations than a local DOT Registration Counter Site.) During part of this process the vehicle's numbers will need to be inspected by a State Vehicle Inspector (State Patrol) or certain Officers in local departments properly trained by the State Patrol. The more documentation you can get the better. If there is an old Registration paper from the earlier owner, or maybe some bank papers showing a loan payment on the vehicle in the past, possibly some garage receipts for repairs done in the distant past, or any such documents, you will be better off. The inspectors are trying to be satisfied that the vehicle is not listed as stolen and that the person selling it has the right to sell.

Eventually you will get a title. Then, if you have the "Serial Number" (not the "Engine Number"), you may have some luck with The Chrysler Historical Collection getting a copy of the vehicle's Build Record. THAT is interesting information!

• 3 years later...
Guest Griggsy

Hi:

I may be way too late with this post; but Id like to help by telling you that the serial number is indeed on the chassis.  It's on the TOP of the cross member under the box of the pickup.  You won't get to it without lifting the box.  And then, hope for the best.  We have a '22 DB commercial car also, and the S/N is a very, very, faint stamping, but discernible.  Your DB commercial car looks to be a lot different from ours--more modern, let's say.  We got ours (in 1987--in pieces) without a title, too; but for some reason, the seller had written the engine number and S/N on the bill of sale.  I don't know how they had that data without a title, but they still furnished us with the correct numbers.