ME & MY === 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick and……..

dei

Looks like this will finally be a "Buick weekend" (yea! :D) mixed with a load to the dump to clean up the yard before my fallen wall / fence rebuild gets under way.

Meantime, managed to purchase another soon to be antique (although NOT a Buick).

I have been able to use a 1986 Craftsman riding lawnmower for a LONG time but she finally broke down big time and just could not justify the expense and time. Managed to find this as an Estate sale and before it went to auction sealed the deal.

John_Deere_LT133_-_May_10,_2016_-_pic2.JPG

Supposedly it is over 16 years old and is the belt driven drive vs the hydrostatic but the overall condition made me look at it twice! My only hesitation before I heard the price was when the seller told me "it was owned and operated by a little old lady who took very good care of it".:o :lol:

Then I looked over his shoulder and saw he was a "car guy" and after some more good chatting came to believe it was true and not just a line.

Have put about 6 hrs on it so far, runs like new. With the high back seat it's very comfortable and hope to get many years out it too! 

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 1

So, nothing grand to post pictures on the brakes, just the usual wheeling of backing plate and cleaning of brake drum etc before I paint it. Ended up cleaning up the floor under and around the car as after dropping a bolt or two (and not managing to find them :P) just needed to end that problem. Almost brought my Cougar home from storage but the temps were not higher than 43 degrees and thought, maybe next weekend which is our long Holiday weekend.

I'm considering ending this thread about my Buick's and starting a blog somewhere else about "My Life and Times".......

Came home Monday evening and could not get down my street as the street had cones across and the street was filled with flashing lights on about five vehicles.

IMG_0230.JPG

By this time most of the vehicles had cleaned up most of the mess and left but.... that limb took out the power lines and a pole behind the truck you see which left about 6 houses without power. It also broke my power line to the house on my side of the road and bent the mast!!!

IMG_0236.JPG

The power company hooked us with a temporary permit for the night but stated that it was to be replaced and fixed within three days. Electricians are not CHEAP and had to be paid after the job was completed! 

The home owner just left and said her insurance won't cover my damage?!?! 

HERE I GO AGAIN......  (have just about had it).

Damn Doug!  Be sure to contact your own insurance co.  Chances are it is covered and if the neighbors company is in any way liable, you can bet your insurance co will go after them with a vengeance, and with experienced legal staff.

On 19/05/2016 at 10:54 PM, JohnD1956 said:

Damn Doug!  Be sure to contact your own insurance co.  Chances are it is covered and if the neighbors company is in any way liable, you can bet your insurance co will go after them with a vengeance, and with experienced legal staff.

I'm not going to go on too much but....

"Experienced" is the operative word all right! With one claim in for the fence disaster (which they have low balled the replacement cost :P), have been advised that my "claims free discount" is gone (naturally) meaning the renewal rate will now be higher and because of second claim (even though not my fault) could constitute a review of my "risk" to them as a client and possibly be cancelled for renewal!?!?! Scare tactic? Maybe.....

With the crazy past 18 months I have been living, have decided to bring my 1989 Cougar out of storage Saturday and put it up for sale on a quest to start and simplify my life. I have my son's wedding coming up and out of pocket 2,500 (so far) and enjoying cars seems to be just a memory so....

Anyone interested in a low mileage original one owner (prior to me) car?:(

1989 Cougar - copy.jpg

Being in Canada (Windsor, Ontario) might discourage some but remember, your American dollar has about 30% more buying power again. Since it is now considered an antique I will be listing this in the AACA for sale section and the Ford listing with new current pictures after this weekend in the hopes someone will appreciate it's condition and value.

With a grey sky looking like rain this morning off I went with my son and his girlfriend in her car to go and retrieve my Cougar and his Mustang from the storage barn. 

The Cougar has been sitting for two years and after hooking up the fully charged battery she fired right off and watched while the gauges came up to normal readings.

1989 Cougar - May 21, 2016 - pic1.JPG

After a short test drive on the property headed the 30 miles back home and performed flawlessly! :) 

Had to take mostly back roads as the sticker expired a few months ago and I also needed to have an emissions test (every two years). Took her right to a shop and took a chance with two year old gas it would pass..... NO PROBLEMS AT ALL! :D

So, it is all cleaned up and pictures have been taken to promote it's sale. 

1989 Cougar - May 21, 2016 - pic3.JPG

1989 Cougar - May 21, 2016 - pic14.JPG

While I'm not as attached to this one as I am to my 58's it is a really nice condition car having been oil sprayed twice and handles well on the road.

I hope someone who buys it has an appreciation for what it is.

Thanks John.

It's not really about the price as much as letting it pass on to someone that likes this sort of condition vehicle. I know it most likely will end up as a second car for some ones everyday use being the relatively new age (1989) versus an older collectible antique car but.... If Dad had thought that when he bought the '51 Nash, it would not be the survivor it is so.... Will give it a try and if it does sell, with every dollar I put in my '58's will have the satisfaction of knowing it came from the Cougar.

Besides, as someone else said here, "You can't save them all".

• Like 1

With having to make up the work time I missed yesterday fetching and cleaning the Cougar I still had time to run over to the Special and shoot a bit of paint on some small parts and fired her up again. Nothing to brag about or take pictures but just saying I have not given up totally on making the wedding deadline at least.

Meantime had to be home to have dinner with my other son and his girl friend for 6 pm to BBQ. Decided to have a fire as it was a nice day temperature wise and knew it would be about right to enjoy an after dinner drink later. ;)

Nothing like BBQ'd salmon and chicken & beef shish kabob's. :D

IMG_0277.JPG

Naturally Mother has concerns when the boys bring their toys home for the summer as her trusty Van ends up out in the open. Not a bad thing when it isn't raining but..... I'm sure you all know how that goes. :unsure:

1991 Mustang - Home for the summer - May 21, 2016 - pic1.JPG

• Like 2

Well, you want to play you have to pay. 

Here is one of my jobs that had to be completed Friday for me to have Saturday off for a car show.

IMG_0294.JPG

It was built by a local 'Rum Runner' Harry Low and eventually ended up in the hands of Paul Martin Sr.

Look at all that leaded glass to be cleaned.

Sometimes jobs have their great settings and this one was not bad as this was parked further up the driveway to the Coach House.

IMG_0293.JPG

With co-operating weather and not "too long a day", my Saturday was free to enjoy.

Will post pictures of the car show next.:)

Saturday morning was a rush as I slept in (do not usually need an alarm....) so with a splash and dash headed to my friends to drive his 1966 Continental convertible 65 miles to the 16th Annual Chatham RetroFest Car Show. We had to meet up with a few others which is always fun to travel together and met at our famous Tim Horton's Coffee Shop.

IMG_0295.JPG

I love this boat with it's bias ply tires, 462 engine and body roll.... brings me back to my 58's on the road.:D

Once on the way I fell into the moment enjoying trip.

IMG_0297.JPG

Since this thread is about Buick's, what do I see once we parked and started down the street?

IMG_0298.JPG

Since I'm limited to picture size will post more later.

With the '28 being the oldest Buick there I was slightly surprised at the other Buick's at this Show.

I will start with this though as it was a surprise to see a Nail Head (instead of a sbc) in a Model A street rod. I never got to talk to the owner and obviously was a work in progress, but thought, smart guy.:)

IMG_0300.JPG

IMG_0299.JPG

Then there were these,

IMG_0303.JPG

• Like 1

RetroFest - cont'd

IMG_0317.JPG

As you can see Buick is well represented here in Canada. :D

My new friend has had this Riv for about 25 years which was painted almost 10 years ago.

IMG_0323.JPG

It is a rare numbers matching dual four barrel carb factory original car and other than the paint colour and wheels, is one sweet running car!

• Like 1

RetroFest - cont'd

IMG_0327.JPG

Such a unique design with those suicide doors!:D

I know, I know, this should be about my Buick's (and it will be) but I'm smitten! 

Have to sell off some before I can even think about it.... In the meantime, good to have friends willing to share!

All in all, a nice day!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

In an effort to generate some funds and lighten up my collection I had a few moments Friday to wash up the Cougar to take it to a Show with a For Sale sign being held Saturday at the Ford Dealership where I bought my 2011 F150.

1989 Cougar - June 10, 2016 - pic1.JPG

I enjoy the fact this car is in such great condition. Need to fix the power window drive as the plastic / nylon gear is stripped and a pia to put up and down but nothing is ever perfect.

Mean time, the Special in hiding behind the tool cart whispering at me to pay her some attention too......

1989 Cougar - June 10, 2016 - pic2.JPG

Went to the Show Saturday, IT WAS HOT! 94 degrees and a driving wind which made it feel like a blast furnace but....

Turned the odometer over to 70,000 kms. (42,000 miles). Fortunately the air works great and she never missed a beat on the highway.

The Show had about 65 cars of various makes and a mix of original restored to the usual street rods.

Thought this one was interesting.

IMG_0370.JPG

IMG_0371.JPG

No bites on the Cougar so.....

Our Car Club is having their bi-annual Car Show & Swap Meet today so planning on a few hours there and who knows.....

So, Sunday went to my Car Club spring meet and placed the for sale sign on the Cougar.

Had two calls asking questions but nothing more serious as was out and about in the swap meet area, catching up with members and looking at some of the cars.

Came across this one which I think was the oldest one there.

IMG_0378.JPG

As you can see by the oil on the inside of the hood, HE DRIVES IT!

Came from 45 miles away to be here and it was a hummer.

IMG_0379.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Checking in to wish my fellow Canadian car group friends a happy Canada Day Weekend and my neighbouring American family and friends a happy July 4th Weekend! Health & Happiness to all. :D

Hope to spend Sunday on the Special as work has kept me really busy (among other things) but today we are going to check out a vehicle or two as our trusty '99 mini van has just about reached it's pension age! :o

Too many small issues are adding up and around here the rust has advanced to the point it is beyond putting money in to save it. After 14 years of hauling kids, vacationing and daily use it has more than served us well but, it is time. My wife has the opportunity to use the '89 Cougar but after driving a van, doesn't like sitting so low in traffic anymore..... Should be a fun day choosing something to make us both happy?

Going to share this video sent to me which has a short viewing of the 1913 Buick I posted above. You will have to wait through the Corvette Show but gives a better viewing of the Car Club I have belonged to since I was 12. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKzNAlr2D5g

If any of you get this way I would encourage you to visit. The 25,000 square foot Transportation Museum has a large collection of mostly donated vehicles and the Village is unique to the area plus a great setting for the spring and fall Car Shows among other events.

Next weekend will be a road trip in the Cougar to Hamilton meeting the future in-laws at a Wedding Shower. 

The summer is going fast....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sunday July 10, 2016

Happy to report this weekend was wonderful on many levels  :D (not so much concerning the Special at this time).

Our soon to be daughter-in-law's family put on a wedding shower on Sunday in her home town of Hamilton, Ontario and I convinced my wife we should attend even though it was three hours away. 

Wouldn't you know our trusty minivan decided the coil pack was going to act up, dropping number one plug Friday afternoon and our local mechanic was going to be away Saturday but.... told the wife, we should take the Cougar as it need a good run!!! :)

Checked everything over, topped off the gas before leaving Saturday and with having recharged the air conditioning two weeks ago, off we went in 94 degree heat. B)

Soon after hitting the highway I set the cruise control slightly above the speed limit and settled in for a nice drive to a town on the way, visiting friends we have not seen for 22 years..... 

We 1st booked a room by luck (not having pre booked on line) as there was a Music Festival in town filling everyone up and after a great reunion, went out for a fun filled dinner they knew which has been there back from the old coach stopover days.:lol:

Midnight seemed to come all too fast and we had to say good night as there was about an hour and a bit to go to attend the shower Sunday.

Have to say the car performed as she should and with the air spot on, kept the passenger from complaining although, that big windshield sure does act as quite a solar collect pushing the system to it's limits. ;)

After a simple breakfast we arrived early and decided to explore Hamilton a bit. If you google map it you will see there is a huge bay/harbour and we stopped at one particular spot for some pictures.

IMG_0428.JPG

The bridge you see in the background is over the entrance to Lake Ontario beyond and if you head north (to the left) it you take you into Toronto, Ontario or go south, you will go to Niagara Falls. That is one HUGE Harbour!

There has been quite a revitalization going on and it sure has changed what was mostly an industrial waterfront.

IMG_0432.JPG

We were at the Shower in plenty of time, met our soon to be extended family and had a fun time for about 4 hours before having to head home.

Once again got on the highway setting the cruise just about the posted limit to not hold up the traffic (which seemed to be operating better all the time) and managed the trip home without any issues.

IMG_0438.JPG

Really please the car performed so well. :D

Total kms traveled: 526.4 kms.

She now reads: 71326.4 kms

This is only the third tank of gas since bringing her out of two years of storage.

Wish I could convince the wife to drive it since it handles so well. 

• Like 1

A busy week since coming back last weekend. 

Monday morning took the Cougar over to the other place to get my work truck. While turning off the main road doesn't the engine rev some with out moving faster..... :o

Went the three blocks, parked and checked the trans fluid. READING - LOW.:angry:

Stopped at the mechanics (with the truck) and since he was short handed said it might be next week before he could get it on the hoist to take a look.

Meantime, went about the day and after supper my son wants to get his Mustang out for an evening run.  He gets in our trusty old 1999 Van to move it out and.... NO MOVEMENT IN FORWARD OR REVERSE WITHOUT SOME CLANKING NOISE!

We managed to get it down the driveway out on the road and then there was no moving it at all! 

1999_Grand_Caravan_-_Jul_12,_2016_-_pic10.JPG

After 14 years of hauling kids, pets and groceries very dependably she has served us well. :) But we knew the time was coming and had been looking for a replacement for awhile but didn't think it would be quite this dramatic....

Had looked at another Van last week, put a deposit on it and waiting for some touch up work on the rear bumper to be completed so made a call to see where things were at.

Wednesday we came home with it and Mommy is happy again!:D

2009 Grand Caravan - July 13, 2016 - pic1.JPG

This one has only 43,885 kms (28,525 miles) on it for a 2009! 

No, it was not the car salesman story about the "little old lady driven car", it was indeed owned by a grandfather who passed away, willed it to his granddaughter and she thought it was not her style so traded it in on a Jeep.

Thanks sweetheart! 

Hoping to get another 14 or so years out of this one (with luck:unsure:).

• Like 1

On 15/07/2016 at 10:36 PM, Buicknutty said:

Lots of nice pictures, Doug. I know this is a Buick forum, but I do like those big 4 door Lincolns, thanks for posting all those pictures of it.

Keith

Keith, 

Wish I had more time to meet up with you last weekend. It would have been nice to see Toronto, the Bay and your collection as the weather was perfect.

Guess I have indeed strayed away from my Buick's and with only two months now before the wedding, finding it hard to focus on getting the Special back on the road. (Seems the older I get the faster the world is spinning but trying to hang on)

Somehow going to get things done.

Priorities being what they are I'm off to work this fine Sunday to finish a contract job that went long on us yesterday. At least the hard part is done and plan to be finished by 2pm.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes luck comes my way.

While talking to a few car guys the subject comes up of cleaning up a shed of stored stuff and one mentions he has some tires he would like to get rid of. Decided to go back and check it out. First thing I notice is they are WWW and they are 15 inch. They are definitely used but have good tread and other than one (which was another make) show no signs of weather checking.

At the price, I couldn't turn them down and went to work cleaning them up.

IMG_0482.JPG

IMG_0481.JPG

They came out not too bad and with a bit more cleaning will make me happy.

IMG_0485.JPG

Most likely I will be putting these on the Limited as the tires on her now are port-a-walls. 

I know they are not period correct being the wide white wall they are but with the car being black, it will only be that more noticeable.:D

58 Limited - March 1990 - Leamington - Copy.jpg

Hope everyone has a good time in Allentown this week.:)  

Maybe next year I can make it to the National.....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm in the last month before the wedding and naturally, contract work has heated up! (a truly good thing for my future but....)

Had considered dropping the Special on her tires and having it towed over to my mechanic letting them finish up what I just can't seem to find time to do.... Unfortunately I learned he had to be air lifted to London (some two hours away by car) and perform emergency double by-pass surgery! :o Thankfully he is going to be fine with time off work but in his early 50's, too young in my opinion!

Naturally, the shop is short handed and the guys are not willing to tie up a bay with an old car when it could be used to produce money to keep things going so.....

While talking to my friend who owns the red Continental convertible I'd love to own, doesn't he generously offer to let me use his car for the wedding!

At this point I have declined as he isn't able to be there himself and with my luck something might happen to it and would be more worried about that than enjoying the whole event! :rolleyes: 

Would have been great if he was able to be there but.... don't need any more issues in my life, especially someone else's car!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well it is 7am Wednesday September 14th and the Wedding is virtually here! :o

Was finally able to get caught up with the business demands but have had NO time to devote to the Special! :(

With a weekend forecast of possible showers on Saturday maybe it was ordained?

Will see how the "honey do list" goes today..... might consider pulling an all nighter in the garage as a last ditch effort but? :wacko:

Surely won't be the end of the world without her but would have been that 'special' touch for us all.

Meantime, with my first born getting married, getting family all together for the first time (the oldest is 103 and Dad is 92 and so on from my side) there will be enough memories and hope all will have a good time to remember. 

The new in-laws are coming in tomorrow night and with having spent a great day with them earlier, looking forward to making them feel at home.

As with our wedding 36 years ago, the day will go by all too quickly, but I plan to have my trusty camera to capture the action as much as I can. :)

Good day. It is Tuesday September 20, 2016 and popping in for a short report.

Ever wonder how sometimes things just work the way they do and for what reason?

My son's wedding was this past Saturday and wouldn't you figure, it rained all day!:(

Even had the Special been on the road, the top would have had to be up therefore being really awkward for a bride to get in and out of so.... while the car was missed, all in all, we were all together inside and had a good time!:D

My son made arrangements with an old classmate of mine who owns a Limo Service and what a unit it was.

IMG_0643.JPG

The ending to the weekend was sitting under our neighbours canopy on Sunday and looking west we could see a break in the rain clouds. Within 30 minutes the sun peaked out and shone on us as if to say, the world is right again. With my 92 year old father there who was able to say Grace before dinner, life is good! :)

• Like 3

So, last night had to cut the grass where I have the Special and afterwards decided I'd better try and start her up. Since it has been awhile, the battery was low so jumped with my spare and fired with a few turns. Let her warm right up, idle for awhile and left thinking I need to keep at her when I can. 

It would be good to go for a ride before the winter sets in....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's two weeks since the wedding and with the week we have been having here, need to ask my 88 year old mother if I was born in a pool (there was a period when that actually made the news as a birthing method).

Started raining Tuesday morning and yesterday (Thursday) the Mayors of Windsor, Ontario & Tecumseh, Ontario have declared a state of emergency as Windsor had about 4 inches of rainfall over a 14 hr period and Tecumseh had officially 8 inches in the same time period. There are currently 1800 homes so far (not including business) that have flooded basements, streets and property damage.  

I have been to my garage where the Special is (along with my other cars) and after cleaning out the trench I made last year and the bit of grading done, have been able to keep ahead of most of the water getting in and dampening the floor. Have the fan going to move air around just in case.

IMG_0702.JPG

With another two days predicted and the service systems working at max..... praying to be able to keep ahead.

Then, my son and daughter-in-law is in Aruba for their honeymoon. Got a text last night that they are confined to their Resort Hotel for the next 24-36 hours because of Hurricane Mathew but have been told things should be OK. 

Lets see, rained on their wedding day, raining (hurricane) on the honeymoon, rained on our wedding day 36 years ago... Guess my other son had better be prepared!:wacko:   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Popping in to wish my fellow Canadian Buick collectors a HAPPY THANKSGIVING! :)

Yes, this our weekend vs our US friends. We have to have some unique differences right?:D 

While taking care of some work around the properties needing to be done before the on coming winter :blink:, doesn't my friend pull up in his '53 Cadillac with another friend. He decided to stop by while out for a drive to see if I might be able to give him a hand moving some of his cars around in his garage. Asking if he could give me one hour, over I went. When I pulled up this is what I saw. 

IMG_0722.JPG

He needed our help to move a 1959 Monarch he has that is not running so he can make room for a new lift. Fortunately 6 cars of the eight he has in there run under their own power so with those out of the way, plenty of room to push it around.

IMG_0723.JPG

With the black one in place, getting the running cars in was quick and painless.

IMG_0724.JPG

While Joe doesn't have a Buick in his collection, he is none the less, a 'CAR GUY' and it was a great way to spend a few hours this fine weekend.:)

Hope yours is as fun! 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Popped over to the garage yesterday to hook up the grass catcher setup for my JD rider (a used unit, did not fit well) and fired up the Special again to ensure the battery is holding up (actually, just like to hear her running :)). 

I then hear something and look over to see this in the other driveway.

IMG_0744.JPG

My son's friend, his first car too, enjoying the nice weather while he can. B)

Hoping to steal a few hours Sunday and get back to the brakes ....

• Like 1

So, it is Sunday night and yes, I did steal some time for the Special.

Not before I checked in on Mom & Dad 1st though.

He has been somewhat stable for the last two weeks (a good thing) and while attending to his yard found him in his garage tinkering with something.

Ab in his garage - Oct 30, 2016 - pic1.JPG

Seems he tried to start the Corvair (going to my sister someday) and the battery was down flat.

With four chargers on the shelf, only one seemed to work! That one was one be bought way back in the 60's....:wacko:

Ab in his garage - Oct 30, 2016 - pic2.JPG

After checking to make sure the positive and negative were connected properly (and getting the evil eye for having done so ;)) inside we went and chatted before heading over to the Special.

At 92 and a half (and counting as he says), Taking every good day we can. 

After a bit of sorting parts, wheeled a few pieces in prepping for some paint. Not much to really show but will try and keep at things as I can. 

IMG_0749.JPG

Managed to lubricate this side of the parking brake but still need to drill out that broken bolt holding the cable in place.

Wheeled and painted the plate for the cable and then...

The battery went dead on my camera.

IMG_0758.JPG

• Like 2

Trust everyone had a Safe and Happy Halloween with lot's of Happy Trick or Treaters!

We have lived in the same neighbourhood since 1983 and demographics have changed over the years. Last year we had no kids at all, sat with our good neighbours and sipped on wine waiting. ;)

This year, no neighbours, no wine and had 9 kids show up but the weather was excellent! Hovered around 60 all evening.

Today it was 78 degrees and boy did I enjoy work! It wasn't on the car but because I got so much done today will be able to take off early tomorrow and steal a few hours again.

Thought I'd share my work environment this fine day.

IMG_0764.JPG

This is a rare vantage point. It was the balcony of Hiram Walker's personal office back in the day. Today the windows are full thermopane glass with no access to the outside now, hence the ladder. I'm looking south and that is the GM Headquarters in downtown Detroit. This building is designated a Heritage Building and that stone work has all been restored by stone mason's brought over from Europe to repair the intricate fresco work all over this historic building.

IMG_0769.JPG

There is a room in the basement under these stairs which is rumoured that Al Capone played cards and made arrangements for Whiskey here.

There was a lot of Rum Running along the Detroit River in the day.... 

Supposedly my wife's family had a play at it too. :o 

The money disappeared somewhere though as she didn't have it when we got married.:lol:

It's days like this that make me feel young again.:rolleyes: 

• Like 2