Our continued...slow...progress!

Brake lines are finally on the car! I even put the brake pads on the left front brake back plate!! All by myself!! hehehe We took a break from working on the car this winter so my husband could do vintage snowmobile racing. We did well, second overall in the Mod enduro class for the season! Not bad for a rookie season. But, now it is back to the car. I've been bugging him since Dec to order some parts so I could work on it, but that didn't happen! lol Next is either finishing the rear axle (which my husband is on his own with that one!) or the steering box. One of those two. And I have to finish sanding the wood of the wheels so we can get them painted & some new rubber put on! Slowly but surely we'll get her done! Shannon

post-77540-143141862427_thumb.jpg

post-77540-143141862388_thumb.jpg

post-77540-143141862409_thumb.jpg

Brake lines are finally on the car! I even put the brake pads on the left front brake back plate!! All by myself!! hehehe We took a break from working on the car this winter so my husband could do vintage snowmobile racing. We did well, second overall in the Mod enduro class for the season! Not bad for a rookie season. But, now it is back to the car. I've been bugging him since Dec to order some parts so I could work on it, but that didn't happen! lol Next is either finishing the rear axle (which my husband is on his own with that one!) or the steering box. One of those two. And I have to finish sanding the wood of the wheels so we can get them painted & some new rubber put on! Slowly but surely we'll get her done! Shannon

[ATTACH=CONFIG]189304[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]189303[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]189306[/ATTACH]

Nice job. Copper lines? My daughter has a cottage up in your area plus they run the cross country snowmobile charity run that I thinks starts at Mackinac island.

I was thinking the same thing. (illegal)?

I can not coment an any roadworthy rules other than what is in Australia, if the vehicle came with copper lines than as a restored vehicle it as accepted for road legal use (N.S.W. Road and Traffic Authority). All of the Dodge Brothers vehicles sold here in 28,29,30,31 that i have seen in original unrestored state all have copper brake lines.I have some what of a stock of these old copper lines that have been replaced with new stock copper when necessary work has had to done. In discussion with the N.S.W. RTA all there requirement is that the copper lines be fixed at no greater spacing than 5 inches and are held firm along side the frame .

regard bob.

Yes, the original brake lines on the car were copper. We debated on whether to go that route or not & my husband decided since we are restoring to original state, it seemed appropriate to use the copper lines. The lines we used are thick walled copper lines. Since my husband works in the automotive industry, he knows what's legal & what's not. We haven't finished attaching the line in the original places it was attached to the frame, but at least it is one more thing put back onto the car! lol Small steps!

countrytravler....Where's your daughter's cabin? It's always a surprise to us to talk with someone that is familiar with where we live. Are you talking the MichSkanksa ride they do across the northern portion of the US to I believe the original destination was to Alaska? Too long of a ride for me, but it is for a very good cause!

Originally there was a combination of steel, rubber and copper used on the Dodge brake systems of this era

Its amazing what I learn from my daily activity's from this forum for the last 11/2 years about the Dodges. Before the 11/2 year, I was clueless about Dodge Brothers cars. I was and still a GM guy because of my dad being a engineer at GM in Warren MI. Jason, you know the story. I have worked on cars in the Late 50s at 8 years old till present. I'm a master certified mechanic in the car and heavy duty truck field including boats. Never seen copper for a brake line. We own about 80 Dodge cars and trucks ranging in the years of 1925 to 1968. None of the old Dodge cars and trucks we have do not have copper brake lines. We learn something new every day. Micassgirl, I'll find out about the cottage and snowmobile run they do. Couple of years ago, Matt Schonsheck won something on that run. Nice talking to you and please post pictures of you car. We are really heavy into the 33 to35 Dodge trucks. Stock and hot rods. Here is a couple of pictures. Thanks,post-78906-14314186406_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143141864004_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143141864016_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143141864025_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143141864033_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143141864042_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143141864051_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143141864069_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143141864079_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143141864088_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143141864096_thumb.jpg

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

Countrytravler....an older Dodge truck is what my husband would love to have next. He keeps dreaming how cool it would be to pull up towing the car with a Dodge Power Wagon or old military Dodge truck! He drools when he sees a Deuce or Deuce 1/2!

Now my husband is working on the steering box. He thinks he found a thrush washer, so he's in the garage right now trying to put it back together & grabbing a beer! lol

Shannon

That is interesting about the copper lines. Maybe they did some special metallurgical processing to strengthen the copper. Is the concern low burst pressure or low fatigue strength?

I think both reasons Mike. When steel lines replaced copper they had a single flare. After a while they discovered the flare would split so they went with the double flare that we have today. I remember in my early teens repairing a rusted brake line by joining with brass compression fittings. I never had a problem because if my cars were in that bad of shape something else would take them out of service before the brake line would burst!

Since you asked so nicely John.... ;)

post-77540-14314187005_thumb.jpg

The table the frame is sitting on happens to be a snowmobile work table my husband built many years ago while he was still doing snowmobile racing (MIRA series that still races today). With a couple of modifications, it's turned out to be a great place for the frame. It's on wheels on one end so we can move it around in the garage fairly easily.

My husband has the gears out of the rear end & we are amazed at how good of shape it is in! There appears to be very little, if any at all, wear! With all the other wearing we've seen on parts, we weren't sure what this was going to look like, but it's great! Doesn't look like we'll have to replace anything there! At least that's what my husband says right now! lol We'll see what happens when it goes all back together!

Shannon

post-77540-143141869995_thumb.jpg

post-77540-14314187002_thumb.jpg

post-77540-143141870038_thumb.jpg

Yes, it does John. I just wish we were a little farther! But I'll take what I can get. Tonight is getting the sandblaster ready for some more parts to clean up. Then tomorrow I'll get some stuff cleaned up for my husband to paint. It is nice to put things back on the frame! I will say that. Finally feels like we are starting to accomplish things! Once my daughter is done with school, she's going to come out and help us. That will help with moving things along a little faster also. She's the one pushing for getting it done this fall for her senior pictures! We have a great state park in our area that once the leaves turn colors, it will make a gorgeous backdrop for car!!

John, you still making it to Detroit?

Shannon

Shannon....I am still planning a trip somehow to Detroit. Since finishing our bathroom remodel I have been doing some things to ready the car...whether I drive it to Detroit or not.

• 6 months later...

post-77540-143142287783_thumb.jpgFirst wheel attached to car!! Once again, we are making some progress. I got the wheels back from our painter. He did a very nice job on them. It's just strange though to see these wheels cleaned up and looking so nice. We've been staring at them for so long all weathered and rusting! Enjoy!!

Shannon

OK,...Be honest...How many of you who looked at the picture of the wheel and went yyyuuuuccckkk! What's with that color??? Actually, in this case I think the picture might make it look better than in real life- looks a little greener (pea soup). Don't get me wrong, I am happy with the color, just was a little shocked when I first saw the painted wheels. Not a color most people would pick out of a bunch of chips! There was enough of this color on the body to take a electronic sample, and we compared it to the info from the build sheet (using color names and paint chips), and they both matched exactly to this color...so this is what it was born with....accurate as possible within reason....The rims did not have any original paint on them, so we went with a silver...just waiting on tires and they can go on..

Gotta love being able to install parts rather than removing them!

Dennis

OK,...Be honest...How many of you who looked at the picture of the wheel and went yyyuuuuccckkk! What's with that color??? Actually, in this case I think the picture might make it look better than in real life- looks a little greener (pea soup). Don't get me wrong, I am happy with the color, just was a little shocked when I first saw the painted wheels. Not a color most people would pick out of a bunch of chips! There was enough of this color on the body to take a electronic sample, and we compared it to the info from the build sheet (using color names and paint chips), and they both matched exactly to this color...so this is what it was born with....accurate as possible within reason....The rims did not have any original paint on them, so we went with a silver...just waiting on tires and they can go on..

Gotta love being able to install parts rather than removing them!

Dennis

Hello Dennis,

What type of paint did you use to prime and finish your wooden spoked wheels and steel felloes?

Thanks,

Dale

We hired a local restoration/body shop to do the final prep and painting, he used Nason epoxy primer and TCP Global single stage paint. It wasn't a tough decision to have it done after seeing how much dirt gets in my paint jobs- good enough for chassis parts, etc., but not for things that get looked at like the wheels will!

Dennis

post-77540-143142287884_thumb.jpgOk.....I have a question. This is something Dennis (my husband, MIClassicGuy) & I have been talking about. Now, I have no idea if the wheel I've put in this response is a DB or not. But the striping that was done on the spokes over the blue paint is what I'm wanting to know about. Is that something that was done a lot on wood wheels? We have several different DB Victory Six advertisements that show this in the renderings, but I know just because they were in the renderings doesn't mean it was actually done that way. I've only seen just a hand full of painted wood wheels with this type of detailing and always wondered if that was something regularly done or just for certain models.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks, Shannon

Hi Shanno and Dennis I have read somewhere that the rims were cad plated silver for the love of me I can't remember where it was. Your restoration is simply awesome.The 2249 Senior 6 that I am restoring has copper brake lines as well I was able to purchase new old stock brake linings when I restored the breaking system That was 25 years ago I still have 1 box enough to do 1 axle although at the rate I am going I will never wear the brakes out Cheers and keep up the good work and look forward to catching up in Detroit Ron

Hi Ron, thanks for the encouragement! We had the split rims painted a silver. They turned out pretty nice also. I remember reading somewhere that they were clad in cadmium or something like that (I could be completely wrong in the material!) which make them a dull silver color if I remember right. Glad to hear you are making the trek to Detroit next year! I look forward to getting to meet everyone!!

What fantastic work you're doing!!

Re spoke striping: The pedestrian Plymouth had them on their wooden wheels for all models from 1928, as I understand. I would expect Dodge would have followed suit. What I'm curious about is the configuration of the striping, having seen various ones. It would be great to find an unrestored wheels with the striping intact. Here's a restored 1929 Chrysler Model 75 RS Coupe I saw this summer.

frank

post-91248-14314228857_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the picture Frank. That is a nice wheel on that Chrysler. Unfortunately, the paint on our wheels were long gone so there's no telling. That's interesting to hear that Plymouth did the striping on their wood wheels. Makes me wonder how far off those advertising renderings were! Anyone else know anything about it? I know it sure would dress our wheels up if we did something like that. I have always thought it was great detailing on the wheels!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Whooooooohoooooooooo!!! More progress made today! We set the ring gear and pinion! What a pain in the arse that was!! Oye!! Took us about 4 to 5 hours to get it done, but it's done. Now we can put it back into the rear axle & finish the rear end up! Forward progress!! I'm going to order a bunch of gaskets & some other items from Myers so we can keep the forward progress moving along!!

Shannon