ME & MY === 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick, 1958 Buick and……..

dei

LOL

Actually the rear axle is still under there but she is so badly rusted out that the the coil springs have pushed up through the rear trunk shelf...

1357389391_Limited-dismantling-April232019-pic2.thumb.JPG.7194692f7883df7edeb39dd01e11263a.JPG

I didn't cut anything off the trunk floor, I just grabbed it piece by piece and threw it in a pail.

Saving it this long was more about not having find places to store parts inside the garage but that ship has now sailed!

Continued some more taking off trim to save.

The back upper inside trim needed to come off in order to access the nuts holding the clips for the exterior trim. Luckily the clips were in fairly good shape and not rusted except for two.

957608415_Limited-Dismantling-April232019-pic18.thumb.JPG.284fb8ae5332b5442bf7df151a296485.JPG

Once that trim was off and the clips were tagged and bagged it was time to see if I could locate the screws holding the exterior roof edge trim. I had to scrape lots of thick weather stripping that seals between it and the flipper window trim but there they were.

Unfortunately I was a bit aggressive with the trim before all the screws were out so it has some distortion but will be able to save the passenger side... 

Getting there.

1466688991_Limited-Dismantling-April232019-pic15.thumb.JPG.3f46a7efb69f5912fa7fcd88913493c9.JPG

Once I get the windows out and cut most of the body off it won't take much to cut the frame.

It is so rusted that I noticed the frame under the seat was flexing when putting my feet on it while reaching the trim in the back....

Today I spend the afternoon cleaning and preparing the 1989 Dynasty that I looked at two weeks ago. We finally came together on a price and had all the papers signed to complete the sale "as is" for now.

First order of business was to clean up the tires as they had not been cleaned for awhile.

1095446859_1989Dynasty-April272019-pic1.thumb.JPG.4fc7db5cac0a5008fac73bb02722c9d8.JPG

A little SOS and elbow grease and they looked much better.

591384361_1989Dynasty-April272019-pic3.thumb.JPG.a83cf61a52e5cb5ad52e529ccee1bd2c.JPG

This car is in quite amazing condition for it's age and being a one owner car (purchased new in '89) and garage kept I almost hate to let my brother-in-law have it for daily transportation...

1009240673_1989Dynasty-April272019-pic4.thumb.JPG.b9b66316e78bc073730204a33b0a1e32.JPG

1403085778_1989Dynasty-April272019-pic5.thumb.JPG.8ee158754c19c2c24ad3ef6a3bc4f1c8.JPG

With a fresh oil change and final safety inspection (mostly filling out the paperwork so the mechanic says) he will be on the road again(as long as he maintains it...).

Wish it was a Buick of some kind as it would then be in my stable for the money this one cost to buy.

Many irons in the fire right now...

Like some of you we are dealing with RAIN and some flooding!

Tuesday night was loud and a constant light show from 1 am till about 4 am.

Rainfall totals were between 3 to 4 inches as the lighter rain continued on during Wednesday morning.

The ground was fully saturated from last weeks rain so the City systems are maxed out again and not keeping up. Last Sunday I tried to cut the back yard where I keep the Special and foolishly thought I could get through the lowest part but.... no luck with that! (yes I admitted to the foolishness)

IMG_4720.thumb.JPG.ebfb91210d8f4c3f09f4920604cb0e60.JPG

After much effort getting it out of the mud I continued with the front and... Managed to get stuck again!

IMG_4722.thumb.JPG.dc825aff99eadad7d83ec77a9e792aef.JPG

Fortunately this time the truck was nearby to put a rope on it and save my sore neck and back muscles...

With this recent heavy rain I went over yesterday morning to check things out and found this.

IMG_4728.thumb.JPG.6a2116cd6cc3c01d04d7a9d2dbb00e97.JPG

Would one know the the house basement is unfinished and only utilitarian and it is dry as a bone but being as low as it is the garage had about an 1 inch of water for the first four feet!!

Went home that afternoon after firing up fans and the Special to help ride the dampness to fine our basement wall was seeping in my hobby / train room...

Towel, fans and making sure things are off the floor was fun but nothing I guess like what has been total flooding out in the Detroit area.

Meantime, waiting for the valuation to be completed on the Dynasty for my brother-in-law so he can pay the required 13% tax and other government costs when he transfers the ownership / title hopefully by Friday... and trying to fit my outside work in the mix.

I still have to earn a living yet as I'm free to do since mandatory retirement at age 65 is no longer mandated...

One good thing possibly happening is there might be a road trip in my future.

I responded to a post Lance had made asking about seats for a Roadmaster he has and looks like the seats out of my Limited parts car might suit his needs. I need to verify something before we finalise the deal but with being some 5 hours away and crossing a border, meeting part way might be the best way to go.

Forecast today is for rain between 1 to 2 inches this afternoon on into the evening... and the fun continues!

After a week of rain and some water in the garage, decided after work to take the Special out and dry off any moisture. The temperature was above 60 so left the top down and with no particular destination in mind at first, decided to go by a friend's to see how his Riviera refurbish was coming along. 

He is waiting for his motor to be completed but showed me his completely restored intake and dual carbs. They are beautiful! (sorry no pictures)

Daryl likes my car and gently suggested to go for a ride so off we went.

We ended up at another friends finding him out cutting his lawn (hay field??) and he ribbed us about looking cool out riding around with the top down! I think he was jealous...

IMG_4744.thumb.JPG.675a9f873f45419ef6b15a5b2d769207.JPG

Joe thought he might possibly get his Monarch out as it was the last car parked of the 6 others in his garage after his lawn work and head out for supper with his brother.

IMG_4743.thumb.JPG.501c6cca71f52385ce6d03edbc513d57.JPG

Headed back to Daryl's to drop him off and went on back to park the Special taking the expressway this time. With a full tank of gas opened her up and watched as traffic looked surprised this old red car was passing them!

Nice reward for a lousy week!! 😎 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

OK, family...

Finished installing license plates for the brother-in-law and final instructions today.

No it isn't a Buick but...

He's on the road and seems happy.

IMG_4753.thumb.JPG.2516b393b683f1c42fcd220737b0a9ee.JPG

This car is very much on par with my Cougar...

Din't see any change with the gauges so...

Told him to watch the gas gauge and fill it up on Friday just to be sure not to run out of fuel. Meantime he signed up for our CAA (AAA) just in case that happened to him. 

Really a nice car much on the order of my Cougar but... he's on the road again.

Edited by dei (see edit history)

Interesting couple of days...

Rain is the "Order of the day" lately and took advantage two days ago of a slight break to cut my front lawn before the next rain cloud moved in again. Finished the whole front and had to go in the house for a phone call which lasted about 20 minutes. I had left the mower over by the neighbours driveway planning on cutting his front too as he has gone away for two weeks.

I went out and thought, where'd I leave my mower?

DANG! It walked off the property!!! 😖

The air was now blue and my wife came out to find what the ruckus was. She said we should jump in the truck and drive around to see whether we might possibly catch who ever took it. Right then to add insult to injury, it started to rain again! 

I feel like that cartoon guy who walks around with a rain cloud over his head... 

So, that effort was fruitless (as expected) and had a restless night planning on locking everything up we own. (yes I know... like the effort of locking the barn door after the horse has gotten out. :blink:)

After getting up yesterday and finding the "Order of the day" was for more rain, spent the morning pricing out new mowers and walked out wondering just when did things double in two years???

My stolen Toro was a commercial grade self propelled model and naturally it was out of stock so put a reluctant down payment on one and decided I needed a diversion to cool my burned ego!

With a deal pending regarding my Limited parts car seats I had promised to look at my Roadmaster convertible for Lance out in storage first. The drivers seat back rests too far back and couldn't remember exactly what the issue was. My original plan was to save the Limited seat back as a replacement or parts of it to repair the Roadmaster seat. 

After a phone call to the owner of the storage place for access I was off and left the mower issue behind.

I've posted a picture of the car before and it is a future project that happened to come along way back when I was a kid. The price was right and the storage rate is great ...

IMG_1069_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.67f293bb700828d5edab8788eb37df7e.jpg

With light rain it was good to be inside even if it is tight but was able to take the seat back off and put it in the back of my truck to bring home and determine what the next move will be. 

I also grabbed a bunch of of unmarked car keys I had because I wasn't sure what was in the trunk and couldn't put my hands on the specific Roadmaster key.

On the first try I was able to unlock the trunk so maybe things were going to turn around?

IMG_4756.thumb.JPG.c99f42c6a0022c56e8ae291884a304ab.JPG

Not too much in there but was pleased to see the card board side panels are there for patterns at least.

After a brief conversation and thank you to the owner I headed back to the garage with the Special and decided to clean things up after seeing what was going on with the frame.

IMG_4757.thumb.JPG.74aa2a726ea964645ce7dd579bb2fdfb.JPG

I knew the car was abused when I bought it but can't figure how the bracket was broken off like that?? The car was never hit but has the usual dings and scrapes carelessness brings.

Using some old soft furry seat covers I placed the seat back on the trunk of the Special and then started to cleaned up the bird droppings and years of dust / dirt, again keeping my mind off the pending cost of a new mower while it drizzled out.

IMG_4760.thumb.JPG.10065e4b913281838e0dec49adf2cc7d.JPG 

With surprising results I kept at it, first the back...

IMG_4763.thumb.JPG.17b2d29beb4f6face69a2ff9db7c290a.JPG

And then the front.

(before)

IMG_4761.thumb.JPG.fc87abee42ece79dd8e4d0ed9f81c191.JPG

(and after)

IMG_4762.thumb.JPG.458197d96ac78b372798d43df2437a88.JPG

They are not perfect but with an estimated price of $15,000 to re-upholster the complete interior (including door panels and carpets) for the Roadmaster & Limited series convertibles in the correct factory materials many years ago, I'm thinking it would pass for a driver for awhile.

Now to decide what to do to fix the bracket issue and keep the Limited seat back together for Lance...

I also grabbed one of the back seat ashtrays to clean up. These have the chrome knob/grab handles to open the lid compared to the black plastic on the Special series.

It looks good also considering having been there this long. Will get the other one next time...

IMG_4765.thumb.JPG.167e2cc23351d7f06abbb3dfe2776581.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

After gassing up the Riding Mower this morning and cutting the grass where Special is I dragged out the seat from the Limited parts car to compare the seat bracket.

IMG_4766.thumb.JPG.8784052977e63b9ce7d455e62cf969fe.JPG

I'm not sure I have that curved piece anywhere but will have to check out a bow or two up in the attic of the garage at home. Sure would help if it is around and get it welded back i rather than looking for another seat back and have it re-upholstered.

With that shelved for now I get a call hearing the mower just came in so with more grass to gut, went and settled up. 

IMG_4769.thumb.JPG.067bc695021b4968877f99fa317eeb48.JPG

Interesting that for the money I paid they didn't even fill it up with gas...

Currently parked in the LOCKED Shed!!

• Like 1

Another rainy on and off day today so went back to the garage with the Special and started with cleaning up some things and came across the rims from the parts car Limited.

I think one is quite rusted beyond using and the other appears to be the Special series (smaller) but the other was in better condition requiring just some sanding and paint.

The tires on the Limited at home are old and bias ply right now. They are not holding air so thinking I will put the old radials from the Special on the car as rollers.

Took a few moments to sand this one and brush a coat of paint on.

IMG_4771.thumb.JPG.23a3491cdb318f95f53d8b0a097ac7b8.JPG

I will dig around a bit and find one more, have the two radial tires mounted and swap out the tires and rims on the car to be able to roll it in and out as needed without having to air them up every time.  

Went back after work today John and found a 2nd rim to clean up then paint but took this shot of the one I painted already. I only scuffed the front but wire wheeled the inside so maybe what looks like rust in the picture is the bit of paint I didn't clean off before putting the red paint on?

IMG_4780.thumb.JPG.201a300e8f2b4236629753dc63759d29.JPG

In other news...

I get a call from the wife in the afternoon saying there was a note with a name and a phone number asking if he had stolen my lawn mower? 

Made the call and with apologies all over the conversation he came by tonight and I have it back with sharpened blades.

Goes to show there are some good people when they realise they made a mistake! 👍

• Like 3

My son went to Colorado last week for work and while in Denver getting ready to come home look what he saw.

20190505_103349.thumb.jpg.23e68b5b7e2355e40b6e584db5663c29.jpg

20190505_100449.thumb.jpg.c977797993cbcfd9505517253ec11cfb.jpg

The group of engineers he was with were quite thrilled to see something like this in as good a shape as it is but were taken aback when Mark said he grew up with his Dad having four 1958 Buicks and that he had actually driven my Special Convertible.

Anyone recognise this car as being in the BCA?

It sure is a beauty!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dei said:

get a call from the wife in the afternoon saying there was a note with a name and a phone number asking if he had stolen my lawn mower? 

Lesson learned -- next time you go in to yak on the phone or take a 'nature' break, remove the "Free to a good home" sign from your mower first!  :huh:

1 hour ago, EmTee said:

Lesson learned -- next time you go in to yak on the phone or take a 'nature' break, remove the "Free to a good home" sign from your mower first!  :huh:

Yes I have to own that part EmTee. In fact the man said that he occasionally picks up mowers out at the road because he cleans them up and lists them for sale so didn't think to knock on the door and ask either, but after looking at mine later soon realised it was in too good a condition to be left for junk!

In an even more twist to this experience, when I explained my 20 minute absence, his 20 year old son explained he had cut lawns in the area (right on the corner from me) and had seen my Special occasionally. He hopes to have an old car one day. 

They live at the far end of my long street and again I expressed my gratitude for taking the effort to make things right. I also said that maybe later we can go for a coffee and possibly share a laugh over this? 

Life is too short to stay in a dark place...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On this festive Mother's Day I was able to sneak away for a few hours over to the Special to explore the drivers seat bracket shape and size.

I needed to take the back off the car and compare if indeed the bracket is similar for the Special series and the Roadmaster / Limited (or amongst all the series).

Started with removal of the side panel to access the "C" clip which holds the bracket on the pivot bar.

IMG_4782.thumb.JPG.0d82a25d4fd958960de1f6b73d8636cd.JPG

I next pulled off the side panel before taking the clip off.

Looking at it at this point it sure looks like it is standard but wanted to set the seat next to the Limited one and compare.

IMG_4783.thumb.JPG.e447f680b52fb8ff8264ebdbc44f4dba.JPG

Yes the Special seats are really showing their age but hey, what you see is original to the car, it should look well worn at 61 years old!

• Like 1

Once it was out I placed it beside the Limited seat.

IMG_4784.thumb.JPG.678f4b4cc74063d1d392a2b0d5178f09.JPG

It would appear that the curved piece is the same and welded to the seat frame specific to the series seat frames.

(From the Special)

IMG_4788.thumb.JPG.d91e30fcc0ae69f854936ae3a480d119.JPG

(From the Limited)

IMG_4787.thumb.JPG.f4f36ff2ec468913e72c6fef908be534.JPG

Now to find a seat that will donate that bracket to fix the Roadmaster seat.

Meantime I'm going to continue removing the rest of the seat from the Special to clean and lubricate the seat adjusting slides. I suspect there is next to nothing in the way of lubricant on them...

Feeling better about Lance getting the seats complete and not putting him in the hunt for a good seat back.

• Like 4

Doug, I will find you your seat back one way or the other if no leads come up to you.  I already have my bloodhounds sniffing one out.

Your seat is just what I need with the full bolsters and trim, so I know a donor from a lesser model is out there!

Thanks so much for the help.  Now that I think I've passed the threshold of critical parts needed, it's probably about time I start a thread on that car soon, though it will be a slow burner.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lancemb said:

Doug, I will find you your seat back one way or the other if no leads come up to you.  I already have my bloodhounds sniffing one out.

Your seat is just what I need with the full bolsters and trim, so I know a donor from a lesser model is out there!

Thanks so much for the help.  Now that I think I've passed the threshold of critical parts needed, it's probably about time I start a thread on that car soon, though it will be a slow burner.

Appreciate the help on the quest for that bracket Lance. 

At least if I have a complete seat back on hand it will accomplish what I intended for the parts car Limited seat for down the road with the Roadmaster. 

Meantime I'm going to removed the front seat on the Special to clean up the tracks as it doesn't move very well at all. 

IMG_4790.thumb.JPG.6e12efdba9f37e21856b0249b3b41db2.JPG 

Being a convertible, it is a lot easier to get it out of the car compared to a hardtop. 

Going to replace the red kick panel too. The original just disintegrated and I had grabbed the one out of the Roadmaster which really sticks out but hey, it did the job (I guess...).

It is an example of the difference in size between the small series and senior series cars. I had to bend it a bit to fit the smaller space. 

I've seen the cardboard panels on eBay for what seems reasonable price but will look for a direct buy from  Cars or one of the other Buick suppliers.

Looking forward to bringing the Limited seats to Jim's and the road trip out to you this weekend.

Will be posting the journey / fun.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dei said:

Appreciate the help on the quest for that bracket Lance. 

At least if I have a complete seat back on hand it will accomplish what I intended for the parts car Limited seat for down the road with the Roadmaster. 

Meantime I'm going to removed the front seat on the Special to clean up the tracks as it doesn't move very well at all. 

IMG_4790.thumb.JPG.6e12efdba9f37e21856b0249b3b41db2.JPG 

Being a convertible, it is a lot easier to get it out of the car compared to a hardtop. 

Going to replace the red kick panel too. The original just disintegrated and I had grabbed the one out of the Roadmaster which really sticks out but hey, it did the job (I guess...).

It is an example of the difference in size between the small series and senior series cars. I had to bend it a bit to fit the smaller space. 

I've seen the cardboard panels on eBay for what seems reasonable price but will look for a direct buy from  Cars or one of the other Buick suppliers.

Looking forward to bringing the Limited seats to Jim's and the road trip out to you this weekend.

Will be posting the journey / fun.

Doug, I have a set of kick panels for a 57 Super new, never used.  I don't know if they will fit exactly or not, but if not probably could be made to.  They would need to be painted red though (I think they are black or gray).  They are yours if you want them.

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)

2 hours ago, lancemb said:

Doug, I have a set of kick panels for a 57 Super new, never used.  I don't know if they will fit exactly or not, but if not probably could be made to.  They would need to be painted red though (I think they are black or gray).  They are yours if you want them.

Will talk to you about them and see if they will work.

If they are black that is perfect as they would be for the Special. 

See you soon.

Stole a few hours this evening to address some cleanup of trim on the Special.

I noticed the seat back panel and the base panel were looking tired so put a brass wire wheel to them. 

IMG_4791.thumb.JPG.b690cede03a1b5cb35494c356a12d979.JPG

A bit of cleaning on the seat back and some paint... voila!

IMG_4800.thumb.JPG.3bed1e41c502a66901c1f78cba155e84.JPG

Naturally could not stop there as the door trim paint was worn off so again put the wheel to it.

Took all the paint and rust off before painting.

IMG_4798.thumb.JPG.16ec879d98b4560ac25b13a71cd22651.JPG

Pleased with how it turned out as it was almost 70 today and the rattle can worked nicely.

IMG_4802.thumb.JPG.c09d0669014210f5b25acd19c97887d8.JPG

Between paint drying I looked up and the re-chromed rear bumper parts were staring me in the face sitting on the shelf.

IMG_4803.thumb.JPG.ebd3ff22ac341457aec31035e528a7c0.JPG

I'm really going to have to put them on before heading to Ohio next year...

IMG_4804.thumb.JPG.e88117fd511904dbd9a866f19a6162bc.JPG

Wondering if there is a way to save this decal? 

It is a part of the provenance of the car I'd really like to save.

IMG_4806.thumb.JPG.286cb527556c741fb16f431c2620506f.JPG

• Like 1

Weekly Cruise-in's have started this month and with heavy rain on the Monday evening one stayed home. Last night has been the bigger of the weeks in the past car count wise but with a 20% chance of rain showers wasn't expecting that many. 

I needed to put the trim back together I had taken off and painted and other than one hole that was requiring a bigger screw due to being worn, It went well and happy with the small improvements.

IMG_4809.thumb.JPG.a0b903c37a0db5bd86ab1a0fb9bf905c.JPG

I went at the sill plate with the metal cleaner and it came out better than new for an often scratched and destroyed part!

Checked the sky, backed her out and called my wife.

IMG_4810.thumb.JPG.6adde9e0fd16f28f9b6b71c37e36cfba.JPG

Well... seeing a blue sky off to the north headed out anyway with the top down and sure enough it started to shower. It was then that I decided to pull into the gas station which had that big roof over the 9 pumps and picked the very middle pump.

It was a good time to slowly fill up and check the oil!

Then it cleared a bit so decided to head on out knowing the car gathering was likely over but what the hey, the car won't melt and neither will we!

This place is on the other side of the City and traveled the main 4 lane road taking our time. Should have seen the looks from people passing us with our top down on the wet roads!

Naturally the lot was empty as expected except for one brad new Corvette. It had only 400 miles on it and the owner was thrilled to talk about it...

Got a chance to say goodbye finally as we said wanted to go for supper. Went back the way we came and ended up at a place quite popular close to home so parked out in the parking lot taking up two spots where I hoped no one would nick her with their doors.

IMG_4811.thumb.JPG.29918e655ef0ef2825c4bcc3e71d955e.JPG

The skies were not as bad looking so left the top down and took advantage of the $10 burger and fries special.

Came out and look what was parked close by.

IMG_4815.thumb.JPG.b6ce7e43eb58195a65fb41bdd567b6f8.JPG

It was a beautiful 1967 Cadillac who apparently had the same idea we had.

IMG_4812.thumb.JPG.f9165e6e283f742a47791dd9f4eb5b46.JPG

I haven't seen this car before and the owner wasn't there but expect to see him sometime later at one of the Cruse-in's.

Dropped the wife off at home and had a nice drive back to the garage in the evening now dry air. Not a big trip but feeling better about the cars performance every time out.

IMG_4816.thumb.JPG.bc9b10a5d939fe069a9a3ecdd9b90a8b.JPG

• Like 1

Howdy,

Anybody knows a place/person who can fix the Temp Hose I accidentally emptied as I removed the Gauge Cluster for Speedometer repair ($400.00).

Otherwise have to hang a Temp Clock under the Dashboard 😐.

11.jpg

• Like 1

ROAD TRIP

Having planned to meet up with 1957buickjim early Sunday morning I spent the afternoon Saturday pulling the seats of the Limited parts car out of the shed and load into my truck.

IMG_4827.thumb.JPG.3ce4993be761315d529c8c80af2066a4.JPG

The heaviest part was the front seat bottom with it's 6 way power seat bars and frame still attached. Fortunately my son came by at just the right time to assist hoisting it out of the parts car and into the box of my truck.

IMG_4824.thumb.JPG.96bd08edbf9afbc058e92383038a03bb.JPG

Yes they are quite ratty condition wise but lancemb has a purpose/use for them which I will let him post that story not to spoil his excitement.

This also served my purpose to keep peace at home moving things out! To be continued there...

With a forecast of possible rain overnight I used a cover and hoped crossing the Border wasn't going to be an issue.

IMG_4829.thumb.JPG.e03b099b1b97751f779dfa6769219e0f.JPG

The plan was to be at Jim's around 8 am and just like a young kid expecting Xmas, was up early in anticipation of the day!

Fortunately the traffic was minimal and after asking the obligatory "What is the purpose of your visit to the US?" I answered saying I'm bringing over used seats from my 1958 Buick parts car to give to a fellow Buick owner. He briefly glanced at the back of the truck from his chair in the booth seeing the covered pile and asked, "When are you returning to Canada?". I said it would be late after supper.

He handed me my Passport and said, "Have a nice day."

Buick cars, Buick friends and a road trip, you bet I will! 😁

I have been to Jim's on several occasions but brought the GPS (I call her Gypsy) showing I would be there at 7:50 AM.

IMG_4837.thumb.JPG.75eb4f45e674b4aeeb06a4c73b206196.JPGPulling onto the last road before his place look what I saw.

As you can see the day was starting out warm and sunny so had to capture this shot.

IMG_4838.thumb.JPG.84babb1bd66f2360a8a7e70b5afd2787.JPG

Jim backed up his Flex and the U-haul covered trailer to load up his portable engine hoist and we put the seats into the trailer. Double checked for some tools and off we went for the approximate 4 hour drive.

When we arrived Lance had his beautiful '57 Roadmaster out marking his home for us.

Jim's reason to come here was to retrieve a supposedly rebuilt 364 with a transmission attached, hence bringing the engine lift which Lance had travelled west and back to get for Jim.

IMG_4840.thumb.JPG.85171503f2fd1023de827f59d0a5952a.JPG

After some car talk we unloaded the seats which Lance seemed thrilled to get, brought out the engine hoist and proceeded to load up the "boat anchor" motor and transmission from Lance's truck to the trailer with some effort!

Once secured and some other parts exchanged we said goodbye and headed home to Jim's. 

By now traffic was heavier and the skies looked threatening so we decided to stop for a bite. While inside doesn't the sky open up like it is the start of the Fourty Days and Fourty Nights!

With no choice we headed on for the final leg to Jim's and saw the occasional driver that lost control and was in the median with Police and tow trucks slowing the traffic flow but finally arrived at Jim's unscathed.

By now the daylight was dimming and Jim had to move his vehicles for us to unload the trailer of the motor and transmission.

His Special started right up and he is driving her to the National this year caravanning with Cardinal95 who is bring his Caballero. (in a trailer though)

IMG_4841.thumb.JPG.4f8d8dae88f742408e74f693dcf4b0dc.JPG

That hoist sure was put to good use!

IMG_4843.thumb.JPG.a2644ea2fd390dde39f6f98611cc9efc.JPG

Jim had to decide whether to separate the engine and trany but with getting the odd sprinkle of rain we both thought of doing this.

IMG_4844.thumb.JPG.77b650bf43e174b0f0359360dec77162.JPG

Part of the motor/transmission deal was this fixed up frame from a 57 Buick so it made sense to put it to use and cover it for the night.

Finally it was time for me to head home and at the Border the fellow asked, "How long was I away?" then asked, "Did I received or purchase anything? I showed him a pair of '58 front turn signal chrome rings Lance had given me and said they were a gift but worth maybe 40 dollars. He handed me my Passport and said, "Have a good night".

I walked into a dark house at 12:15 and my wife asked if I got rid of those seats?

Yes Dear.... 😁 (MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!)

What a Buickfull day!!!  😎

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Hey Doug,

Great time yesterday! The eight plus hours in a car for the International Buick parts transfer was flawlessly a blast! It was a fun time traveling with you and just having Buick fun! Thanks for all your help and the fine conversation on our trip. It sure made the trip go a lot faster.

Glad the BP was lenient with you (haha) and you made it back safe and sound. We will definitely have to get together again for another International Buick rad trip. Maybe next time, we will go to that place south of Detroit, Windsor!

Thanks again my friend. It was a pleasure to have you as a traveling partner, rain and shine!

Jim

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Likewise Jim!

As stated on our trip, meeting you, Joe, Lance and Larry plus connecting with others via the Forums has been a great motivator to get back at my Buick's. 

It was indeed a pleasure talking with you. Man was I horse Monday! 🤣 😀

Lance just sent a PM and has found a seat for me that looks like it will work so is finalising details to get it. I suggested if it is alright with you for him to send it to you giving me an excuse to get together again.

Maybe you can take me for a ride in the Special?

Ok should be close to getting your seat.  He needs to pull it off and pack it up.  I will probably have it sent directly to Jim.  Hope the thing doesn't get broken in shipping!  Looks really solid so should not be an issue.

As for the decal on your bumper, use a flat razor blade (not in a holder) and slowly work it downward while gently holding it with your other hand.  Have a piece of waxed paper waiting ton stick it on.  You can then choose a quality adhesive to apply a thin coat of to reapply it if you like.  I've removed some old stickers this way quite successfully!

Btw let me know how those kick panrls fit!  Hope they work out, perhaps with a small trim.  Then you can put the red ones comfortably back in the Roadmaster.

Thanks again for the seats!  They will go to good use...

• Thanks 1

Before the road trip I had taken the two painted rims and the old tires from the Special to be put on and they were ready to be brought home from my mechanics.

1463660932_IMG_4848-May212019.thumb.JPG.71c4e3dfba3c9fb9c2bc34a2b5577449.JPG

I put them inside the garage to put on the Limited later. These are only rollers for her and maybe a short test drive later when she is put back together...

1241002125_IMG_4849-May212019.thumb.JPG.0cb814d48b1b4e0de48a2b5e44bc1f7f.JPG

Yesterday went inside, grabbed the jack and before taking the old rim and tire off checked the pressure. Dang if it wasn't soft! Took it outside and threw it back into my truck to drop off in the morning. 

Today I received a call from the garage saying it was fixed. Guess the new fat valve stem was not sealing... I will get the tire swapped out this weekend, get them to take the old bias ply tires off the rims, clean and paint them up and bring back to have the other two roller tires put on. 

I will then be able to roll the Limited out and back in without having to fill the tires up each time!

• Like 2

Today after work I had to move the Special out to access equipment for a job tomorrow and once loaded up looked at her sitting there and decided to go for a ride. Before closing the garage door my wife called to say my son called the house to ask if we could go over and let the dog out as both he and his girlfriend (soon to be wife) were working late and the dog would likely have to go out. Now I know why I got a key...

Timing is everything in life i guess.

Sure enough it was a good thing I was there to let her out as she was pulling on her collar as I hooked up her chain.

She's a smart lab apparently as she has an eye for a Buick. 😁

IMG_4857.thumb.JPG.b412c8113551bb75bab3605d2fc7539f.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Took Sunday off (sort of...) to attend the Can-Am Nationals Car Show.

The day looked promising at 7 am but with forecast for rain after 3pm.

This is their 45th event and is usually held at Gilmore Park in LaSalle, Ontario. This park is on the Detroit River with a small marina / public launch ramp and cars park on the nicely groomed grass.

This year with the high water levels and all the rain we have been having the Town fathers decided to ensure the event was moved to avoid the obvious damage that would have happened.

To the rescue came the local Chevrolet Dealership who moved all it's inventory off the large paved lot. Thanks Reaume Chevrolet!

I managed to park in the middle of the show which is well attended.

IMG_4874.thumb.JPG.4504d7b4d9e7bdcc433571b37363f82e.JPG

This is the first actual car show for the Buick this year and got a few good compliments on her.

One block from where I keep the Special is a fellow I have been keeping in touch with as he found this 1971 Corvette locally that had been sitting in the guys driveway for some 16 years.

I sat in one like it at the new car show in 1971 at Cobo Hall in Detroit and if I could have afforded one, it is my personal choice for a Corvette.

IMG_4875.thumb.JPG.29017a31a9415863645d5cafa3438ad8.JPG

Not unlike my Special it has some issues but think I convinced him to attend anyway.

He plans to have the car painted back to it's original blue which again was the same colour as the one I saw back when new.

Being a rod show there were still a lot of originals to see but... 

This Buick caught my eye.

IMG_4881.thumb.JPG.5d1cae07478a91535638fc511d1cb092.JPG

Clearly it's modified but is impressive.

This one appeared stock (not sure).

IMG_4879.thumb.JPG.32e57d98508c8a8883ef1fe3408298e7.JPG

This REO appeared stock so had to investigate.

IMG_4886.thumb.JPG.9ec7261ba98a450e06156acfe7b4beb7.JPG

Under the hood was a nice surprise short of the non stock alternator.

IMG_4888.thumb.JPG.f397b48d6edc6be83baa507b86cbbbe0.JPG

Looking inside the car was nicely redone but found the front seats were the big Cadillac / Lincoln high backs in it.

I had to think, Your Car, do with as you like.

As the morning wore on watched the skies as it started to look like this with the ocassional dark spot.

IMG_4890.thumb.JPG.8d470027d2275629439ee64a3cb23af8.JPG 

By noon sure enough, it sprinkle and by the time I got back to the car was soaked through my shirt while putting the top up. 

Now the car show was pretty much over so headed back to her garage putting on the heat to help dry things up inside.

IMG_4893.thumb.JPG.abe94ae81c82d85f5086ee302fb9ccc7.JPG

No real harm with the interior and as one of my fellow car owners says, "They won't melt".

Timing being what it was regarding the rain out of the car show, I planned to go with my son to head out to our winter storage place and bring home my Cougar and his Mustang anyway.

The owner was ready waiting for us and we reconnected the batteries trusting they would fire up.

IMG_4896.thumb.JPG.ea86706c314cb5845c57ec61bdda9e62.JPG

All went well there and just had to take a shot of George's beautiful Chevrolet.

IMG_4895.thumb.JPG.4132c6a949071eeccfc490ba3738c5bd.JPG

Naturally the second round of rain hit for the drive home but moved on when arriving back in the City.

I followed them back to their house as the plan was to help him move some things in his garage to be able to park the Mustang inside. With sitting for a celebratory beer together with one of his buddies, that plan was derailed so said goodbye and went the long way home.

IMG_4901.thumb.JPG.c42f4536863ce13f08973895316a72f5.JPG

When we had our boat we used to keep it down the road at a marina that was simple but reasonable so headed that way to reminisce and check it out.

IMG_4905.thumb.JPG.e46968ee9ca2266ea52bf705ce472343.JPG

The place is really looking run down and with the water high, boy my wife would not be please having to climb up into the boat.

IMG_4908.thumb.JPG.78700a791d4ce254183c6801624e6a6d.JPG

I miss boating in general but have my cars to keep me occupied. 

Next weekend is the Fleetwood Country Cruise-in so keeping fingers crossed the rain will be gone!!

• Like 2

Every Car Has A Story.

Ended up at the Special yesterday after work to do a cleanup from the rainy day at the car show Sunday. I had the hood open and started wiping things down and noticed some things.

I've stated bits a pieces of her throughout this thread but looking under the hood thought I'd put it all together.

With my first car being Dad's 1958 Buick Limited (parts car now), Buick's with all their chrome were in my blood!

Dad had signed me up as a member of the local car club when I was 12 and had the appreciation of the cars Dad had and listened to the views members held for their cars. 

In August of 1972 one member called the house and said be thought he had a car I might be interested in and should come out and see it.

Talked to Dad to meet him there and set out quite anxious to see this,

1489773069_58Special-Dayofpurchase@KenMcKenzies1972.thumb.jpg.81f6342c6dfd9df768cbc96596f4c59b.jpg 

What teenage kid wouldn't want a convertible let alone a RED one and bonus, have two '58 Buick's??!!

While waiting for Dad to arrive Mr. McKenzie told me how he came to own it.

Ken was an Insurance Agent in a small town and insured this car for a young man who had gone out west (Calgary, Alberta, Canada) for work driving a Volkswagon Beetle. While out there the engine broke down and back then they were not plentiful enough to get a used engine so he found the Special as his transportation. 

At some point the man decided to come back to Ontario and Ken insured the car. 

Ken said that the man was finding it difficult to find work and at some point signed over the ownership (title) to Ken in lieu of payment for the insurance due.

Ken knew Dad had the Limited through the Club and didn't realise I had it when I got my drivers license but I was there and interested. 

Dad was delayed for some reason and being the times not having cell phones, I shook Ken's hand and said I'd buy it! No money changed hands as I believe I only had 20 bucks in my wallet but Ken seemed fine with a hand shake and I said I would be back with the money...

I had about 200 in the bank and I agreed to pay 500 for it so had to think how I was going to ask Dad for the balance...

I had a date in the works so said I had to go without meeting up with Dad.

Next day we caught up and discussed what had happened and he told me I'd better get a second job cause he wasn't going to cover the difference!

Come to the recuse, my grandmother who said I could give her the money when I could. I think Dad was furious with the situation but went along with his mother after she said, I'm happy to see you all be helped while I'm alive. Thank you Grandma!

I mention the finances because like all kids, money wasn't flush but I had to have this red ragtop!

I did work whatever job I could find and at Xmas that year handed her 100 bucks in an envelope saying I would get more as I could.

Later that day she took me aside and told me to not worry about the 200 as she wanted that to be my Xmas gift from her. She was always my favourite grandmother but now even more so! 😍

The car was not without it's issues like the leaky torque ball seal, tended to get hot in traffic and the top motor was slow but hey, the summers sure were fun with that top down.

Now, bringing it up to today, I mentioned being under the hood.

When you look up close at the paint it is obvious the car was repainted at some point before I bought it. You could see around the trim that it was never removed and some tape marks and red over spray was clearly seen here and there. 

Over the years I have cleaned most of the red off the trim and recently touched up the tape marks with a close red paint and fine tip brushes so from 20 feet it doesn't look too bad??

She's my driver and as some say, doing what I want with it cause it's mine.

The original colour from the factory was Reef Coral a Duco product # 246-59589 and can understand why someone would change it to red!

Yes it would be worth more having the original paint but... I'd need to buy a felt or furry hat to driver her!! 🤣

This is what prompted me to tell her story as I cleaned up what is going to be the last signs of that pink.

IMG_4911.thumb.JPG.37400845525be1b4f9b75d012fb93c21.JPG

I put a little cleaner and wax on that area and will continue to poke away at the paint on the weather seal. Will have to take a picture outside in the daylight as it looks more cream coloured than reef coral under the garage lights.

IMG_4912.thumb.JPG.10c3483b754904c34925f04d6be36f17.JPG

It will never be a Show Car or Trailer Queen but love seeing reactions on peoples faces when I answer their question, "How long have you had it?" and tell them, "Since High School".

Like most things, it's about the journey.

Planning on being at the 2020 Nationals and watch peoples reactions. It should be fun!

• Like 6

Great Story Doug! What a cool and fine grandmother you had. Funny how parents can be when their parents step in to help..Can't wait to Car-a van to 2020 nationals with you and Joe in our Buicks! What a great trip that will be! One more chapter to the journey for sure!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 1957buickjim said:

Great Story Doug! What a cool and fine grandmother you had. Funny how parents can be when their parents step in to help..Can't wait to Car-a van to 2020 nationals with you and Joe in our Buicks! What a great trip that will be! One more chapter to the journey for sure!

Thanks Jim!

Yes about Parents...

On the one hand Dad gave me his then daily driver Buick Limited explaining that he felt better with me driving a full sized car and not one of those hopped up loud things some of my friends had and then... let me know he wasn't going to be "The Bank of Dad!"

We all know how that feeling goes when we are teens, that love / hate thing!

Life teaches you many things and with having two boys of my own, I was able to say to Dad that I was happy he lived long enough for him to see the many things I made him go through had come back to me!!

He parted this world knowing he had done his best, our relationship was strong and knew I had acquired his love of cars!!

Testing the Special Saturday as I'm driving the Special to the Fleetwood Country Cruise-in some 120 miles away with two car buddies rain or shine!

This show was one I went to last year and is a spectacular fund raising event.

It is held on a private man's 101 acre land just outside London, Ontario.

It is said that Steve Plunkett has the largest collection of V16 Cadillacs in Canada.

It is a fantastic collection and to his credit / ability he had a building built specially to display those cars. His fascination is such that this building was built to represent the New York Hotels where these cars were displayed in the Salons back in the day.

IMG_3169_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.3bb34a4a954f46db4688c661d065469d.jpg

IMG_3161.thumb.JPG.6ba2371b9e89aefb4fa929cc76a3aabf.JPG

It should be a fun (long) day!

My motivation to be there helps with the fact Steve has two '58 Buicks too!

IMG_3212_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.ce72fcbaac7a361393438fb557203332.jpg

There is that journey thing again...

• Like 3

With the pending trip to a Car Show in London, Ontario and two passengers aboard, I did the mandatory checks for things to make the trip successful after work Friday.

One issue I was having was the front seat was moving some without me touching the release knob so after vacuuming the carpets checked to find the brackets holding the seat frame to the floor had somehow loosened up and the back bolt on the drivers side was missing...

A little PB Blaster, another bolt and that was fixed.

I also was troubled with a rattle noise from what I suspected was the muffler hitting the frame so backed her out and slid underneath to check that out.

Inspection proved that the rear tail pipe clamp had a broken clamp allowing the system to allow the muffler to rattle against the frame. 

I looked on some shelves and came up with one so put it to use.

IMG_4923.thumb.JPG.c06a96b2262e54943c26034f1b4e7f9b.JPG

Knowing I was going to be up early decided to take the Special home so with the empty space in the garage pulled the Cougar inside to get it out from all the maple keys that are falling and sitting on the white paint!!

IMG_4925.thumb.JPG.635b72da35cac66f22e843a28ba3cbaf.JPG

First time the car has been in here for a long time since inheriting it from the original owner...

• Like 1

Saturday morning came early (5 am) and headed out to pick up two of my fellow car guys that wanted to attend the London Car Show.

The morning was cool out so left the top up and had the heat on for our comfort but the day was looking good as to the forecast.

I had to reassure my passengers to look at my GPS to see that I was NOT exceeding the speed limit the speedometer was showing. (Actual speed was 90kms = 55mph). This issue will be addressed this winter but that is for later...

IMG_4960.thumb.JPG.fa91d1c8a67dd153edf2799bb5546aa0.JPG

Being some 130 miles and the early hour, arrived without incident which was nice and made me happy that the 2020 national will happen without incident.

IMG_4955.thumb.JPG.3c67be3fc1d4486033d7698d2fc9400a.JPG

This event has been publicly announced to be the last one from host Steve Plunkett.

His charity efforts over the last 10 years is about 1.7 million dollars but like us all, retirement should be had for those who work hard.

I think the forecast might have held back the number of cars there but even so figure there must have been 1,000 or more cars to mark this final event!

We headed up to the Cadillac Salon and was not disappointed.

IMG_4926.thumb.JPG.026b3a23a0c2917a21fce88529cc6f05.JPG

IMG_4927.thumb.JPG.c6807c6c9742c293e579f1cde668d608.JPG

The grounds held various antiques, rods, originals, customs and vendors...

IMG_4930.thumb.JPG.a802b94d02a0d2326ddce63a43a49fc0.JPG

IMG_4933.thumb.JPG.495ea327fca12d59b5d2b139cbadec74.JPG

IMG_4943.thumb.JPG.800c1690e29200ee1b3e4b53bacf8adb.JPG

IMG_4941.thumb.JPG.75e723cbb791ab53da3384ba25cbe3d6.JPG

IMG_4950.thumb.JPG.49e238df7228942e28205f6fe1a2a6de.JPG

IMG_4952.thumb.JPG.db61206f0049ed3d2db7a7e6bd720e02.JPG

The one unique part of this show is Steve's "Pond" which has the ability for the owners of Amphicar owners to offer the experience of a ride / boating experience safely and having FUN! 

IMG_4934.thumb.JPG.99a259caab5ff537dd4a6d4933cd56ba.JPG

IMG_4939.thumb.JPG.2811bbcc5ed45f4d9ee8092486158d11.JPG

IMG_4940.thumb.JPG.e95132766b46f391216cbdb9ba9e3df8.JPG

One could watch these amazing vehicles for hours!

After a full day it was time to head home and after a brief shower headed out....

IMG_4959.thumb.JPG.ad9fce7f597ad00dbf3b81e0ead2063c.JPG

Thinking the sky was good enough to drop the top but hearing from others that severe storms were forecast left it up. Glad we did as we soon headed into this...

IMG_4961.thumb.JPG.53b9b8648211bdc60f5bb002fd0f3e94.JPG

From this point the ride home was like driving through a hurricane!

We saw two huge trees which were blown down, all most on the road and then further up had a huge tree blow down right in front of me! I swerving across the road to the left almost onto the gravel and with seeing car headlights approaching, swerved back to the right running over some tree branches!!!  

Continued on slowly as the rain and wind were too much to stop, get out and be safe to inspect what might be damage, if any, from the branches...

The rain continued for the next 40 minutes but lessened enough to be able to drive the speed limit and finally arrived at my friends to drop him off and grab his gear.

A walk around the car showed we were lucky as no damage was evident. However, this was proof that the incident did happen.

IMG_4962.thumb.JPG.e95f2a66eced69c16ee60f2db4fd8fc1.JPG 

I opened the hood and sure enough there were more leaves on the rad but no sticks so got really lucky.

What a way to end a car show!

Mr Plunkett did announce at the awards ceremony he is retiring from doing this greatly appreciated fund raiser and can understand the passionate effort which he has put into this show.

Tony Orlando was the entertainment with dinner Saturday evening and had almost sold out by 3pm plus other musical entertainment on Friday night.

It is no small event but glad I was able to take part.

So, thinking the 2020 National is going to be a go and possibly a few more in the future rain or shine.

IMG_4963.thumb.JPG.39678a9f50967fe6fe4b6692f9946c0c.JPG

• Like 3