1955 Special rear shocks source

Guest Roadster911

Guest Roadster911

Hello, can anyone point me to source for replacement rear shocks for my '55 Buick Special. Mine are missing completely, it's sitting on springs only. Thank you, have a great day. Roman

Our Buicks had lever double action shocks from the factory. I have the factory supplied shocks on mine. The normal procedure is to rebuild the shocks. Your shocks being absent makes this problematic... The price of a pair of lever double acting shocks is shocking !!

Kanter Auto - Product Detail

LEVER ACTION SHOCKS

We supply a full line of quality rebuilt lever action shocks.

The best way to improve the handling of your car is with a new set of shock absorbers from Kanter Auto Products. New shock absorbers keep your wheels in contact with the road and improve steering response and control as well as braking safety and efficiency. A smooth steady ride adds to your driving pleasure and peace of mind and our Limited Lifetime Warranty is your assurance of quality and value.

[TABLE=width: 504]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD]

transparent.gif description

[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]

price per each

[/TD]

[TD]

quantity

[/TD]

[TD]

total

[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Item # 04175G[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=colspan: 4] [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: productdetaildescription, width: 187]Lever Action Shock 1954 - 1955 Buick

rear Exchange only

[/TD]

[TD=class: productdetaildescription, width: 21][/TD]

[TD=class: productdetaildescription, width: 87]

$179.00

[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

Ebay might be a source.

Or, you could go the route of converting to telescoping shocks (as used on '56 Buicks)

But, after the required modifications for Lever shocks to telescoping shocks the cost might even be more....

Guest Roadster911

yeah, that's why I was asking members since Kanter was the only source I could find.... well, will have to wait and see if another member has a set or it comes up on ebay... I had no idea of this setup since it's all gone.... or maybe it's just the absorbers missing, I have to look again, haven't' had the car in air yet and it sits pretty low. Thank you anyway. If by any chance you have picture of what it looks like from underneath, share it, thx.

These Pictures are not mine. I lifted them from AACA forum and Team Buick Forum

I found some photos from this , very long thread.

http://forums.aaca.org/f163/55-century-convertible-project-272999-14.html

I lifted the photos and pasted them here;55BuickFrame.jpg

55Buickshock.jpg

Here's a thread that conversion to telescope shocks;

Rear shocks century 1955

55Buickairplaneshock.jpg

55BuickAirplaneshock2.jpg

55Buickairplaneshock3.jpg

55Buickairplaneshock4.jpg

55Buickairplaneshock5.jpg

these are a '52 Buick , not the same as '55. but, similar;

52BuickShock2.jpg

52BuickShock.jpg

52Buickshocklinks.jpg

James did a great job on researching the problem and cure! If the shocks in fact are missing, then you can consider converting to tube type or get some used ones (complete setup), fill with hydraulic jack fluid and install. If they are leakers, then see my website (Low tech tips for mid 50) for my solution. The lever shocks are much maligned mainly because they are 'different' and old technology, when in fact they will outlast the car unless run dry for a long time --- you cannot wear them out.

Willie

Guest Roadster911

Oh, wonderful. You guys are gonna laugh but it appears I had it ALL wrong! Not being familiar with this set up and new to Buick in general, I expected a shock absorber coming through the spring and since there's none I assumed it's missing. Looking at the pictures you provided, I believe I have all THAT in place!!{???} But the rear end is bouncing around like crazy, could it be just low fluid?? Again, thank you. Roman

Oh, wonderful. You guys are gonna laugh but it appears I had it ALL wrong! Not being familiar with this set up and new to Buick in general, I expected a shock absorber coming through the spring and since there's none I assumed it's missing. Looking at the pictures you provided, I believe I have all THAT in place!!{???} But the rear end is bouncing around like crazy, could it be just low fluid?? Again, thank you. Roman

The shocks on mine are the factory shocks. They've been rebuilt twice, now. Yours probably need rebuilding. Or it could be they are low on fluid.........

Guest Roadster911

Took a look under and sure enough it's all there. Posting few pictures. The connecting links are very loose though, missing bushings and two different lengths... is it stock that passenger side is shorter? Also, cant find the link on how to refill shocks, can anyone point it out? Can it be done mounted or have to be removed? Thank you all.

post-89251-143141717204_thumb.jpg

post-89251-143141717236_thumb.jpg

post-89251-143141717265_thumb.jpg

you need to get a copy of the '55 shop manual. There are copies on EBay print and on CD.

When My camera is handy i'll take a picture (and post it here) of the shop manual section on filling the shocks. ....

you'll need to clean off the top of the shock real good. Get all the dirt off there.

Guest Roadster911

big THX James, I'll go through it and will get my own manual right away. I'll keep up with progress but time is limited during work week. Thank you. Roman

Guest Roadster911
dual exhaust 55.....if you still have the car jacked up can you please take pictures of the left exhaust pipe routing from the manifold back. Thanks
Im not with the car till end of the week, will do then for sure.