1957 Buick Super Build

doing your own sanding on the bumpers- interesting, never really even thought about that. It's a ton of work, does it save much?

It saves about half and on these cars that adds up to a very big savings. Also you know just what kind of a job your getting.

Almost all of the chrome is done with the exception of a few small items like the Buick letters on the hood that I forgot on my last trip to the chrome shop and the 7-push buttons for the heater controls on the 57' Olds dash. Other then that all the chrome will be done next week. I pulled the body Saturday and am building all the brake & fuel lines and then the carrier bearing for the 2-piece driveline. I also will be assembling the engine in the next few weeks.

Edited by 421-6speed (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Guess I need to post a few pics of my progress. I assembled the front end to check how everything was going to fit then disassembled and pulled the body to finish off the last of the chassis. I decided to make my own carrier bearing using the original cup from the 66' Wildcat drive line I am using. I cut the spot welds off the flange that attached to the cut and then bolted to the frame of the Wildcat. Then used a piece of 2-1/2" box tubing to make the pedestal. It worked out real nice. I also welded in a piece of 3/16" plate on the bottom of the X-member to give the carrier bearing a nice mounting surface. In order to make the Wildcat drive line fit my chassis I had to cut a section out of the front drive line and then add a section to the back drive line. This gave me the mocked up drive line to take to be rebuilt. The reason I decided to use the original carrier is now I can install new U-joints in what I have and have a new rear tube installed, balance it and I am done. If I would have bought a new billet carrier I would have had to build a whole new drive line. This drive line also has a slip joint. I also made up the tabs for the rear sway bar links and welded them on. Now I am plumbing the brakes and will post some pics of that soon.

post-82368-14314173322_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143141733223_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143141733225_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143141733227_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143141733229_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143141733231_thumb.jpg

oooh- very cool. A german 2 piece driveshaft- not a bad idea! The 57 Buick has a really nice look- both retro and contemporary. Good choice!

Guest stickerdick

Very nice, I was wondering if you could tell me if you are running a narrowed track width or did you have to trim inside the fenders to run the larger wheels and tires? I'm going to be running the front end basically stock, but the rear is up in the air, I'm think very hard about copying your build for the rear, but no air ride, planning on coilovers and I was wanting to run dic breakes in front, drums in rear, but I am worried if the same size wheels and tires you have will fit on my 57 century coupe?

Very nice, I was wondering if you could tell me if you are running a narrowed track width or did you have to trim inside the fenders to run the larger wheels and tires? I'm going to be running the front end basically stock, but the rear is up in the air, I'm think very hard about copying your build for the rear, but no air ride, planning on coilovers and I was wanting to run dic breakes in front, drums in rear, but I am worried if the same size wheels and tires you have will fit on my 57 century coupe?

Mark,

The track width on the C4 is the same as the stock 57' Buick 59-1/2". If you go back and read the first post of this thread I explain this. I custom ordered my wheels so I fit the wheels to the car, not the car to the wheels. I am running coilovers on all four corners.

Guest stickerdick
Mark,

The track width on the C4 is the same as the stock 57' Buick 59-1/2". If you go back and read the first post of this thread I explain this. I custom ordered my wheels so I fit the wheels to the car, not the car to the wheels. I am running coilovers on all four corners.

Dan, Thanks for the info, I did see that earlier, I guess I was not paying attention. I really like your build and the documentation of it. I don't even come close to your Fabrication skills, but I am using your process to influance my build. I look forward to your postings in the future.

• 1 month later...
Dan, Thanks for the info, I did see that earlier, I guess I was not paying attention. I really like your build and the documentation of it. I don't even come close to your Fabrication skills, but I am using your process to influance my build. I look forward to your postings in the future.

Mark, Thanks for the complements and glad I am able to help.

Well I have made a bit more progress. I dropped the frame off at the powder coater Tuesday and picked it up today. Also have the 425 assembled. I tried to use the PML valley cover with oil fill and PCV with the Eelco 3X2 intake. In order to make it woke it has to be turned around back wards as shown in the pic and would need to have the carburetor planes milled and the holes redrilled so I decided to go with another valley cover. Next step is assmeble the chassis. The rear end housing is up at Scribner Welding having the final welding on the brackets & control arms.

post-82368-143141811071_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143141811073_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143141811075_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143141811077_thumb.jpg

post-82368-14314181108_thumb.jpg

Guest stickerdick
Mark, Thanks for the complements and glad I am able to help.

Well I have made a bit more progress. I dropped the frame off at the powder coater Tuesday and picked it up today. Also have the 425 assembled. I tried to use the PML valley cover with oil fill and PCV with the Eelco 3X2 intake. In order to make it woke it has to be turned around back wards as shown in the pic and would need to have the carburetor planes milled and the holes redrilled so I decided to go with another valley cover. Next step is assmeble the chassis. The rear end housing is up at Scribner Welding having the final welding on the brackets & control arms.

Dan, I am using your build as my inspiration and I bought a 8.8" rear end out of an explorer, it has a 3.73 limited slip gear, disk brakes and seems to be the same width as the stock rear end. I also have my name on the waiting list at my local you pick it yard for the corvette front assembly. I'm looking forward to your build thread updates.

Dan, I am using your build as my inspiration and I bought a 8.8" rear end out of an explorer, it has a 3.73 limited slip gear, disk brakes and seems to be the same width as the stock rear end. I also have my name on the waiting list at my local you pick it yard for the corvette front assembly. I'm looking forward to your build thread updates.

I would watch craigslist for the front clip. I don't know about the bone yards down there but up here they are higher then the balls on a giraffe.

Here is one that looks to be at a bone yard in your area.

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/ptd/3613631169.html

Guest stickerdick
I would watch craigslist for the front clip. I don't know about the bone yards down there but up here they are higher then the balls on a giraffe.

Here is one that looks to be at a bone yard in your area.

1987 corvette auto

You are right, it is not too far from me, but I don't deal with those guys too much, my guy has always been pretty straight up with me and I have been watching craigslist too, so I'll keep looking.

• 1 month later...
Guest Rob McDonald

Ooo, this is awkward. I know you've got lots done and really well done, too. Please don't be embarrassed because lots of men, especially, have some level of colour blindness. Okay, I'll blurt it out now - YOU'VE PAINTED THE ENGINE RED, NOT BUICK BLUE-GREEN. Sorry to be the one to tell you.

Ooo, this is awkward. I know you've got lots done and really well done, too. Please don't be embarrassed because lots of men, especially, have some level of colour blindness. Okay, I'll blurt it out now - YOU'VE PAINTED THE ENGINE RED, NOT BUICK BLUE-GREEN. Sorry to be the one to tell you.

Rob, The engine is the correct color as it is a 1966 425...

http://forums.aaca.org/f115/nailhead-questions-401-425-2x4-availability-286524.html

Guest Rob McDonald

Okay, you're excused. Very cool work you're doing, btw.

CURIOUS: "Elco 3X2" - 54fins recognized that as a three 2-barrel carb setup. I gather Elco is a hotrod carburetor manufacturer? How do their units compare with OEM carbs, like Rochester - functionally any better or just better finished for show?

Okay, you're excused. Very cool work you're doing, btw.

CURIOUS: "Elco 3X2" - 54fins recognized that as a three 2-barrel carb setup. I gather Elco is a hotrod carburetor manufacturer? How do their units compare with OEM carbs, like Rochester - functionally any better or just better finished for show?

Rob, I figured you were just giving me a hard time...brow.gifThe EELCO intake that I have is drilled for Rochester 2G carbs. The EELCO can also be drilled for Strombergs but, everything I have has tripower, all GM, and I just happened to have another set of real end (secondary) carbs so I chose the 3X2 intake. Also here are a couple of pics of the 425 before I rebuilt it and then the 3X2 on my 401 that I used for mock up.

post-82368-143141884392_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143141884394_thumb.jpg

Guest Hector

I really like the aproach and the way that you are going about it on this car,it will be stunning when finished.I have been following the thread for a while and I look forward for your progress reports.Please consider in the future to submitt a write up to the Buick Modified Division(BMD) for publication on the Buicks Our Way newsletter,it will please many.Keep up the good work!

I really like the aproach and the way that you are going about it on this car,it will be stunning when finished.I have been following the thread for a while and I look forward for your progress reports.Please consider in the future to submitt a write up to the Buick Modified Division(BMD) for publication on the Buicks Our Way newsletter,it will please many.Keep up the good work!

Hector,

As with any project time and patients produce good results. I would be happy to submit a write up to the BMD on this build. Thank you for your complements and support on this project.

Guest 54fins

I ended up finding 3) 65 rivieras in a junkyard. To my amazement, the rear end is perfect, I believe 59.5 track width. The C4 stuff will go elsewhere, I kinda liked the idea of a straight axel. Not that independent would not be super cool, but I'm trying to keep it older Buick stuff. The rivs are posi 3.08 so I might still get a little burn out. And they have the mother brake drums and the 5 on 5 pattern. Rivs have a lot of cool stuff, ac, gages, seats. I can highly recommend scarfing up a rusty 64 to 66 Riviera for a Buick touring setup. I even like the front end, although I didn't use it. Don't know if you can get different gearsets, but 3.08 is a reasonable compromise between get up and go and cruising. I believe I calculated about 2600 at 75 MPH, not bad without overdrive. Then going with a 4 link triangulated setup, fits perfect on the 54 frame. I'm a little more constrained as I want to have the option of putting the body back on the original frame. Do check out a Riviera rear end, even the drum brakes are cool.

Looking at the 57 frame, it is very similar to the 54 to 56 frame. Much lower, and the body is wider but looks like the same track width. Looks like your Pontiac rear end is very similar to the riv rear end. I was going to use the springs but now a coil over shock might be a better choice, don't want to mess with trying to get the right ride height.

post-74392-143141898248_thumb.jpg

post-74392-143141898271_thumb.jpg

Edited by 54fins (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to build my exhaust next. First step was to build my exhaust tips. I picked up another parts car that had a nice set of bumper ends that will work great for my mock up. I used a piece of 2-1/2" SS .063 exhaust tubing for the tip and then slipped a piece of 2-1/4" SS .063 exhaust tubing inside to complete the tip. These two will get tig welded and use a band clap to attach the tip to the rest of the 2-1/4" system. To finish off the tip I will tig weld a piece of 1/4" SS round stock around the perimeter.

post-82368-1431419232_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143141923202_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143141923205_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143141923206_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 54fins

Here is a 57 at good guys that blew me away. The build was spectacular, but he put in Packard taillights and it was impressive.

post-74392-143141947452_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
Looking mighty nice. Interesting placement of the four link trailing arms. I have never researched this so I wonder if they help control sway this way?

Thanks for the complement. It is the same system that is in the back of the Buick in your avatar only the upper control arms are attached on the front of the axle housing rather then the top. This allows you more room and a lower ride height. You can check it out here. http://www.artmorrison.com/instructions/tri4-bar1-Model.pdf

I got started on the exhaust this week. I bought my supplies from Columbia River Mandrel Bending. http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog...FRFxQgodpwoAow

Great people to deal with and they are fairly close by in Saint Helens, Oregon so I was able to run down there and pick up my stuff. Original exhaust was 2". I was able to bump the exhaust manifold flange out just a hair on a friends exhaust machine to accept 2-1/4" mild steel 16 gauge tubing...brow.gif. The original system also used ball socket/flange fittings but I decided to use the V-Band Clamps for a cleaner look. I also made some hangers for the front that basically imitate the flange hangers that were used originally stole the rear hangers off my 57' Olds parts car for where the exhaust exits the rear of the X-member. I had some nice conveyer belt material from one of the log mills lying around so I used it to make the rubber straps. Here are a few pics.

post-82368-143142272935_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143142272938_thumb.jpg

post-82368-14314227294_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143142272942_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143142272944_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143142272946_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143142272948_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143142272949_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143142272951_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143142272953_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143142272954_thumb.jpg

Guest shorty7

Dan, The car is lookin Great, what colors are you thinking exterior and interior? Keep the progress photo's coming!!! Great workmanship!!!!!!!

I did find a single front spindle and I'm planning on sending to fatman suspension to get lowering spindles for our 57 buick.

Rob

Dan, The car is lookin Great, what colors are you thinking exterior and interior? Keep the progress photo's coming!!! Great workmanship!!!!!!!

I did find a single front spindle and I'm planning on sending to fatman suspension to get lowering spindles for our 57 buick.

Rob

Rob, Glad to hear you found a spindle to send off and thanks for the complement. I was thinking Black with a red and silver interior.

• 1 month later...

Okay got a few more things done. Got the exhaust all fit and tacked in as well as the tailpipes. I ended up just doing a bologna cut on the tailpipes. I think it fits the bumper ends real nice. I used 1957 Oldsmobile hangers just before the exhaust exits the "X" member and had to clearance the floor boards slightly and cut the end of the bracket to fit. I made all the other hangers. Also got the buckets mounted. I made plates with studs similar to what like GM did in the vehicles that used these seats then tacked them to the floor for now. Also picked up another parts car today. 1957 Buick Century 2dr ht.

post-82368-143142322135_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143142322138_thumb.jpg

post-82368-14314232214_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143142322141_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143142322144_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143142322145_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143142322147_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143142322149_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143142322151_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143142322152_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143142322154_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143142322156_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143142322157_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143142322159_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143142322161_thumb.jpg

post-82368-143142322162_thumb.jpg

I see you have been busy. The car is looking great! Can't wait to see it all buttoned up.

Thank you. I will be glad to get it buttoned up myself. Hopfully I will be driving it in Dapple Grey this summer to get the bugs worked out then will be taking apart in the fall for paint.