Subscribing to Old Cars Weekly

trimacar

My subscription to Old Cars Weekly expires in March. Received a renewal reminder, "Preferred Customer Renewal Notice", $54.98 for a year, 54 issues.

Went to their website, and you can subscribe online to this newspaper/magazine for $34.98, same number of issues.

Think I'll let mine run out then become a new subscriber, they seem to be the "preferred" ones!!

Beware there prices go all over the map. Used to be a good and relieable untill new owners. now all the want is the almighty dollar. Wish Chet was back. Bill

I just got a mailing that offered it to me at the upper $20 range. Still too high for me. I can get Hemmings Classic Car and Hemmings Muscle Car for $12.00 a year each.

I agree, but in their defense, the publication does come weekly. I'll bet $20-30 dollars barely cover the mailing costs.

I agree, but in their defense, the publication does come weekly. I'll bet $20-30 dollars barely cover the mailing costs.

I have subscribed to all of the aforementioned magazines, and yes, it is published weekly. Compared with the two magazines mentioned, in my opinion, there is much more reading in those two magazines and it is obviously a higher quality printing. This is comparing the cost, 4 issues a month of Old Cars Weekly to 2 issues (1 each of 2) a month of Hemmings Classic Car and Hemmings Muscle Car. I was just stating what I perceive as the better deal for me, not the costs to produce.

I suscribed to Old Cars Weekly for years but the number of pages shrunk and it was just not entertaining or informative anymore so I let it go. It was more advertising than anything else. Hemmings Classic Cars (although it is not necessarily about what I call classic cars) is one of the better magazines I have found. Whoever mentioned the small print, I share your grief. Even wearing glasses it is still hard to read. Worse yet is Motor Trend using colored in paper for 1/3rd of their magazine. Those pages to me are a waste of ink. I absolutely can not read them.

It's not small print, it's these new-fangled printing presses. They print so fast that the end result is fuzzy letters. I first started noticing it when I was about 45 years old, and every year the presses and printing get fuzzier and fuzzier.

One of these days it'll probably be so bad we can't read printed words at all....

I get Old Cars as more of a newspaper for more current hobby news, I skip a lot of their articles. Unfortunately the lead time is still on the long side even with a weekly mailing. I have continued by finding someone to partner with on the subscription. I would have dropped it by now if I was paying the full ride. I have split the subscription for years, changing the partner from time to time. I love Hemmings Classic Cars. Dan Strohl's Hemmings Blog has filled in a lot of my day to day needs, I check it every day along with the forums here. Need an online daily that covers more hobby news. Probably out there and I just haven't found it.

I took Old Cars for over 30 years. In the beginning it was monthly and packed with news and hobby stories. It was exciting to get and read every word, news articles, ads, events. It was so good, I bought all 5 "Best of Old Cars" volumes

for the stories that were to good to save each issue.

For all the reasons listed above, I finally gave it up. Big pet peeve was ads ran until the vehicle sold and dealers ran ads

for cars they didn't have, just to get calls. I now take Classic Cars and read this AACA General Discussion Forum.

Getting back to David's initial post, agree the "preferred subscriber" is the new subscriber indeed!! Just picked up "Road & Track" for 8 bucks, as I have done over the years on and off. I figure I have enough of an interest in new cars that if I read only one or two articles on the performance sedans and sports cars I get my money's worth, recycle to the kid who will do the same, can't go wrong. HMN Classic Cars and Sports & Exotics for $12, not bad either...

A.J. - I agree with your thoughts on HMN - but while I no longer get antsy if it is a few days late when it does show up in the mailbox it is still fun - like a "hi old pal, here I am again... :) "