Sign in to follow this  
MarkV

Looking to maybe buy a Reatta!

Well I am looking to upgrade! I am looking for a clean reatta from 2-3k. I would like to have one with a sunroof and a beige leather interior, good paint and interior. 2 questions, is there anyone in Southern California with one like this for sale? Secondly, what can you folks tell me about the Reattas and what to look for?

I just bought one in LV with 41K miles. There are many for sale. The best one I saw was a Emerald Green 1991 with tan interior in Ohio. Good Luck

Sheba65

You should be able to find something nice-ish in your price range.

I would skip the sunroof option, they take away headroom in an already abbreviated space and the metal panel tends to rust out, even in non-salted environments. If you are looking at a sunroof car, besides checking for proper operation, look carefully at the metal panel if you see ANY evidence of corrosion, the panel is shot and you will be replacing it sooner than later.

Drivetrain is generic GM 3800, bulletproof and inexpensive to keep up.

Brakes on 88-90 is electrically operated with a pump and accumulator rather than a conventional vacuum system. System is great IF it is looked after, but many systems have been neglected by their owners. Plan on becoming conversant in the ins and outs of the system (which can be troubleshooted quite easily), because most mechanics and dealers don't understand the system and will quote sky-high prices to deal with it.

As said, mechanical bits are shared across GM's full-sized line up, but body and glass is Reatta-only and can be expensive. Windshields can run over $2,000.00 new, though you can get a used one somewhat cheaper. The windshield and back window are manufactured with a rubber encapsulation as a single manufactured assembly, so if you're looking at a Reatta with really grotty-looking rubber moldings around windshield and back glass, to make it look new again the entire assembly would need to be changed out rather than just new moldings.

88-89 has the touchscreen, which is very reliable and allows for truly on-board diagnostics. 90-91 went to conventional controls for HVAC and radio and deleted many of the screen's diagnostic and trip computing functions.

'91s have a conventional vacuum ABS braking system and 16" wheels, though there are not that many out there and they seem to command a bit of a premium as far as pricing.

The cars only came fully-equipped. There were only few options:

Sunroof

"16-way" power seat (easily identifiable by thigh bolster design and power recliners)

90-91 had an optional CD player

Car is fun to drive, more of a grand tourer than a sports car, ride is well controlled and compliant and is great for long trips. You should get mid-20s to 30 on the highway, city mileage can be pretty abysmal depending on your local traffic conditions.

Mileage isn't as big a deal as condition. 3800 will run forever.

If the (88-90) car is displaying the red "brake" light while driving and/or the pedal is hard, seller was probably quoted $2K to fix the brakes, by all means beat them up on the price, but know you can fix nearly anything wrong for a great deal less than that.

Well I am looking to upgrade! I am looking for a clean reatta from 2-3k. I would like to have one with a sunroof and a beige leather interior, good paint and interior. 2 questions, is there anyone in Southern California with one like this for sale? Secondly, what can you folks tell me about the Reattas and what to look for?

Craigslist is your friend - los angeles cars & trucks - all classifieds "reatta" - craigslist

If you're in Northern California and need a pair of eyes to look at a car in SoCal, let me know.

No, I am in southern CA! But, I found a couple. I found an 89 that has been sitting but is in good cosmetic condition in and out. It needs to be brought back to running order (it sputters after about 10 secs. then it shuts off). How much is a fair price for it? I have also found a 91 about 6 hours away, but I am more interested in the 89 as it is closer and it has the touch screen.

88-89 had the touch screen and the sunroof did not come into production on the 1988 until around half way thru production.

For the remaining years the sunroof was around 12-15% of the coupe productions so you may look at 6 before you find one. Buy the best one you can afford.

No, I am in southern CA! But, I found a couple. I found an 89 that has been sitting but is in good cosmetic condition in and out. It needs to be brought back to running order (it sputters after about 10 secs. then it shuts off). How much is a fair price for it? I have also found a 91 about 6 hours away, but I am more interested in the 89 as it is closer and it has the touch screen.

Are you referring to the burgundy/tan coupe in the valley; sitting idle for 2+ years? If so, $2,000 and no more. That car needs work!

There is a white/blue '89 in Culver City that seems promising (1989 BUICK REATTA COUPE 2 DOORS AUTO LOADED). And down near San Diego is a tasty, low mileage '88 red/tan (1988 buick reatta).

Also, my experience looking at Reattas is (besides the obvious and checking the brake system), if you are told the car is low on freon, expect to convert the system to 134a and replace the compressor (about $1,000). Most likely new struts and shocks are needed, crank arms probably need attention to open/close headlight covers and check the undercarriage for rust (not an issue if its an all SoCal car).

Edited by Bushwack (see edit history)

Yes that is the one I am speaking of. Have you looked at it in person? What kind of condition are we talking about? The culver city one looks interesting. But, I am not a fan of white/blue. The red/beige one looks interesting but it is above my target price. I would like to have a beige interior and a sunroof if possible.

Yes that is the one I am speaking of. Have you looked at it in person? What kind of condition are we talking about? The culver city one looks interesting. But, I am not a fan of white/blue. The red/beige one looks interesting but it is above my target price. I would like to have a beige interior and a sunroof if possible.

I saw it a while ago (I think!). What turned me off was the high mileage and that it sat for 2 years in weather (but I am particular). I also think the driver's seat had a tear on one panel (a $250 repair). No harm in calling the seller to see the car. *I* would think you can get it for a very good price as it has been for sale for a looong time.