No start 1990 Reatta, Needs ignition switch??

Guest breather

Guest breather

I have a 1990 Reatta that won't start. No clicks or nothing.

For the past few months, it would not start on the first try, but always started on the second. Every once in a while, after driving to a store or somewhere, it won't start. Letting it sit for 15-30 minutes after initial try, it would start and be fine for a while. Now, when I turn the key, NOTHING,NADA! I put in a new starter and crank sensor and still no-start. Before I buy an ignition switch, Does anybody have some more things I can try?? I understand that changing the ignition switch can be quite the chore, not to mention the cost.

ANY IDEAS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

My guess would be the resistor on the key is not making good contact with the contacts just inside the lock cylinder.

Try cleaning the key contacts or try using a different ignition key.

I had one '91 that the resistor on the key was so worn that it would only work intermittently. Used the spare key and no more troubles.

Check this out ans see if it might be your problem.

Battery Cable Checks & Repair - Reatta Owners Journal

It could also be your security system causing the problem. If so sometime cleaning the hole where the key goes in and cleaning the key might help. This will give information about the system.

VATS/Passkey System Bypass Instructions - Reatta Owners Journal

If you do not have a service manual you will probably need to view the one at Reatta Data Page

In section 8A-30-0 is the starter wiring schematic. In addition to the items mentioned in the above post, the first thing the key does is feed to the "starter enable relay" If you think the pass-key module is not grounding the relay coil, you can jumper pin 4 to 1 and that then give you 12V to the starter solenoid, however the circuit goes thru the Transaxle position switch which could be bad... will it start in neutral?

• 4 years later...

Hi all:  I'm having the same exact problem with my ignitions. Bringing into the shop next week.  Retired Mechanic from the Reatta Owners forum site suggested that I may need to adjust the screw at the base of the column on the ignition switch (this is NOT the lock cylinder) or that I may need a new such switch, however the problem is only intermittent, but enough that I don't feel comfortable using my Reatta more.  Anyone have any updated info?  If Breather sees this, did you get to resolution on your same issue?  Thanks.

As some here know I had a lot of experience with C4 Corvettes before I retired and moved.  The 1987 Vette I  had several years ago had the same problem.  Suggestions from the Corvette Forum suggested several things.  The easiest is to use your spare key and clean it well with alcohol.  Get it quite wet and stick it in your ignition switch and pull it back out a few times.  This cleans everything and could help.  Some also suggested doing the VATS bypass mod.  What I finally ended up doing was to read the Field Service Manual and follow the circuit.  I found a bad VATS control module behind the dash.  I replaced it with a used one and all was well

As suggested above, you can do a complete bypass with a few precautions so that the neutral safety feature is still operational.

Good luck.

I had the tumbler replaced late last year on my green 91, and that's when this problem started, prior to that the car just wouldn't start MOST of the time.  Now it mostly starts, just not always when warmed up, limiting my confidence to take it places and do errands, and most of all, do the expensive repaint. I've cleaned the keys, but then again, its a new tumbler, with new keys.  I've tried taking out the VATS module to examine....JEEEEEZ, not easy for a man with normal size hands (am I supposed to admit to normal size?).  Retired Mechanic offered advice on Ronnie's old site, and I'm going to have my mechanic try that, hopefully it works.  Just to be clear, sometimes it takes an extra-special strong tumbler turn to start it, sometimes a little twisty type extra push with my thumb, and sometimes (usually after I've parked it running an errand) it just wont start.  It seems finicky which is why I think it needs an adjustment.  Ronnie, I was scared about this new (for me) forum, but feel great confidence knowing your here.  What do I do about a cranky chime module?  Also Ronnie, have you seen the Polo Green 91 just put up on ebay?  I'm thinking of upgrading.

6 minutes ago, jglawnyc said:

Ronnie, I was scared about this new (for me) forum, but feel great confidence knowing your here.  What do I do about a cranky chime module?  Also Ronnie, have you seen the Polo Green 91 just put up on ebay?  I'm thinking of upgrading.

Don't be afraid of using this forum. I'm willing to help if you have problems. Send me a private message if you have a problem.

As for the cranky chime module, are you talking about the turn signal chime? OR the one that chimes when you have the key in the ignition with the door open? The one that chimes when you have the key in the ignition has been hit or miss every since I've owned my car. It sound kind of creepy when it does work. :)

I just looked at the car on eBay. It looks like a really nice car. The description sounds good but I would want to put eyeballs on it before putting down any money. I have bought two nice cars off eBay but I didn't send any money before I picked up the car. Just my $.02

HUH?!  There is a turn signal chime?  7 years of ownership and I never knew that, I just assumed it was very quiet, in direct contrast to my new Envision, which sounds like being in the first row at Wimbledon.  Just looked at the Journal, nothing on this.  What is the turn signal supposed to sound like if any...can I do a test, replace, etc?  Thanks Ronnie

I just noticed you have a '90. It may not have the turn signal chime like earlier models. You should hear something to remind you the blinker is on.

It would be good if you could put information about your car in you signature like so it will be easy to see. If you need help contact me and I will assist you in doing that.