ME & MY === 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick and……..

dei

Tonight I spent time in the garage working on cleaning things up.

Decided to hang two of the LED light and boy what a difference!

Before... IMG_6282.thumb.JPG.51e2f2e0e707a41bcac4e30653bdbf40.JPG

After... hard to see but felt like I had new gasses on.

IMG_6283.thumb.JPG.13513a986d5d9d329fed052d5291fc67.JPG

Worked my way in the back and unearthed a few pieces...

Quite sure this is for the Roadmaster convertible and believe it to be NOS.

IMG_6289.thumb.JPG.0cd27154dd6c078ad88c46fa44e0e13e.JPG

Then found these, NOS Special side trim drivers side.

IMG_6287.thumb.JPG.de640ce6c21ac70a93332e789836e6fa.JPG

More... 

Found the passenger side inner fender panel that I had painted some time ago...

IMG_6291.thumb.JPG.08de06b5cdace8e06d1d56c4d9aad6ad.JPG

Then I came across these.

They are common to the Special, Century and Super models.

IMG_6293.thumb.JPG.f7770dc3a34c046caf4c8f347c78d31d.JPG

Much more sorting and cleaning up in my future.... 

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 2

After some work today went around to the mechanics to get the rim I dropped off to have the old tire removed and brought it home. Hope to clean it up and paint it on Sunday or Monday then bring it and the old tire from the Special to have it mounted.

Meantime, went in to the garage after supper thinking I might put a tire and rim on the passenger front side until I notice something.., 

IMG_6274.thumb.JPG.b100a1a1a64295b5f45d5a51e911d799.JPG

The bloody tire doesn't have the holes in the rim for the locating pin on the drum which aids in getting the wheel bolts started.

I know I could just remove the locating pin off the drum (and might do that for the one rear wheel) but that would mean I'd have to remember where I put that single pin later when wanting to put another correct wheel back on (down the road). 

8 hours ago, dei said:

After some work today went around to the mechanics to get the rim I dropped off to have the old tire removed and brought it home. Hope to clean it up and paint it on Sunday or Monday then bring it and the old tire from the Special to have it mounted.

Meantime, went in to the garage after supper thinking I might put a tire and rim on the passenger front side until I notice something.., 

IMG_6274.thumb.JPG.b100a1a1a64295b5f45d5a51e911d799.JPG

The bloody tire doesn't have the holes in the rim for the locating pin on the drum which aids in getting the wheel bolts started.

I know I could just remove the locating pin off the drum (and might do that for the one rear wheel) but that would mean I'd have to remember where I put that single pin later when wanting to put another correct wheel back on (down the road). 

Thats why God made glove compartments 😉

• Like 2

Have you seen the inside of that glove box John? LOL

Seriously though, it crossed my mind to do that and possibly drill out a hole, but with having rims from two Limited's and a spare rim or two for the Special, was surprised at myself cleaning up the one rim that didn't have the factory holes!

One more thing to have learned about '58 Buick's.

Never too old to learn (but I'm getting there according to my lovely wife! 🤐)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Can you drill out one of the locating pin locations?

That rim was supplied on a little later Buick that had studs and lug nuts instead of lug bolts.  Long age I bought 2 rims from a dealers old stock that were like this and just drilled one hole.

• Like 1

After taken care of Xmas obligations with friends and neighbours plus the in-law side of the family this weekend, decided to take a small bite of the elephant and bring a labeled box of sorted items for the Special over to her garage. A small attempt to get more organised but it also clears things out a bit in the Limited garage...

I looked at the Special with her blanket on and thought about firing her up but thought better of loading the exhaust system up with moisture as it started to rain and didn't want to drive around and get her dirty.

IMG_6261.thumb.JPG.aae0012b0ed3d7b8215cc1d9bfc86eed.JPG

Time to turn up the tunes, continue with organising stuff in the Limited garage and maybe clean up that rim for paint...

Spent the afternoon and evening (late in the AM) trying to get at that rim.

Biggest issue is the garage has been a catch all for both myself and son for years and now it's time to pay the piper if I want to get things done on the Limited. Still finding a few things of his and have them set aside for another drop off later.

Had to continue taping some insulation on the garage door and replace some plastic on the ceiling where the coon pushed down the insulation. It's making a difference maintaining heat with my electric heater now only on the low setting.

IMG_6299.thumb.JPG.0aae90607061509ed006d0c9bb7636f8.JPG

With that much completed I turned to the pile on the motor that while isn't in the way, just isn't helping my cause... (anyone need a nailhead? It's not a '57 or '58 so...).

At this point and some thought I went to the lumber store and bought material to make a bench area to work from.

IMG_6302.thumb.JPG.8e3d34b3e884f20ac605dab702669d72.JPG

Several trips out to the garbage can (and more to follow) but it will serve me well.

IMG_6300.thumb.JPG.a0605d18ece25d409ea7721104383b4f.JPG

I didn't get too far as it was really late by now but, to be continued.

• Like 2

I'm not sure if the locating/centring pin/wheel is used on other years or not but it is common among all the 1958 Buick models.

As an assist when mounting the wheel, I like it. It's easier to line up the bolts that way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dei said:

As an assist when mounting the wheel, I like it. It's easier to line up the bolts that way.

It is still a pain stabbing that single pin.  Cut the head off two 9/16-18 bolts and use as guide studs.  Keep in your traveling tool box.  About $5 from Fastenal and others.

If you have wire wheels that is the only easy way to mount.

I made some many years ago after a fiasco changing a tire at night...in a ditch...with a bumper jack... beverage alcohol consumed (maybe a little):o.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, 95Cardinal said:

Doug, don't scrap that nailhead!

Even if none of your Buick buddies need it, those engines are a popular hot rod choice.

Traditional Model A built with a nailhead is a cool combo!

You're right JOE!. (correction Joe sorry, posting late..)

I saw this Whippet at a show here in Canada two years ago.

IMG_3211_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.9f5dd3ba867849a687cf5de82d20dc4b.jpg

• Like 1

Also,

Thanks Joe for locating a window for the Roadmaster!

This confirms for Buick Roadmaster & Limited Collectors that the 1957 - 1958 Series 62 Cadillac Convertibles use the same rear windows as both '57 & '58 Buick upper series convertibles do.

The information came from CaddyDady in California and they have a great website.

Makes sense with convertibles being of such low production to share some things.

convertiblerearlhwindowframe_1_.thumb.jpg.de01fab2e0ea6045436637da9dc2d2af.jpg

It would be a very "special" (aka Roadmaster) Xmas for me to bite on this with some other obligations in the works right now but appreciate the effort Joe!

I liked that it was free shipping anywhere in the US though.

At least I know now what it looks like and when I get into the car to see what the issue is letting it raise up by hand, might be able to fix, weld or replace a bolt to get it working properly. 

Going to check a source tomorrow Lance has sent me and see where that goes.

• Like 1

The past four days here have been about freezing, dry and with the sun in full brightness turned to thoughts of driving the Special on Friday.

Made my way to her garage and after not driving her for awhile reconnected the battery and hit the starter crossing my fingers. After a bit of cranking over I saw the fuel coming into the clear fuel filter and away she went! Reaching the choke linkage I made sure it was on a fast idle to warm up before backing out as it was 41 degrees out and there is no heat in the garage to keep things warm. I took off her blanket, moved some things I put behind her and noticed some drips of water (no antifreeze colour fortunately) and figured a good run was in order to get ride of that.

IMG_6306.thumb.JPG.ac8e803cd9182fa804a06397d80ced09.JPG

With a full tank of fuel and fully warmed up to temp I backed out and check the tire pressure finding them all at 32 lbs. 

IMG_6308.thumb.JPG.f5fa625b42bac161cc2660aaed3f4cad.JPG

The picture doesn't show it but she is a bit dusty from the last trip out I guess and figured at this time of year no one is really going to critic seeing it going down the road. 

Two days prior I received an email saying a fellow car club member had passed away and his celebration of life was to be Friday evening 7 to 9 so with the car performing so well thought I would drive her one last time some 40 miles this year and pay tribute to him.

Sam was a model T guy and mechanic who drove several T's he owned everywhere he could when the occasion arose. The fact he lived in Leamington where I used to hang in the summers at our family cottage driving the Special well, it just seemed timely.

I called a friend and fellow member to see if he wanted to go and with a positive "Sure, I'll go with you for a ride" we met at 6:30 to head out.

Knowing the dash lights don't work (not a fuse issue) I plugged in the GPS which shows speed and we headed out. Traffic was surprisingly light for a Friday evening and drove along at 55 not missing a beat. 

My friend commented at some point that he felt a bit of a breeze at his feet and sure enough I had the side vent cracked open ever so little... Once that was closed we were warm and comfortable. Guess stepping up the thermostat to the 180 degree was a good thing.

Arrived at the funeral home at 7:30 and found a spot right out in front. 

It was nice to find a large number of Club Members there along with Sam's family and friends.

Finally it was time to head back whereupon my "friend" (who has a large collection of cars too) said to me he hoped the car would start as he wasn't going to be the one pushing! Thanks Buddy.

To his slight joke I hit the starter and she came to life as if to say, So There You!

Since it was on the way back I just had to drive by the few land marks showing Joe where I tramped around back in the day even though it was dark to see. 

Could it be the Special knows right where to go or is it my early signs of senility starting to show... 🤫

1272148690_1958BuickSpecial-August1972-49ElliottStLeamington-pic2-Copy.thumb.jpg.3401c0c66154c0a598c5cc6095c7b535.jpg

The trip home was uneventful fortunately and arrived with enough time to invite Joe in for a visit with the wife.

Funerals are not something to be enjoyed but going to pay respects to the family is one of the last things one can do for the deceased in my opinion.

Taking the car for a car guy, just made it somewhat better.

• Like 3

Today, Tuesday, started with my morning coffee thinking it would be a good day to head into the garage and either finish cleaning up the Limited rim or tackling the strapping for the ceiling when... a call changed those thoughts.

A customer wondered if I would be able to deal with her leaves as I wasn't able to get to it before the 10 inch snow fall and then the rain we received in the last two weeks.

Fully dressed for the cold proceeded to grab my lunch, load up the rider and a gas can to spend the afternoon.

Crazy to think in December conditions would be such that I would have to do a job this late in the year. Hey, it's another buck in the Limited refurbish. 🙌

Last night I spent time going through a cabinet and found this picture. Obviously it was at the National Meet in Flint, Mi with my youngest son.

I wasn't really happy with the way the shot turned out and was told they only had the one photo opportunity so accepted it for what it was and put it away in the cabinet.

CCI20191215.thumb.jpg.4e28911ae894a6577d23cdfe8359b1de.jpg

To give credit where credit is due this was done by: Events Photos by Mar-E-Lynn The Clown on the day I registered.

That event was magnificent and the first National the car had ever been to being so close to me logistically. Sadly I left my camera charger at home and the battery died so something like this means so much more.

However, with a little work...

1578958382_BCA2003CentenialMeet-FlintMich-scan.thumb.jpg.89c78934802bad81510c23bdd86a8f8b.jpg 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Being that it was my first National and timidly taking the car knowing full well she was well, what she was (not restored or preserved some would say well...) it was however not the end of the world to have record (a slightly over exposed picture) of being involved with an event the size it was. 

I understood being a non-judged event some who participate in having their cars judged were disappointed but with what, almost 1,000 cars of all ages, conditions and the Buick Heritage collection there... I came away inspired to continue keeping my cars.

Sadly, shortly after that event I lost the brakes on the Special and with a leaky torque ball seal and life generally keeping me distracted, I let her sit till three years ago. 

Having her back on the road with mechanical issues addressed and attending various local cruise-ins and organised car shows gaining support for what she is, I look forward to driving her to the National in Strongsville next July!

The fact I have had support here on the Forums along the way has been one of my best investments in time and effort! 

This is a big hobby with a spot for all to enjoy and I'm going to do just that. 

I've told her story here on my thread plenty but will enjoy telling it again in Strongsville.

I think even my wife might get to enjoy telling her side too once we are there... 😍

• Like 3

No worries John.

I have to ask though, with the Buick seal and writing on the photo, did you do some work on the original or was that done by the photographer?

I don't recall the homes being that close... (mind slip?).

Wish I had been more involved with the Forums then so we could have met and chatted.

The good Lord willing, see you in Strongsville!

• Like 1

On 12/18/2019 at 3:47 PM, JohnD1956 said:

I didn't do any adjustment to the photo Dei. That was how it looked back then. 

Sheesh!

Took a second look at your picture and see now that it was at the same entrance location like mine....

(Time for another Xmas eggnog...😵)

• Haha 1

With a particularly insistent spouse requiring the house be in specific order for Christmas this year I have been busy of late moving and setting up the spare bedroom with computer and car mags out of common sight.

Due to it being the catch all room, it is giving me practice when finished to carry on out in the garage...

Managed to find a place to look at my trophy instead of it being stuck in the closet out of sight!

IMG_6313.thumb.JPG.b6714a2474647faa30edf7705cccaa26.JPG

Maybe Santa will give me a nice set of head phones so I can listen to music and block out distracting noise. 🙃

Sorting things out there was a box of stuff belonging to my one boy so used it as an excuse to fire up the Special and take it over to him.

Having been out for the funeral recently she fired right up.

The fact it was 51 degrees today and going to be that tomorrow made it all that much more a reason to go for a ride.

IMG_6316.thumb.JPG.2a69d3fb1a70158761f050e22fd64366.JPG

I should have taken the time to wash her up but... the drive was in my mind with a little stop for some Xmas shopping, then stopped at the Shell station to top off the tank again for the winter with the good stuff.

Thinking the time between Boxing Day and New Years will be my time to spend on the Limited.

• Like 1

While at Mom's today to complete something I promised her, my friend called wondering where I was. After telling him he showed just as I finished up with another friend in his 1959 Monarch.

IMG_6318.thumb.JPG.0a50bdedcda0af04270da0c003579bd4.JPG

It was 54 degrees today and with roads dry think many people had the same idea, Lets Go For A Ride!

• Like 2

Decided to go at the rim finally sitting on the bench.

I grabbed a more aggressive wire wheel to knock some of the paint and rust off.

IMG_6355.thumb.JPG.78dfcb6610d6dc711b7a68e3dc4e28bc.JPG

I had to go at the area where the bead of the tire seals as this rim is from the parts car and those tires have been on it since the early 1980's.

The wheel made short work of the cleanup to ensure a better seal and then sprayed primer to prevent any rusting.

IMG_6357.thumb.JPG.0b7de847838d176f01735e6a79ae3241.JPG

Using the off the shelf red paint for now will do as these are just roller rims and tires while the car is in progress.

IMG_6358.thumb.JPG.cd250aafb52ca751a69b61089395b12e.JPG

Will drop off the rim and tire on Monday to have it mounted. I will also bring another rim with an old tire on it to have the tire taken off, clean it and then paint it before mounting the fourth roller tire. 

When that is done I will have to drag the car out on the passenger side "flat tire" to change it out but with the mild weather we are having, shouldn't be a major concern.

• Like 1

My motivation initially was to get rid of the old bias ply tires and clean the rim due to the fact no mater what pressure I put in them, they would leak and go flat in about 3-4 weeks. That was a pia on the passenger side as it is tight to get to the back wheel and reach down to get to the valve stem...

Then I looked through the side shed and found the rims from the parts car and figured go at them and paint before putting on the old tires from the Special. They are under size for the Limited but as rollers will be just fine.

Without the front sheet metal, engine and transmission in the car it can be moved in and out with aired up tires easily by myself.

When I get to that point I have plans to remount the wall shelf hanging on the back wall now to the side wall. I will be putting a 10 foot overhead door in to access the new pad that was put in this year in hopes to build a garage addition down the road. If I have figured it correctly, three of my other antique cars will fit back there. (building codes restrict me from building it high enough to put in a hoist or two)

Never enough space is there...

• Like 1

Today was one of those days that started slow expecting to hear from my one son who asked if I would be available to help him with some construction in his house. By 1 pm decided to drive over and found him not really needing my help so after a visit went home and into the garage.

With lot's of sorting and clean up I went at the shelves by the door. 

I decided the best way was to deconstruct things and made a shelf for a stereo sitting not used in the house. Music works for me and this unit should provide some quality sound with the spare cabinet speakers I have downstairs and bring out. I have some plastic covering it to keep the dust off the unit.

IMG_6362.thumb.JPG.84bc6f3c53fd5fee17ed2363ee60e17b.JPG

After cleaning up the drill press and wire wheel moved on back to the bench that has been cluttered up for way too long.

IMG_6367.thumb.JPG.bb6edcd91c8fa5aadd896bf7be652ebb.JPG

Low and behold, under that pile was the stereo car radio my wife bought for me which I put in my '67 Mustang while we dated.

I hooked up some speakers that were from another car radio I used in the garage before and... it came to life! :)

IMG_6364.thumb.JPG.166c459111c118e1d50ea5be58b3f229.JPG

You get that I don't throw anything out right... 😵

Then the next thing I find is my CB radio.

IMG_6365.thumb.JPG.68986085b582775618c1399044ed71db.JPG

I will have to see if I still have the antenna before I hook it up but know the bracket for the under the dash mounting is still in the Special yet.

Have much to do yet but making some headway...

Will be dropping the rim and tire off to my mechanic tomorrow to have mounted and also bring another rim with an old tire on it to have taken off.

A few more 8 hours evenings and who knows, I might be able to finish cleaning up the front frame and putting in the transmission soon.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, kgreen said:

Note the sign to which your car gives credence to the term "land yacht".

Yup, that's one of a few things she has been called... :)

If the Special might be considered a Land Yacht then my Limited might be considered an "Air Craft Carrier" being that it is about 9 inches longer than the Special (mostly in the trunk area). LOL

2075126488_1958BuickLimited-MagAd-pic1.thumb.jpg.972d99a3ab5c2da75779778a75c65df0.jpg

• Like 1

After a trip to the City Recycle Center I grabbed the tire at the garage with the Special and dropped it, the painted rim and the final old tire to be removed from that rim so I can clean / paint it up.

The shop is busy so not expecting the work to be done till the end of the week or next with New Years and all.  

Looks like old man winter might be coming around some to close out 2019 so have clothing, gloves and shovels loaded to take care of a few customers.

We really had it too good with temps in the low 50's this past two weeks.... Time to pay the Piper.

Going to finish 2019 with this post;

Dodged another (and last) bullet for 2019 with just a dusting of snow instead of the possible 2-4 inches they thought might happen. Took three cups of coffee to get going which was only to wait around for a delivery of living room furniture my wife had ordered. That came as scheduled with no issues. 

What's the Buick connection here?

I was sent on a mission (from you know who) to get a few last minute things for company tomorrow. While out I grabbed another coffee and decided to get a Gift Card for my mechanic doing the tires and rims. 

Glenn is a car guy wholehearted (even if he owns an F100 and a Camero with a built up 355).

He won't take anything for doing my tires so what better thing to do than get him a $50 Tim's Coffee gift card?

So he says, Thanks and Your tire is done. 

I load it and the now tireless rim in the truck and headed on Home.

IMG_6376.thumb.JPG.8c593f9da4cd08163975a4aeb38f190f.JPG

Any work on the Limited will be next year now.... (groan)

HAPPY NEW YEARS ALL!  🤩🥳🙌

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Things in the garage stalled till Saturday afternoon when I sneaked out to get something done.

I plugged in the electric heater to take the slight chill off and decided to clean things away from the Limited to access the ceiling insulation (or lack of) and the plastic that had been destroyed by the raccoon. 

IMG_6401.thumb.JPG.f1c30c80b7e80ab5e692fcb788532451.JPG

I should almost start a garage thread but since this is fixing up, not building, I'll leave that for later...

I had to replace three sections of R 12 insulation near the corner before stapling new plastic up.

Naturally my staple gun ran out so I came off the step and went a hunting for the box...

I soon realised my son had borrowed my other gun and took the two box's of staples saying he would replace them. OK, but now the store is closed and no answer from my son.

Fortunately I have lot's of tape so pieced enough plastic together to hold the insulation in place for now.

With the step in place I brought out the third of four led lights my boy bought me for Fathers Day and mounted it on the ceiling.

Boy those things really light up the work space!

IMG_6406.thumb.JPG.664de07964770131b7d6dba86b217131.JPG

With the temps falling outside and a sleet/snow mixture happening I checked the thermometer and was happy to see it was almost 50 degrees and holding so plugging up the gaps up front is making a difference. It should be even warmer when I get at the back of the garage and fix the gaps there.

IMG_6408.thumb.JPG.7f87bf23f93a170bc56572751a7a4913.JPG

With most things moved I wanted to loosen the wheel bolts but the stuff in the cabinet beside the car is too close so grabbed the jack to raise it up and put a stand under this side to level the car.

IMG_6410.thumb.JPG.d994d94dd8d526d0cba89c01651931f6.JPG

There is more sorting to be done yet but pleased with the progress so far.

A little more height and I'll be able to start cleaning and painting the underbody and frame before the transmission goes in.

IMG_6412.thumb.JPG.308edb5ef77db5b9395ebe700254dac3.JPG

Just when I was thinking about going in I noticed a front bumper piece and was curious if it would clean up.

I got this far with it when I checked my watch and it was 3:15 AM!!!!

IMG_6413.thumb.JPG.7c0afc8752403b049dbf10e2b185f1f3.JPG

Now that's what you call "Time flying when you are having FUN!"

• Like 3

Put a few more hours in today.

Located my big Johnson bar and correct impact socket for the wheel bolts and by turning the wheels as far a possible made short work of getting the tire and rim off.

IMG_6417.thumb.JPG.89a78985a473937525df00f6d3e063b5.JPG

IMG_6418.thumb.JPG.968d0a424e857222d0d08a4956844ab4.JPG

IMG_6419.thumb.JPG.9f860bcaebbda01c903b02e980253fab.JPG

Next will be the back drivers side tire. Tomorrow I have to bring my truck in for service so will drop off this tire to be removed and then can clean and paint that rim.

• Like 1