56 Special 4 door (couldn't pass up cause price was right)

Guest Rob McDonald

Music to my ears! There's something so distinctive about the sound of a nailhead. Mind you, I kept hoping I'd hear that one really noisy lifter quiet down. I was mentally urging some oil to find its way up there. Even that anticipation is familiar, to those of us who've become fond of these big green machines.

"go home and surprise the wifey"

Uh-oh. Don't be surprised if she expresses something other than surprise. She's probably noticed how much time you're spending in the shop, getting another Buick ready for paint. Spouses have this odd notion that we can only concentrate on one project at a time. Granted, picking up a list of groceries AND the dry cleaning in a single trip might be more than some of us can handle but multiple car projects? No problem. And we still make time for skimming Hemmings and cruising Bringatrailer.com, just in case another old beauty needs to find a spot in the shop.

Well, the tank was gonna cost more to fix than replace, so I ordered a new one. Should be here Tuesday or so. I might try to bleed out the brakes tomorrow. I need to get the shop vac to work so I can clean the rugs. They'll be changed out later, but all I have for now. I cannot wait to get these last few bugs out of the way so I can drive her home and show her off!

New master cylinder ordered from Kanter. Be here Tuesday or Wednesday??? Meanwhile, Monday I will pump out the gas tank and clean it and seal it. I think the pickup might be bad or I may have a hole in the line somewhere. The tank has to have about 1/2 tank of old stuff, but the electric pump won't pull anything. Needs to be dropped and cleaned anyways to be safe. Runs nice on a gas can though. I have a small drip when it rains inside the car. I think its the windshield seal, thus the cloudy windshield. I'll have to pull the stainless and check the seal condition, possibly seal it with some chewing gum or something! hehe.

Fathers day car show tomorrow, so I won't be working on anything tomorrow. Just driving one of my friends babies. Happy Fathers Day to all my good friends on here! Matt

Well now, where to start? Cancelled order for master cylinder with Kanter. They had none in stock and wanted me to send my core for rebuild. Was still gonna be 3 weeks by the time i sent it, to when I got it back. So, i took it apart, cleaned it up, replaced the boot and the brake switch and now have very nice brakes.

The gas tank had been epoxied at the seam previously, so I ordered a new one from Bobs. Should be at the house tomorrow. I'll put it in and fill with gas Friday.

Changed out one headlight that wasn't working. Now i have to concentrate on the wipers. PO took all the hoses loose and I don't have my shop manual yet. Anyone that can send me a picture of the pages in the manual?

Rugs are finally vacuumed out and i cleaned the interior a bit.

She finally has her registration done and she looks nice with her new plates.

Matt

Music to my ears! There's something so distinctive about the sound of a nailhead. Mind you, I kept hoping I'd hear that one really noisy lifter quiet down. I was mentally urging some oil to find its way up there. Even that anticipation is familiar, to those of us who've become fond of these big green machines.

"go home and surprise the wifey"

Uh-oh. Don't be surprised if she expresses something other than surprise. She's probably noticed how much time you're spending in the shop, getting another Buick ready for paint. Spouses have this odd notion that we can only concentrate on one project at a time. Granted, picking up a list of groceries AND the dry cleaning in a single trip might be more than some of us can handle but multiple car projects? No problem. And we still make time for skimming Hemmings and cruising Bringatrailer.com, just in case another old beauty needs to find a spot in the shop.

Rob

She did quiet down that lifter after some MMO.

After cleaning carburetor, adding some Marvel Mystery Oil - YouTube

Guest Rob McDonald
She did quiet down

By "she" you mean the engine, right? "She" the wifey might give you the quiet treatment for some time, after you surprise her with this purchase. Or, she might just love it!

Guest eb3bzk

Hi,

I like your new car Matt!! Congratulations.

I found a 1958 Riviera 4 door, but the car was cut, missed parts and engine and gearbox were not originals ...

I like this! good luck with your restoration.

Here is a picture of the old "gas" tank and the new one that I ordered from Bobs Automobilia. It drop shipped from Tanks Inc. Nicely boxed and very nice! Same size and when ordering, they ask you for a measurement on the location of the fill hole on the side. There are three different tank measurements that it possibly have. They also send a rubber coupling and the neck. Bobs sent me two hose clamps. The tank came with a new sending unit rubber gasket and new o-ring seal bolts. Tank is back under car and she runs off of her own tank now. I drove her around a little bit at the factory today, testing out the brakes, etc. Next up.........tires and new plugs and wires. Matt

post-72076-143141974591_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143141974583_thumb.jpg

Hi Matt!

Happy for you anniversary... I'm about to celebrate our 8th wedding anniversary on October. No complaints at this moment.

About the fuel tank, is it ready to install? are you going to paint it black or it's already done in aluminum color?

I have one more bulb on the front turn signals to change out. Bought a new one on the way home tonight. Will change it tomorrow. I also hooked the original fuel pump up and she runs better with the original than with the electric one. I will leave the electric one there, just in case I have a problem. I will still have to address the radio and the speedo jumps a lot. Clock doesn't work either. All repairable. Matt

Ok, so no tires yet. Still trying to figure out what I want. I did manage to drive the car home yesterday! Yippeee! I changed out the plugs and wires and it runs a little better now. I still need to check the timing out and some other odds and ends. I cleaned up and polished some more. I also touched up some of the white with a rattle can. Cleaned on the interior a bit more and checked the car over generally speaking. I need to order some sway bar bushings and rebuild kits for the ends. I also was curious about where to find wiper arm replacements. I was able to order these from Advance Auto Parts. They look "period" but not correct! So I changed the rubber out from these to my old, correct blades. So there are some available for those that want. Part # 33-122 (Trico). I think she looks a lot better now.

post-72076-143141994513_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143141994497_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143141994506_thumb.jpg

Guest Rob McDonald

I've had many similar experiences, wifey not believing what I paid for it, but she's usually astounded on the high side. Not so much purchase price, as what it costs to make an old beauty roadworthy. Going through that again right now.

Slant Sixin' in Seattle,

Still finding issues that bother me with the car. Mile and Willie, thanks for the phone help. It was nice talking with both of you tonight. I just bought the 56 shop manual, so when I get it, I should be able to finish this up, or I hope so. I'm itching to get her out and drive her. I'm waiting to finish up this stuff to have the tires mounted. I reconstructed the drivers rear shock mount and it is back on the car. Waiting on sway bar bushings and the shop manual. Matt

I now have a washer bottle setup, thanks to Mike (buick5563). I drained the tranny and am going to pull the pan to give a looksee! The tranny was over-full. Reverse was slipping really bad and I hope that this is something that I can fix without having to pull the tranny. I hope that being too full might have had something to do with this. It was working before I brought it home and while on "flat" surface. But my driveway is a little slanted and it won't back out of it. !@#$!#$%$%^%^& Matt

Pulled the pan and cleaned the 'gunk' out of it. The fluid was really brown looking, maybe from sitting so long. It smelled weird also. I have the pan back on and will fill with new fluid tomorrow. I haven't got my shop manual in the mail yet, so anyone that can tell me what fluid and how much of it in the dynaflow? Thanks Matt

Ok, so here's the jist of it. Shop manual says bands cannot be adjusted with tranny in the car. Backyard mechanic would cut holes in the floorboard to reach access points on top of tranny. I read and re-read manual and figured out that by dropping the pan and taking off the valve body, the band adjustments are literally "hanging" out of the tranny. I adjusted a little on the "reverse" band, cleaned the valve body out and checked all of the seals and surfaces. There was also some "gunk" in the piston assemblies that work the bands. After draining all of the fluid from the torque converter and all of these steps, the tranny took almost all of the 10.5 qts that the shop manual said it would. After filling the tranny back up, I have reverse, although it doesn't seem strong yet. So, I think I will drain again and adjust the band a little more.

I know that the tranny is going to need to have a rebuild soon, but I want to drive a little bit this summer. I will just have to try to park where reverse isn't necessary or that I'm backing down or on a flat surface.

I will post more later on. Might be able to get this done this week, if not it will have to wait because vacation is calling.........Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Great news! I'm on vacation again and while flying, I was reading shop manual again. I read and re-read about the transmission reverse circuit. So, I called Jim @ Jim's Dynaflow Service this morning and talked about my findings. Looks as though I can replace the gaskets and piston seals on the servos and it should be good. Jim is great to work with and honest.

I have the car back up on ramps in the front. Tomorrow I call Jim and order the parts. When I get home from work, I'll drain the tranny again and ready the "pulling of the valve assembly" I will try to take pictures this time so everyone can see what I'm doing. Right or wrong! haha

Hopefully this works, because I've lost some time working on my 47' and need to get back on it. Matt