1953 Chrysler Crown Imperial - $2500

While browsing Craigslist for Appleton, WI, I came across this listing for a '53 Crown Imperial and thought that I should share it with you folks. It's in running condition and has spoke wheels. I think at $2,500 asking price, this could be find for somebody. If one of you has the time, please refresh my memory as to the differences between an Imperial and Crown Imperial of this vintage.

1953 Chrysler Crown Imperial - $2500 (appleton)

3E83Me3F55Gb5E75J6d1dc9199ae1b2401370.jpg

No differences between Imperial and Crwon in 1953. I just lost out on a 53 Imperial 2 door hardtop full-on project. It was on ebay and ended at $486. I was so cheap I didn't even chase that but I did start all bids and hung in there until $481. They only made 853 or so of the 53 Imperial 2 door hardtops and the one I was bidding on had air conditioning.

No differences between Imperial and Crwon in 1953. I just lost out on a 53 Imperial 2 door hardtop full-on project. It was on ebay and ended at $486. I was so cheap I didn't even chase that but I did start all bids and hung in there until $481. They only made 853 or so of the 53 Imperial 2 door hardtops and the one I was bidding on had air conditioning.

I just spotted this and want to state some points. There differences between Imperial and Crown Imperials in 1953. The 4 door sedan is a Custom Imperial and many refer to it as a Crown due to the fact the wheel covers have Crowns on them. The only Crowns that were built in 1953 were 8 passengers limos (divider glass) and 8 passenger sedans. The wheel base is longer with the Custom Imperial being 133.5 and the Crowns being over a foot longer

The two door hardtop Imperial for this year was an Imperial Newport and was built on a 131.5" wheel base. Producton was 823, not 853 as previously stated. My family owned a '53 Imperial Custom 4 door sedan and today I own a '53 Imperial Newport in pretty much original condition with 68K. Oh and the Newports have Crowns on the wheel covers and also on the C pillars. Both sedans have crowns on the trunk and hood.

I just spotted this and want to state some points. There differences between Imperial and Crown Imperials in 1953. The 4 door sedan is a Custom Imperial and many refer to it as a Crown due to the fact the wheel covers have Crowns on them. The only Crowns that were built in 1953 were 8 passengers limos (divider glass) and 8 passenger sedans. The wheel base is longer with the Custom Imperial being 133.5 and the Crowns being over a foot longer

The two door hardtop Imperial for this year was an Imperial Newport and was built on a 131.5" wheel base. Producton was 823, not 853 as previously stated. My family owned a '53 Imperial Custom 4 door sedan and today I own a '53 Imperial Newport in pretty much original condition with 68K. Oh and the Newports have Crowns on the wheel covers and also on the C pillars. Both sedans have crowns on the trunk and hood.

John

You are correct technically. I stated regarding the production of the Newport that they made 853 or so. Not bad for shooting from the hip. The comments I made regarding no "Crown" or no difference between the production Imperials - again I should have been more specific. Every year from, what? 1948 to the Exner 55's, Chrysler or one of it's contractors made the limousine class cars on the LWB. I did not consider that part of the discussion here so did not consider them.

They are fantastic cars for sure. I would say an equal to the much higher production Cadillac 75 series limousine class cars.

You are correct regarding Newport Imperial wheelbase as well. Originally not asked, but even at 131.5" this was an impressive car. Remember that most luxury or upper middle car makes had wheelbases in the 122-124" range.

Whether 853 or 823 production the 1953 Imperial Newport was a fantastic car and I kind of regret not chasing the one on ebay despite it's challenged condition (glorified parts car)

The 1954 Imperial Newport in my opinion had a less attractive grille. Chrysler simply made it busier and added more chrome. The 53 had the 1st year modern Chrysler automatic transmission (2 speed I believe) and the Hemi had more power.

Yet the 53 was superior to the 52 in the hood and windshield, Exner and team doing what they could with a style that originated in 1949, more or less. Some people bash the 49 to 54 Chryslers as the last of the KT Keller cars but when you compare a 53 Imperial Newport next to a 53 Cadillac Coupe deVille and a 53 Lincoln 2 door hardtop, it is not a fair fight. the Imperial has less chrome, is better integrated, is longer and has just as nice if not better interior.

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

John

You are correct technically. I stated regarding the production of the Newport that they made 853 or so. Not bad for shooting from the hip. The comments I made regarding no "Crown" or no difference between the production Imperials - again I should have been more specific. Every year from, what? 1948 to the Exner 55's, Chrysler or one of it's contractors made the limousine class cars on the LWB. I did not consider that part of the discussion here so did not consider them.

They are fantastic cars for sure. I would say an equal to the much higher production Cadillac 75 series limousine class cars.

You are correct regarding Newport Imperial wheelbase as well. Originally not asked, but even at 131.5" this was an impressive car. Remember that most luxury or upper middle car makes had wheelbases in the 122-124" range.

Whether 853 or 823 production the 1953 Imperial Newport was a fantastic car and I kind of regret not chasing the one on ebay despite it's challenged condition (glorified parts car)

The 1954 Imperial Newport in my opinion had a less attractive grille. Chrysler simply made it busier and added more chrome. The 53 had the 1st year modern Chrysler automatic transmission (2 speed I believe) and the Hemi had more power.

Yet the 53 was superior to the 52 in the hood and windshield, Exner and team doing what they could with a style that originated in 1949, more or less. Some people bash the 49 to 54 Chryslers as the last of the KT Keller cars but when you compare a 53 Imperial Newport next to a 53 Cadillac Coupe deVille and a 53 Lincoln 2 door hardtop, it is not a fair fight. the Imperial has less chrome, is better integrated, is longer and has just as nice if not better interior.

Hi Bryan and thanks for your reply. It was only my intention to clairfy for those who don't know. Many who see the "Crown" on one of these cars take it as a "Crown" when it is not. Same thing applies when wire wheels are listed as "Kelsey Hayes". The fact is Chrysler offered wires from 1953 through 1956 and they were supplied by MotorRim & Wheel.

I agree with the build quality you speak of. Chrysler from 1946 through 1954 was great stuff and in my opinion the best offered in America at the time. 1955-56 were also good but not what the earlier cars were. By 1957 the styling was there but quality dropped dramatically. I say this with conviction as I own examples of all.

The 1954 Imperials were the last year for Exner before the big change and "Imperial " becoming its own. Prior to 1955 Imperial was simply the top of the line Chrysler. The grill of the '54 Imperial reminds me of a '53 Chevy and the rear tail lights hang out over the sides of the fenders. To me these were changes just to be different. Also the first year of the one piece rear window but I prefer the '53 three piece as it brings the styling together.

Since I was a kid I'd always dreamed of owning a '53 Newport and had only seen one in the flesh and it was in pieces. My friend StillOutThere discovered a private collection in Centeral California and we went to see it. Both of us left with new rides. My friend scored with Nelson Rockefeller's 1960 Ghia Limo that is really a one off car. I found the '53 Newport with 68K that had lived in a barn (barn find) for a number of years.

Both cars were transported to Southern California where mechanics were addressed. The Ghia then traveled to Texas where StillOutThere lives and the '53 joined our group of other Chryslers. I really enjoy all of my cars but the '53 is really something speical.

post-90971-143141729407_thumb.jpg

post-90971-143141729409_thumb.jpg

Gentleman, I appreciate all of your comments and I am genuinely impressed at all of your collective knowledge. I've never been completely sure whether my postings of somewhat interesting cars that are for sale were appreciated, or rather, something of a nuisance. I'm sure now that anything that spurs this sort of exchange of knowledge is a good thing. It certainly is for me. Again, thank you all for your participation.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

Gentleman, I appreciate all of your comments and I am genuinely impressed at all of your collective knowledge. I've never been completely sure whether my postings of somewhat interesting cars that are for sale were appreciated, or rather, something of a nuisance. I'm sure, now that anything that spurs this sort of exchange of knowledge is a good thing. It certainly is for me. Again, thank you all for your participation.

I can only speak for myself but this is the way WE ALL learn more about our interest (passion). No one has all of the answers and if you approach a topic with an open mind and attitude you will come away a wiser person.

Case in point. I'd always been of the opinion that the '53-4 Imperial Newports were created using a '51-2 frame (131.5"), placing a NYer body with different exterior and interior trim and finally adding a '53 Imperial front clip. My reasoning for this is the low production of these two years, '53 (823) & '54 (1250) for a total of 2073 why would they build a different frame?

Well, just last week I learned from a friend in the east that has owned two '53's and two '54's I was WRONG. He carefully explained to me how it was accomplished. In 1953 the four door Custom Sedan and Town Sedan (divider glass) examples were built on a 133.5" frame. When the Newports came along those frames were actually cut and shortened two inches. My friend told me where to look under mine and find it and he was correct.

So with that info I can now provide accurate information to those not knowing and who have an interest. Had I not bothered to listen to my friend I wouldn't know.;)

• 7 months later...

This very rare and very poor $486 53 Chrysler Imperial Custom Newport finally did enter my place in Sweden. This corpse will be a real challenge. By the time I will do my very best. I will save it and not make any customizing tricks with it. But first I have to complete my 50 Mercury rag top. The car will get a good company with an other 53 Chrysler Imperial Custom Newport and a 54 Chrysler Imperial Custom Newport.

Long time ago this poor one was a CA car. Then it went to OR where it was in a very long storage inside a barn. Then sold to MI where it lost it's Hemi engine. Then sold on eBay for $486. I'm very happy for this rare giant and it's equipped with the Air Temp AC. Lars.

The "CROWN IMPERIAL" is the most expensive Chrysler line car with a 145" WB. An eight passenger or divider window limousine that has Ausco-Lambert 4 wheel disc brakes.

The Imperial is a different cheaper line.

Hello.

Yes, it's right and correct. All others was in the Custom serie with a shorter wheelbase. But even the Imperial Customs had all the beautyful crown emblems so because of that many think they also are Crowns. Note. The Crowns had 12 V but the Customs only 6 V.

Hello.

Yes, it's right and correct. All others was in the Custom serie with a shorter wheelbase. But even the Imperial Customs had all the beautyful crown emblems so because of that many think they also are Crowns. Note. The Crowns had 12 V but the Customs only 6 V.

You are correct in that the Crown series were 12 volt BUT they were positive ground 12 volt. All other Imperials of that era were 6 volt positive ground.

• 5 years later...

Hi out there.

I just found this old comunication about the rare 53-54 Imperial Newports. 

Today I have six 53 Imperial Newports in very different conditions. Two are in following ID number order and a third are also in Sweden but an other owner. xxx xx 15, xxx xx 16, xxx xx 17.

This model are very very rare and a very lyxury car. One of the best of that era I guess.

But the intrest are still pretty low and mostly they go for low $$$$. 

A massproduced and simple 55 Chevy are far more expensive. 

Lars.