• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Wolfe

Tim Wolfe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

What was correct for a 1930 Chrysler copper or steel? Painted or not?

#2 Bill Harmatuk

Bill Harmatuk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:34 PM

Tim
My CJ has a copper brake line, (to my surprise), that I had to scrape with a pocket knife to see what it was made of / from.

My gas line is steel, but I will check to see.
Vacuum lines are un painted steel. They thread thru the cowl and wind shield to supply the wiper motor. I handle them gently to preserve the crooks bend and curves.

Marty Lum sent me some factory pictures of a 30 Desoto CK chassis that was painted black with the gas tank and cover installed. All black.
My question to Mary was the correct color of the gas tank and bands.
I am assuming that the brake lines and fuel lines would be installed before the body was set... Also painted black... Or semi gloss black.

Bill Harmatuk

#3 dudford

dudford

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:24 AM

TimMy CJ has a copper brake line, (to my surprise), that I had to scrape with a pocket knife to see what it was made of / from.My gas line is steel, but I will check to see.Vacuum lines are un painted steel. They thread thru the cowl and wind shield to supply the wiper motor. I handle them gently to preserve the crooks bend and curves. Marty Lum sent me some factory pictures of a 30 Desoto CK chassis that was painted black with the gas tank and cover installed. All black. My question to Mary was the correct color of the gas tank and bands.I am assuming that the brake lines and fuel lines would be installed before the body was set... Also painted black... Or semi gloss black.Bill Harmatuk

I've got to concur with Bill, even my coupe has a copper brake line and steel gas line. Unfortunatley I have no vacuum lines because someone butchered in a Lucas electric wiper motor. Perhaps they couldn't put up with no wiper action while going up steep hills?Hey Bill, hope its not too cheeky to ask but could you forward me those factory pics of the DeSoto? dudford@hotmail.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users