Vintage Hearses, Funeral Coaches and Flower Cars On Main Street Anywhere: A Pictorial

Bleach

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I am glad to see this thread back as well.

Maybe I have told this story before, but I will tell it again.

I was crewing for a guy at a fairly famous asphalt circle track in the NW several years ago.

The pits were across the track from the grandstands, and I was watching the race pit side while standing next to and talking with a track official.

There was a pile up mid turn of 3 and 4 and one car lost a wheel, the wheel was hit by another car punting it up and over the catch fence and into the stands.

From across the track we could see the spectators scrambling, away from the flying tire and wheel assembly as it was soaring towards them.

The said assembly indeed hit the seating area and bounced over the back of the stands and into the concession area behind where it hit the ground right between two people in the beer line and then bounced over the back fence to imbed itself in some poor guys pick up windshield in the parking area.
The word came over that no one was hit (obviously that could have been fatal).

However, during that scramble in the stands someone was complaining of a twisted ancle, or the likes and the call went out for the medical crew.

This is where it gets good.

They rolled out an old Pontiac ambulance. I would guess mid 50s. it was a real ambulance. But they also called for a push truck to get it over to the front stretch.

I commented to the official that I was next to about the ambulance not running and he said that he had been working at this track for several years and had never seen it actually run.

So, I questioned him about what would happen if someone needed transport. He was quick to reply that they would then hail the tow truck.

It turns out that this was a joke, and they would be calling 911 if there was an injury that serious.

This is one of those 'just when you think you have seen it all' stories.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ozstatman said:

Saw this '36 Packard Super Eight Hearse at the Naper(New Zealand) Art Deco festival in 2014.

Hearse1.JPG

Hearse2.JPG

Hearse3.JPG

Harbour City operates from several branches in Wellington, a good five hour drive from Napier. The 1936 Packard is named Dotty. They also have a 1959 Cadillac - called Colin - which is a more recent restoration ...

Our Vehicles | Harbour City Funeral Home » (harbourcityfunerals.co.nz)

59 PPP06 Cadillac USA day Trentham 0221a.jpg

• Like 2

Up to and a little after WW2, here in NZ hearses were usually built on car or light commercial chassis. I found this article from 2015 about a 1936 Dodge pickup-based hearse which is being resurrected Huntly. They refer to it as a Dodge Ram but of course I am sure it wasn't called a Ram back in the day - Dodge hearse gets new life - Classic cars - Driven

This Northern Advocate clipping from February 1961 shows the hearse and a guard of honour at the funeral of former Dargaville fire chief PW Hayward.

More here - it seems there has not been an update for some years - Our Hearses » Haven Funeral Services, Ltd.

Update No. 1 - 1936 Dodge Ram Hearse Restoration Project » Haven Funeral Services, Ltd.

36dodgehearse_A3.jpg

36dodgehearse_5.jpg

• Like 2

In NZ, once large American wagons became available in the 1960s and 1970s they were usually imported privately for funeral use and most of the surviving wagons of the era likely began life as hearses, leading a sheltered and well-maintained, life. The only modifications were to the interiors, with the exteriors left stock. Since about the 1990s hearses have usually been constructed from extended Australian models - mostly Holden Commodores and Ford Falcons. Some can be seen in the earlier links I provided.  Since production of those cars ceased a few years ago I am not sure what the next generation of hearses will look like.

These two 1975 Catalina Grand Safaris are survivors. Both were imported new and spent probably more than 20 years as hearses before going into private ownership. Decoding them from carjam - Report - FDQ941 - 1975 PONTIAC CATALINA in Black | CARJAM - both are Kansas-built cars but FDQ941 has a 400 and GUC68 has a 455.

75 FDQ941 Catalina sw tp 0921.jpg

75 GUC68 in 2017 S Trinder Flickr.jpg

• Like 1

Here is something which would be unlikely to be seen in the US.   New Zealand imports large numbers of used cars from Japan though most are near new.   This one is a hearse built on a 1993 Toyota Crown wagon. To give and impression of its size the wheelbase is 108".  Around this time the Crown sedans went to unibody construction but the wagons retained the 1980s body-on-frame, with leaf springs at the rear, until replaced with a new model in 1999. This one is a base model Deluxe (the more expansive models were Super Deluxe and Super Saloon) with a 1G two litre six and three and o/d on the column and a bench seat. This one is for sale at NZ$18k.  It has quite low mileage for its age - 83,000 km (circa 50,000 miles).

I have owned an earlier one of these (from 1987) since 1991 - it was never a hearse though - and being a Super Deluxe has separate front seats and five on the floor and carpets rather than rubber mats. It is technically a van as it has a V in its chassis code. They were built in relatively small numbers - around 150 a month. Total production over the four-year run of my model (1984-87) was just less than 10,000 including both wagon and van, in both gas and diesel variants.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

• Like 1

Back to NZ, before going to Napier I went to MOTAT(Museum of Transport and Technology) in Auckland and found this Packard Clipper Hearse there. Sorry 😪 for the pic quality. it was dark in there and the flash and photographer both could have been better.

Clipper Hearse1.JPG

Clipper Hearse2.JPG

Clipper Hearse3.JPG

Clipper Hearse4.JPG

Clipper Hearse5.JPG

Clipper Hearse6.JPG

• Like 2