lets talk cars!

odat

I would like to know "in your opinion " what was the best Franklin ever made. Also lets here what you like or dislike about the cars you have or have ever had.

I love my 29 130 sedan. It holds the grandkids and will run all day long at 48/52 mph. The only thing that I would like to change is first gear is a growly thing, I have been told that it is the straight cut gears. Also I would like to be able to keep up to traffic on the interstate when traverling long distances to a trek.

Lets here from the rest of you.

Wow-

I can say great things about almost every model Franklin made and am eager to read comments and posts - great topic. I think Franklin improved with every model right up to the series 16. Not to take away from the later cars/models, but the series 16 was a 'complete' design. It was very refined and held its own against other contemporary luxury classics. Plenty of power with 100 "Supercharged" horsepower and startix automatic starting, synchromesh transmission, full elliptic suspension well dampened with adjustable rear shocks, somewhat beefier drivetrain (originally intended for the V/12), tighter body construction with extensive insulation for quietness and comfort, all bodies designed by Ray Dietrich with walnut interior trim and engine-turned instrument panel with electric clock...whew! All standard and all new for 1932. Quiet, smooth, great riding and handling, fast enough, they were a leap ahead. The end was coming and relatively few were sold but the survival rate is impressive.

They were almost all great cars, but the Series 16 was a real benchmark. (odat, did I just raise the value of yours??!! How will I ever afford one!)

Tom

Ps- the "growl" in your 130 1st gear is like music to me... It's all perspective I guess

All I hope is that I can build this one to your expectations! Now that I know how high they are.

Are there still Startix switches out there? Is it just in the key switch?

OK folks Tom and I are in only 740 more members to hear from.

QUOTE=odat;1143289]A

OK folks Tom and I are in only 740 more members to hear from.

I have only driven a dozen Franklins but have ridden in many more. Although everything that Tom says about the S16 is true, it begins to sound like a modern car.

For a period experience, the model that I can jump into, hang my Left arm out, and drive comfortably without anxiety is the Series 9. They are light, nimble, easy to drive, predictable, smooth and comfy, but still far enough from modern that you get the feeling of driving an antique car. I really like S9s, do not own one, and have no lust in my heart. Every encounter with a Franklin is enjoyable and it is a kick when riding rapidly in a S16s or squeezing into the dicky seat of a S15. The back seat of S11 Sedans are so cozy and sedate that I cannot stay awake. The old Franklins are always an adventure but there is just something sweet and special about Driving a Series9 leisurely on a nice back-road at 20-40 MPH that makes it my favorite series of the Modern Era.

I agree with everything Tom said about the s16. I will add that the styling was flawless and looks great from any angle. I will never part with mine.

My dad has a 10C touring that is just about the most fun thing on four wheels. The epitome of Wilkinson design. Handling and agility that is unmatched. Series 10 styling is a pure example of form follows function.

The series 8 is a beast. I have driven two different cars and was smitten both times. Power to weight ratio is amazing. Truly a thrill ride.

There are so many great franklins. I love them all.

Beautiful cars! I tried to install a photo of my 29 130 but got a message that no photos allowed "only text"

What am I doing wrong? Other than posting this on a car blog??

Mabye I should change my sign on name to dummy in Maine!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest MojaveTom

My first ride in a Franklin was 32 Airman owned by Bill Hamlin in Ontario Calif, back in the mid 60's. It ruined me for life! Would not change a thing, it has been fun. My 29 runs better every time I drive it

We’ve take the Olympic on a lot of trips, nice driving onthe back roads at 50-55 mph and it has a good heater.

The 1907 G Touring is still pretty new to me and so far it’sbeen a hoot to drive, 30 or seems real fast with out a windscreen. If winterever goes away I can’t wait to do some more driving. The series 10 well someday.

I have a pair of 137's, neither of which I have ever driven. They are..."in process" shall we say. That said, I have had the privledge of driving several Franklins. While I really liked the S-16 that Tom is referring to, I felt it was a bit too modern for my tastes. I have driven at least three series 14's and loved every one of them. They felt sufficently "old car" to me while at the same time able to keep up with traffic. My first choice would be the Pirate Phaeton that is the Marshall family car, though like Tom, I wonder how I would ever pay for such a car. Can anyone say Lottery ticket? That's my 2 cents worth!

Eric