• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 McMalcolm

McMalcolm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

Attached is part of a photograph that will be used on the back cover of an automobile book. It was taken in Fort Collins, CO around 1912. I'm trying to make sure I get the models of the two end cars correct and I'm not good at identifying them.

Do you think the end car is an Arco Touring Car? Is the one next to it a Model T? Thanks.

College Color Postcard BW Car Closeup.jpg

#2 CarlLaFong

CarlLaFong

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • LocationSunny SoCal

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

The second car is a Model T. Never heard of an Arco. It's too big to be an Argo and too small to be an ALCO

"Indecision is the key to flexibility"

John Callin

Formerly known as "58Mustang"

#3 trimacar

trimacar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,673 posts
  • LocationWinchester VA.

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

The car closest to the camera is a REO, 1910 Model R. The wings point up on the radiator badge, indicating 1910, and the Model R had the scuttle dash that the car in the picture has. This car would have been dark blue with a white/ivory running gear.

The second car, definitely Model T, but to me it looks like a 1914 or later car. I'll let the Ford guys comment on that.....

Edited by trimacar, 15 November 2012 - 09:07 PM.

David Coco
Winchester Va.
(early upholstery, will discuss
2015 projects)
1910 Model 20 Hupmobile runabout
1910 Buick Model 16 toy tonneau
1910 Hudson Model 20 fore door roadster
1927 Dodge fast four convertible coupe
1931 Chevrolet tudor
1931 Pierce Arrow Model 43 phaeton
1937 Cord standard phaeton
1938 Packard Super 8 convertible coupe
1953 Chevrolet 5 window pickup
1967 Lincoln Continental convertible
1969 Cutlass convertible
1971 Pontiac Firebird Esprit

#4 oldford

oldford

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:25 AM

The Ford in front is a 1915 or 1916. Not earlier or later. In a black and white photo, can't tell the difference. the car behind the Ford is another Model T same year...

Frank

#5 Seldenguy

Seldenguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:49 AM

The Ford is a 1915 T roadster. The photo quite clearly shows the brass headlight doors and the brass trimmed sidelights. These features were not carried into the 1916 model year. --Bob

#6 Hudsy Wudsy

Hudsy Wudsy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

I find it interesting to note that those fine hitching rails (for tethering horses, of course), which look to have been installed to last the ages, are already completely obsolete next to the cars. Time has a way of marching on.

#7 Woodfiddler

Woodfiddler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationAtchison, Kansas, USA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

David - Help! For my benefit and for the benefit of others like me, can you explain what a scuttle dash is versus an "unscuttled" dash? Also - I have a hard time examining the badge on the radiator. How do you do it and is there a picture to help explain? Thank You!
Chuck

#8 trimacar

trimacar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,673 posts
  • LocationWinchester VA.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

Hi Chuck...a "scuttle" dash is one that slope gently out and back from the hood, as opposed to a "flat dash" which is found on many early cars, just a flat wood dashboard where the hood ends and the body begins. A scuttle dash begins at the back hood former (the pieces that support the back of the hood) and continue smoothly back. Look at the picture and you'll see the windshield is attached well behind the hood, on the sloping (scuttle) dash....

Knowing it's a Reo, then one can look at the fuzzy picture and see that there are "wings" sticking off the side of the radiator badge, identifying it as a 1910...

#9 Woodfiddler

Woodfiddler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationAtchison, Kansas, USA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

Flat versus scuttle - got it. Thank you David.

Your willingness to share your knowledge, your professionalism, and dedication to this "sport" of antique car caretaking is paralleled by only a few wonderful folks and because of your passion and cheer, folks like me learn from the best teachers. Thanks again.
Chuck

#10 trimacar

trimacar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,673 posts
  • LocationWinchester VA.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

Well, thanks, I enjoy the forum a lot....I've learned it's fun to both learn new things, and to share information....except about the pressure per square inch a tire exerts on a garage floor being equal to the pressure in the tire....that was a rough thread!!

#11 keiser31

keiser31

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 20,642 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, OREGON

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

Hi Chuck...a "scuttle" dash is one that slope gently out and back from the hood, as opposed to a "flat dash" which is found on many early cars, just a flat wood dashboard where the hood ends and the body begins. A scuttle dash begins at the back hood former (the pieces that support the back of the hood) and continue smoothly back. Look at the picture and you'll see the windshield is attached well behind the hood, on the sloping (scuttle) dash....

Knowing it's a Reo, then one can look at the fuzzy picture and see that there are "wings" sticking off the side of the radiator badge, identifying it as a 1910...

May be a 1910, but a different model than this 1910 REO? Rear fenders differ....

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 3042.jpg

Edited by keiser31, 20 November 2012 - 04:30 PM.

1931 Dodge Brothers DH6 business coupe w/ wire wheels
1931 Dodge Brothers DH6 business coupe w/ wood wheels (my 1st car and still have it)
and visions of my past old cars....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users