2013 Carlisle National Spring Meet Info = PA Vehicles Featured

Ron Green

To be held at the Carlisle fairgrounds May 30th, 31st & June 1st.

Please note that the details and logistics for this national meet are still being worked out and finalized. We have many more meetings to go. Here is what I have been asked to pass on. Please address all other inquiries to the meet chairman: Don Barlup - email pullman1914@aol.com or via phone at 717-790-9440.

• Building T, which will be open from 7:00 AM till 5:00 PM Thursday and Friday and until 3:00 PM on Saturday, at the Carlisle Fairgrounds, will be featuring Pennsylvania headquartered and manufactured vehicles, which will be on display starting Thursday. If you have a vehicle that fits this description please contact the Meet Chairman Don Barlup or Bob Shultz at (717) 766-0457 or bobshop13@verizon.net. All PA vehicles will be judged in place in Building T and will receive a special commemorative memento of the occasion. You must pre-register your vehicle if you want it judged. We are hoping to fill the building so please consider registering your PA vehicle. I will try and post a list of the PA vehicles in the near future.

• The race car conditioning run will be on Friday at the fairgrounds. Details and times are still being worked out. No other is info available as of this date.

• Click here for a map of the area: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Carlisle,+P.A.&hl=en&ie=UTF8&view=map

• The Host hotel is the Hotel Carlisle (formerly the Embers), 1-800-692-7315. The Hotel Carlisle & Embers Convention Center is located four miles from the Carlisle Fairgrounds and will serve as the Meet Headquarters. The room rate will be $85.00 + taxes per night. It will be your responsibility to reserve your own room. Please contact the Meet Chairman Don Barlup for an alternative listing of area hotels, which are located in the general area of the host hotel. All activities and banquets will take place at the Hotel Carlisle.

• The Saturday car show will be held on the infield at the Carlisle Fairgrounds. Registration will be from 7:00 am till 11:00 am at the show field. Judging of show cars will begin promptly at 11:00 am. All vehicles must remain on the show field till 3:00 pm. Enter at Gate # 2.

• Trailer parking & self contained motor homes: There will be ample space available for motor homes at $50.00 regardless of stay (no hook ups) at the Carlisle Fairgrounds. Trailer parking will be available at the Carlisle Fairgrounds at $20.00 regardless of stay. There will be no motor home or trailer parking in the host hotel parking lots. Gettysburg Region workers (wearing dark blue logo T-shirts) will be available beginning at 9:00 am on Wednesday, May 29th to assist with parking. Please note. A motor home pulling a trailer will be $70.00 regardless of stay and will be parked together. Please enter at Gate # 1.

• Spectator parking: There will be ample free parking and admission at the Carlisle Fairgrounds. Enter at Gate # 3.

• The flea market and car corral will be located at the Carlisle Fairgrounds. The flea market and car corral will be operating from 8:00 am till 5:00 pm daily beginning Thursday, and from 8:00 am till 3:00 pm on Saturday. Space size 10 x 30. Indoor flea market space is available at the Fairgrounds, space size is 10 x 15. Car corral limited to 1988 and earlier non-modified vehicles.

• Car wash: Located at the Carlisle Fairgrounds Office Complex – You will need to bring your own towels and supplies.

• Overnight security will be provided at the Carlisle Fairgrounds from 10:00 PM till 6:00 AM Thursday and Friday nights only.

• Membership roundtable: Friday – 1:00 to 2:00 pm at the Hotel Carlisle. See meet info regarding the tours offers and times.

• Shuttle bus: On Saturday, a continuous shuttle bus service is available between the Hotel Carlisle and the Carlisle Fairgrounds from 7:00 AM till 4:00 PM. We will attempt to provide transportation between the Hotel Carlisle and the Fairgrounds for those needing it, to attend the Thursday and Friday evening activities. You must sign up at the Registration Desk in advance of the activity.

• Youth program: On Saturday an entertaining and educational program geared towards all age groups will take place from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM at Building T adjacent to the show field. Scheduled are automotive related contests for the younger ones and for the older ones a hands on session of how to work on an antique vehicle using tools of the day. For all age groups we will feature the in depth history of a few unique PA vehicles followed by rides given in several old vehicles ranging from a Model T to an Amphicar (land or water). All youth are encouraged to attend.

Edited by Ron Green (see edit history)

Thanks for the information Ron. I plan to attend and judge so I am interested in where the judges breakfast will take place, assume that will be at the Hotel Carlisle. Will there be judges parking at the fairgrounds? I'll keep checking back for updates as I know you guys are working on all the final details. Thanks for all your hard work, take care Ron.

I also don't see the Trivan of Frackville pa. 1962. Also the Hill vehicle of Fleetwood was sworn to have been built in 1868 and is in the Boyertown collection. Finally the early Chadwicks were legitimate autos but the later Chadwicks were merely golf carts , I think.

Edited by DAVE A
additional information (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
How about those PA built VW Rabbits?

Don't Forget about the Volkswagen Pickup Trucks built in Pennsylvania as well. Back in 1979-1984 the VW Pickup was only assembled in Pennsylvania and no where else in the world. After 1984, the VW Pickup was built in South Africa.

Just guessing here but I think the VW Rabbit and Pickup were probably not included because not enough of the parts used in these vehicles were actually built in Pennsylvania. Rabbits and Pickups were assembled in the plant at New Stanton, PA. using body panels made in South Carolina (IIRC). Some Engines and Transmissions were also made in the USA as well and MANY other parts. They just were not manufactured in PA. I sure hope that the people who put together the list for "Built in PA" did not just assume that all the parts were made overseas and shipped to PA to be assembled just because of the Volkswagen name.

I bet some AACA members don't know that the Rabbit used the same radio antenna used on some Fords from that time.

I would think that a lot of the older vehicles included in the "Built in PA" list were built from scratch in one plant using only parts made at that plant or another plant in PA. If that is not the case, then VWs should be included in this group.

After a discussion with the meet chairman and some research on where the Volkswagen of America was “headquartered” back in the day; in 2008 Volkswagen of America’s “headquarters” moved from Auburn Hills, Mich., to Herndon, Va.

Volkswagen’s Westmoreland (New Stanton PA) Assembly Plant was considered a manufacturing plant. The New Stanton PA plant manufactured the Golf / Rabbit (79–84); Rabbit GTI (83–84); Rabbit Pickup (1979–1982); the Golf Mk2 and GTI (85–89) and the Jetta (87–89).

After a discussion with the meet chairman and some research on where the Volkswagen of America was “headquartered” back in the day; in 2008 Volkswagen of America’s “headquarters” moved from Auburn Hills, Mich., to Herndon, Va.

Volkswagen’s Westmoreland (New Stanton PA) Assembly Plant was considered a manufacturing plant. The New Stanton PA plant manufactured the Golf / Rabbit (79–84); Rabbit GTI (83–84); Rabbit Pickup (1979–1982); the Golf Mk2 and GTI (85–89) and the Jetta (87–89).

Ron, Thank You for your post.

Maybe you could clarify something for me please. If I understand this post you are saying that the in order to be a "PA Vehicle" featured at this meet, the vehicle had to be built in Pennsylvania by a company whose headquarters was also located in Pennsylvania? If that is the criteria used then I can see how Volkswagens would not qualify.

FYI, the Volkswagen Plant at New Stanton, PA. closed on Thursday, July 14, 1988 after building 1,197,411 Volkswagens including a few 1989 models.

Ron, Thank You for your post.

Maybe you could clarify something for me please. If I understand this post you are saying that the in order to be a "PA Vehicle" featured at this meet, the vehicle had to be built in Pennsylvania by a company whose headquarters was also located in Pennsylvania? If that is the criteria used then I can see how Volkswagens would not qualify.

FYI, the Volkswagen Plant at New Stanton, PA. closed on Thursday, July 14, 1988 after building 1,197,411 Volkswagens including a few 1989 models.

Charlie, the intent of the committee in charge of this portion of the meet is to have true 100% PA vehicles that were both headquartered and build in Pennsylvania featured. With the said we certainly understand that VW manufacturing is a part of PA history so consideration would be given (possibly a Rabbit car and pick-up) to a few select VW’s for display with signage noting the PA connection.

I don’t believe that a special “featured” display like this with class judging in place has ever been done at a AACA national meet so we are learning. We are hoping to fill Building T at the fairgrounds with some historic and unusual PA vehicles that will interest many.

Which brings up an interesting question. Many, if not most PA "built" vehicles, especially after 1915 or so were "assembled" vehicles with few, if any, parts actually manufactured in PA. Where do you draw the line?

From the attached PDF of PA vehicles above; please tell me which manufactures from that list bought the majority of their parts for assembly and did not manufacture them at their plants since the majority of the vehicles on that list are in the 1898 to 1915 age range? Also where would a person find that information (especially vehicles prior to 1915) as I would like to do some follow up research on this and I can’t seem to find that info anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

We restored a 1917 Bell built in York, Pa. Assembled car, Lycoming engine, off the shelf chassis parts. I suspect maybe 20% of the car was actually manufactured locally. Same with most Pullmans in the teens. Read the Specifications pages in a Dykes Manual of the period and notice how few times "Own" comes up when referring to chassis parts. The list of "assembled" cars would be long indeed, especially in the teens and later. I think realistically you would have to define "Pennsylvania built" as "manufactured or assembled in PA by a PA based company".

Yes, possibly the committee should have inserted the word manufactured or assembled however the intent was to try and pin down true PA vehicles thus the reasoning for also inserting the word “headquartered”. Personally I think it would be impossible for anyone to accurately come up with a list of what parts that were manufactured in house for over 300 vehicles that are 80 to 100 years old. The list we are using for a base was developed by the Swigart Museum who in my option did a great job developing this document.

We are just a bunch of old car guys and gals trying to do the best we can in organizing a national meet and trying something a little different with this special PA vehicle feature display. Maybe it will work and maybe it won’t but we tried something different.

We are just a bunch of old car guys and gals trying to do the best we can in organizing a national meet and trying something a little different with this special PA vehicle feature display. Maybe it will work and maybe it won’t but we tried something different.

And we thank you and look forward to the meet, it'll be a good one for sure

Ron, what is the deadline for getting flea market spaces and is it already to late, thanks.

From our meet chairman: Deadline is April 30, although we will not turn down flea market vendors who show up for the meet as long as they are either willing to join AACA on the spot, or are already members.

From our meet chairman: Deadline is April 30, although we will not turn down flea market vendors who show up for the meet as long as they are either willing to join AACA on the spot, or are already members.

Got it Ron, thanks for your prompt response.

It's noted on the registration there is a $20 fee for trailer parking on the fairgrounds. The hotel I've chosen has limited trailer parking on a first-come basis. My question is, can the $20 fee be collected when I arrive in Carlisle, in the event my hotel lot is full, or must I pre-pay in advance when I register? Or I may just drive the car out.

Since we are expanding to other area nearby hotels they have asked that there be no trailer parking in their lots since many will be full. Typically the lots are not designed with too many extra parking spaces especially with trailers that can take 4 spaces plus at a time.

With that said and to answer your question: yes you will be able to pay for trailer parking the day of arrival if not already prepaid.

Guest grisby

Ron, unless I missed it, the flyer states what gates to bring in the trailers, show cars and parking.(gates 1,2,3 respectively)

What gate should vendors go to for checking in???

Thanks

Guest grisby
From the meet chairman: “All 3 gates will be open all 3 days. People will be available to direct those to each area. Gate 2 would be closest to the flea market.”

Thanks, I appreciate it!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Siegfried

Ron Green, I gather from the questions about Volkswagens built in Pa. (and after looking at the list of Pa. vehicles) that Pa. built Volkswagens will not be on display with the other Pa. built vehicles? If I'm correct no problem as I'll still bring my DPC '84 Rabbit to the show if I can get the water pump fixed before registration closes.

Incidently I like the idea of a special display for Pa. built vehicles.

From discussing this with the meet chairman and from my previous post below we would like a few VW’s to consider.

“we certainly understand that VW manufacturing is a part of PA history so consideration would be given (possibly a Rabbit car and pick-up) to a few select VW’s for display with signage noting the PA connection”

I noticed that trailer parking opens at 9 am on the Wednesday before this meet.

Has the Carlisle Fairgrounds management given the Gettysburg Region a time when the gates will be closed/locked in the evenings on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday?

Just wondering because some AACA members may be arriving late since they have to leave after work on one of these days.

Thanks.