Taylormade

The Ressurection of Daphne - a 1932 DL

55 minutes ago, Spinneyhill said:

I can confirm my DC breather tube extends 80 or 90 mm below the sump mounting line.

Have a look in your owner's manual. Mine (and the DD-6 manual) have a sectional view and show the breather tube extending down like this.

Found it. Plate 35 p. D-6-D in the Master Parts List. The tube on the clutch housing hand hole cover should be inwards = downwards! But what is it for?

I was wondering about that since in that position, it would protrude through the floorboard.

This is why this forum is so helpful - to save idiots like myself from making even more mistakes than usual!  The bellhousing cover was a true senior moment.  I've had it on before - correctly - and have no idea why I decided to put it on the wrong way just to proudly display my work all over the forum.  Here is the correct orientation.  And I don't know what it's for, either.  I think it's a vent, but  for....?

IMG_7347.jpg

IMG_7346.jpg

As far as the breather tube goes, this is going to be a problem.  Apparently, someone cut it off.  It certainly wasn't me, and I doubt that Phil would have been so cruel, so it must have been sometime before we owned the car - shrouded in the mysteries of the past.  Why someone would do this is beyond me, unless the bottom of the tube rusted off, but the top is in excellent, solid shape, so I kind of doubt that.  Does anyone out there have a tube I can purchase?  If not, I may be able to find tubing of the correct diameter and get it welded on.  In this shot you can see the cut edges of the tube and the rough metal inside indicative of someone taking a hacksaw to it.

IMG_7349a.jpg

Are other year breather tubes the same?

41 minutes ago, Taylormade said:

Are other year breather tubes the same?

Got a Dodge part number for that? The mounting and shape where it attaches to the block look very much the same as for my '33 Plymouth. Could be the same as for other later year Chrysler built vehicles which would make it much easier to find.

My pusher motor home has a draft tube that was manufactured to short.

Every one like mine that I see now has been extended with a rubber hose cut at an angle.

1 hour ago, Taylormade said:

I doubt that Phil would have been so cruel, so it must have been sometime before we owned the car.

Must have been. And I never would have given any thought to the length of that pipe back then.

Of course, since the splash pans were gone we probably had plenty of air circulation under there. Still, wonder why the hack job?

Maybe pics later.

Here's what I found in the Master Parts list.

Crankcase Ventilator Outlet Assembly: 390017

Crankcase Ventilator Outlet Pipe Gasket: 301034

Crankcase Ventilator Outlet Pipe Baffle: 626329

Re oil breather tube. My master parts book shows tube extending below oil pan for  DP-DQ but only half way down the oil pan for DD, DE, DH, DI ,DL. and the 8 cal engines. 

Taylormade, I too have thoroughly enjoyed and admired your step by step beautiful work. You are way aheD of me with my DH sedan! JT

1 hour ago, Phil 32DL6 said:

Must have been. And I never would have given any thought to the length of that pipe back then.

Of course, since the splash pans were gone we probably had plenty of air circulation under there. Still, wonder why the hack job?

Maybe pics later.

Here's what I found in the Master Parts list.

Crankcase Ventilator Outlet Assembly: 390017

Crankcase Ventilator Outlet Pipe Gasket: 301034

Crankcase Ventilator Outlet Pipe Baffle: 626329

Gasket 301034 is used on all '28 through '48 Plymouths if I read my parts books correctly. The other numbers I don't see in my books.

Not a matter of how much air is moving around inside the engine compartment, the draft tube works off the Venturi effect and thus the tip needs to be below the car so a partial vacuum is created as the car moves forward.

Edited by ply33 (see edit history)

28 minutes ago, ply33 said:

Not a matter of how much air is moving around inside the engine compartment, the draft tube works off the Venturi effect and thus the tip needs to be below the car so a partial vacuum is created as the car moves forward.

The Venturi effect works with ANY moving air...the more air there is, and the faster the air moves, the stronger the effect.

So, SOME more air moving within the engine compartment due to a lack of pans will give more vacuum than less air. No question the best vacuum will be obtained with the pipe below the engine compartment and the opening angled towards the rear.

I believe that the same tube was used for the 1931 Chrysler CM6, DeSoto SA6 and the Plymouth PA. At least, they all look to be the same.

The car was driven by both Phil and yours truly for a number of years, and probably many years before that, so it must have been working to some extent.  If any one out there has a spare tube, let me know.

I've been enjoying this thread but I wish there was a way to fix the notifications. I get a notification for every single reply whether I visit the thread or not. Before the change to the current website software I used to get only one notification until I viewed the thread. Does anyone know how to fix this?

1 hour ago, Phil 32DL6 said:

Watch out, Dick...it might be for his '23 Aussie Built.

Thanks Phil. Next time I'll leave you in NJ.

Dick I'll take it of one of my spare 1931  engines.

It wouldn't be really clean but I'm sure you won't mind for the price.

I'll mail it out tomorrow.

Joe C.

25 minutes ago, Bleach said:

I've been enjoying this thread but I wish there was a way to fix the notifications. I get a notification for every single reply whether I visit the thread or not. Before the change to the current website software I used to get only one notification until I viewed the thread. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Bleach, look at the top right corner you should see a bell icon or symbol. When you hover over it or click on it a "Notification Settings" appears on the upper right in gray. From there you can edit for your specific needs.

• Like 1

Thanks 30DodgePanel  but the only option it has is "One email per day with all new content from that day" doesn't work that well. I've tried it before and I don't like to wait until the end of the day to see if there are replies.

Other forums I subscribe to have a message this, as well as this one did before the software change, "There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again."

I guess I have keep getting all the notifications then.

5 hours ago, Joe Cozza said:

Thanks Phil. Next time I'll leave you in NJ.

Dick I'll take it of one of my spare 1931  engines.

It wouldn't be really clean but I'm sure you won't mind for the price.

I'll mail it out tomorrow.

Joe C.

Thank you, Joe.  PM me when you get a chance.

Dick,

The vent tube is on the way. USPO says you should get it Weds. We'll see.

I have the tracking # if needed.

If it's not the right one just past it on, but I'm pretty sure it will fit. I cleaned it off to make sure that the grease/gunk wasn't covering up a hole.

As for the cost, Would you believe the USPO let me ship it to you free( :):) ), because you did so much at the 2014 meet.

Joe C.

OK, I had a chance to take a couple of photos. First, that area is a BEAR to get into: the exhaust connection is right in the way, as is the large canister and its various piping and links for the Auto Clutch. It also doesn't help that mine isn't in pristine condition like yours. Plus I've got a BODY to contend with! Underneath it's not any easier to position for a clear shot with the car on the ground. Then there's all that authentic dark grease & grime! I've added arrows to highlight the crankcase breather pipe in both shots.

This long curved design may not be what you were expecting to see...and it may not be what Joe is sending. They may have designed it this way to accommodate the Auto Clutch on those that came with that option? Anyway, that's what I have, and maybe Joe's will fit your car without the Auto Clutch.

Breather 1.jpg

Breather 2.jpg

Holy moly, Batman!  That is certainly not what I was expecting.  The current tube on Daphne was never curved like yours, that's for sure.  Was the Auto Cluch an option?  I'm not sure if my car ever had one, but there is an extension on the clutch shaft that appears to have a part missing - or, at least is providing a space for a part.  My splash pans and air cleaner have long since disappeared into that great junkyard in the sky, so who knows on the Auto Clutch.  Anyway, my current tube, cut off or not, was not curved.  Thanks for the photos - I hope you didn't throw your back out crawling around down there.