1938 Dodge d-8 crank-hole cover

Guest Kensf53

I believe that the item was chrome plated after the glass was attached. I don't think you can remove it without ruining the part. I would send it to one of the various medallion restoration shops online. Try here first....Emblemagic Classic Car Emblems and Badges - antique cloisonne badges and plastic insert emblems our two specialties

That is a pretty medallion, I dont think there is any possibility that it was chrome plated after the glass was installed because of the plating process but I would not want to attempt to remove it myself and I think you will find it difficult to find anyone that wold be willing to remove it and guarantee that it will not break.

Just a guess but I would not be surprised if the metal has swelled a bit over the years making its safe removal very difficult. Good luck

You will notice that the badge has no chrome UNDER the glass areas. That is because the item was chrome plated AFTER the glass was attached. The chrome plating process does not harm glass. I have researched this process and have spoken to the folks who do this process.

I have my badge for my 32 DL at sherms in Sacramento right now. I was told that they can be chromed with the glass. The disclaimer was if the glass is cracked or damaged it can be made worse in the heat of the chroming process. I was also told that if the glass is damaged it to can be fixed. Cross your fingers and save up your money :)

• 5 years later...

I know this is an old post, but I too need to know how to remove the badge.

Its loose, and can be lifted about 1/8 of an inch, from the base....not enough to see how its attached however.

Ray at Emblem Magic says it needs to come off prior to the glass being restored.

IMG_4246.jpg

IMG_4247.jpg