• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wex65

wex65

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

OK, slightly embarrassing but how the heck do you remove the steering wheel?! :(

I can raise the chrome ring around the horn button (I think it is the spark retard lever etc) a little but it appears to be spring loaded and only moves maybe 1/4-1/2 inch. When I raise it I do see the hex nut holding the steering wheel to the column, very frustrating...

Thanks,
Paul

IMG_0527.JPG

Edited by wex65, 17 January 2013 - 09:34 PM.

'55 Buick 2D Special
'55 Thunderbird
'30 Model A Coupe

#2 MCHinson

MCHinson

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7,172 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

You need to start at the other end of the steering column. Remove the light switch at the base of the steering gear, and you should find a retaining clip which prevents the horn rod from being removed. After removing the clip, you can pull the horn rod up, which will enable you to remove the steering wheel nut. You then can remove the steering wheel.
Matthew C. Hinson
1937 Buick Century, 1984 Buick Riviera, 1989 Buick Park Avenue
AACA Life Member, MAFCA, BCA

#3 wex65

wex65

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

Thanks a million, I knew it had to be something simple...it was...me!

Paul

You need to start at the other end of the steering column. Remove the light switch at the base of the steering gear, and you should find a retaining clip which prevents the horn rod from being removed. After removing the clip, you can pull the horn rod up, which will enable you to remove the steering wheel nut. You then can remove the steering wheel.

'55 Buick 2D Special
'55 Thunderbird
'30 Model A Coupe

#4 plymouthgoat

plymouthgoat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

Googled this sight for the same reason, steering wheel removal. I don't have an assembly manual yet as I just got my 29 Tudor. Thanks for the info. First time on the sight but I'll be back alot for tips and pictures.

#5 Dave Mellor NJ

Dave Mellor NJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,305 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:33 AM

Sometimes you don't have enough room in a coupe or closed truck. You might have to remove the back window.

#6 MCHinson

MCHinson

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7,172 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:55 PM

I would suggest that anyone having troubles simply read Les Andrew's Model A Mechanics Handbook. That clearly shows the two easiest ways to remove the complete steering assembly.
Matthew C. Hinson
1937 Buick Century, 1984 Buick Riviera, 1989 Buick Park Avenue
AACA Life Member, MAFCA, BCA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users