1932 G44 Truck

farrellg

I am looking for any information on the G44 model Truck. I have some info from the truck parts book and DB magazine, but trying to figure out if there was ever a 3 ton 185" wheel base model. It appears the G44 was only 32 & 33. I do see reference to a 185" in 1931 but without the G model code. I am trying to determine originality of a vehicle. Being a truck, who knows what may have been done to it in 80 years. Also, any idea on serial location on this vehicle would help too.

Hi George,

how did you come to the conclusion that it's a G44 model, did you find a tag or ID plate or numbers off the engine ? If so, any chance you could tell us what it says.... or better yet pics would help more if you have access to the truck. Pics are always good ;)

post-69599-143141772608_thumb.jpgGot it off dash tag. Tag is universal for G43 and G44. Has both listed. G-43-A-Wheelbase 136, G-44-A-Wheelbase 165 (or 185, cant read it that well). I have a cab number of B22LR139XX. Have not located a serial yet. However, my parts book and other books I have only list 136 and 165 wheelbases. And only 2 ton models. According to plate, this would be a 3 ton. Roughly 3200 vehicle weight and 10500 gvw making capacity just over 6000 lbs. So it is a little bit of a mystery. Serial number will help when I can find. But doing this remote so have to bear with me. Edited by farrellg (see edit history)

Could it be that it's a 165 WB and your possibly seeing it wrong ? To me that tag reads 165 which would put it in the 32-33 range that you spoke of in the 2 Ton package with a 6cyl. So as you say once you find the serial # location you'll have your answer. Let us know...

If you do find the number it's showing the follow #'s as you know, but I'm including the Canadien number as well because I can't recall if you have that info:

starting serial # 8,600,901 for trucks made in Detroit.

Stockton CA models serials started at 9,272,601

Canadien made models started at 8,933,001

Silly question but, have you actually measured the WB on the truck for verification that it is a 185"?

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Personnally I did not measure. However, I am being told it measures at 185". Hence my trying to narrow down what this is. But if I am reading the plate right, it makes this a 3 ton regardless of the wheelbase. And what is funny, in the serial number lists I have, I do not see any 3 ton G-44's. Only two ton. As I get more info, I will post, but this one is a bit of a mystery at this point. As the plate itsetf, just on the weight and model, dont line up with the serial number lists.

You and stakeside come up with some good ones.... ( I personally love the research )

I don't want to sound like an ahole but I would at least ask the owner if he measured to the center of hub to hub or, did he measure outside of the tires just to make darn sure that we eliminate any confusion.

I understand what you mean by the weight, that is and odd one for sure which is why I'd double check how the measurement was taken then if we need to hunt for more info we can. It kinda avoids a wild goose chase of sorts, you understand...

Third party situations can get way off track if one piece of info is misrepresented as we all know.

G-43/44 Standard W.B 136 maximum 165

Gross vehicle weight 10500 Chassis stripped 3345

Tire size B 7.00 by 20 front DB 7 .00 by 20 rear

Carter carb originally

Delco electronics of course

Chassis Price 795.00

6 cyl 217 C.I. 75 H.P 3200 RPM

Originally a governed engine

5 speed trans

Tonnage rating 1-3 tons

Approx dates of manufactue April 1932 - Sept 1933 but conflicting information found

I have serial number location on engine side of cowl. I have not verified this specific location

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Jason, that helps, but the mystery is the plate that says 185". I am wondering if this could possibly be a "Special" or maybe a 1931 3 ton left over with a new 32 steel cab. Will know more after this week end as I view it myself. The picture does not give me enough clarity to see if it says 165 or 185. But I am told it actually measures 185 axle center to center. If it truly says and measures 185, it dies appear in any model list I can find. The key will be for me to find the serial.

Blowing up the picture it does appear to be 185, hard to tell though for certain, I guess it would be best to see it yourself first and then we can go from there with trying to find additional info.

There is as you mentioned a 185 W.B model 31, I will see if I can find the specs for that truck and post them just for the heck of it.....I am not sure how many 185s there are though, I think maybe just that one within this time frame however there were some models that of course exceeded this WB as well.

Tractor trailer trucks or 6 wheelers and the like

I will know more after the weekend and will post more pictures. This truck has duals.

I did some quick calculations based on a picture, overal length, length of cab and other know dimensions, and came up with a wheel base of 184. So I think odds are pretty good that the actual wheel base is 185. Once the tag is verified and serial number, it will give me the data to hopefully track this down. Stay tuned.

Edited by farrellg (see edit history)

George I actually have the 31 3 ton parts book and will find it.

I have the mentioned specs as well more handy and avail and if you would like to see them first let me know, it will take a bit to get at the 3 ton book but will work on it just for curiosity sake.

D.B 185 W.B first reported Feb 1931, if my hunch is correct it was avail in a 135 165 and the 185, I believe these were all the same models although model unknown at this point.

3 ton, I believe this truck was the predecessor to the G series we are discussing now. ..........Ok yes confirmed now that this truck was the truck that led up unto the G series, so Feb 31 to April of 32

Reported a minimum of 165 and then 185 W.B

4720 stripped chassis weight

32 by 6 front DP 34 by 7 rear

6 cyl

It goes on and on and can be more specific on what you need, just ask

See, this makes sense with what I know so far. What is funny is that I cannot find a G44 in the serial number list at 185". I will have more info on Sunday to hopefully solve this bit of a mystery. Jason, this helps for now. I will have more questions on Sunday.

Well, I own a new truck. Still trying to find and raise the frame number. The body number is B22LR13978. The wheel base is 185. The frame was not extended and appears to be original. Has the reinforcement plates as shown in the Crestline Dodge Trucks book by Bunn, Page 58 upper right. All steel cab. I believe it to be a 1932. Engine is 6cyl engine number D 51766. I believe I may be missing a couple numbers to the left. They were stamped pretty light ad having trouble making the out. Jason, if you three ton book shows serial number location, that would be helpful as I am having trouble finding it on the frame. Haven't given up the usual places yet. More elbow grease required.

Well' date=' I own a new truck. Still trying to find and raise the frame number. The body number is B22LR13978. The wheel base is 185. The frame was not extended and appears to be original. Has the reinforcement plates as shown in the Crestline Dodge Trucks book by Bunn, Page 58 upper right. All steel cab. I believe it to be a 1932. Engine is 6cyl engine number D 51766. I believe I may be missing a couple numbers to the left. They were stamped pretty light ad having trouble making the out. Jason, if you three ton book shows serial number location, that would be helpful as I am having trouble finding it on the frame. Haven't given up the usual places yet. More elbow grease required.[/quote']

I am going to need a couple thing for it. Passenger side headlight bucket is crushed ad glass and ring are gone. And like all my others when found, no radiator cap.

post-69599-143141780569_thumb.jpg

I am going to need a couple thing for it. Passenger side headlight bucket is crushed ad glass and ring are gone. And like all my others when found, no radiator cap.

Alright ! Very Nice looking truck George ...

love the duallys, front turn lights and the large side mirror along with the 185" confirmed now that has to be a rare bird Congrats ! Looks like you deserve it after dealing with the elements....

BTW, what is up with every DB truck missing the radiator caps ? Easiest part to remove and sell I guess..?

Very nice solid choice George ... That really is a gorgeous nostalgic looking truck that just oozes American pride and history !

Whats the inside condition like , more pics, more pics... !:)

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

That's a beautiful truck! Got the name and numbers from the other lens? I may have a lens and bezel for you. Show us a photo of the bottom of the bezel and we can match it. John

John, thanks. Lens is a Twilite. I will take apart and get a number.

I found serial number 8,602,4XX. This puts in range as the 32/33 G44. Number puts it nearer the closing serial. Although it measures 185. Using a loop, I think the dash tag says 165. But I got to tell you, I have used my wife's jewelry loop for the first time on a truck project. And I could go either way on the 165 / 185 on the tag. The frame is not modified in any way and this just seems to be an odd duck. The payload is 3 ton according to dash tag. Here are a few more photos to share.

post-69599-143141781447_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143141781478_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143141781482_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143141781485_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143141781488_thumb.jpg

John' date=' thanks. Lens is a Twilite. I will take apart and get a number.

I found serial number 8,602,4XX. This puts in range as the 32/33 G44. Number puts it nearer the closing serial. Although it measures 185. Using a loop, I think the dash tag says 165. But I got to tell you, I have used my wife's jewelry loop for the first time on a truck project. And I could go either way on the 165 / 185 on the tag. The frame is not modified in any way and this just seems to be an odd duck. The payload is 3 ton according to dash tag. Here are a few more photos to share.[/quote']

Some more photos

post-69599-143141781609_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143141781612_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143141781616_thumb.jpg

That a great looking truck George, yes I have that book as of about 15 minutes ago, I will post some pictures that may be of interest. Where did you find the number?

Serial was located drivers side, just rear of the front spring mount. Numbers are double spaced unlike my U series Trucks that are single. Made it a little harder to find. Also it was high on the frame rail instead of low like the U's.

It is in pretty good shape. It has been painted in its life. A little bit of bondo, but over all very solid and straight for a truck.

Will get it put away soon as we need to finish the other two before starting this one, but will get it running and moving around.

I know early Chevrolet used these lenses as well, you have to be careful as I am sure you know with lens size, there were alot of variances. Sizes are marked directly on lens as far as I know.

I know early Chevrolet used these lenses as well, you have to be careful as I am sure you know with lens size, there were alot of variances. Sizes are marked directly on lens as far as I know.

Same lens was used by Chevrolet, but usually had "CHEVROLET" in block letters on them.

I will take the ring off the good one tomorrow and see if there are any numbers. With the bezel on, all I see is Twi-Lite. I will also measure.

Took the ring off. I dont see any numbers. There is a Patent number but would just be guessing even with a magnifying glass. The glass measures 9 ¼” inches edge to edge.<o:p></o:p>

Took the ring off. I dont see any numbers. There is a Patent number but would just be guessing even with a magnifying glass. The glass measures 9 ¼” inches edge to edge.<o:p></o

Sounds like the same lens, to me. Here is the number I meant. It is at the very bottom and in an indentation on the front of the lens edge. Can you see the number "12" on this one? Click on the photo a couple of times to enlarge. Jason...I believe yours are correct for your car also.

post-37352-14314178284_thumb.jpg

That is strange, I would have guessed the truck lenses would be a bit larger. I will see if I can match part numbers between vehilces

There must ave been two H.L lens avail on DH, I have handwritten in pencil ( very neat handwriting, written by someone that was very careful with how he documented things ) that there was an early and a late, hard to read on my copy but the original may be more clear.

As I see it this person is indicating the change was made at car no 3524250 if I am reading correctly and the lens changed from part # 300153 to 321???. I have no later DH parts book and did not bother to look within MPB to verify if this is in fact true.

Anyway April 1931 3 ton book is showing a 521260 part number. I do not know if I have a later 3 ton, I know I have later 2 ton if maybe that would help.

This change in part number could have been due to a number of things none of which mean that the lenses are not in fact nearly if not identical. I would compare as you are doing and go from their.

I am surprised to hear no measurements on the lenses, DA are clearly marked with sizes.

You are correct about the fact that there was a change and that lens #300153 was used for the DH up to car #3524250 but my MPB shows that lens #393161 was used after that serial number. I would not be very surprised to learn that the lens(es) on the truck are the same as the DH6 passenger car since I believe a lot of the so-called commercial cars used a lot of the passenger car stuff.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Just found the number on the good drivers side. Number 22. Truck parts book calls it part number 393161.

So, now that we know they will interchange, I will look for my extra one.

Several days into trying to determine if the G44 is in fact a factory original or made up of piece parts. I have formed some opinions. But I am also looking for opinions from the forum. The facts as I know them to date.

Facts:

1. Truck is on a 3 ton, 185" frame - Serial numbered 8,602,4XX which would put in range of the G44 in the serial number guide.

2. Engine is a 6 cylinder serial 51766. May be preferenced with DB, but DB stamping was very weak and have not been able to confirm for sure.

3. Cab is all steel, id plate is 3 Ton G44. (Serial number lists dont list any 3 Ton G44, however cab data tag does)

4. Cab body number is B22LR13978. I cant link this to any data source I have to help with id.

The confusing part is as follows; there is no G44 listed as a 185" or 3 Ton in any literature I have found to date. There is a 1931 185" 3 Ton listed, but serial number would have been DXXXXXX and not a 8M number. There is no 185" anything in 1932 or 1933 that I can find. The parts on the truck seem to match up with the G44 2 Ton in the Truck Parts Manual with everything I have checked this far.

My opinion on this is that this may have been a left over 1931 185" frame that was used with the new 1932 G44 all steel cab. However, I need some outside ideas on this one. I dont know if there is any precedence of this type of thing happening with other models. I do know the depression years it seems like anything could have happened. I am open to suggestions. My inspection this far does not find anything out of place like a cab swap etc...... It was redone once in its life, but really only paint as far as I can tell. This may be one of those mysteries never solved, but it is sure fun to try.

p.s. Anyone ever find the part number on the frame? if so where?

Edited by farrellg (see edit history)

I would guess that it is one of the two possible assumptions that you have come up with as well, I have a very complete period correct listing of all truck sizes avail at this time and there is no 185 W.B this late. My own car frame that is under my car was switched out at one time with an earlier frame due to collision damage, we do this sort of thing in the collision industry today still.

Might be someone wanted the longer W.B frame so that they could get away with pulling heavier loads but did not want to spend the money to buy a new truck, this was during the time period that laws were still being accumulated/put together to have larger trucks pay higher road taxes ect.

I have a big truck now that is clearly titled as a smaller version cause someone prior to me was clever enough to fiddle with things just enough so that DMV would not realize its size and pulling capacity.

I also think as mentioned that the leftover frame deal is a very real possibility as well, these were the absolute poorest selling years for trucks and these big trucks were absolutely the slowest movers, I have charts that show new truck sales ( by size/state ) for any given year during this time period these show this.

Have fun with it

I would guess that it is one of the two possible assumptions that you have come up with as well, I have a very complete period correct listing of all truck sizes avail at this time and there is no 185 W.B this late. My own car frame that is under my car was switched out at one time with an earlier frame due to collision damage, we do this sort of thing in the collision industry today still.

Might be someone wanted the longer W.B frame so that they could get away with pulling heavier loads but did not want to spend the money to buy a new truck, this was during the time period that laws were still being accumulated/put together to have larger trucks pay higher road taxes ect.

I have a big truck now that is clearly titled as a smaller version cause someone prior to me was clever enough to fiddle with things just enough so that DMV would not realize its size and pulling capacity.

I also think as mentioned that the leftover frame deal is a very real possibility as well, these were the absolute poorest selling years for trucks and these big trucks were absolutely the slowest movers, I have charts that show new truck sales ( by size/state ) for any given year during this time period these show this.

Have fun with it

Jason, All plausable ideas. The thing that is throwing me a bit is the 8M serial number on this frame. In your listing of Trucks, do you find any 185" wheel base that would have had and 8,602,XXX serial number? I dont see any in my lists, but they are limited. Above you posted some facts on the G44. Do you have something that identifies these specifications you could share?

Also, does anyone know when the frame number was applied on the assembly line? Wondering if it was at the time the frame was assembled or when the frame headed down the line to have a body applied?

Couple more pictures. Radiator shroud cap opening puzzles me. Need some help on identifying this one. It is oval and not round. Any idea if this is correct? Also, Dodge emblem is a bit different. May help in pinpointing model/year.

post-69599-14314178642_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143141786424_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143141786428_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143141786432_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143141786436_thumb.jpg

Couple more pictures. Radiator shroud cap opening puzzles me. Need some help on identifying this one. It is oval and not round. Any idea if this is correct? Also, Dodge emblem is a bit different. May help in pinpointing model/year.

I may be wrong but I dont think the fuel tank cap is original in that application, looks like someone has opened up the shroud for some reason

Jason, All plausable ideas. The thing that is throwing me a bit is the 8M serial number on this frame. In your listing of Trucks, do you find any 185" wheel base that would have had and 8,602,XXX serial number? I dont see any in my lists, but they are limited. Above you posted some facts on the G44. Do you have something that identifies these specifications you could share?

Also, does anyone know when the frame number was applied on the assembly line? Wondering if it was at the time the frame was assembled or when the frame headed down the line to have a body applied?

Frame numbers would have been applied last or lastly, the material I specified does not mention serial numbers of units within it, I will attach here the info in a bit