The Ressurection of Daphne - a 1932 DL

Here are some shots of the Homosote cut and in place on the two floorboards.  It proved to be easy to cut with a jigsaw.  I cleaned up the edges with sandpaper.  These panels were originally black, so I'm going to give them a quick coat of H-Temp flat black.

IMG_0911.thumb.jpg.50fe5f3d025d016992f43c00322a2a26.jpg

IMG_0913.thumb.jpg.a9c6eb6973267549124823386b4c52c4.jpg

IMG_0916.thumb.jpg.3238c78e8ce6dddf592415d400d10b6f.jpg

• Like 1

While crawling around under my car checking on the leak from the bottom of the timing cover (tightening the bolts seems to have almost stopped the problem, nothing is dripping or flowing, but I still can see a tiny bit of oil seeping) I discovered another problem.  My brake lines are still leaking around the banjo fittings.  This after I got new copper washers and annealed them so they would crush properly.  I found an article on this problem and they recommended these washers...

384508612_brakewasher.JPG.8b4a5be60050954a2854d9d153e2d04c.JPG

Funny, since I just bought some smaller ones for my transmission leak problem.  Has anyone tried these on brake fittings?  The article, from The Toolbox site, says they work every time.  They have no skin in the game and do not advertise this product, so maybe it's legit.

I have silicon brake fluid in the system, and I suspect this may be part of the problem.  I have heard it is more prone to leak than conventional fluid.  Nothing else in the system leaks, all my brake line fittings (which I made and flared myself) are fine.  Same with the master cylinder.  It's an ongoing and annoying problem, so I may give these washers a try.

Celetex is an exterior sheathing that is impregnated with a creosote type material and also looks like the original insulator pad. Homosote, to my knowledge was always white and for interior use. We used to make platform boards for toy trains with it.Neither product is in high usage today. Glad to hear that it worked for you!

Edited by jpage (see edit history)

7 hours ago, Taylormade said:

While crawling around under my car checking on the leak from the bottom of the timing cover (tightening the bolts seems to have almost stopped the problem, nothing is dripping or flowing, but I still can see a tiny bit of oil seeping) I discovered another problem.  My brake lines are still leaking around the banjo fittings.  This after I got new copper washers and annealed them so they would crush properly.  I found an article on this problem and they recommended these washers...

384508612_brakewasher.JPG.8b4a5be60050954a2854d9d153e2d04c.JPG

Funny, since I just bought some smaller ones for my transmission leak problem.  Has anyone tried these on brake fittings?  The article, from The Toolbox site, says they work every time.  They have no skin in the game and do not advertise this product, so maybe it's legit.

I have silicon brake fluid in the system, and I suspect this may be part of the problem.  I have heard it is more prone to leak than conventional fluid.  Nothing else in the system leaks, all my brake line fittings (which I made and flared myself) are fine.  Same with the master cylinder.  It's an ongoing and annoying problem, so I may give these washers a try.

I’ve always used the dowty seals when I can - brakes, oil, fuel - and never had a problem.

Ive also found with Cooper washers they are not always that soft from new and sometimes re-annealing them can make a big difference.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm working on the wood floors of the body.  It seems strange that they still used wood for the flooring in 1932, but it is what it is.  I would have loved to use the original floors (there are four pieces) but I couldn't. 

IMG_0921.thumb.jpg.7dad91e53a59682e4a9e60171ad2b324.jpg

The tops of the pieces is in pretty good shape, but at some point a previous owner had the bottom of the car sprayed with some sort of asphalt rustproofing and this stuff is impossible to get off.  It clogs up any type of sandpaper I've tried to use, and heat is only going to set the wood on fire.

Nice top surface...

IMG_0925.thumb.jpg.30d6d719b3a4d617c474c59c834eff07.jpg

Crummy bottom...

IMG_0927.thumb.jpg.1536fd19d431ed7efb0da601ba32df9d.jpg

Plus the floorboard around the transmission area was badly degraded by years of water leaking through the cowl vents.  You can

see the delaminating plywood.

IMG_0930.thumb.jpg.15947155db2dee8e86a2084644e423f2.jpg

I'm cutting the new floor pieces out of marine plywood, which uses waterproof glue and is designed to stand up against moisture and wet conditions.

IMG_0917.thumb.jpg.3187f564b1105d46c598363598077fe7.jpg

IMG_0918.thumb.jpg.5cc354a5e025313f14b2d8ce90df541d.jpg

Edited by Taylormade (see edit history)

You may be correct on that.  It’s a mess, whatever the gunk is!  I always assumed it was some sort of protective coating, but the more I think about it, the more I think you’re right.  I should have learned by now - never assume anything when you’re restoring a car.

You both may be correct.  Phil is correct, the stuff is evenly coated and rock hard.  But the concave metal plate screwed to the rear-most floorboard is loaded with grease, that also splattered over some of the floorboard.  This deposit appears to have been donated by a leaking differential, or, possibly, the rear ball joint.  So, keiser31 may be correct, also.  Either way, it’s a mess.

Got the three rear most floorboards cut out and routed the edges.  The rear floorboard has the mounting holes drilled and the cutout for the differential plate.

IMG_0946.thumb.jpg.a92640d4bd1c20e1bd879614138e4f58.jpg

The attaching edges are routed for an overlapping fit.  I still haven't sanded the edges, cut out the battery access, or cleaned things up.

IMG_0945.thumb.jpg.be2c09899e07b23219781437dbccea5d.jpg

The routing was done on my Bosch router table.  I was worried about tear-out on the plywood, but I got very clean cuts on all the boards.

IMG_0948.thumb.jpg.6bb7c5001317072ed58c3caa232bed6f.jpg

Each floorboard has a mounting pad made of wood, and attached to each short end, that rests on the top of the frame rail.  The wood is 1-1/8" thick, three inches and a quarter inches wide, and the length of the floorboard.

Getting lumber of that dimension proved impossible.  Rather than having a sawmill plane it for me, I bought some oak from a big box store and glued two pieces together.

IMG_0937.thumb.jpg.6708b7609bab805e81a8cb185eaa00f7.jpg

IMG_0935.thumb.jpg.174611947688409482a0f9ab9dd2add0.jpg

This gives me a chunk of wood 1-1/4" thick and 3-1/2 wide.  I'll use my router to knock off an eight of an inch of the thickness and a quarter inch off the width, and then I can cut the resulting stock to the correct lengths.

I should have everything wrapped up by tomorrow evening.

Edited by Taylormade (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The results are in, the Stat-O-Seal washers did the job on my leaking brake connections.  Once I installed them, the leaking stopped - period.  Not a drop of fluid anywhere.  They are a combination crush washer and rubber seal.  Don't get the steel variety, get the aluminum, as they act as a crush washer and rubber seal.  I got mine from Speedway Motors.  I needed two sizes, one for the outer part of the banjo bolt and the other for the threaded section.

IMG_0958.thumb.jpg.a4878e36d6f6752347f7422d263409d4.jpg

IMG_0955.thumb.jpg.ddc03b70872bbd45e648ff61d8346f3f.jpg

I also got most of the floor spacers done for the floorboards.  They rest on the frame and keep the actual floorboards at the correct level.

Here you can see the old and the new.  The holes in the old piece are there to clear rivets and bolts on the frame.  I haven't drilled them yet on the new spacers.

IMG_0961.thumb.jpg.5a223e1814ccdd54986a47f8b07477a9.jpg

Sitting in place on the bottom of the floorboards.

IMG_0959.thumb.jpg.060eca6a02736f6eef370a983372cf16.jpg

The old floorboards before I removed them from the car.

IMG_1582.thumb.jpg.ef7ed76fda0a1b1aa9507d694d04d7de.jpg

And the new ones partially finished.

image.png.ec3dac3ef4624865b6a7e21e4ab5513d.png

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Starting and running the engine a few times and some minor problems have cropped up.  The oil pressure is running 65 pounds, which I think is too high.  Looks like I may have to adjust the pressure relief valve.  I found a small oil leak at the bottom of the timing chain cover.  I tightened the cover bolts and it seems to have stopped the leak.  I certainly hope so, as the thought of having to replace the cover gasket is not something I want to consider.  I also found a leak around the pressure relief valve cover - which is more of a screw on  domed fitting in the side of the block.  This will need some investigating.  I’m not sure if there is a gasket involved or just the tightness of the unit being screwed tight into the block is supposed to be sufficient.  If I have to adjust the pressure relief valve, I guess I’ll find out as that cover is how you access it.

1 hour ago, Taylormade said:

Is there a gap between the cover and the block?  I don’t think mine is screwed all the way in.  Any pictures would help.

Here is the cover on my 1931....I suppose a wire brush would have helped a bit....

Picture 27589.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I think there should be a gap (about 1/16") showing between dome hex nut and block surface, at least there is on my CD8 block. Mine has a copper washer (about 1/16" thick) sitting in the slight recess in the block, and the round mating surface of the dome nut fits tight against it. The copper washer is only about 1/8" wide, don't know if any are available, probably could make one out of any suitable material. My car's operation manual says oil pressure relief valve should never need adjusting, and has lots of cautionary advice. Gauge may be giving a misread. Before adjusting pressure, try another gauge or pressure device, a relatively easy test. Just hook a temporary gauge to outlet coming from block.

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)

My engine rebuilder said it might need adjusting.  Not sure why he thought so - I’m giving him a call Monday.  I used a new temporary gauge, not the original, to test the oil pressure.  I’ll try the original gauge and see what that reads.  At least I have too much pressure rather than not enough.

17 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

I think there should be a gap (about 1/16") showing between dome hex nut and block surface, at least there is on my CD8 block. Mine has a copper washer (about 1/16" thick) sitting in the slight recess in the block, and the round mating surface of the dome nut fits tight against it. The copper washer is only about 1/8" wide, don't know if any are available, probably could make one out of any suitable material. My car's operation manual says oil pressure relief valve should never need adjusting, and has lots of cautionary advice. Gauge may be giving a misread. Before adjusting pressure, try another gauge or pressure device, a relatively easy test. Just hook a temporary gauge to outlet coming from block.

I see about 1/16" gap on my '31.

53 minutes ago, Mattml430 said:

My 29 runs  up around 70-75 cold and around 50 once warmed up. 

Wow, that is high. Way too high in my uninformed opinion. What oil are you running?

Thick (higher viscosity) oil leads to high pressure and low flow. I hope you are not taking Penrite's advice and running their 20W-70. That is far to thick for a "new" engine. Use what it was designed for, probably SAE 30 so use a 0 or 5W-30 (once run in).

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

On 11/5/2018 at 6:09 AM, Spinneyhill said:

Wow, that is high. Way too high in my uninformed opinion. What oil are you running?

Thick (higher viscosity) oil leads to high pressure and low flow. I hope you are not taking Penrite's advice and running their 20W-70. That is far to thick for a "new" engine. Use what it was designed for, probably SAE 30 so use a 0 or 5W-30 (once run in).

I’m using a 25W 50 mineral oil. 

I’ll take your advice and use a lighter oil. I’ll put some 5W 30 in it and give some feedback on the oil pressure. 

• 1 month later...

Hanging in there and trying to lose some weight before I have knee replacement surgery.  I actually got my newly reupholstered front seat back a few weeks ago and I’ll post some pictures after the holidays.  I’ve also completed all the wood floorboards and am waiting for a warm day to paint them.  I’m also working inside, wiring my headlights and cowl lights.  It’s very difficult to get around at the moment with bone on bone arthritis in my right knee, but I am making progress - mostly from a seated position.

• 4 weeks later...

As I said earlier I picked up my front seat from the upholstery shop.  Looks good.  The new wood base I made fits perfectly which was a relief.  It was hard to get a straight on shot due to current storage in my living room corner and the parallax makes the top buttons look crooked - which they are not.

IMG_1088.thumb.jpg.e60f6652158034cc3e4feaec4ff34c93.jpg

I'm working on my headlight wiring which was in rough shape.  This is the wiring section inside the headlight itself.  The socket on the left is for the bulb, the one on the right fits into a receptacle in the headlight shell and connects to the wire that goes through a chrome conduit and through the fender.  As you can see, the wires are totally shot.  The plastic coated wires indicate that this has been rewired in the past.

IMG_1083.thumb.jpg.9153ac03b72ec7da89552bcbf527a306.jpg

The wires run into the socket through the fiber spacers and one wire through each of the two springs inside.  Everything, with the exception of the wires, just needed to be cleaned up and reassembled.

IMG_1081.thumb.jpg.c23f19b4b91b000693c54d92ff9996c4.jpg

I have a question concerning the replacement of the wiring.  This setup has the usual wire running to the raised buds or bumps that are contact points.  I would like to save the original parts if possible, or am I making a mistake and should I go with replacements at this point?  I assume the wire is soldered into to these tips, but I'm amazed how clean the joint is.  I see virtually no signs of solder anywhere.  Is there a narrow post extending down from the tip the the end of the wire surrounds and then everything is soldered?  Do I need to be careful when I loosen this joint?  I don't want to melt the tip in the process.  Any advice here would be welcome.  I also noticed the the wire insulation covered everything right to the base of the tip.  I can see pulling the insulation back when making the first solder, then pushing it back up when finished.  But the second set would seem to be a problem as the wire is short and I doubt the stiffness of the insulation would allow me to pull it back enough to solder.

IMG_1086.thumb.jpg.514ececcc3e10ab22427df705e350a09.jpg

Let me know what you think.  As I've stated before, electrical wiring is not my strong point.