• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 lovesolderplymouths

lovesolderplymouths

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:01 PM

Seriously, were any Mets ever used as taxis? Did anyone get the owner's story behind this "cutie"? I see it was awarded a 1st Junior.

#2 edb1946

edb1946

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:16 PM

Resto was done by Metropolitan Restoration Service. I think they are located in PA. Had a chance to speak with them this year after looking at the taxi in their spots. Younger guys who do incredible work. They specialize in metros and sell parts for them but said they work on other make/models. Their work speaks for itself

#3 jreeder41

jreeder41

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:46 AM

Thanks for the compliment. The car was built for a good customer we met at hershey 3 years ago. We bought the car just after hershey last year and finished the restoration two weeks before hershey.

#4 charlier

charlier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

Great little car. :)

I understand this car is a Taxi, but the Nash in Class 04-B (aka the "Small Car Class" ) seemed lonely by itself. :(
With the dwindling number of Volkswagens at Fall Hershey in Class 04-B, it could always use another entry.
Charlie

#5 jreeder41

jreeder41

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:19 PM

Here is the photobucket link to the restoration photos.

Macmillan Taxi Metro pictures by jonpreeder - Photobucket

And more on our Facebook page

http://www.facebook....168659756478438

Edited by jreeder41, 16 October 2012 - 09:32 PM.

#6 jgmets

jgmets

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:52 PM

Their were 2 Mets in 04B A yellow & white 57 and my black & white 61. we wonder why they made a small car class for the Metros and Vw's.

#7 Stonefish

Stonefish

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:16 PM

Join the fun??

http://forums.aaca.o...04b-293215.html
Ron Mann
Historian and Archivist for The Pennsylvania Hill Climb Association (read about it in Oct. 2011 issue of Hemmings)
1965 SCCA/PHA prepared Notchback, 1966 Kombi, 1968 Beetle, 1969 Kombi, 1970 Squareback, 1971 Fastback, 1972 Subaru GL "The Superoo", 1973 Thing, 1976 Puch Newport, 1977 Puch Maxi, 1983 Rabbit LS, 1986 Cabriolet, 1987 Viper "A" Sports Racer, 1996 Harlequin Golf

#8 edb1946

edb1946

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:05 AM

Thanks for the compliment. The car was built for a good customer we met at hershey 3 years ago. We bought the car just after hershey last year and finished the restoration two weeks before hershey.

Thanks are on this side of the table. It was great to see the younger guys making a living at it and keeping the hobby living on.

#9 Mochet

Mochet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:09 AM

So was the Met originally a taxi? I know they had small ones:

3549106778_a722ca2c1a.jpg
Hanomag Komisbrot Taxi

Phil

#10 stock_steve

stock_steve

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:10 PM

GREAT CAR! A ton of fun to look at, and a superb resto!

Hershey12MetTaxiForForumsR.JPG

But how did you manage to avoid the *dreaded* class 04B?

When I registered our 1954 VW for this year's show (we ended up not bringing it since we brought another car and our car trailer only fits one car), I specifically put down class 27A on the form, but when we picked up our packets in the Chocolate Field the day before the show, we found that the VW had been assigned to 04B!

I thought we would be able to choose to continue in the "original AACA class" in which we had *always* participated--which for us, with our '54 VW, was 27A!

What's your secret?!

Edited by stock_steve, 17 October 2012 - 05:15 PM.

Stock Steve
Antique VW Driver/Antique Auto Enthusiast
AACA Member No. 596580J
Late-model Buick driver too! BCA Member No. 47004
-----
Shoreline Antique Auto Connection -
http://home.comcast....ACMainPage.html
-----
Ich Bin Ein Facebooker: https://www.facebook.../steve.fromsaac
-----
"Vintage Details" - Old School metal tire valve stem caps for sale:
http://www.thesamba.....php?id=1416217
-----
Thanks Veterans.

#11 Stonefish

Stonefish

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:48 PM

The car was registered in class 37b….for professional vehicles 1943-1987. Listed as a Nash…it may not have known that it was a Met, until the day of the show??
I guess the question goes back to the first post: "Were any Mets ever used as taxis"? Or, was the car just done up to look like one, for fun? If they were used at Taxis…then why couldn't it stay in 37b? If they weren't…then I guess it should be in 04b (which in turn would bring up the "presented from the factory" discussion)
Like the Crosley truck in the "moved to 04b thread" this is just another example on why 04b is a flawed concept. (please, please put it back to the way it was!)
"Production vehicles built with a small frame
and small engine: named vehicles only. The
vehicles can attract a large audience due to
their miniature size; placing them in other
classes can cause them to be hidden from
view. This class is still being developed and it is
recognized that there are vehicles that can and
will be added to the list of those named with the
approval of the VP-Class Judging."
American Austin
American Bantam
Austin Cooper
Autobianchi
Bantam
BMW Isetta
Citroen 2CV
Crofton
Crosley
DKW
Honda S500/S600
Isetta
Iso Isetta
King Midget
Metropolitan
Nash Metropolitan
Morris Mini Cooper
Morris Minor
Peel
Playboy
Renault Caravelle
Subaru 360
Vespa 400
Velorex
Volkswagen

Ron Mann
Historian and Archivist for The Pennsylvania Hill Climb Association (read about it in Oct. 2011 issue of Hemmings)
1965 SCCA/PHA prepared Notchback, 1966 Kombi, 1968 Beetle, 1969 Kombi, 1970 Squareback, 1971 Fastback, 1972 Subaru GL "The Superoo", 1973 Thing, 1976 Puch Newport, 1977 Puch Maxi, 1983 Rabbit LS, 1986 Cabriolet, 1987 Viper "A" Sports Racer, 1996 Harlequin Golf

#12 jreeder41

jreeder41

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:25 AM

We felt since it was a professional car it was in the correct class. The owner simply registered it in class 37b.

#13 Bill Clark

Bill Clark

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:42 AM

re: placing them in other classes can cause them to be hidden from view.

Thats funny right there. These 04B cars might as well have been parked behind the DPC cars in the woods. I didn't register my Met for the show because I had to leave early on Saturday, but I had far more people look at it where it was parked in the flea market than would have seen it at the show in class 04B.

Bill

#14 lovesolderplymouths

lovesolderplymouths

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:27 PM

Right, Stonefish. My original post raised the question of authenticity for a Metropolitan Taxi. There is no denying this Met was beautifully restored, and a crowd-pleaser! Is there any documentation of Mets being used as taxis, or was it done for fun? If done for fun, how does this vehicle fit into the AACA philosophy of authenticity judging?

#15 MCHinson

MCHinson

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7,172 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

I have no idea if any taxi company every used Metropolitans. In my opinion, I would say that basically any car could have been used by an independent cab company, so in that regard it could have been adapted for use as a cab when new, so it is as fair for AACA judging as any other vehicle. With the exception of Checker, has there ever been a cab that came from the factory as a cab?

The judging guidelines notes for the Professional Vehicle Class indicates: "Professional vehicles shall include all ambulances, funeral vehicles, taxis, police cars and other 4-wheel automobile based professional vehicles." I would say that the Metropolitan appears to meet the requirement for the class.

Matthew C. Hinson
1937 Buick Century, 1984 Buick Riviera, 1989 Buick Park Avenue
AACA Life Member, MAFCA, BCA

#16 Stonefish

Stonefish

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:54 PM

So...the Professional Vehicle Class "trumps" the 04b class? Here is where things get fuzzy and why 04b's existence makes no sense....
If 04b is to capture ALL small cars (listed) so that they are "not hidden from view"…why can some folks select to enter their car into other classes?
Matt…using your "it fits the requirements for the class" argument…. Why couldn't Stock-Steve select 27a to show his 1954 VW? It "fits" the requirement of the class, right?
You have the Met in the Professional class…you had a Crosley truck in with the trucks…yet 04b was created so these "small cars" would not get hidden??? I don't get it?
So…could a Karman Ghia be shown with the sports cars? I suspect a VW double or single cab would be allowed to show with the trucks? Talk about painting yourself into a corner.
Again…by no means here to discredit the Met…car is great!

Ron Mann

#17 Skyking

Skyking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,155 posts
  • LocationRhode Island / Florida

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:35 PM

Is there any documentation of Mets being used as taxis, or was it done for fun?

According to Patrick Foster, the author of The Metropolitan Story, Mets were used as Police vehicles, Fire Chief vehicles Radio Stations and postal workers with some delivery companies mentioned, but no mention of a taxi cab. Although the model company, Highway 61 claims that New York used them to carry single passengers short distances. If you think about it, there was no outside trunk access for luggage until 1959.
Bob
1962 Buick Invicta Convertible
1954 Metropolitan Convertible
1957 Metropolitan Coupe
1960 Metropolitan Coupe (Gold National Winner) 399 1/2 points out of 400
2000 Buick Century
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
2015 Chevrolet Equinox

MOCNA/Yankee Mets

When people rob banks they go to prison.
When they rob the taxpayer they get re-elected.

#18 edb1946

edb1946

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

According to Patrick Foster, the author of The Metropolitan Story, Mets were used as Police vehicles, Fire Chief vehicles Radio Stations and postal workers with some delivery companies mentioned, but no mention of a taxi cab. Although the model company, Highway 61 claims that New York used them to carry single passengers short distances. If you think about it, there was no outside trunk access for luggage until 1959.

I was waiting to see where this thread went to. But yes New York did used them as a taxi for a short period. I know this because my father bought one used from them to promote his taxi business. But mainly used it to drive back and fourth to work. We have photos someplace of it. But i cannot Figure out where i put them. Old age is a bugger.

#19 West Peterson

West Peterson

"Antique Automobile" Editor

• Moderators
  • 9,113 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:13 PM

So...the Professional Vehicle Class "trumps" the 04b class? Here is where things get fuzzy and why 04b's existence makes no sense....

Ronn
I'm sure a car owner has a choice of which class to show, but if he were to show his commercial vehicle in its regular class, he would be docked points for any non-factory-authorized items, such as color, striping, lettering, commercial equipment, wheels, or whatever else may have been added to make it a work vehicle. A Model A owner can get away with painting his sedan delivery a non-factory color with special advertising on its side as long as it's entered in the commercial class. However, if he entered in the stock class, he'd be docked points for the paint and advertising.

West Peterson, Editor
Antique Automobile (AACA)

No man treats a motorcar as foolishly as he treats another human being. When the car will not go, he does not attribute its annoying behavior to sin, he does not say, "You are a wicked motorcar and I shall not give you any more petrol until you go." He attempts to find out what is wrong and set it right. – Bertrand Russel

"Things are more like they are now than they've ever been!" – Uncle Arni

#20 MCHinson

MCHinson

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7,172 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:24 PM

Stonefish,

I don't necessarly disagree with your thoughts about the Small Car Class. My own personal pet peeve is mini-bikes that were never intended to be street legal being shown in AACA meets, but I don't expect to see that changed because there are too many people who want to show them.

I suspect that the owner of the Met in question, simply registered it in the Professional Vehicles Class, and my intrepretation of the Judging Guidelines looks like that class is appropriate for the taxi. I realize you really want to eliminate the Small Car class. Constant complaints on the forum will not achieve the change you want. Getting a majority of those with small vehicles to contact the VP of Class Judging requesting elimination of the class is your best bet. A large letter/email writing campaign will get attention much better than complaints on the discussion forum.
Matthew C. Hinson
1937 Buick Century, 1984 Buick Riviera, 1989 Buick Park Avenue
AACA Life Member, MAFCA, BCA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users