Paint colors for 1933 Plymouth PD Convertible Coupe

1935EB

• 3 weeks later...

Guy's this is a test to see how Windows 8 works with this. I hope they show up.

These headlight buckets are from Donald Axelrad. I think he has done an excellent job on these. You drill out the rivets that hold the steel mounting hardware and than attach the bucket using his screws that look like rivets when assembled.

IMG_1632.jpg

IMG_1631.jpg

Guy's this is a test to see how Windows 8 works with this. I hope they show up.

These headlight buckets are from Donald Axelrad. I think he has done an excellent job on these. You drill out the rivets that hold the steel mounting hardware and than attach the bucket using his screws that look like rivets when assembled.

Nice!

I've seen his ad in the Plymouth Bulletin and wondered about how to install the rivets. I had my originals repaired but the fellow was unable to save the Twilite stamped or engraved information at the back.

The underside of the floor pan and body interior is stripped, primed and painted. Some extra holes are not original Plymouth.

untitled10.png

untitled8.png

untitled11.png

untitled3.png

untitled6.png

untitled5.png

Fenders and splash aprons are ready for "color".

untitled26.png

untitled25.png

untitled27.png

untitled30.png

untitled29.png

Steve has prepared the body and splash aprons for color and these photos will be posted tomorrow after Church.

Hope you are getting something out of this thread.

Thanks Tom,

Dry fitting will take place in next few weeks. Steve has painted wheel wells, insides, top and bottom of floor pans. Body will be painted in next few weeks. Steve also wants the convertible top man to make the top and fit it before he paints it. I concur.

Some questions. Does anyone have an idea where wood strips would be under the upholstery panels? I have two curved wood pieces and they go under the rain gutters in rumble area. I am interested in photos of folks rumble area upholstery panels to see where the wood strips might go. A coupe would be very similar to convertible coupe. Dodge cars would look the same.

untitled2.png

IMG_1742.jpg

IMG_1740.jpg

IMG_1739.jpg

IMG_1738.jpg

IMG_1736.jpg

IMG_1733.jpg

More pictures later.

The firewall will be painted black. The inside of body should be dark gray primer but Steve sprayed it with color. It will not be seen any way.

The pin stripe will be "vermillion" as well the wheels.

Thanks and I hope you are enjoying the progress reports.

Chris

Frank and Scott, Thanks for the kind words. It is getting there.

On page 1 of this thread, post number 20, I show a "coupon" with three colors mixed and sprayed on.

This is a PPG paint system. Single stage as this will not have a clear coat sprayed over it

The color I am using is Durode Gray, actually a tan with a gray tint to it. This paint color uses a Vermillion (Red) pin stripe, wire wheels, and top of door insert.

The PPG paint dealer researched the original offset numbers provided on the 33ply website, google 33 ply and you will see the website. It is managed and put together by the Plymouth Owners Club 33 technical director.

Durode Gray (PPG IM 924) is Ford Fern Gray 33112

Vermillion is Valor Red 70402

I wanted to see the Chrysler light gray (a lighter tan) used with a cream pin stripe and wheels. This is PPG IM 680 now 23517 ©.

Let me know if you need more.

Thanks, Chris

. . .The PPG paint dealer researched the original offset numbers provided on the 33ply website, google 33 ply and you will see the website. It is managed and put together by the Plymouth Owners Club 33 technical director. . .

Most of that information was put up before he was the '33 technical advisor. And he still has lots to learn. :)

Beautiful work there and I like the color a lot.

Frank and Scott, Thanks for the kind words. It is getting there.

On page 1 of this thread, post number 20, I show a "coupon" with three colors mixed and sprayed on.

This is a PPG paint system. Single stage as this will not have a clear coat sprayed over it

The color I am using is Durode Gray, actually a tan with a gray tint to it. This paint color uses a Vermillion (Red) pin stripe, wire wheels, and top of door insert.

The PPG paint dealer researched the original offset numbers provided on the 33ply website, google 33 ply and you will see the website. It is managed and put together by the Plymouth Owners Club 33 technical director.

Durode Gray (PPG IM 924) is Ford Fern Gray 33112

Vermillion is Valor Red 70402

I wanted to see the Chrysler light gray (a lighter tan) used with a cream pin stripe and wheels. This is PPG IM 680 now 23517 ©.

Let me know if you need more.

Thanks, Chris

Chris, By "top of door insert" are you meaning the recess above the belt molding? The area where you might rest your arm??

John,

This photo shows a door. The upper most indentation above the belt molding appears to be Vermillion on most, but not all, convertibles I have seen. Also the red rolls over onto the top of the door. The inside trim piece that holds the door upholstery panel will be Durode Gray. If anyone knows this is correct or incorrect please let me know soon.

untitled24.png

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

On an earlier posting I requested some dimensions so that I could fabricate a new package tray assembly. A few folks have gotten back and the main ones are as follows.

B is the back of the package tray front to the back of the package tray rear and this is 9 1/2 inches.

E is the center to center of the ears that are a rest for the convertible top irons. There is a rubber pad that goes on these. this dimension is 43 1/2 inches.

A is the outside of the front tip of the package tray front to the other side and this is 47 3/4 inches.

Using a stretcher shrinker I have made the three main pieces. These will be welded together and than a 1/2 x 1/2 angle is to be welded to the top edge of this assembly.

IMG_1756.jpg

IMG_1754.jpg

IMG_1755.jpg

We did a rough fit of the original convertible top assembly. This is to be made on the car and Steve wants to have this done before he applies the finish coat of paint to avoid scratches and marring. The piece of wood is steam bent.

The top irons on these Plymouths were painted glossy black with a chrome plated release handle. The 1933 Dodge cars had a chrome plated top iron assembly. According to Scott and the parts book, the 1934 Plymouth had a "white metal" coating. We were wondering if anyone knows what this is?

IMG_1746.jpg

IMG_1748.jpg

IMG_1743.jpg

You can see where the original package tray front was removed and why I am building a new one. I think the street rodders remove these package tray fronts to allow for the seats to go further back.

Any input on the package tray front and the top iron colors is appreciated.

Chris

Chris--Car is looking great, you are moving along much faster than I am on my 34. On the door dovetails, I don't have any but Dave at Dodge City in Jamestown apparently has some. On the package tray, my metal man fabricated the tray on my 34 based upon the photo of the red 34 further up in this thread and following the curve on the back of the seat frame. We left it moveable (attached with sheet metal screws temporarily, to be welded when finalized) and I have just finally located and trimmed it. Used the dimensions I had, plus those in the AACA Dodge forum on the convertible 34 that is being built there, which match up with the ones you have. As you can see from the photos, the positioning leaves enough for the top, including the header bow, to fold into the well. In addition, with the front of the well located where it is, when the seat--which is installed on the original floorboard, in the original mounting holes--is pushed all the way back (i.e., in the last notch), the seat basically snugs up against the well. Probably as close as I am going to get it. Keep up the good work, your 33 is looking great. One comment, I think the black under the hood (on the front of the cowl) is more of a gloss or semi-gloss, at least that is what I have seen on the original cowls I have seen. Plymouth club guys are probably the best authority on this one. SMBpost-89602-143142269775_thumb.jpg

post-89602-143142269715_thumb.jpg

post-89602-143142269744_thumb.jpg

Scott,

I hope my package tray front turns out as well as your's did.

Yes, the cowl and firewall will be painted a glossy black.

When you get a moment could you post a photo of your floor board where the seat tracks bolt to? This will help me locate the holes I need to drill for mine.

Thanks, Chris

Dave,

Thanks for posting the pictures.

I can attest to the 1933 Plymouth cars using the ones where the spring fits into a cylindrical hole. This matches my photo's above. I always thought the ones without the hole were for trucks? The 1934 guy's will have to weigh in on this one.

The springs look like they should have a felt wick in them to keep lubricant like graphite in the pocket.

Chris

Chris--Will yank the seat out and shoot a couple of pictures and post them Saturday. SMB

Scott,

I hope my package tray front turns out as well as your's did.

Yes, the cowl and firewall will be painted a glossy black.

When you get a moment could you post a photo of your floor board where the seat tracks bolt to? This will help me locate the holes I need to drill for mine.

Thanks, Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your patience. We had a very busy Thanksgiving Holiday, etc.

Work has begun on the interior or at least getting ready for the interior. The seat frame is from a 4 Door Sedan which is the same for coupes, 4 doors and the convertible. The Convertible has no separation between the back of the seat and the rumble area. The coupe does have a panel. On convertibles I have seen, not that many, there is no separation. If someone knows otherwise please add your comments, soon. The 1934 Plymouth and 1933 and 1934 Dodges are similar. The lower half of this seat back had carpet, the top half was upholstery. This convertible will have the leather trim which means dark brown vinyl on seat frame, front and back. Lower half of seat back carpet. Kick panels, door panels rumble area panels all dark brown vinyl. Rumble seat cushions dark brown vinyl. The front seat cushion and back rest is genuine leather. Package tray is covered in dark brown vinyl.

1933PlymouthPDConvertibleCoupeSeatFramea.jpg

1933PlymouthPDConvertibleCoupeSeatFrameb.jpg

1933PlymouthPDConvertibleCoupeSeatFramec.jpg

1933PlymouthPDConvertibleCoupeSeatFramed.jpg

The seat tracks need to be sandblasted, disassembled, and soaked in penetrating oil to get them to work. These get bolted to the floorboard. You can see where the seat adjusting handle is broken off. I have seen this to be the case on a lot of cars and I think it was a design weakness. I have nickel plated the other part of the adjusting handle and will reattach it by using a splint that will be unnoticeable and make it stronger.

IMG_1769.jpg

IMG_1768.jpg

IMG_1766.jpg

I will post more seat frame pictures including the original before cleaning up and painting as time allows.

Chris

Here are the before photos of the seat frame. Note it looks like it has Bedford Cord upholstery. I was told it was from a 4 door sedan. The convertibles came with this or the leather vinyl combination. The cost was the same for either one. The convertible does not have rolls and pleats in the seat cushion bottom or back. Instead there is just one seam front to back up the center. I am guessing that the convertible has carpet on the lower seat back as this is where rumble seat passengers would kick this seat. No panel appears to be between the front seat and rumble area as there is the case in coupes. As mentioned earlier if you know this to be incorrect please let me know soon.

IMG_1706.jpg

IMG_1703.jpg

IMG_1701.jpg

IMG_1699.jpg

IMG_1697.jpg

IMG_1695.jpg

I have what I believe to be the exact seat base and was told it was from a sedan (mine has the center brace cut out of it). With yours having Bedford Cord cloth, I will bet yours is also for the sedan. I cannot imagine why the convertible coupe would have upholstery on the back of the seat.....especially Bedford Cord style stuff.

post-37352-143142302441_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143142302443_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Thanks John,

I agree. My seat frame did not come from my convertible. I bought it at a swap meet. The metal on the back of my seat back will be covered in dark brown vinyl down to the point where the carpet is. The one in my photo's are from a 4 door as I had to buy the front seat cushions and frame and the rear cushions all in a package.

Chris

Guest DodgeKCL

The "bible" says the Convertible Coupe used 'flat mohair' or 'leather' for upholstery. Bedford Cord was only used on an enclosed car.

OK, took me awhile, but here are the pictures of the seat tracks and floorboard. Both are original 34 Plymouth. The tracks are slightly different from the 33 tracks your pictures show but I have a set identical to yours that were obviously originals in my 34 PE 4-dr sedan, which is a very early production (by the body number and it has the early style 34 grille shell) so I assume they were left over 33 parts. Those tracks are the same length as the 34s in these pictures, they mount to an identical seat frame, so the mounting dimensions are probably the same. The rear mounting bolt is 4-1/2" from the rear edge of the floorboard. As stated in my earlier post, this places the seat right up against the top well when the seat is all the way back on the tracks. PS, I have a 525x17 sidemount cover that is probably 32 or 33 if you or anyone else is interested. Doesn't work with my 34s. post-89602-143142313278_thumb.jpg

Chris--Will yank the seat out and shoot a couple of pictures and post them Saturday. SMB

post-89602-143142313251_thumb.jpg

. . . PS, I have a 525x17 sidemount cover that is probably 32 or 33 if you or anyone else is interested. Doesn't work with my 34s.

Probably not for '32 as I don't believe they used 17" wheels. Might also be for a '34 PF which, like the '33 models, did use 525x17 tires.

Guest DodgeKCL

The dull gray covering you're asking about was cadmium. It was also used on the '28/'29 and '30 wooden wheel rims to keep them from rusting. Most use as dull a silver paint as you can find to replicate it. Gray paint doesn't look right. CADMIUM-a bluish white metal used in protective plating (Webster's)

I think the metal on all Plymouth rad shell medallions from '28 through to '33 is copper not brass. Just an observation over the years. I have no proof but it does not look like the brighter brass. Especially after it starts to tarnish. It looks more like a copper penny. If you take a penny and polish it and hold it up to the medallion, they tend to match much better than polished brass.

Edited by DodgeKCL (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I Thank every one for your post they are both enjoyable and educational. I have attached some pictures from my father's 1933 Plymouth Convertible. Some of his seat which has the "Green Color" Vinyl covering and the inside of his passenger side door with the "paint code" "Black". thank you. Erickpost-69877-143142330116_thumb.jpgpost-69877-143142330116_thumb.jpg

post-69877-1431423300_thumb.jpg

post-69877-143142330031_thumb.jpg

post-69877-143142330059_thumb.jpg

post-69877-143142330087_thumb.jpg