HowTo: Remove a door, handles, and glass.. 1937 Sedan

GarageStudios

Team,

2 part question...

1) How do you remove the door handles that have no screws, both interior and exterior. The OEM manual I have for the car is not that clear :( , do they "pop" off....

2) Should I remove the door with the window, then while door is off, remove the inside panels? Or, remove the panels, hope the glass doesn't fall out, remove glass, then remove door?

Thanks in advance,

post-74294-143141872905_thumb.jpg

post-74294-14314187292_thumb.jpg

Guest Bob Call

The interior handles have clips behind the round escutcheon<o:p></o:p> that hold the handles to the shaft of the window regulator or door latch. You can buy the special tool to remove and install the clips at any good parts store. If you are careful you can remove the clips with a slim screwdrive. Best to spend a few buck and get the tool.

After you remove the interior handles you can remove the door panel. It is held by the window garnish mouldings and spring clips around the edges. Then the exterior door handle can be removed.

I think the 1937 Pontiac is like my 1937 Buick in which case the exterior door handle is held in place by a tapered screw. If that is the case remove the recessed screw that is directly below the latch in the second picture and the external handle and shaft should pull straight out. Good luck. Carl

The interior handles have clips behind the round escutcheon<o:p></o> that hold the handles to the shaft of the window regulator or door latch. You can buy the special tool to remove and install the clips at any good parts store. If you are careful you can remove the clips with a slim screwdrive. Best to spend a few buck and get the tool.

After you remove the interior handles you can remove the door panel. It is held by the window garnish mouldings and spring clips around the edges. Then the exterior door handle can be removed.

Brilliant... You guys rock!

the interior handles are secured by a small clamp in between the handle and the (new word I learned..) escutcheon...

post-74294-143141873768_thumb.jpg

Edited by CDN224 (see edit history)

I think the 1937 Pontiac is like my 1937 Buick in which case the exterior door handle is held in place by a tapered screw. If that is the case remove the recessed screw that is directly below the latch in the second picture and the external handle and shaft should pull straight out. Good luck. Carl

again, shining.... The exterior is held by that recessed screw, and can also be removed after panel is gone.. Both work..

thanks !