Just curious, what's everyones age, and what year Riv(s) do you own?

Guest Rob J

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I,m 58.I presently own a 91 Riviera.Previously owned 89 Riviera.I got my first Riviera-a 64 fully loaded,a/c,pw,seats,reverb when i was 16!

• 5 years later...

Buick did not make Riviera's in 1946. A Riviera was known in 1949 as it was the beginning of the hardtop & was called the Riviera. 

At the moment I'm 72.   So I bought mine when I was 18.  Today I still have the same '64 Riv. with over 300K on it.  May drive it to Pa. this year. We'll see how that works out.      !st. I would have to put the 3.07's back in.

Tom T.

• Like 2

Good God, I just looked through six pages of responses, and unless I missed one or two responses, I'm the oldest so far! I just turned 75 yesterday. I usually don't worry too much about my age, I'm still healthy, and have been told, many times that I don't look my age, that remains to be seen, but I don't know if any single thing that has made me feel older then seeing this thread! What a great Birthday present!

1963 Riv

1965-22K mile, all original, and documented.

Bill

• Like 2

Bill........if it makes you feel any better,  I am older.    They didn't make a Riviera back when I was born but I do have a 1939 Century Sport Coupe (my year)

Also have never owned a Riviera of any year but keep an eye on all the discussions

The Reattas I look after are half sister to the Riviera of that vintage,   so there are many things shared.

• Like 1

I am 70 and in May I will have owned my '64 for 41 years.

15 hours ago, RivNut said:

Most guys your age are tooling around in a BMW or an Audi.

Ain't it something how the old guys stereotype.

Had this for a year now. It is the same age my Riviera was when I bought it.

734772069_20180301_113719(3)2.jpg.65a0d49614e9d97680809aafa61e54cb.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

Good God, I just looked through six pages of responses, and unless I missed one or two responses, I'm the oldest so far! I just turned 75 yesterday. I usually don't worry too much about my age, I'm still healthy, and have been told, many times that I don't look my age, that remains to be seen, but I don't know if any single thing that has made me feel older then seeing this thread! What a great Birthday present!

1963 Riv

1965-22K mile, all original, and documented.

Bill

Happy Birthday Bill!

I turned 60 this year.  My Riviera and I have been together for 36 years. I bought my '65 Gran Sport in 1983 in Seattle, WA.  I drove it daily for ten years here in Vancouver, BC, and must have been the only one that crazy because I rarely if ever saw another 1st Gen Riviera on the road.  Same holds even truer today!  I got lucky as I had no idea what a Gran Sport was when I bought my Riv.  I'm not sure the previous owner knew it was anything special either, as I got it for only $2,000 and it was back then just a used 18 year old car in reasonably good shape.  It was unmolested, with 113,000 original miles on the clock, still wearing its original paint, interior, etc.  Soon after buying my Riv I joined the recently formed Riviera Owners Association (ROA).  My low membership number 259 testifies to that.  The ROA has been a wonderful resource, more so back in the days before the internet and forums such as this.  Here's a pic of my GS, taken earlier this month:

image.thumb.png.0e7b2e159aa0c9aeabc9f698ab13bcfe.png

In the ten years I used it my Gran Sport as my daily driver I put another 100,000 miles on the car with several road trips to Los Angeles, etc. All this on its original drivetrain.  Heavy on gas, yes, but extremely reliable.  This car never ever let me down in all that time.  After I retired it from regular use in 1995 I began the process of restoring it as funds and time allowed: first the body and paint (she had the usual back window rust, but not bad otherwise), then onto the engine and trans, while fixing other small things along the way.  She's in fine form now, and I enjoy driving it immensely.  I usually get several "NC's" ("Nice Car!") thumbs up each time I take her out on a drive.  I've had many good times with this car over the decades, and still get that tingle of pride and admiration every time I gaze over its fine lines to get behind the wheel to again enjoy its sparkling performance.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Garysriv said:

Love the color....

Hi Gary,

Yes, my '67 Vette is painted Marina Blue.  The color gets lots of compliments.  It really 'glows' under streetlights which make it look purplish midnight blue.

Seeing your '65 Corvair reminds me of a friend who owned several.  He had a tee shirt made up that said "What a Pair, Me and my Corvair!"  That gave me a laugh, for sure.

Cheers, 

5 hours ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Hi Gary,

Yes, my '67 Vette is painted Marina Blue.  The color gets lots of compliments.  It really 'glows' under streetlights which make it look purplish midnight blue.

Seeing your '65 Corvair reminds me of a friend who owned several.  He had a tee shirt made up that said "What a Pair, Me and my Corvair!"  That gave me a laugh, for sure.

Cheers, 

Yes Corvairs have quite a following.  I have a friend who's had 73 of them since high school.  This one is probably my 6th.  Cool car, 180hp from 164 cubic inches, I put meth injection on it too.

0511181624c.jpg

Edited by Garysriv (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Hi Gary,

Cheers, 

I had a C6, great car, Z51 optioned in Lemans blue..  Prefer the C6 over the C7.  Kinda been looking at C2's, C3's 68-71.  Your '67 I think is the nicest year of all...

• Like 1

I'm 48, i've owned my 64 for 2.5 years. When I bought it, it had been sitting for 10 years. I thought it was going to be a simple fluid and hose change, 2 weeks tops. Turned into rewiring almost everything firewall forward. Love the car, fun to work on, making sure everything is done best as possible. I had a 67 mustang daily driver for the past 15 years, but the motor was giving up, so I did too. Pretty much gave the car away. Definitely a buyers market right now.

Current daily driver is a 92 vette. Nice comfortable car, easy to drive, but it's not so easy to get in and out of.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jsgun said:

Current daily driver is a 92 vette. Nice comfortable car, easy to drive, but it's not so easy to get in and out of.

That would be correct. What will eventually separate me from my 1985 Corvette will be the point when it is no longer worth the pain and agony required for entry and exit—such a contrast with the newer ones.

I'm 59 and own a 65 GS. This is my 4th Riv. The first was a 65 I bought and restored while in high school as my first car - silver with blue cloth interior. I unfortunately sold it in 85 when I needed some $. The second was a 97 that I owned for about a year in 2000-2001 - loved the car but it was a tight fit for me due to its somewhat limited headroom. Third was a 67 I bought from the original owner in 2008 - beautiful car - turquoise with a white vinyl top, but I sold it in 2017 to get back to my first love the 65. Hope to have the current 65 back on the road in a few months - its getting stripped followed by some minor body work and a new coat of its original seafoam green paint.

My other cars include a 61 Electra 225 4 door Riviera hardtop (6 window) and a 74 Opel Manta Luxus that I've owned since 79.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mp67riv said:

I'm 59 and own a 65 GS. This is my 4th Riv. The first was a 65 I bought and restored while in high school as my first car - silver with blue cloth interior. I unfortunately sold it in 85 when I needed some $. The second was a 97 that I owned for about a year in 2000-2001 - loved the car but it was a tight fit for me due to its somewhat limited headroom. Third was a 67 I bought from the original owner in 2008 - beautiful car - turquoise with a white vinyl top, but I sold it in 2017 to get back to my first love the 65. Hope to have the current 65 back on the road in a few months - its getting stripped followed by some minor body work and a new coat of its original seafoam green paint.

My other cars include a 61 Electra 225 4 door Riviera hardtop (6 window) and a 74 Opel Manta Luxus that I've owned since 79.

You've got an Opel Manta?!  I love those, have been looking at them lately.  I had a Manta Rallye about 35 years ago.  Can You post a pic?

18 hours ago, j3studio said:

That would be correct. What will eventually separate me from my 1985 Corvette will be the point when it is no longer worth the pain and agony required for entry and exit—such a contrast with the newer ones.

Same here. I know i'll eventually have to sell it because I can't get out of it anymore. The tall door sills are what kills it for me. I'm 6'5", so it's my own problem for picking such a small, low car.

I was born in April of 1952 and my Dad and I went to the Buick dealer in may of 1964 and purchased ours.  It is safe in my garage and I will own it 'till the day I die.The dash plaque says "Riviera, built expressly for G A Hussey. (my Dad and I had the same name!) 

Concours2009-668.jpg

IMG_3358.jpg

IMG_3360.jpg

IMG_3361.jpg

IMG_3363.jpg

• Like 6