1932 G44 Truck

farrellg

Radiator cap is just a plastic fuel cap someone stuck in there. Shroud has a nice lip around oval so, either someone spent a lot of time to modify or took from another vehicle. Hard to find photos of opening, but I know my 39 & 31 are round. I can certainly fix, but before I do anything, I want to make sure it is not the way it was supposed to be. 1932 I believe for ram cap, but not sure if they would have been on this model.

The oval radiator cap opening was common on that size 1931 DB truck. The hood nameplates match 1931 also, but they may have been on the '30 and '32. Also...no ram ornament on that size truck. I believe it looks something like this...

post-37352-143141786456_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I was kidding om the cap deal, here is your truck as new, 185, 165,195 off the top of my head, same model just different equipment

post-48869-143141786491_thumb.jpg

Not sure if you realize it or not but these 31 series are F series trucks though, the picture above would be the F-62 more precisely.

I think these will do but if they will not I will send original photos to your e-mail

Original Publication date April 1932

post-48869-14314178652_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143141786527_thumb.jpg

All of the various makes of trucks and ag tractors with an oval cap that i've seen, had an oval neck. The oval shape was to make it easier when filling from a bucket.

I think that may be a car radiator in a truck shell.

All of the various makes of trucks and ag tractors with an oval cap that i've seen, had an oval neck. The oval shape was to make it easier when filling from a bucket.

I think that may be a car radiator in a truck shell.

It DOES look like the wrong radiator, but I have never looked down inside one to know.

Is it possible to say that since the frame number is 8,602,4XX that this would have been numbered in 1932? I don't see a 3 Ton frame with this range of numbers. Thoughts?

I know we had a similar discussion about this but it may have been a discussion I had via e-mail with a D.B truck owner, I just cannot remember but upon looking into his frame number initially I was convinced it was made at an early point 32 or late 31 ( something like that ) but then after reviewing serial number data labeled on the parts books and comparing that with some other data within service bulletins I was found too be incorrect. It was found that because of increasingly slow sales during 31 and 32 frames/serial numbers were dead in the water at one point and then all of a sudden shot off like a rocket.

I wish I could be more specific with your serial number, I guess I should try first though to look and see if I have anything this late for serial numbers other than what you have, I will do so and let you know.

Here are a couple of headlamp bezels I will donate for the cost of shipping. Sorry, I cannot find my extra lens. There is a guy on the Plymouth part of the forum here who has a correct lens for sale. He goes by "Broker Len".

post-37352-143141790262_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143141790271_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143141790279_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143141790287_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

George I think this will at least partially answer your question or add too the confusion, it is the first thing I ran across, maybe I can find something else.

This info was taken from D.B truck service bulletin to all dealers dated Jun 30 1932, it lists correct instruction manuals that should be referenced when servicing trucks, clearly shows your frame number as being categorized under the G series trucks ( 43/44 ) round about April of 32, second edition not listed might technically be the manual you should be looking for, I would need to check if I have any sort of reference point as to how often they released issues apart from one another to get a better idea of the proper edition

At least it answers this question with certainty ..........Is it possible to say that since the frame number is 8,602,4XX that this would have been numbered in 1932? I don't see a 3 Ton frame with this range of numbers. Thoughts?

post-48869-143141791274_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Will you post a photo showing cab number/location, unless I am missing it I do not see where you have done so

Can you also post the serial number information you are using, post the page of refernce

George ( or anyone ) maybe silly question but have you ever tried to use the starting ending serial numbers found on the covers of these book to try and better pinpoint when models were introduced specifically according to Chrysler/D.B.

For instance affective serial numbers Detroit built trucks on this two tone 8,600,000 and above, pages dated Sept 1930, I would assume at this point that whatever was avail next to us as a reference that those numbers might help us pinpoint closer serial numbers such as your own to fall within specific dates, I hope you get my meaning.

post-48869-143141791298_thumb.jpg

Jason,

I'm trying to understand how you would go about that since the Parts List books don't have a date other than the published date pages or the "corrected" pages.

Trying to follow along using this 2 ton parts book I have that covers the 150" & 165" F series, according to the published date pages inside this book it was Sept 1, 1930 (no corrected pages inserted into this particular book however). I did notice the writing on the top of the 1 1/2 ton book you posted and this 2 ton book I have notice the pencil writing at the top seem to be written by the same exact person ironically. Don't know if that matters but just thought I'd point that out.

Also,

I'm posting a pic out of the Feb 79 WPC news that shows "The NEW Dodge 3 Ton" truck in the upper middle of the photo, the truck just to the right of the snow plow truck (notice the long exterior drivers mirrror). Again, not sure it matters but figured it wouldn't hurt to post these and hope it helps somehow. I would be curious to know if George's truck shows any signs of the bed being a stake bed at one time.

post-69994-14314179135_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143141791378_thumb.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Hopefully this will be a good example, you posted an image above of two ton parts book, I cannot read the serial numbers at the bottom since the pict. is fuzzy but here is an image of my different two ton.

You say your pages are dated Sept 1930, my pages are dated July 1 1929, Jan 15 1930 and Jun 15 1930 so it would be safe to assume that all frame numbers we find between ( roundabout ) ( D-177373 ) Jan 1929 ( mine ) and ( D-xxx whatever yours says ) Sept 1930 ( yours ) are going to be solid reference points for dating/build dates for these trucks.

Hope this makes sense, as far as I know there simply are no other indicators of determining serial number to specific year applications, I bet there is something within Chrysler Historical archives but I dont foresee that surfacing anytime soon so we have to work with what we have.

We have already proven this works on your own truck, this was if you remember how I initially dated your truck a while back and you proved to be very close by getting the build card.

Sent you a PM BTW

post-48869-143141791411_thumb.jpg

Sent you that P.M and then I came across this one I did not know I had, assuming ( please verify ) that your serial numbers ( that are fuzzy ) match these. This book is dated Sept 1930 and corrected March 1931, anyway offer still stands as it makes no matter to me regarding the first half of the message ( PM ) I sent you.

Let me know

post-48869-143141791442_thumb.jpg

George I think this will at least partially answer your question or add too the confusion' date=' it is the first thing I ran across, maybe I can find something else.

This info was taken from D.B truck service bulletin to all dealers dated Jun 30 1932, it lists correct instruction manuals that should be referenced when servicing trucks, clearly shows your frame number as being categorized under the G series trucks ( 43/44 ) round about April of 32, second edition not listed might technically be the manual you should be looking for, I would need to check if I have any sort of reference point as to how often they released issues apart from one another to get a better idea of the proper edition

At least it answers this question with certainty ..........Is it possible to say that since the frame number is 8,602,4XX that this would have been numbered in 1932? I don't see a 3 Ton frame with this range of numbers. Thoughts?[/quote']

Jason, can you expand the photo to include the G44, for some reason I can't see G44 Second edition.

Jason, can you expand the photo to include the G44, for some reason I can't see G44 Second edition.

I dont have it either, my comment was derived from what text was given and how I interpret it. Their was a second edition, maybe a third and more but I do not have the part numbers within this listing for those books.

Next page continues with Plymouth lit.

Now I understand. Keep your eyes open for G44 materials. I would like to find everything I can to hopefully identify it as original. I will try Chrysler Historical this week. But they don't have much for most trucks in this era from what I have found.

Now I understand. Keep your eyes open for G44 materials. I would like to find everything I can to hopefully identify it as original. I will try Chrysler Historical this week. But they don't have much for most trucks in this era from what I have found.

D-1653 is G43.44, you see that correct?

Its showing you that G-43/44 serial numbers carried into 1932 and the serial numbers being issued were still in the 8,600,901 range or to say it another way just shortly prior to your own serial which is 8,602,4XX, do you understand/see this now?

The 185 W.B truck that was first introduced approx Feb 31 which was the same ( or nearly the same ) chassis which started the G series.

Its the same as the DA 120 and DA 124, one led to the other due partly in my opinion to consolidation of slow moving chassis

Ill use your word of conjecture at this point which is often all we have but my reasoning appears plausible at this point considering what data we do have to work with.

Its showing you that G-43/44 serial numbers carried into 1932 and the serial numbers being issued were still in the 8,600,901 range or to say it another way just shortly prior to your own serial which is 8,602,4XX, do you understand/see this now?

The 185 W.B truck that was first introduced approx Feb 31 which was the same ( or nearly the same ) chassis which started the G series.

Its the same as the DA 120 and DA 124, one led to the other due partly in my opinion to consolidation of slow moving chassis

Ill use your word of conjecture at this point which is often all we have but my reasoning appears plausible at this point considering what data we do have to work with.

Ok, I hope this doesn't confuse things but if it does, then please just disregard.

In the sentence I highlighted from this post you made, please explain how can it be that the serial numbers in the 2 ton books that we both have for the F series trucks begin with the Detroit # of 8,700,001 with the date of Sept 1,1930 on the published date but yet George's truck has a serial number that is prior to the 8,700,001 # but yet it mentions in the clip you posted on post 54 that George's 3 ton G-44 was produced in 1932 ? Help....

Ok, I hope this doesn't confuse things but if it does, then please just disregard.

In the sentence I highlighted from this post you made, please explain how can it be that the serial numbers in the 2 ton books that we both have for the F series trucks begin with the Detroit # of 8,700,001 with the date of Sept 1,1930 on the published date but yet George's truck has a serial number that is prior to the 8,700,001 # but yet it mentions in the clip you posted on post 54 that George's 3 ton G-44 was produced in 1932 ? Help....

It does not say that it was introduced in 1932, it states or implies that given serial number was manufactured/assigned sometime after April 1932 the way that I am reading it.

As far as the two ton books that we both have after looking inside the front first page of my own I can see that there it is obvious that my book is made up from corrected pages, my front page clearly states 150,165,190 W.B where the cover seemingly only covers 150 and 156 W.B.

More data is needed, I do not have all the answers, I am merely throwing out my interpretations in some cases on how I am reading/seeing material that we do have available. Food for thought in some cases, nothing more in others but I do believe I am onto something here.

I am following and agree. I just did not see G44 only G43 in the manual list picture. I m traveling, but here is the link to the serial number page I am using. My truck parts manual is the same for the most part.

Dodge Truck Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Decoder

I will keep looking but I do not think you will find there is much difference found between the 43 and 44 except equipment possibly W.B ect.

This is what makes the hobby fun. Just like CSI.

When I look at the truck serial number pages, it looks to me that ranges of serial numbers were applied to models. You will see a starting number of 8,600,XXX on several different models. I was told by Chrysler Historical, when researching my first truck, that trucks were not built with just one model on the line. For instance, you could have a one ton, followed by a 3 ton, followed by a 1/2 ton on the line at any one time. I have no way to verify this, but that is what I was told. Also, as I scan the serial number lists, there seems to be many situations higher numbers with earlier dates. Hence one can't look at the serial numbers sequentially as a whole over all models, only for a specific model / time period. That is my theory based on what I am seeing.

Here is what I do know/can show, G-43 G-44 were two ton models, G-43 W.B was 136, 44 was 165

Period publications are listing the 43 as the standard W.B but then mentioning a maximum W.B of 165, they are grouping the 43 and 44 together this way because the models are so similar.

Within the 29-39 MPB

There was a special model indicated as a G-43-22

There was also a 4 cyl version avail as the UG 43/44 and another special model labeled the UGS-55 These special models are listed in the special model section of the 3 volume 29-39 MPB and indicate they shared or interchanged many parts with the G-44 and amongst themselves.

We know that the serial number you found on your frame was still a good number that was used beyond April of 32.

The only issue we have is the overall length of W.B which only matches the predecessor to the G series, a series that for some reason never seems to have been assigned a model code.

I still say that that there was such a downturn in sales that these frames were manufactured, stored in excess and were never assigned a serial number until the units were actually sold, this would save D.B the expense of having to scrap all these frames due to outdated models/frame serial numbers.

No-one wants last years model in other words. We have all of the above data and the only thing we are assuming is the portion/explanation for why your truck has the 185 frame.

Jason,

Ok, I follow..

definately,,, more work will always need to be done but as always I believe you and George are both onto something here...

BTW my 2 ton book also mentions the 150, 165 & 190"wb as well so I'm thinking our books are identical.

Edit : Great Explanation by the way. Sounds very plausible, especially because of the depression.

George

let me know if you would like some scans of the 2 ton book. The book shows a 2 ton stakebed in the front if you want a pic of it.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

This is what makes the hobby fun. Just like CSI.

When I look at the truck serial number pages, it looks to me that ranges of serial numbers were applied to models. You will see a starting number of 8,600,XXX on several different models. I was told by Chrysler Historical, when researching my first truck, that trucks were not built with just one model on the line. For instance, you could have a one ton, followed by a 3 ton, followed by a 1/2 ton on the line at any one time. I have no way to verify this, but that is what I was told. Also, as I scan the serial number lists, there seems to be many situations higher numbers with earlier dates. Hence one can't look at the serial numbers sequentially as a whole over all models, only for a specific model / time period. That is my theory based on what I am seeing.

You should have ( maybe still can ) ask them to show you documentation/proof of this, I am sure that if they offer such a profound statement they can back it up with documentation. BTW I have heard/read the same thing but I do not know when or where.

George,

what info have you been able to pull from the motor ? Have you had any luck finding a code ?

Yes a picture/location would be nice, several pictures of both sides of engine ( motors are electric :) ) and please do not forget me on the cab serial number plate photo/location when you are back home.

George, also,

I'd be very curious to know if the engine is stamped with the "DD" prefix .

I'm of the same mind as Jason that the 185 was not specified in the codes (hence the weight confusion also BTW I believe the two go hand in hand in this case) and when looking at the dash tag it sure looks like a 165. Sorry George I don't mean to be so sceptical but, I'm just not seeing that as an 8, to me that's a 6. If you can clean it gently somehow without loosing it that would solve alot of things as I'm sure your aware.. if you do clean it please be very gentle.

I agree with you. I have looked at the cab data plate with a jewelers loop. I believe it is a 6. But confusing is the data plate shows this as a 3 Ton, and I don't find any serial number list with a 3 Ton G44. I do find a reference to a G44 3 ton in one of my books on Dodge, but have not found anything from Dodge to support this. Also, the frame number appears correct to the G44 still making this a mystery in progress. At the end of the day, it is what it is and we may never know the real history or how it came to be. But this is the real fun part and I love all the Ideas from everyone on this one. Wouldn't it be neat if it were factory and one of one or very few.

I will take some pictures of motor and cab number plate tomorrow.

Interesting Jason, the cab number is B22LR13878. Could that 22 be a link to the G43-22 special ? Could this be a G44-22 Special?

I briefly looked into what exactly the special entailed and found nothing, I will look again tomm evening and post some photos of the sheet that mentions that anyway

I cannot read the data plate, will you explain to me where you are seeing a 3 ton rating? Makes no sense for a G43/44 to claim 3 ton when considering anything corporate I am looking at but instead should list as 2 ton, on the other hand period trade publications are listing it as 1-3 or 1-4 ton, cannot remember.

Jason, the trade items etc... That is what I have seen with 3 Ton. But never any note of it in serial number list. I have attached a clearer plate below. Total capacity is 10,500 minus chassis weight 3250 equals 7,250. Minus the weight of a bed, let say 1,200 lbs leaves you with a capacity of 6,000 or 3 tons.

post-69599-143141791719_thumb.jpg

I agree with you. I have looked at the cab data plate with a jewelers loop. I believe it is a 6. But confusing is the data plate shows this as a 3 Ton, and I don't find any serial number list with a 3 Ton G44. I do find a reference to a G44 3 ton in one of my books on Dodge, but have not found anything from Dodge to support this. Also, the frame number appears correct to the G44 still making this a mystery in progress. At the end of the day, it is what it is and we may never know the real history or how it came to be. But this is the real fun part and I love all the Ideas from everyone on this one. Wouldn't it be neat if it were factory and one of one or very few.

I will take some pictures of motor and cab number plate tomorrow.

Interesting Jason, the cab number is B22LR13878. Could that 22 be a link to the G43-22 special ? Could this be a G44-22 Special?

That would be neat to find that yours was the only one in existance, but one thing is for sure, that bugger is very rare regardless.

There has to be an answer for the 185 George, I know your having fun searching for it..... you'll find it, just keep lookin.