1913 36 model 17 in the UK

racer2_uk

Hi everybody, I am new on here and have lots of questions for the Chalmers experts,

I am looking for some 24" split rims, they may be Kelsey rims, does anybody have timing information, I would also like a spare Splitdorf model X magneto.

Just waiting for the seats to return frome the upholsterers,

Chalmers004_zps91a9a72c.jpg

Thank for any help.

Andy

• 1 month later...

Hi Chalmers friend's,

lot's of thing's have happened with the Chalmers recently, while preparing for the Curborough sprint meeting I had an exhaust valve head drop off, no damage just panic to get it fixed for the weekend, the job was done and off we went, at the event a gudgeon pin retaining bolt came out and the crankshaft played tennis with it ! now all sorted again and running well.

Curborough2013063_zps184c1a9f.jpg

Curborough2013070_zps24dea6d4.jpg

Last Monday another 1913 Chalmers 17 dropped in, it was great to compare the 2 cars that were around 300 car's apart.

Chalmers088_zps537c7187.jpg

Chalmers093_zps65adb8df.jpg

Andy

Edited by racer2_uk (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi Chalmers enthusiast's,

After getting to know "Judith" last year, on the roads and on the hill's it was fairly obvious that 100 years had taken it's toll on the performance and really given her a thirst for oil, so over the winter I have rebuilt the engine, I found piston's and valve's that I could modify to suit the car well.

The piston's I chose were alloy and from a Lister diesel generator engine, the valve's from Caterpillar D8 and D9 dozer's.

The block was rebored to take out any uneven wear and to remove the scoring on number 4 that came from a loose gudgeon pin, the piston's of the correct oversize were ordered and the modification's started, the gudgeon pin bores were sleeved to suit the little end size and the boss area's were reduced in width to suit the conrod little end's. The diesel combustion chamber's were bored out, fitted with plug's which were then welded in and the top faces skimmed down to give just a little extra compression than original.

Chalmersrebuild002_zps4285cb67.jpg

The valve's were chosen for the correct head sizes and slightly oversize stem's, this allowed the inlet valve carrier to be bored slightly to remove wear and for the block to be reamed to suit the new exhaust valve's, both set's of valve's needed to be shortened a little and have the collet location added.

Chalmersvalves002_zpsb77cc5a7.jpg

Assembling the engine went without any problems, it was so obvious that the old ring's were so worn when I turned the engine over for the first time it took all my strength to pull the handle through a half turn.

Even though the engine was tight it started easily and has settled in very well, I have now done over 150 miles with an early oil change and another due shortly, I have entered the first sprint of the year in May and hope to be a bit quicker than last year !

I am doing my best to deal with the March temperature here in the UK !

chalmers004_zps36e8bae0.jpg

Andy

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The weather has been good to us and I have now covered over 800 miles since the engine rebuild, it has had several oil changes and a recently made distributor cap.

A great day at the steam rally

Klondyke20141_zps1c8e3bae.jpg

The new distributor cap for the Splitdorf model X, does anyone have one of these mags for sale ?

Chalmersnewdistributorcap3_zps137f554e.jpg

When I had a spare day I took my fathers 1914 Daimler 20 to the International Daimler rally.

Daimlerrally041_zps3a1de817.jpg

Next event is Shelsley Walsh hillclimb

http://www.shelsley-walsh.co.uk/events/content.asp?ms=21&ei=223

Andy

Hi everybody,

another great run out on the Chalmers, this time to the The Wharf at Cheswardine classic car night on the Staffordshire/Shropshire border, the types of cars that turned up ranged from a 1920 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost to an early Citroen 2cv, with Triumph TR's, MG's, Ford RS's and TVR's in between.

Wharfclassiccarnight2014006_zpsbfffcc8e.jpg

The run there and home was great fun and without problems.

Wharfclassiccarnight2014011_zps94841cc5.jpg

I have now passed 900 miles this year and it is really bedding in well.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Evenin everybody, thanks for dropping by,

the weather has been decent and I have been out for a drive most days, over 1200 miles this year so far, I have done another oil change and everything looks good, the points and valve clearances have been checked and still good.

this week I have taken the Chalmers to two Vintage Sports Car club "pub meets", lots of nice cars in a field, good food and lots of chat.

VSCCWrenbury015_zps07322c57.jpg

Now the engine is performing better I have found a couple of times the engine has tried to "run on" when switched off, especially if it is particularly hot, I have switched to a colder spark plug, Champion W14, this has sorted the problem.

This Sunday is Shelsley Walsh hillclimb, hoping to improve on last years last place !

Andy

Quite the car! I would never have thought there were two Chalmers in the U.K. Your Speedster would fit in quite well at the Fagnes Hivernales rallye held in Belgium in February, if you could shrug off the beastly weather. Most of the cars in that are open and from 1904-1938. The Royal Veteran Car Club of Belgium puts it on.

Hi jeff_a and all,

jeff, both the model 17's are about 15 miles away from each other in the UK plus a 6 cylinder car is a regular road rally competitor here along with another model 17 in Germany, how many cars are there left in the USA and the rest of the world ?

Today was the Shelsley Walsh sprint, we had great weather in the morning but late afternoon we 2 huge downpours, my best time was 80.79 secs which is 14 seconds better than last year before the engine rebuild, although I was still last !

Back into the paddock

ShelsleyWalsh2014021_zpsf957e5b6.jpg

Back down the hill

ShelsleyWalsh2014034_zpse20e6c34.jpg

Great day, car went well, fantastic venue http://www.shelsley-walsh.co.uk/events/content.asp?ms=21&ei=223

Andy

Hello again,

I have an update from Shelsley Walsh last weekend, I wasn't last this year !

I will try to carry this on for the rest of the season.

ShelsleyWalsh2014037_zps1b99ad4f.jpg

some other cars at Shelsley Walsh,

Hardy special 3

ShelsleyWalsh2014023_zps38cd816d.jpg

Spider 2

ShelsleyWalsh2014027_zps44e31f1d.jpg

1909 FL with 1913 Vauxhall behind

ShelsleyWalsh2014048_zps56e4589f.jpg

other cars in my class were 1911 Sunbeam, 1903 Mercedes 60hp and a 1918 Stutz Bearcat

Andy

Another great run out last Sunday to Draycott village show about 20 miles away, sunny, good food, great exhibitors and lots of interesting things to see,

Draycottshow2014011_zps9b4f62dd.jpg

the Chalmers has now exceeded 1300 miles and 2 hillclimbs this year with Prescott in a couple of weeks.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

A great weekend at the VSCC Prescott hillclimb, the Chalmers went well and we bettered our handicap time by 1.3seconds, no problems with the car even after a monsoon rain shower on Saturday.

There was over 200 cars and an amazing selection of "specials" in attendance including the Napier-Bentley, a GN J A P V8, the 1905 200hp Darracq and a 16.5 litre Issotta-Fraschini powered Fiat.

Prescott2014059_zps750815f8.jpg

Prescott2014060_zps6e7090dc.jpg

Prescott2014028_zpsb6d84c67.jpg

Prescott2014010_zpsf1f3dc30.jpg

PrescottVSCCGNJAPV81_zps0f1ad3e9.jpg

Prescott2014031_zps29171b1a.jpg

http://www.prescott-hillclimb.com/events/VSCC2011.aspx

Andy

Good Morning Dwight,

I am pleased you like the Chalmers, it is a lot of fun,

car 210 is a 1905 Fiat chassis with an Isotta Frashini airship engine of 1000ci, the sound is wonderful and it is driven with great enthusiasm !

see the Fiat from 0.17 seconds here,

Andy

Hi Barry and all,

Barry, thanks for your kind thoughts, driving these wonderful cars gives us so much pleasure, we need to shout about it !

it is quite clear from your signature list that you have "more than just an interest" yourself, well done.

I will add some more photo's after the Loton Park hillclimb in a couple of weeks time, thanks again.

Andy

Andy, I will look forward to that! The best car "show" I ever attended was the Prescott hill climb ( 2008) Of course most I spoke with there said "oh but you must go to Shellsley or you must not miss Goodwood !

You are all spoiled over there! Cheers, Barry

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

This year's Loton Park hillclimb event has been another wonderful weekend with lot's of sun and a great atmosphere.

The Chalmers ran perfectly all weekend and we ended up with the Edwardian class first handicap time tankard !

Along with the Chalmers in the Edwardian class were a Buick 45, a Stutz, a Vauxhall and a Detroit built Essex.

Here are just a few photo's from the weekend.

Loton2014034_zpsf896e8e4.jpg

Loton2014016_zpsdb681f29.jpg

Rachael Williams in the supercharged JAP v-twin Hardy III special

Loton2014059_zps82834b75.jpg

the V-Twin 4.2 litre "Thunderbug"

Loton2014006_zpscf07302a.jpg

the Piccard-Pictet with a WW1 V8 Sturtevant aero engine

Loton2014074_zps104b0544.jpg

the Brazier with a WW1 V8 Hispano

Loton2014081_zpsf03fc4c7.jpg

Andy

Edited by racer2_uk (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Evenin everyone,

Now the workshop is warmer than outside it is time to get some winter job's started on the Chalmers,

the wheels have been removed and have been sent away for new wooden spokes, the gearbox and clutch have also been removed ready for a rebuild and the crown wheel and pinion maybe changed for a slightly higher ratio for a better cruising speed.

Chalmerswheels006_zpsb1e99ba8.jpg

Chalmersgearbox001_zps79827316.jpg

Chalmersgearbox009_zps46cce8e6.jpg

Chalmersengine016_zpsb07c0ba0.jpg

other than the clutch hub being very stubborn, everything has come apart quite easily.

Andy

Hi old car enthusiasts,

I have stripped the Chalmers gearbox to remove the gears and shafts to match them with a newly made set that were spare from a rebuild I have found out about.

Chalmersgearbox009_zpsb41a2963.jpg

The bearings on the gearbox shafts are a type of "roller with endfloat control", does anybody recognise them or know of a supply ? I am sorry the bearing photo is poor, I will get a better shot taken.

Chalmersgearbox011_zps5658f885.jpg

Andy

The Blue Brasier, about three postings back is the car that I had put together about 10 years ago.

V8 Hisso from the USA, chain drive gearbox from Switzerland, all the rest, proper Brasier bits from 1908, ie chassis front axle and steering, plus brake levers and all minor bits from Australia and original radiator and instruments from France.

It is a recreation of the 1904/5 Gordon Bennett Race cars, but with a later aero engine. Real hooligan fun, 100mph at 2,300 revs and I have driven it that fast.

At the VSCC Goodwood Sprint in 2010(?) the next fastest car was built in 1932, a very hot Frazer Nash.

I think your Chalmers is a fine car too. Mike

Good afternoon all,

I have collected the new gears and I have ordered a higher ratio crown wheel and pinion ready for next season.

Some of the new gears,

Chalmersgearbox001_zps8d59637b.jpg

The unusual gearbox roller bearings have all been removed safely with no damage and are in excellent condition and will be re-used.

Chalmersgearbox006_zps0003119c.jpg

Andy

• 2 months later...

You do nice work. Thanks for documenting it here, it's inspirational. That bearing is interesting. I have quite a few similar old Timkens , albeit used, and they too seem to be in good shape.

These were made before planned obsolescence reared it's ugly head.

Evening everybody,

I have got the drivetrain completed and back under the car,

Chalmersgearbox015_zps615560a4.jpg

Chalmersgearbox017_zpsb5326537.jpg

Chalmersgearbox009_zpsc3f9f586.jpg

the drive flanges are easier to torque up when everything is bolted in the chassis, these were fitted along with propshaft,

the brakes are working well and are ready for the wheels,

Chalmersgearbox022_zps2fa3e6d4.jpg

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

The Chalmers is coming together well now, I found another type of Rayfield carb that was fitted to this model in late 1913, it needed some restoration but is now fitted and the car runs well, a little fine tuning and hopefully an improvement in performance.

Chalmerscarb002_zps6affdd71.jpg

Chalmerscarb003_zps8f1a7e6e.jpg

the air start valves were leaking air badly, I have machined them internally and fitted seals on the valve stems, I am also going to check the air start timing as I think something isn't quite right, at certain times the starting air is coming out of the exhaust, this doesn't seem right.

Chalmerscarb005_zps5deeab36.jpg

when the wheels are back from having new wooden spokes fitted I have new bearings and seals to go with them and hopefully I can do some testing mileage.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Evenin everybody,

After fitting seals to the air start valves I found the system was still not able to turn over the engine well enough for it to start, there was a question of the "air start timing" being out as well as another leak, this was found to be from the dash push valve, so it was removed from the car, stripped down, modified to carry a seal on the rocker end of valve stem "T" and refitted.

I removed the top cover off the air start distributor and set the number 1 cylinder to TDC, the air port to number 1 was ready to open, this seemed to be the right timing as far as I could tell, I refitted the cover.

The main parts of the Chalmers air start system from a photocopy of an owners manual,

Chalmers%20air%20starter%202_zpsyftixl3l.jpg

I charged the air tank from the workshop compressor for a test, I primed the carb, switched on the ignition and pushed the start valve, the engine turned with ease and after a couple of rotations fired up and I took my foot off the start valve, it works !

The Chalmers air starter system diagram from the photocopied manual,

Chalmers%20air%20starter%203_zpsojkdo6nz.jpg

The wheels will be ready in a couple of weeks and then hopefully a bit of warmer weather for some test mileage.

Andy