Pines Winterfront Thermostat

Guest Dunc126

Guest Dunc126

Any one have any idea where I could get a reasonably priced Pines Winterfront Thermostat? The bellows on the one from my 1930 Commander is shot. I've found one website that sells rebuilt units, but there almost $400 for the bellows alone. Thanks again! Duncan

Guest Dunc126

I was thinking of making one. It's a sealed unit which fits into the radiator tank. I think it opens at around 140 F or so, I'm not 100% sure though. It's a thermostatic bellows, made of brass, about 2 inches in diameter, and 2.25 inches tall when fully compressed. Steam traps, used in steam heating systems, use almost the exact same bellows system, although from what I’ve seen, the bellows are much smaller. I’ve found a few manufactures who make these bellows using hydraulic dies, but I don’t think they would be willing to do a one-off project. </SPAN>

OK Duncan. Now this is getting interesting. You were holding out on us! It looks to me like this company might already make one in the size you need. Sigma-Netics - Metal Bellows, Aerospace Bellows, Aneroid Bellows, Bellows Valve, Flexible Bellows, Formed Bellows, Hydroformed Bellows, Metal Bellows, Metallic Bellows, Stainless Steel Bellows, Steel Bellows, Air Pressure Switches, Aneroid Bellows, Bpost-63449-143141796192_thumb.jpg

In addition to sensing pressure, we also manufacture hydroformed metal bellows, and utilize the bellows to create liquid filled bellows assemblies and thermostats to sense temperature. We provide bellows and assemblies to a wide variety of markets, including; HVAC, Medical, Chemical, and Electrical Distribution Equipment.

Edited by Dwight Romberger (see edit history)

Guest Dunc126

I'm going to shoot Sigma-Netics an email today with the dimensions of the bellows I’m after and see what they come back with. I was also looking at this company: Cliflex: Hydroform Metal Bellows, and it looks like they manufacture pretty much the same line of products. I’ll let you know what I learn. I’m sure if they have a compatible size, it will be loads cheaper than the $400 ones, even if I have to do some modifications to the ends to make it work in the original Pines’ unit. </SPAN>

This is the first antique car I’ve worked on, and I’ve found that I really have to think outside the box sometimes to find a solution to some of the problems I’ve run into. I’m glad that this board exists so I can bounce ideas off of folks who know a heck of a lot more than I do about these things.</SPAN>

I keep you posted on what I find out. </SPAN>

I was thinking of making one. It's a sealed unit which fits into the radiator tank. I think it opens at around 140 F or so, I'm not 100% sure though. It's a thermostatic bellows, made of brass, about 2 inches in diameter, and 2.25 inches tall when fully compressed. Steam traps, used in steam heating systems, use almost the exact same bellows system, although from what I’ve seen, the bellows are much smaller. I’ve found a few manufactures who make these bellows using hydraulic dies, but I don’t think they would be willing to do a one-off project. </SPAN>

I don't think I have an accurate thermometer, but I do have a brass bellows thermostat from an aircooled VW bug. I suspect they must open at a higher temp, but that is a guess. The size sounds really close. I also don't know what the working length is; meaning total movement at whatever temp range.

Vw's had it under the center of the two cylinders on the passenger side, in the airflow leaving the cyls and head. It is hooked with linkage, to flaps that seal off the cooling air from the fan, which is attached to the generator, inside the rounded fan shroud.

here are some numbers copied from one; 65*/170*

I assume celsius. I don't know if that is the working range, from start to end?

1-7/8" dia bellows

bellows body is 1-1/4", but has a removable cylindrical linkage adapter that makes total length to 2-1/8". That extension is maybe 1/4 to 5/16 dia, and has internal threads on both ends. It changes a larger thread dia on the bellows, to a smaller dia thread for the linkage.

post-30776-143141803798_thumb.jpg

This will not assist you in finding the replacement thermostat that you are looking for but for those who might happen on this thread in the future I am attaching some information from my files on the topic. The two pages are from the December 1929 Studebaker Service Bulletin #44-A. The photo is an original glossy from 1929. It should be noted that the shutters were used for a relatively short period in late 1929 and early ’30. Started on the FE President at serial 6019165 and the FH at 7027014. On the FD Commander Eight at serial 8018577.

post-30776-143141803751_thumb.jpg

post-30776-143141803764_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Thank you for posting my pictures . My question is my Pines Winter Front has all these parts inside . When I got the car they were all mixed up in a box . Do they go inside the brass container basket third picture in order like in the second picture . Or am I missing two discs with holes in them that go at either end ? So there is no damage to the discs from the container basket and the piston in the fourth picture . Would someone have a picture or repair manual showing how they are placed . I checked out Classic and Exotic cars but they seem different or I missed them when looking .

• 2 years later...
  • 5 years later...