What scanners and diagnostics are available for OBD1 ?

TexasJohn55

I need an "inexpensive" scanner that can read, snapshot and perform diagnostics on '88-95 Oldsmobiles, specifically 3800 engines. I have a laptop if that helps. Would prefer something that will work on OBD2 also. I would like to be able to cut out injectors and such. Having watched activity on this forum, I know you guys can help me here. Thanks, TexasJohn

Not sure there is anything reasonably priced to do this. Snap on made some high end scan tools that might work, but your best bet would be a GM/Vetronix Tech1 or Tech1A with the correct powertrain module. These can be had on ebay if you are willing to wait for a deal to come by (may take a while).

Hopefully someone else here has a better suggestion. I know most laptop software is geared only towards reading codes and parameters, not for doing overrides.

KDirk

Guest Mc_Reatta

I recently asked my FLAPS if they had a scanner that would read OBD1 systems and came away with a big 0.

I agree with KDirk's suggestion to search on eBay and maybe Craig's List. You will most likely have to get a different system for each. Getting software based systems for your laptop would at least keep you from duplicating a lot of hardware and probably give you what you want at a lesser cost.

Guest Corvanti

the only thing i've found to work on some OBD1 codes (other than my Reatta) is one of these "keys" or a wire, like a u-bent large paper clip to read the "check engine" flashes. depends on how far apart the wires are. you can usually find out the procedure and which wires to hit on the vehicle's 'puter from online sources, and what the codes (flashes) mean. that's without trying to find a old machine that may work...

sorry i couldn't help more.:(

post-73703-143141910608_thumb.jpg

Edited by Corvanti (see edit history)

Corvanti, Thanks, I have done that, usually a bulb type test light will create a sufficient ground circuit to cycle diagnostics.

63 viking, Good, I will look into that as well. I'm assuming that it will monitor only, no interactive diagnostics? TexasJohn

FWIW, I think the TECH 1/1A tool could be fitted with some OBD2 support at the tail end of it's service life (at dealerships) before the TECH 2 became the GM dealer diagnostic tool of choice. Believe a mass-storage cartridge was needed and could be loaded with vehicle profiles including -some- OBD2 capability. Likewise, the TECH 2 could be loaded with OBDI support for at least some vehicles (not sure how far back it went) but you pretty well had to be a dealer to get this as it required subscription and access to a computer to download the software. Bottom line, that was for them, not "us".

I'd love a TECH 1A to do work on my three cars which are all OBDI, and could be covered with a minimum of different modules. Maybe one of these days...

KDirk

Any more I just use a netbook or tablet for everything, don't think I've needed an OTC for some time (leaking freeze plug or steering rack do not set codes).

OBD-II is nice because is is a standard for all which has led to a number of inexpensive PC based tools. My favorite portable is OBDWiz with a USB connection for under $25 but since I just have one such vehicle at the moment I just leave a Bluetooth dongle in place and use an Android Tablet with Torque ($5). Also serves as music and sat-nav device.

I have used an Auto X-ray 35000 model, OBD I and II (it has a bunch of different connectors), for both foreign and domestic, but it doesn't do overides. It also suffers from connectivity issues when doing a recording from the interference from the BCM. It does work well once it connects but may take several tries. It will make the IPC act oddly when recording. I now use TunerPro RT (free program) and a laptop. Homemade ALDL cable from internet instructions. The special file for my 1990 was developed for me and has a command to shut off the ECM-BCM communication for clean recording. Will not work for cars with the touchscreen. Can also be used to develop your own chip programming, but I'm not using that function..

Gee, you guys are great! I'm taking notes and looking into these suggestions. Have already looked at Moates and ScannerProRT. Moates kit; interface and 2 cables to fit OBD1 and 2 is $80.00. ScannerProRT is $39.00. Haven't searched Ebay for other scanners mentioned yet. Thanks!

Try this and see if it works. With the car turned on and the touch screen on the climate control page. Press and hold the OFF & WARM buttons at the same time and see what happens. I think the data list will come up that you can scroll through...............Also look here. http://reattaowner.com/roj/repair-information/computer-diagnostic-codes/computer-diagnostic-instructions-19881989#pg-1

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)